"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Game Project Z Action RPG" Announced.

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:38 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Assuming the base game is purely Z, I’d imagine the roster is this:

Goku (base,kaioken,ssj,ssj2,ssj3)
Piccolo
Krillin
Gohan (Kid)
Gohan (Teen) (base,ssj,ssj2)
Gohan (Adult) (base,ssj,ssj2) / Ultimate Gohan
Tien
Chioatzu
Yamcha
Raditz
Saibaman
Nappa
Vegeta (base,ssj,super,ssj2) / Majin Vegeta
Bardock (base, maybe ssj)
Freeza (base,2nd,3rd,final,100%) / Mecha Freeza
Zarbon (base,monster)
Dodoria
Freeza Soldiers
Ginyu
Jeice
Burter
Guldo
Recoome
King Cold
Future Trunks (base,ssj,super)
Dr. Gero
Android 19
Android 18
Android 17
Android 16
Cell (base,2nd,perfect,super perfect)
Cell Jr
Kid Trunks (base,ssj)
Goten (base,ssj)
Gotenks (base,ssj,ssj3)
Vegito (base,ssj)
Videl
Hercule (Mr. Satan)
Dabura
Majin Buu / Evil Buu
Super Buu (base,gotenks absorbed,Gohan absorbed)
Kid Buu
Broly (base,ssj,lssj)
Slug
Turles
Bojack (base,super)
Super Janemba
Tapion
Super Gogeta
Pikkon

That nicely covers all of Z with movie characters for side missions.

I stopped at 50 characters since i dont really know how many characters a db arpg game would have. Plus, this game, if made by CC2, probably would have had 3 to 4 years of dev time by its release.
The word 'roster' is kinda misleading, doncha think? :D Unless you're thinking of some vs mode, like in that DB RPG for the Wii (Demon King's Revenge) where you could vs as anyone of the characters.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:56 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Assuming the base game is purely Z, I’d imagine the roster is this:

Piccolo
Krillin
Gohan (Kid)
Tien
Chioatzu
Yamcha
Raditz
Saibaman
Nappa
Zarbon (base,monster)
Dodoria
Freeza Soldiers
Ginyu
Jeice
Burter
Guldo
Recoome
King Cold
Dr. Gero
Android 19
Android 18
Android 17
Android 16
Cell Jr
Kid Trunks (base,ssj)
Goten (base,ssj)
Gotenks (base,ssj,ssj3)
Vegito (base,ssj)
Videl
Hercule (Mr. Satan)
Dabura
Majin Buu / Evil Buu
Kid Buu
Broly (base,ssj,lssj)
Slug
Turles
Bojack (base,super)
Super Janemba
Tapion
Super Gogeta
Pikkon

I stopped at 50 characters since i dont really know how many characters a db arpg game would have. Plus, this game, if made by CC2, probably would have had 3 to 4 years of dev time by its release.
The word 'roster' is kinda misleading, doncha think? :D Unless you're thinking of some vs mode, like in that DB RPG for the Wii (Demon King's Revenge) where you could vs as anyone of the characters.
No, i mean roster as in playable characters/characters you can fight in this game and later unlock to use on missions or to explore. I dont think this game will only allow you to use Goku or something.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:47 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:

Piccolo
Krillin
Gohan (Kid)
Tien
Chioatzu
Yamcha
Raditz
Saibaman
Nappa
Zarbon (base,monster)
Dodoria
Freeza Soldiers
Ginyu
Jeice
Burter
Guldo
Recoome
King Cold
Dr. Gero
Android 19
Android 18
Android 17
Android 16
Cell Jr
Kid Trunks (base,ssj)
Goten (base,ssj)
Gotenks (base,ssj,ssj3)
Vegito (base,ssj)
Videl
Hercule (Mr. Satan)
Dabura
Majin Buu / Evil Buu
Kid Buu
Broly (base,ssj,lssj)
Slug
Turles
Bojack (base,super)
Super Janemba
Tapion
Super Gogeta
Pikkon

No, i mean roster as in playable characters/characters you can fight in this game and later unlock to use on missions or to explore. I dont think this game will only allow you to use Goku or something.
Then we're talking strictly about the Z Team.

