Seeing the success of dbs broly i wonder if...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

Seeing the success of dbs broly i wonder if...

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:27 am

Fox/Disney/Toei will plan a dragonball live action movie soon :think: i mean seeing the success of the movie with less screenigs and a little bit of adversing
that's impressive...

in my opinion it's time to make a good dragonball live action movie it has potential to break some records worldwide at the boxoffice in a era of
superhero movies

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Seeing the success of dbs broly i wonder if...

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:39 am

Lujin_16 wrote:Fox/Disney/Toei will plan a dragonball live action movie soon :think: i mean seeing the success of the movie with less screenigs and a little bit of adversing
that's impressive...

in my opinion it's time to make a good dragonball live action movie it has potential to break some records worldwide at the boxoffice in a era of
superhero movies
I mean it would be cool to see a Dragon Ball live action film made with people who actually have proper knowledge of the series being adapted, as we all know that Evolution was a half baked quasi superhero action movie with some cheap fan service nods here and there. The finished product only bore a small resemblance to the Dragon Ball we all know and love as it was clearly produced by people who knew next to nothing about the series, be it either the original manga or the anime. Overall, it felt more like a feeble interpretation that a proper dedicated Dragon Ball film.

I think it could technically be done, so long as you get knowledgeable people on the crew who have done their research and know the story well.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:49 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Lujin_16 wrote:Fox/Disney/Toei will plan a dragonball live action movie soon :think: i mean seeing the success of the movie with less screenigs and a little bit of adversing
that's impressive...

superhero movies
I mean it would be cool to see a Dragon Ball live action film made with people who actually have proper knowledge of the series being adapted, as we all know that Evolution was a half baked quasi superhero action movie with some cheap fan service nods here and there. The finished product only bore a small resemblance to the Dragon Ball we all know and love as it was clearly produced by people who knew next to nothing about the series, be it either the original manga or the anime. Overall, it felt more like a feeble interpretation that a proper dedicated Dragon Ball film.

I think it could technically be done, so long as you get knowledgeable people on the crew who have done their research and know the story well.
To be fair, t was Fox who wanted such drastic changes. The director originally planned for something more in line with the anime/manga at first before they canned it for whateve reason.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:57 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
that's impressive...

superhero movies

To be fair, t was Fox who wanted such drastic changes. The director originally planned for something more in line with the anime/manga at first before they canned it for whateve reason.
Wow really??? Then if that's the case Fox really messed it up with that decision because the finished product was a hot mess that only sort of felt like Dragon Ball in execution.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:12 pm

it does not have to be exactly like the anime because the anime is not perfect so i'm not against changes that are good or even better

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:43 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:To be fair, t was Fox who wanted such drastic changes. The director originally planned for something more in line with the anime/manga at first before they canned it for whateve reason.
There's also the fact that the writer wrote the script purely for the paycheck, something he admitted to and apologized for a few years back.

Honestly I think DBS Broly should show that Dragon Ball works best as an animated work. In live-action, like almost all anime-to-live-action adaptations, it looks weird and often the effects are either so cheap or hollywood-ized (like wispy Ki attacks) that it just doesn't work. The best approach for a film series, at least in my opinion, would be to "Path to Power/Evolution" it by making each arc its own animated film.

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:48 pm

I think the reverse. The success of this movie should indicate that people like Dragon Ball as an animated property first and foremost considering how much higher the box office returns have been with the recent movies compared to Evolution.

Really, I don't see any kind of benefit to having it in live action anyway

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:11 pm

garfield15 wrote:I think the reverse. The success of this movie should indicate that people like Dragon Ball as an animated property first and foremost considering how much higher the box office returns have been with the recent movies compared to Evolution.

That has more to do with Dragon Ball Evolution clearly being a hackjob that bore no resemblance to Dragon Ball than it simply being a live action. I'd wager 90% of Dragon Ball fans wrote the movie off as soon as that original plot summary leaked back in 2007.

I don't get why so many Dragon Ball fans are so insistent that a live action DB fundamentally can't work. DB's own inspiration are live action kung-fu movies. CG has been able to replicate the wackier elements of DB for 20 years. Marvel has movies with talking racoons and sentient trees.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:37 pm

If all these comic book characters can have faithful and successful live action films, so can Dragon Ball

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:17 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:I think the reverse. The success of this movie should indicate that people like Dragon Ball as an animated property first and foremost considering how much higher the box office returns have been with the recent movies compared to Evolution.

That has more to do with Dragon Ball Evolution clearly being a hackjob that bore no resemblance to Dragon Ball than it simply being a live action. I'd wager 90% of Dragon Ball fans wrote the movie off as soon as that original plot summary leaked back in 2007.

