Anime adaptation of the Broly movie: is it necessary?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Anime adaptation of the Broly movie: is it necessary?

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:51 am

If it's done in the same manner as the previous adaptations, exploring and expanding upon nothing, then no. An extended version of the movie sounds good enough

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:27 am

Here's what I think: when Super started, it was immediately after the end of Dragon Ball Kai. The very next day, if I recall correctly. It makes sense that when that's the timeframe for a followup to the show, where it's intended for the viewers to see it as a direct follow-up to what they just watched, skipping past major events and introductions of important recurring characters would be a big mistake. It would lead plenty of people, especially kids, to go "what's going on? who are these people?", and redirecting people to watch two movies before the new part of the story starts isn't really a great marketing strategy. With that in mind, I totally understand the decision to recap the films. Of course, reanimating their events, extending them into full series arcs and making them worse wasn't really the direction they needed to take there, they really just should have showed the films back-to-back on TV before the show started at the U6 arc, but whatever.

In this case however, it seems that very little changes about the nature of Goku and co.'s situation during the course of the film. Sure, we have Broly, Cheelai and Lemo as potential allies, but no events as major as the advent of God, Blue, Beerus, Golden Frieza etc. really occur to the main cast in this film. You got Gogeta I guess, but it's not like Goku and Vegeta fusing has all the spectacle it really used to. Heck, Broly's strongest form is one we've seen in his U6 equivalent just a few (vague amount of time)s earlier.

People who go from episode 131 of Super 1.0 to episode 1 of Super 2.0 aren't going to be missing much plot-wise, even if Broly reappears. They could get away with a flashback for the most part, so long as you get the details that he's basically an even-more-intense Kale, he likes his friends, and his dad is dead. More importantly, this film serves to close the gap between the end of Super 1.0 and the (likely) start of 2.0. When the show comes back it'll have been long enough since the first part ended that anyone who cares about getting caught up wouldn't be left behind the way they potentially could have been if they were just following along on TV, especially with how much less they're missing story-wise.

So no, I don't think it's all that necessary, even if it'd most likely be way better an arc than BoG and RoF turned out by the sheer production competence and efficiency standard that the film seems to be setting. And no, I don't think I care all that much about what was cut. Unless it somehow makes Minus not suck, I can't imagine it's that revolutionary, otherwise I don't think it would have been removed in the first place. People think that because there's a lot of it (relative to the storyboard, not the script, I may remind you) that it's potentially more likely to have fleshed things out better...maybe, but unless the things it chose were Bardock and Gine's personalities (unlikely, given the dedication it seems to show for adapting Minus accurately), I don't think we're missing much.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:00 am

From what I've heard, a retelling could help make the minus portion of the movie more coherent with the rest of the story instead of something just kind off tossed on.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:17 am

I mean, in theory Resurrection F could have benefited from an extended adaptation as well, but we all saw what happened there. No, I think it would be much better if we let the movie stand on it's own. When Super comes back, just go straight to the goat, he looks interesting.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 am

Kataphrut wrote:I mean, in theory Resurrection F could have benefited from an extended adaptation as well, but we all saw what happened there. No, I think it would be much better if we let the movie stand on it's own. When Super comes back, just go straight to the goat, he looks interesting.
It's possible to improve up the movies. Just because Dragon Ball Super was royally screwed it doesn't mean the following series won't be able to do better, especially with the much better production schedule it will likely have.

Nakamura Ryouta (series director of Episodes #77-131, storyboard and episode director of #130) has not appeared in any credits since August. If he's the series director of a new series starting in April he will have had plenty of time to create a strong new series on every front.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:55 pm

No, its not necessary and I hope it doesn't happen as I don't trust TOEI to expand on anything in the movie. A brief recap of the major events in this movie followed by an adaptation of the upcoming Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc would suffice.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

GokuDragonBall

Post by GokuDragonBall » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:14 pm

I remember being excited about Super and even after knowing it would start with movie retellings, I kept an open mind but after 20-30 episodes, I started loosing interest until the announcement of the future Trunks arc (I have to say the animation didn't help much to keep me invested). I don't think adaptions are unnecessary because they could do interesting things (like showing more of the 3 hour script that they had to cut for the movie). At the end of the day, I think they will definitively adapt the Broly movie, I will judge the execution when I see it but hopefully they learned their lesson this time.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:47 pm

If they could reuse the movie animation while adding everything that it was left out, it would be great.
Despite the animation/art problems, both BOG and ROF arcs were better written their movies counterparts.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:57 pm

removing the animation ... fnf arc can correct the mistakes of the movie like "the laser", piccolo vs shisame or jako and roshi
but in itself it is not so necessary in this case

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:39 pm

Only if they want to give Toyotaro time to finish a manga if they want to return to the manga first anime later format. But other than that it is not mandatory and maybe have Broly appear only in Dragon ball Super movies or something like that. I don't really mind either option.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:46 pm

If they do a retelling, I'd like REALLY like them to do a retelling:

