Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:48 pm

I'm not going to watch it if I can't get someone to come with me. Watching movies alone at the theater isn't fun. If there's no Japanese version, I may have to reconsider going even with friends.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:20 pm

I'd go see it twice if it was shown here in Norway. And I could go see it twice (dubbed and subbed) if I was in france at the time it will be shown.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:28 pm

I want to watch it on the cinema but I'd rather watch it subbed in Japanese or dubbed in Castillan rather than FUNi's English dub so I guess I'll just wait for the home media Blu-ray release.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:32 am

I'd love to watch it in theaters, but the only way I'll be able to do so is to trojan my way into the theater (Basically get some family friends to take me to see a movie my parents would actually approve of, with one of those family friends knowing that I want to see a different movie... and even that friend won't know which movie. Don't worry, I'll buy a ticket out of my own money).

My parents know nothing about Dragon Ball in general, and I intend to keep things that way.

...and before you ask, I'll be 24 right before Valentine's Day.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:00 pm

I doubt it is showing in UK cinemas, but even if it is I won't see it as I very rarely go to the cinema anymore anyway. I don't think it represents good value for money these days.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:48 pm

TheRed259 wrote:I saw this video yesterday.

Basically the guy in the video says that he will not go and see the new movie because of the spoilers. So I wanted to know, if there are any other DB fans (if you happen to know or if you are one of them) who will not see this movie in theaters (when it's available in their country) and what's the reason for that decision.
spoilers about what? this movie bearly have a storyline

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:12 pm

I'm still thinking about it. I really don't care. The only question I truly want to know is if Broly lives or dies. Other than that I can predict to a T exactly how this movie will play out, and that's boring. Battle of Gods you weren't too sure, and had an ending you weren't expecting.

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:40 am

Probably won't go see do to a combination of having work tomorrow and the in general not liking what I see of the new Broly in general as a character from the trailers(he feels really boring and 1-dimensional). I'll hopefully catch it online sometime later.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:02 am

Ignoring all the “because dub” comments, I’m not seeing either but for different reasons.

I just have no interest. I spoiled myself purposely when they first dropped and I wasn’t impressed at the least. I tried to care, I really did, but I can’t bring myself to.

For one, they adapted Minus and it’s still as bad as ever. Two, I don’t care about another Goku and Vegeta movie. For all it’s issues; the ToP was a step in the right direction with actually using other characters. But they went right back to the old formula. Also I’m really not on board with rebooting characters from the old movies and making them “canon”. It’s a cheap way of making your movie popular. On the topic of Broly I really don’t like what they did with him. He’s basically full blooded Saiyan Gohan now. For all his faults I really like movie 8 Broly and I was sad to see that he was all but wiped away in favor of this new “he’s a good boy don’t hurt him” version nd when he inevitably joins the cast that puts the final nail in the coffin of anyone else doing anything significant. Also not seeing what the hype about Cheelai is either.

Honestly, I wholeheartedly believe that the large majority of the reason this movie is so popular is because of the animation. It’s really something special going by the trailers so people are more forgiving and are just in awe of the visuals. If DBS Broly looked like BoG or RF, it would be viewed much more critically I think. And that’s kind of a shame.
Last edited by Dbzfan94 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Jackal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Jackal » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:05 am

Because dub.

Jokes.

I've no interest in watching in cinemas, when it hits on Blu Ray, I'll pick it up then.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:14 am

Having seen it in theatres, and have been since watching the various bootleg cuts on YouTube, this is definitely a movie worth watching in theatres. Even going in spoiled, this movie was a rush

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:39 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Ignoring all the “because dub” comments, I’m not seeing either but for different reasons.

I just have no interest. I spoiled myself purposely when they first dropped and I wasn’t impressed at the least. I tried to care, I really did, but I can’t bring myself to.

For one, they adapted Minus and it’s still as bad as ever. Two, I don’t care about another Goku and Vegeta movie. For all it’s issues; the ToP was a step in the right direction with actually using other characters. But they went right back to the old formula. Also I’m really not on board with rebooting characters from the old movies and making them “canon”. It’s a cheap way of making your movie popular. On the topic of Broly I really don’t like what they did with him. He’s basically full blooded Saiyan Gohan now. For all his faults I really like movie 8 Broly and I was sad to see that he was all but wiped away in favor of this new “he’s a good boy don’t hurt him” version nd when he inevitably joins the cast that puts the final nail in the coffin of anyone else doing anything significant. Also not seeing what the hype about Cheelai is either.

Honestly, I wholeheartedly believe that the large majority of the reason this movie is so popular is because of the animation. It’s really something special going by the trailers so people are more forgiving and are just in awe of the visuals. If DBS Broly looked like BoG or RF, it would be viewed much more critically I think. And that’s kind of a shame.
I was spoiled on a lot of the details and I agree it’s not the most exciting thing they’ve done, but there’s a lot more to enjoy about it than other DB movies. I felt it was a lot more cinematic in scope. The dialogue of the early scenes was really goood and of course the animation itself. Plus the new characters are far more enjoyable than I expected.

