Was Roshi ever pure of heart?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JBoogie

Was Roshi ever pure of heart?

Post by JBoogie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:26 pm

So I’n reading through the (Viz) manga for the very first time. Karin says that he gave Roshi the Kinto’un that he would eventually pass down to Goku. But what would Roshi even do with it? He can’t ride it? Should it be inplied that Roshi was pure-hearted at one point before the series started?
" I know the odds are against me, but if there's a way to win, I'm gonna find it!
-Goku

"A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own."
-Solid Snake

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Was Roshi ever pure of heart?

Post by Ssjcell » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:42 am

JBoogie wrote:So I’n reading through the (Viz) manga for the very first time. Karin says that he gave Roshi the Kinto’un that he would eventually pass down to Goku. But what would Roshi even do with it? He can’t ride it? Should it be inplied that Roshi was pure-hearted at one point before the series started?
That's definitely the implication

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:35 am

When Roshi gives Kintoun to Goku, both he and the turtle were surprised, when he couldn't sit on it. So he is definitely implied to have been worthy of the cloud before.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46 am

If I recall, Turtle even seemed surprised at how perverted the old master was now, seemingly implying that Roshi being a dirty old man was a fairly "recent" change, at least in regards to their long lives. How long was it stated that Turtle had been lost and away from Roshi? I'd imagine it was at some point in that time frame that Roshi became a little more free with his, uh, "interests", and thus lost the purity of heart needed to ride the cloud.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:If I recall, Turtle even seemed surprised at how perverted the old master was now, seemingly implying that Roshi being a dirty old man was a fairly "recent" change, at least in regards to their long lives. How long was it stated that Turtle had been lost and away from Roshi? I'd imagine it was at some point in that time frame that Roshi became a little more free with his, uh, "interests", and thus lost the purity of heart needed to ride the cloud.
Turtle commented that he had been wondering around for a year, but I'm certain that Roshi's lecherous behavior had been going on for a lot longer than that. More than likely, he had just not used Kinto'un in a long time, and instead employed other means of travel (perhaps Baby Gamera) instead in the interim between his last use of it and when he gave it to Goku.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:47 am

This question is an interesting one because of the inclusion of Roshi filler during the Heavenly Training arc (the one where Goku travels back in time to when he and Tsuru Sen'nin were much younger), where I presume he's presented as being just as raunchy as he is when Goku first met him. That of course would contradict the idea that Roshi could ever fly on the Nimbus, unless Roshi cleaned up his act later and thus was able to ride it by the time he climbed Korin's Tower. I'd imagine his regression to old habits would therefore be a result of him retiring from martial arts.
Darkprince410 wrote: Turtle commented that he had been wondering around for a year, but I'm certain that Roshi's lecherous behavior had been going on for a lot longer than that. More than likely, he had just not used Kinto'un in a long time, and instead employed other means of travel (perhaps Baby Gamera) instead in the interim between his last use of it and when he gave it to Goku.
He also of course has various capsule vehicles too, like the boat he used to travel away at the start of Goku and Krillin's training.

Personally, I think Turtle was aware of Roshi's tendencies, but asking a girl to flash her underwear at him whilst having no pants on still came as a total shock.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:57 am

KBABZ wrote:I'd imagine his regression to old habits would therefore be a result of him retiring from martial arts.
I agree.
Straying from the path of a martial artist, which requires focus and discipline and a lot of hard work to then retire and just watch tv and have fun, it makes good sense, that he would lose that discipline and thus the impurities would corrupt his pure heart by DB standards.
I imagine he was browsing on the tv in his boredom and eventually found the morning gymnastics show with scantily clad ladies and that's where it all started going wrong :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 am

dbgtFO wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I'd imagine his regression to old habits would therefore be a result of him retiring from martial arts.
I agree.
Straying from the path of a martial artist, which requires focus and discipline and a lot of hard work to then retire and just watch tv and have fun, it makes good sense, that he would lose that discipline and thus the impurities would corrupt his pure heart by DB standards.
I imagine he was browsing on the tv in his boredom and eventually found the morning gymnastics show with scantily clad ladies and that's where it all started going wrong :lol:
He could also have picked it up from Grandpa Gohan, which is somewhat terrifying to think about.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:26 am

Darkprince410 wrote:Turtle commented that he had been wondering around for a year, but I'm certain that Roshi's lecherous behavior had been going on for a lot longer than that. More than likely, he had just not used Kinto'un in a long time, and instead employed other means of travel (perhaps Baby Gamera) instead in the interim between his last use of it and when he gave it to Goku.
Was it really only a year? Huh, I could have sworn it was a longer time than that for some reason. If it was only a year, then that doesn't work as well as I thought it did.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:Turtle commented that he had been wondering around for a year, but I'm certain that Roshi's lecherous behavior had been going on for a lot longer than that. More than likely, he had just not used Kinto'un in a long time, and instead employed other means of travel (perhaps Baby Gamera) instead in the interim between his last use of it and when he gave it to Goku.
Was it really only a year? Huh, I could have sworn it was a longer time than that for some reason. If it was only a year, then that doesn't work as well as I thought it did.
In both the dub and the ViZ translation of the manga, Turtle says he's been lost for a year before Goku and Bulma find him.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Didn't Krillin first bring perverse magazines in order to bribe Roshi into accepting him as a pupil? What that implies is he had some type of foreknowledge of Roshi's proclivity for licentious paraphernalia. Grandpa Gohan expressed in his interest in the afterlife's female population -- a comment which prompted Yamcha to poke fun at Roshi for the master-student commonality, implying that it may have been passed down. The approximate time period for when Grandpa Gohan and Ox-King joined the Kame school was around Age 680-710, according to Herms' timeline. Interestingly, there's a point in time much earlier that's referenced by the Boken Special Guide, Age 553, as the date when Roshi began to collect magazines of a sultry nature. In other words, he would have only been able to ride the Nimbus for roughly 100 years as his date of ascension up Karin's tower, and subsequent bequeathal of his ridable cloud, was somewhere in the Age 450-453 range.