[Spoilers] Your thoughts on Beriblu?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

[Spoilers] Your thoughts on Beriblu?

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Along with Kikono, we are introduced to two new loyal henchmen for Frieza. Both non-combatants, both *appearing* to be comic relief.

But is this really the case with Beriblu? Is she a gag character, someone to make us giggle or cringe, depending on the humor?

To me, she has the potential to be an amazing character. Introduced to us as Frieza's attendant, she may have been his nanny in his early years since she's shown with him and Cold during his younger years. This would explain the lenience she gets from Frieza for speaking her mind … or is it something more?

This is a woman who (if indeed his nanny/housesitter/handmaiden) quite possibly have helped shape the personality of one of the most dangerous creatures in Universe 7. You can see that the director and the animators have put care in her shots to appear civilized and collected, but there is cruelty in her eyes, a sense of pride whenever she sees Frieza scheming, ordering or planning his next moves. Particular shots that are chilling imo, is her face when she asks Paragus to come alone to Frieza's chambers, or when Frieza tells Beriblu to let the Saiyans have a bath and acquire new clothes. Is this the face of a loyal lackey, or a mother beaming with pride at her 'son' living the part she envisioned him to have?

Now granted, Cold is the father and definitely played his fair share and then some in Frieza's upbringing, but the part where Cold says that Frieza is much more cruel than he is made me think. Is that because of Cold's parenting, or Beriblu's corruption?

Thoughts?

emperior
I Live Here

Re: [Spoilers] Your thoughts on Beriblu?

Post by emperior » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:44 pm

Your idea of Beriblu having raised Freeza up is definitely interesting.
I personally only saw her as a loyal, and of course very evil, subordinate who has no problems telling Freeza what she thinks.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: [Spoilers] Your thoughts on Beriblu?

Post by BWri » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Along with Kikono, we are introduced to two new loyal henchmen for Frieza. Both non-combatants, both *appearing* to be comic relief.

But is this really the case with Beriblu? Is she a gag character, someone to make us giggle or cringe, depending on the humor?

To me, she has the potential to be an amazing character. Introduced to us as Frieza's attendant, she may have been his nanny in his early years since she's shown with him and Cold during his younger years. This would explain the lenience she gets from Frieza for speaking her mind … or is it something more?

This is a woman who (if indeed his nanny/housesitter/handmaiden) quite possibly have helped shape the personality of one of the most dangerous creatures in Universe 7. You can see that the director and the animators have put care in her shots to appear civilized and collected, but there is cruelty in her eyes, a sense of pride whenever she sees Frieza scheming, ordering or planning his next moves. Particular shots that are chilling imo, is her face when she asks Paragus to come alone to Frieza's chambers, or when Frieza tells Beriblu to let the Saiyans have a bath and acquire new clothes. Is this the face of a loyal lackey, or a mother beaming with pride at her 'son' living the part she envisioned him to have?

Now granted, Cold is the father and definitely played his fair share and then some in Frieza's upbringing, but the part where Cold says that Frieza is much more cruel than he is made me think. Is that because of Cold's parenting, or Beriblu's corruption?

Thoughts?
Having just seen the movie yesterday night and loving the interaction between the Frieza and Beriblu, I am very much hoping that your theory has some weight. Frieza did always seem effeminate to me with his mannerisms and aesthetic. I think having him raised by a cruel woman makes a lot of sense for pretty much the reasons you listed. The idea has a lot of potential too if they keep Frieza around in this troublemaker role. Frieza will need some support characters to play off of and who better than someone who's known him since he was a youngling and can get away with calling him on his BS.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-