Infamous T

Post by Infamous T » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:03 pm

One here. There's plenty of theaters showing it...but all the times are either 930 or 945 at night. Since I work mornings that won't do. I'll just buy the Blu ray 2 or 3 times since that's how many times I was gonna see it.
Last edited by Infamous T on Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:07 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I won't, because I don't currently have a car or a driver's license so I can't get to the theater. And asking one of my parents to take me would just be embarrassing.
How about just taking a Uber bro lol, Unless your like 3hrs away from your nearest theater but even still though, much like anything else in life its only worth what you're willing to give up for it. :wink:
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:58 pm

I find it really weird that this question would get asked about the Broly movie, but not BoG or RoF - two movies that it kicks the living shit out of.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:18 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:I won't, because I don't currently have a car or a driver's license so I can't get to the theater. And asking one of my parents to take me would just be embarrassing.
How about just taking a Uber bro lol, Unless your like 3hrs away from your nearest theater but even still though, much like anything else in life its only worth what you're willing to give up for it. :wink:
I didn't want to because of the cost but I caved in and did just that.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:43 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: For one, they adapted Minus and it’s still as bad as ever.
Tbh while I still think the manga version of Minus is subpar, I really enjoyed its presence here in the movie. When combined with the opening scene of Frieza's rise to power, including Bardocks rebellion against Frieza, and the improved storyboarding/art and animation, I really became a fan of it.
Dbzfan94 wrote: Honestly, I wholeheartedly believe that the large majority of the reason this movie is so popular is because of the animation. It’s really something special going by the trailers so people are more forgiving and are just in awe of the visuals. If DBS Broly looked like BoG or RF, it would be viewed much more critically I think. And that’s kind of a shame.
Of course, how a film looks (especially a film with a lot of action) is a huge factor in how much people like it. For the most part, BoG looked like a video game cut scene and R'F' felt like a slightly higher quality DBS episode. I would give each of them about a 7/10 and I would give Broly a 9.5 out of 10. If either of them looked as good as Broly, I would probably rank them at about a 9/10(BoG), and 8.5/10(R'F').

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:05 am

I regretted watching the movie last December. I was reminded why I told myself I’d never go to an anime movie showing again. Because of the fans. I like watching movies without overreaction and talking every other second. Some reaction is fine like when SSG Vegeta appeared, but it was just so consistent that it was hard to enjoy.

Maybe if I was back in the states, I wouldn’t of minded going off on a couple people. But since I’m in Japan, and in the military, I probably would’ve ended up all over social media for being an agressive, entitled foreigner. Wasn’t worth it.

Definitely just going to buy DVDs from here on out.
How i predict the tournament will end:

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Lionel wrote:I haven't fully watched any of the Dragon Ball movies outside of the Cooler pair and Dead Zone. Chances are I won't be watching this one either. Adding to that point, the subject matter may not be for everyone and I think that I fit that categorical demographic.
You haven't even watched BoG and RoF online? Those two and this one are all of a higher quality than the Super television show. This movie in particular probably had the best fight scenes in the series.
TheOne wrote:I regretted watching the movie last December. I was reminded why I told myself I’d never go to an anime movie showing again. Because of the fans. I like watching movies without overreaction and talking every other second. Some reaction is fine like when SSG Vegeta appeared, but it was just so consistent that it was hard to enjoy.
Maybe if I was back in the states, I wouldn’t of minded going off on a couple people. But since I’m in Japan, and in the military, I probably would’ve ended up all over social media for being an agressive, entitled foreigner. Wasn’t worth it.
Definitely just going to buy DVDs from here on out.
My theater didn't have much reactions, so I wasn't detracted at all, but here is at tip. If the fans are a problem just go at a show time when not much people will be there. If you go to a movie a few weeks after it is out to a really late or really early showing, other people really won't be much of a problem and you could even get an almost empty theater.
Cursed Lemon wrote:I find it really weird that this question would get asked about the Broly movie, but not BoG or RoF - two movies that it kicks the living shit out of.
I'm not understanding you. The better the movie the more relevant this question would be, as if the movie was bad there would be no reason to ask it, but the reason would be that the movie is bad, lmao.
Danfun64 wrote:I'd love to watch it in theaters, but the only way I'll be able to do so is to trojan my way into the theater (Basically get some family friends to take me to see a movie my parents would actually approve of, with one of those family friends knowing that I want to see a different movie... and even that friend won't know which movie. Don't worry, I'll buy a ticket out of my own money).

My parents know nothing about Dragon Ball in general, and I intend to keep things that way.

...and before you ask, I'll be 24 right before Valentine's Day.
You're 24 and your parents have to approve which movies you watch?

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:51 pm

dragon boss z wrote: I'm not understanding you. The better the movie the more relevant this question would be, as if the movie was bad there would be no reason to ask it, but the reason would be that the movie is bad, lmao.
The better the movie is, the increasingly ridiculous and/or petty the reasons are to not see it. Is that what you're trying to unearth?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