-They should add the other entire half of Toriyama's script, given they cut out half of it for the movie to fit it in.
-Have more consistent pacing. The movie's pacing is kind of all over the place.
-Fix Freeza's bullshit wish.
-For continuity purposes, have Vegeta go SSBE and Goku go SSBKK so we aren't left being confused as to why they never used their best forms against Broly.
-Prolong the Gogeta vs Broly fight, and give more time to Broly's "Legendary" transformation, it was given almost no attention in the movie.
-Show the other characters in the arc, and show why the hell Gohan and others don't even consider showing up to the battefield.
-Give Freeza a more legitimate exit. He left like he was fucking Team Rocket in the movie, and we are left wondering why the hell Gogeta didn't blast his head off. Keeping Freeza alive is fine, but make him escape in a more believable way.
-Make Minus less shit, and give Bardock more of a real rebellion than just struggling against the Death Ball and dying. His suspicion of Freeza doesn't seem to actually amount to anything. They don't do anything with the concept.
-Maybe nerf Gogeta so his Base isn't stronger than SSB Goku and Vegeta individually? That creates a TON of inflation, though I don't have a big issue with it. I wouldn't mind if they had Gogeta go SSJ immediately and fight evenly with SSJ Broly instead of Base Gogeta easily dodging Broly just to go SSJ and not start completely dominating him. It keeps the scaling more cohesive this way, to me.
-Give Paragus more of a character arc, make him dwell on things and then want revenge, being more caring for his son rather than IMMEDIATELY using his kid as a tool for destruction and revenge.
-Make Broly's fight with Goku/Vegeta more sympathetic, because we are supposed to believe that Broly is a good guy, and so we it should be presented in such a way that we are kind of torn on it.
-remove the scene where Whis fights Broly. That's fucking stupid.
-Give more of a feeling of tension. Make our characters struggle. In the movie, almost immediately after they start losing to SSJ Broly, they leave and go find Piccolo. Have SSJ Broly beating the shit out of them for awhile, and give the feeling that they don't have hope. (without considering that we already know the plot. Looking at it in a vacuum is how it should be judged.)

This story is good in the movie, but making it into a retelling could yield a far better story.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:19 pm

Yes it is.

The movie has a lot of errors that need fixing.

Also some plot can't work with the anime.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:24 pm

I wouldn't want it considering what we little we got in the previous retellings. I would have actually preferred the previous retellings if they actually expanded them in a meaningful way, like giving us a proper explanation and look into Frieza's training in the RoF arc. They could've easily had Champa meet and train Frieza as a way to distract Beerus while he was gathering the Super Dragon Ball's from U7, setting up the U6 arc well in advance and giving us a better explanation for Frieza's power.

I still feel that way here. If Toriyama worked close with Toei to expand the both segments of the movie, past and present, giving us vital details and building the characters of Bardock, King Vegeta, and Paragus before getting to the next generation of Goku, Vegeta, and Broly and establishing more of a connection with those three, I'd be all for it. I just don't have faith that Toei could pull something like that off and I don't think Toriyama would want to since he already worked on this story.

With proper storytelling, the Planet Vegeta stuff could be an arc all its own or even a series. That's how good that stuff is and this is coming from someone who isn't the biggest fan of Saiyans in general, but I find their past to be interesting.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:27 pm

Although the Super retellings were incredibly messy, I do think they were a net positive since they allow the anime to stand on its own. You can watch Super and get the whole story save for some strangely omitted blind spots. Plus, Broly could use some fleshing out as a film. It goes by a bit too fast for my liking.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:44 pm

No...Now a lot of people know the series Super it would make no sense to do a anime adaptation of it they only introduced BOG and ROF in the anime

mostly because of Whis and Beerus and Broly is already popular so there is no need to do a anime adaptation and spend money better spend money for a new

arc

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:Although the Super retellings were incredibly messy, I do think they were a net positive since they allow the anime to stand on its own. You can watch Super and get the whole story save for some strangely omitted blind spots. Plus, Broly could use some fleshing out as a film. It goes by a bit too fast for my liking.
Wait what strangely omitted blind spots?

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:11 pm

PFM18 wrote:
OhHiRenan wrote:Although the Super retellings were incredibly messy, I do think they were a net positive since they allow the anime to stand on its own. You can watch Super and get the whole story save for some strangely omitted blind spots. Plus, Broly could use some fleshing out as a film. It goes by a bit too fast for my liking.
Wait what strangely omitted blind spots?
The anime doesn't explain how or why Pilaf and co. are suddenly children if I remember right. And there's the distinct lack of development between the younger Trunks and Mai which admittedly takes a bit of weight away from Future Trunks and Future Mai being an item in the Goku Black arc.

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:58 pm

toryama has a 3 hour script so i would say yes

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:41 pm

No, it isn't necessary, but hopefully their is a director's cut that has a few extra scenes in it. I feel like a short scene of Bardock rebelling right before the final blast he did, and an extended Frieza vs Broly fight would be nice additions.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:32 pm

No, but considering all the extra time these people need to work on the series, I could see them cutting the movie up for some extra lead time.