"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Game Project Z Action RPG" Announced.

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:04 am

Grimlock wrote:Well, we are getting games with original stuff since 2015, I think this one will be too. After all, we can't go back to that "Raditz to Buu" nonsense anymore.
I wouldn't mind going from Freeza's appearance on Planet Vegeta to Broly to be honest

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:09 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:That still is not a guarantee that the same will apply to this game.
Obviously. And my post wasn't announcing anything for that matter.
mute_proxy wrote:I wouldn't mind going from Freeza's appearance on Planet Vegeta to Broly to be honest
You're nuts. Unless, of course, the game expands the Freeza meeting the Saiyans scene (and other stuff in the past).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:18 am

Whatever this is, it better not be from Dimps. I want them to focus on a XV3 to have some type of closure to the series.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:24 am

I know it's probably not gonna happen, but I would love to have an enhancement to the Xenoverse style with this RPG where you select a race and that choose your origin (pseudo-Dragon Age Origins style)

I'm imagining we'll see the Time Patrol in some form or fashion. Would be cool to work with the Time Breakers too.

Honestly excited to see what direction this game takes :thumbup:

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Welp, according to investor reports, the game is coming in 2020. And according to my boi, its gonna have at least 3 years of dev time
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:12 pm

A Raditz to Boo RPG would be fine with me. I was a huge fan of Legend of the Super Saiyan (SNES), the Super Gokuden series (SNES), and Legendary Super Warriors (GBC) games. I like the idea of a modern DBZ RPG focused on building up characters through training and various battles to prepare for boss battles and exploring the universe.

I can't wait to see what the game looks like.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:39 pm

I just hope we get an actual new character like Shallot as the main character, not a CAC. I'm tired of the voiceless, nodding and purely emoting way your character interacts from Xenoverse.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:59 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Welp, according to investor reports, the game is coming in 2020. And according to my boi, its gonna have at least 3 years of dev time
Is it the year 2020, as in from January to December, or the fiscal year, which goes from April to March?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Hoping for an original story. If there is CAC, hoping for variety.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Draconic wrote:I just hope we get an actual new character like Shallot as the main character, not a CAC. I'm tired of the voiceless, nodding and purely emoting way your character interacts from Xenoverse.
I'd be fine either way as long— if anything, I'd prefer using canon characters so that we can get a proper Legacy of Goku in 3D.
However, this view that CaCs shouldn't be done because they'd be implemented as poorly as they were in Xenoverse is very short-sighted. Hell, remember that dire piece of trash, Ultimate Tenkaichi? Your avatar was fully voice acted there, believe it or not. Xenoverse was pretty much a typical post-PS2 DB game that got extraordinarily popular and for which standards (rightfully) increased. As a result, the developers played around with the design and made questionable choices to save money.

A "proper" character creator would be more like what you see in Saints Row. As Yahtzee Croshaw said: the main character is sculpted by the player but given agency by the game. You're just dressing them up.
Xenoverse was an attempt to create pure roleplaying where the character won't say anything that might offend your headcanon for them. Since we don't yet have neural networks generating speech as you type it in or purely organic plotlines with fully intelligent NPCs, such a thing can only ever come off as lazy and breaking immersion due to a focus on emoting over actually speaking.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:15 pm

I hope it's unlike Xenoverse and FighterZ. I'd like a totally different game in terms of gameplay.

I also hope it's multiplat and not a Switch exclusive.

And I REALLY hope it's not handheld.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:31 pm

The game focuses on Dragon Ball Z, so it’s safe to assume it will be featuring the story from Raditz up to Buu and possibly the ending of the manga too, with Goku leaving with Uub.
I can’t say I’m all too hyped about the game’s story if its yet another by the book retelling of Z. I don’t think what they could possibly do, presentation-wise, to make it feel any different and better than previous games, or the anime itself, and the story of Z is so well-known that only the minority who really know absolutely nothing of DB would be able to fully enjoy it, and as a Dragon Ball game it should aim to please its fans, who are the majority who will be buying the game, and not try to only grab new ones.
Which means that playing it by the book would already strip the game out of one of the main elements to make it good, it would be like releasing a new game with a trailer that spoils the ending: not many people would be interested in it.
In that case, the graphics and the gameplay will be very important for this game to be a good and enjoyable experience.

I would prefer to see a what-if take on the story, as that could really make the story intriguing, and having a good story is part of the experience for an action RPG to be remembered fondly.
It could be done by having a new main character who isn’t Goku. Like Shallot is in Legends. They could have Toriyama design the new character, or give the players the choice to create their own main character.
In this case the problem would be to not make the new character feel out of place and unneeded in the story, and the first step, as suggested above, would be to give the character his own personality like they have done with Shallot.

Or they could make a few what-if scenarios which would drastically change the whole story. This would probably be the most difficult thing for developers to make, but it would add a lot of replay value to the game if they could come up with many different changes that alter the story.

