"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:51 am

Has the movie released yet on U.S?
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Seems UK is getting a different cover art for set 6. A character form we see for a whole 5 seconds.
Kinda of a stupid choice to use base Vegetto as many could confuse this with Z, they should have kept Blue.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
ironfist2020 wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
Indeed, I am Very Excite about Tonight's Episode too, been WAY to long of a wait with 2 weeks of end of the year Marathons we had to wait threw, but Now we are Finally going to get to hear Kale for the 1st time along with her interactions with Caulifla and Cabba! :thumbup:

Really for Fans of DB Super Ladies it has been an Epic last few New Episodes, the Voice Actresses of both Caulifla & Brianne de Chateau/Ribrianne have Blown it out of the Water in Beyond Good World Premieres! :clap:

I am Happy for all the Kale Fans for this week, I include myself in the Kale and Caulifla Fandom, this Ha been a Long time in Coming, Lets Enjoy! :D

Also Indeed Very Much Yes Dragon Ball Gus, We get to Your Girl Caulifla Make SSJ History Now in English Dub Form, Major Congratz! :clap: :thumbup:
your'e a female?
Nope Male, I am Just Very Enthusiastic about Female Characters! :thumbup:
but you like the original human form of ribrianne. i dont think anyone would love the fat lady form. too annoying

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:08 pm

Going to be highly critical of any #artisticlicense for this next episode. I wonder if they're going to continue to avoid establishing Kale as Caulifla's protege.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Simere wrote:Going to be highly critical of any #artisticlicense for this next episode. I wonder if they're going to continue to avoid establishing Kale as Caulifla's protege.
I haven’t been watching lately, but is that what they’ve been doing? Why?

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:26 pm

ironfist2020 wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
ironfist2020 wrote:
your'e a female?
Nope Male, I am Just Very Enthusiastic about Female Characters! :thumbup:
but you like the original human form of ribrianne. i dont think anyone would love the fat lady form. too annoying
While indeed I have the Human form of Brianne as my Avatar, I have more then Express My Unending Love and Admiration around here and other Boards of Brianne's Transformed State of Ribrianne and in fact Ribrianne is the part of Brianne that makes me lover her character even more, Break the Status Quo of Magical Girl Archetypes and that Beauty is not just a one way looking street. :clap:

Indeed the Reason for My Avatar is More Personal for Me, I never explained it, but when I 1st got introduce to the concept of Brianne and Ribrianne, I was 1st introduce to Brianne herself and how dynamic she made her presence in her 1st introduction. I choose THIS Avatar cause it was one of the 1st around of the character and this image of Brianne is a symbol of the Debut of my Now Favorite DB Character and reminds me always of what that Intro and what follows of Brianne and Ribrianne meant to me personally as a fan! :angel:

Their are indeed Fans that are not wild about Ribrianne or Brianne for that matter, so indeed I have meet and yes debate a decent amount of them, but it is to be expect. But their are many others that I have me that do Enjoy both Human Brianne and her Larger transformed state Ribrianne, so While for some they might find them Not Likable, for others they are a character we can't help but enjoy.

It is the uniqueness of Fans and what we desire in seeing in our characters. :angel:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:33 pm

I love that you like her fat form. I'm most definitely not a Tumblrina but I do think we need more positive Fat Characters like Ribrianne.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I love that you like her fat form. I'm most definitely not a Tumblrina but I do think we need more positive Fat Characters like Ribrianne.
I don’t have much of an opinion on the matter, but can Ribrianne really be considered a positive depiction of obese people? Apart from the fact that she’s kind of an egotistical jerk, a running gag is that characters are often repulsed by her appearance.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:45 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I love that you like her fat form. I'm most definitely not a Tumblrina but I do think we need more positive Fat Characters like Ribrianne.
Indeed Thanks Allot and Glad to talk to you Cure Dragon 255! :thumbup:

That is Cool that you not only like Ribrianne but indeed that she gets across to you a positive ideal that characters can be heavyset and be fun, powerful and inspiring to many, with many I have meet like you and others feeling that way. :)

Also, if I am understanding the Tumblrina term right, indeed I never get that idealism from you or many other fans and myself included, that liking Ribrianne or others like her is about a social or political idealism. It is truly just for Love of a Character and Love that a character of such a uniquely look, style and persona that is inspiring and positive to many fans that want to characters like that more often. :angel:
My #1 in DB!

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:57 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
I don’t have much of an opinion on the matter, but can Ribrianne really be considered a positive depiction of obese people? Apart from the fact that she’s kind of an egotistical jerk, a running gag is that characters are often repulsed by her appearance.
Indeed she might at times seem that way, but really it just depends on seeing the Whole~Story and the pieces of that story that where shown to us that we truly can get to the truth about her character. :idea:

It at times might seem like Ribrianne is being about herself, but for others like me that have taken only what we have seen, her tale up to this point tells a story of a lady that greatly cares about her friends like what happen in Episode 102-103 with her Friend Kakunsa or the support she gets from Rozie in episode 111, and more importantly once we get to Episode 117 and espically 118 her story is made even more clear.