I don't get why so many Dragon Ball fans are so insistent that a live action DB fundamentally can't work. DB's own inspiration are live action kung-fu movies. CG has been able to replicate the wackier elements of DB for 20 years. Marvel has movies with talking racoons and sentient trees.
Even though DB Evolution was a hack and slash fan service-ey mess doesn't necessarily mean that a proper Dragon Ball live action movie is impossible to actually make a reality, you just have to have the right kind of people who have sufficient knowledge of the story and who the characters are.

In fact, i would say that if Evolution didn't have the name Dragon Ball or names of the characters or cheap fan service it would be just another generic mid 2000's action movie.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:25 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Yeah, even though DB Evolution was a hack and slash fan service-ey mess doesn't necessarily mean that a proper Dragon Ball live action movie is impossible to make happen. You just have to have the right kind of people who have sufficient knowledge of the story and who the characters are.
I personally find that incredibly unlikely. Given the state of live-action anime films coming out of Japan, I don't really trust Japan to nail the execution. By the same virtue, most American filmmakers will probably have a very "Rock the Dragon" idea of what Dragon Ball is and totally miss the spirit of it, unless VegettoEX is on the creative team or something. I mean, the Alita movie is called Alita, not GUNM or Gally!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:25 pm

Why do you want to see a live action movie?
I mean, the Alita movie is called Alita, not GUNM or Gally!
Not sure what you're getting at with this point.

I trust that American filmmakers can make movies based on American superhero properties that have some level of grounding to them. DB is so over the top in almost every way.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:37 pm

A live-action Dragon Ball movie will bomb horribly. Just stick with the animation; if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:39 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Yeah, even though DB Evolution was a hack and slash fan service-ey mess doesn't necessarily mean that a proper Dragon Ball live action movie is impossible to make happen. You just have to have the right kind of people who have sufficient knowledge of the story and who the characters are.
I personally find that incredibly unlikely. Given the state of live-action anime films coming out of Japan, I don't really trust Japan to nail the execution. By the same virtue, most American filmmakers will probably have a very "Rock the Dragon" idea of what Dragon Ball is and totally miss the spirit of it, unless VegettoEX is on the creative team or something. I mean, the Alita movie is called Alita, not GUNM or Gally!
Hmm i didn't think of that, i would bet even if Toei themselves were behind a hypothetical live action movie and Toriyama were involved that it wouldn't be done very well either. Maybe somewhat better than Evolution was, but likely somewhere along the lines of those loose inspiration movies that came out in the early '90s in Hong Kong and China though those were more based on Journey to the West and not so much Dragon Ball proper.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:41 pm

superfan2024 wrote:A live-action Dragon Ball movie will bomb horribly. Just stick with the animation; if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
They already tried that in 2009, and it was called Dragonball Evolution. Of course it flopped hard and became a critically thrashed joke to the larger Dragon Ball fandom.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:47 pm

I still doubt people will want to try another DB live action movie again since DBE is still fresh in people's minds. Maybe another 5-10 years from now, but I doubt the success of Broly will kick off anything. The movie is a limited release, so the movie did fine for what it was. If the movie had a bigger release, I'm not sure if it can hold up against Glass or not because people have been waiting nearly 20 years for that movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:00 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I still doubt people will want to try another DB live action movie again since DBE is still fresh in people's minds. Maybe another 5-10 years from now, but I doubt the success of Broly will kick off anything. The movie is a limited release, so the movie did fine for what it was. If the movie had a bigger release, I'm not sure if it can hold up against Glass or not because people have been waiting nearly 20 years for that movie.
Yeah, these last few movies (Battle of Gods, Revival/Resurrection of F, DBS: Broly) have been fine as is and i really don't think any benefit would come from wasting resources on another gamble of a whack at making another live action entry. Especially seeing as the last time it was tried with Evolution epically bombed and has become little more than an obscure oddity joked about by fans, and i see the immediate future of Dragon Ball in theaters remaining exclusively animated at this point.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:27 pm

ABED wrote:Why do you want to see a live action movie?
I mean, the Alita movie is called Alita, not GUNM or Gally!
Not sure what you're getting at with this point.

I trust that American filmmakers can make movies based on American superhero properties that have some level of grounding to them. DB is so over the top in almost every way.
Guardians of the Galaxy and Aquaman are extremely over the top, yet they’ve proven to be immensely successful.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:38 pm

I don't want a live action Dragon Ball because the unique character designs and art styles are a part of the appeal of the franchise for me.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:00 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I don't want a live action Dragon Ball because the unique character designs and art styles are a part of the appeal of the franchise for me.
Yeah, if the crappy ill fated last attempt at one was any indication i believe that the story works best when told in manga and animated form. There is a whimsical and one of a kind nature to Toriyama's artistic style that you just can't capture in live action.