As for the gameplay, I hope that it will have an open world we can seamlessly explore, with various quests, enemies and whatnot like Buu’s Fury had.
I hope the combat will be good, even if it won’t be the game’s main focus, as I wouldn’t want it to be just an RPG because with a decent fighting system they could also add a VS mode. Xenoverse too doesn’t have the deepest fighting system, and is too considered an RPG, so I hope they can come up with good fighting mechanics.

About the graphics, I hope they have understood from FighterZ that fans want anime-like graphics and not plastic-like graphics like in Xenoverse games.
I’m not expecting graphics on the level of FighterZ but I hope they will have some good cel-shaded models.

In short, my purest wish is for this game to a 3D spiritual successor to the Legacy of Goku games, with a fighting system similar to Budokai Tenkaichi 3, anime-like graphics and a seamless open world.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:47 pm

I know the game is currently listed as 'Project Z', but I don't know if we should take that as 100% proof that it's only going to be handling Z material. For one thing, that's pretty much just a code name most likely, the actual game title will likely either be just 'Dragon Ball' something-or-other to represent the franchise as a whole (like with Xenoverse, FighterZ, Fusions, and most of the other recent-ish games). And for another, with Super doing as well as it has money wise, I can't imagine them not including material from it as well. Only time will tell of course, but I'd be very surprised if the game turned out to be a basic 'Raditz to Boo' situation again.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:54 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:A Raditz to Boo RPG would be fine with me. I was a huge fan of Legend of the Super Saiyan (SNES), the Super Gokuden series (SNES), and Legendary Super Warriors (GBC) games. I like the idea of a modern DBZ RPG focused on building up characters through training and various battles to prepare for boss battles and exploring the universe.

I can't wait to see what the game looks like.

As unlikely as it is , I'm hoping for legacy of Goku with Pokémon let's go graphics at some point lol I know this won't be it

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:38 pm

emperior wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Welp, according to investor reports, the game is coming in 2020. And according to my boi, its gonna have at least 3 years of dev time
Is it the year 2020, as in from January to December, or the fiscal year, which goes from April to March?
Thats my question too. I’m assuming is coming out late fiscal 2020 or early fiscal 2021. But either way, its gonna come out in the earlier part of actual 2020.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:46 pm

My biggest hope for the game is that we can use people other than Goku in the game.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Only time will tell of course, but I'd be very surprised if the game turned out to be a basic 'Raditz to Boo' situation again.
Ha, imagine if it's even worse than that and we only get Raditz to Cell again.

I don't expect this because it's not 2011 and Namco Bandai aren't cutting corners anymore, but in the modern gaming industry (especially after Konami made save slots into DLC), I wouldn't at all be surprised if they only did Raditz to Cell and then released "new chapters" from Boo up to the Tournament of Power as DLC for the low, easy price of $19.99 per arc.

This is all assuming it's a console game and not a handheld. If it's a handheld title, then it makes a little bit more sense. Only a little. It's always possible that this might actually be Legacy of Goku 4 since it's well-known Webfoot was indeed looking to make such a game.
AnimeNation101 wrote:My biggest hope for the game is that we can use people other than Goku in the game.
What game since the first (i.e. shittiest) Legacy of Goku had solo Son Goku?
The Yabanverse

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Only time will tell of course, but I'd be very surprised if the game turned out to be a basic 'Raditz to Boo' situation again.
Ha, imagine if it's even worse than that and we only get Raditz to Cell again.

I don't expect this because it's not 2011 and Namco Bandai aren't cutting corners anymore, but in the modern gaming industry (especially after Konami made save slots into DLC), I wouldn't at all be surprised if they only did Raditz to Cell and then released "new chapters" from Boo up to the Tournament of Power as DLC for the low, easy price of $19.99 per arc.

This is all assuming it's a console game and not a handheld. If it's a handheld title, then it makes a little bit more sense. Only a little. It's always possible that this might actually be Legacy of Goku 4 since it's well-known Webfoot was indeed looking to make such a game.
AnimeNation101 wrote:My biggest hope for the game is that we can use people other than Goku in the game.
What game since the first (i.e. shittiest) Legacy of Goku had solo Son Goku?
Its just that RPG games tend to only follow one character. But then again, if this follows the OG db story, it CAN’T just follow Goku as he doesn’t fight all the fights. I’d like a party system.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:23 pm

LightBing wrote:This is something to be hyped about but... I see a Z so it's not based on early Dragon Ball I guess...

Maybe so but I'm sure that Early DB content will be present.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:38 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Its just that RPG games tend to only follow one character. But then again, if this follows the OG db story, it CAN’T just follow Goku as he doesn’t fight all the fights. I’d like a party system.
From my experience, RPGs tend to follow parties of characters, more akin to having Son Goku alongside Krillin and Piccolo. Then again, I'm thinking of older RPGs.
The Yabanverse