She is shown not only to have a good attitude in learning new forms of love and taking them to heart like with Android 18, but allot of the events going on in the ToP where being publicly broadcast to all of Universe 2. Combined that with how she address Universe 2 after she lost and her pleading support to the Universe 2 citizens to support the last 3 fighters that where Not Her, it is in those moments that speaks volumes of Brianne/Ribrianne's character that she is honestly and seemingly a Lady that is about bringing the most cheer and joy by her ideals of love and keeping up the confidence of her universe to not stop in believe in their idealism of love that make them strong and one of the best universes to live in, almost getting themselves pasted for being in the ToP;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqEI_Kb ... 5OP5jIvVEi

It is Fans of hers that see what given to us and only what is given and the persona and characterization of Brianne/Ribrianne as the story goes along it made much more clear and much more inspiring~positive for her characterization once it is all pieced together. :angel:
My #1 in DB!

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:26 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Simere wrote:Going to be highly critical of any #artisticlicense for this next episode. I wonder if they're going to continue to avoid establishing Kale as Caulifla's protege.
I haven’t been watching lately, but is that what they’ve been doing? Why?
There's only been one opportunity they've had to say it so far. Instead of translating imouto-bun as protege when introducing Kale it was "kind of like my sister in arms". Perhaps to establish they're not biological sisters out the gate.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:36 am

WOW......and I thought I Liked the Universe 6 Saiyan Trio Before! :mrgreen:

Honestly I am Really Impressed with Funimations recruiting, These Actors work so well off each others dialogue, I had a blast with their back~n~forths!

Caulifla continues to get better, the Actress Elizabeth Maxwell creates so much sheer and pure enthusiasm with each line, got to Love it!

Kale is just to sweet, honest she had me crying a time or two, they are all hit their marks, I am Very Happy for Major Kale and Caulifla Fans Right Now, Congratz! :thumbup:

Also we had the Debut of Ganos of Universe 4 and still another on the Mark Voice, don't know his name but it fits the character Perfect! Look forward to his back~n~forth with Roshi in the ToP.
Last edited by CJStriker_CBR on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
My #1 in DB!

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:37 am

Daman Mills was fantastic as Frieza in this episode. The voice felt deeper in a way as well as sinister! The only issue I have is Quitela addressing Beerus as Lord Beerus. Idk, it's a small nitpick but I feel like the character of Quitela should simply refer to him as Beerus, not Lord. I don't think Beerus will address him as Lord Quitela in the dub...so to hear the GoD who probably dislikes Beerus the most address him as Lord feels so off...

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:37 am

Daman mills was credited as Frieza this episode

Wonder if him and Ayers will be switching off?

To his credit his frieza has gotten damn good. I could barely tell

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 am

Oh my God did Dawn do an absolutely amazing job in this episode! I mean she knocked it out of the park! She was a perfect casting choice for Kale. I definitely look forward to hearing her in the future episodes.
Caulifla best girl! :)

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:46 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Oh my God did Dawn do an absolutely amazing job in this episode! I mean she knocked it out of the park! She was a perfect casting choice for Kale. I definitely look forward to hearing her in the future episodes.
Indeed 100%, Could Not Agree More :thumbup: , Dawn got the Sweetness of Kale right down on point and her Broly Rage form was just allot of fun! I am with you Dragon Ball Gus, I am Greatly Looking Forward to more episodes with Dawn and Elizabeth as the Actresses, Congrats! :clap:
My #1 in DB!

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:15 am

With all due respect to Yukana, I think Dawn M. Bennett balanced the intensity of both Kale's demureness and savage nature through her vocal performance much better for Episode 93. Her base form especially wasn't nearly as high-pitched to sell it, even compared to Dawn's rough draft for Xenoverse 2. Funny enough, as a self-proclaimed Hulk fan, she claims that Fred Tatasciore was her inspiration for her yells.

I was surprised to see that Damon Mills is still credited for Freeza (Monaka continues to fool us, huh? :lol: ). Presumingly Mills will be covering the next few episodes before we seamlessly get Chris Ayers as Freeza again (hopefully before Frost's first meet).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:54 am

I honestly thought it was Ayres playing Freeza until the credits rolled around, Mills sounded and played the character exactly as Ayres would. I'd still like to have Ayres for the ToP but if worst comes to worst and he can't stick around I'll be happy with Ayres.

Bit disappointed Funimation couldn't get Scott McNeil to play Quitela, but eh, Meli Grant did a serviceable job.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:20 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I honestly thought it was Ayres playing Freeza until the credits rolled around, Mills sounded and played the character exactly as Ayres would. I'd still like to have Ayres for the ToP but if worst comes to worst and he can't stick around I'll be happy with Ayres.

Bit disappointed Funimation couldn't get Scott McNeil to play Quitela, but eh, Meli Grant did a serviceable job.
I mean, it was kind of a stretch that they were gonna get him. This isn't a One Piece movie, after all.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:55 pm

so it wasent ayers? kinda dissapointing even when i just now discovered it. it sure sounded like him. but. ho . whatever.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:37 pm

Wait are we sure this was actually Mills? Maybe the credits accidentally credited Mills? If this is actually Mills then he’s doing a very fantastic job.