Goku
Gohan
Piccolo
Krillin
Tien
Yamcha
Chiaotzu

then
Vegeta
Trunks

and then
Goten
Trunks
Gotenks
Vegetto
Hercule
Videl

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:13 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:

Goku
Gohan
Piccolo
Krillin
Tien
Yamcha
Chiaotzu

then
Vegeta
Trunks

and then
Goten
Trunks
Gotenks
Vegetto
Hercule
Videl
Thats worst case scenario. I’d like to think we would be able to use even the villains we fight. Or else the roster would get boring pretty fast.

Like, when you defeat a villain, you unlock them and can go back and use them in any story mission you’ve already completeled or use them in side quests or just to grind and explore. Also, ur missing Bardock. I’m sure we’re gonna have Bardock’s rebellion as a mission.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:33 pm

And speaking of Bardock's rebellion, I do hope from this game forward, the games start to mix both the TV Special version and Dragon Ball Super: Broly.

I would like Bardock with his headband in outer space (wearing either the old or new armor) using the technique he used in the movie. We'd have the perfect rebellion scene.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:53 am

Grimlock wrote:And speaking of Bardock's rebellion, I do hope from this game forward, the games start to mix both the TV Special version and Dragon Ball Super: Broly.

I would like Bardock with his headband in outer space (wearing either the old or new armor) using the technique he used in the movie. We'd have the perfect rebellion scene.
The game may not even show Bardock at all. But I wouldn’t mind if future games mix the rebellion scene of the special with the Bardock scenes seen in the movie.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:45 am

I would say it is a major mistake not having Bardock in its roster. Also, he has been featured in all games ever since his "better-late-than-never" debut in 2004. If this game is gonna cover just Dragon Ball Z, it should start with him.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:05 am

I'd find it odd if the game covers solely Z. Considering the push to rebrand everything to "Super", and we have yet to have a true "Dragon Ball: Super" game. Anything is possible, thoguh

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:23 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:I'd find it odd if the game covers solely Z. Considering the push to rebrand everything to "Super", and we have yet to have a true "Dragon Ball: Super" game. Anything is possible, thoguh
Well if rumors are true developing began before super?

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:25 am

sangofe wrote:
MKCSTEALTH wrote:I'd find it odd if the game covers solely Z. Considering the push to rebrand everything to "Super", and we have yet to have a true "Dragon Ball: Super" game. Anything is possible, thoguh

And there's been a lot added to the series since. I'd find it scummy if they do even just to Resurrection F and keep Super content behind a paywall/DLC.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:53 pm

Piccolo
Krillin
Gohan (Kid)
Tien
Chioatzu
Yamcha
Raditz
Saibaman
Nappa
Zarbon (base,monster)
Dodoria
Freeza Soldiers
Ginyu
Jeice
Burter
Guldo
Recoome
King Cold
Dr. Gero
Android 19
Android 18
Android 17
Android 16
Cell Jr
Kid Trunks (base,ssj)
Goten (base,ssj)
Gotenks (base,ssj,ssj3)
Vegito (base,ssj)
Videl
Hercule (Mr. Satan)
Dabura
Majin Buu / Evil Buu
Kid Buu
Broly (base,ssj,lssj)
Slug
Turles
Bojack (base,super)
Super Janemba
Tapion
Super Gogeta
Pikkon

This isn't a fighting game, it's an action RPG, you'll be lucky to get more than 5 playable characters, if that.
MKCSTEALTH wrote:
sangofe wrote:

And there's been a lot added to the series since. I'd find it scummy if they do even just to Resurrection F and keep Super content behind a paywall/DLC.
Adding a bunch of stuff after they had their project plan in place would mean going over budget and delaying the game.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:33 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:

Piccolo
Krillin
Gohan (Kid)
Tien
Chioatzu
Yamcha
Raditz
Saibaman
Nappa
Zarbon (base,monster)
Dodoria
Freeza Soldiers
Ginyu
Jeice
Burter
Guldo
Recoome
King Cold
Dr. Gero
Android 19
Android 18
Android 17
Android 16
Cell Jr
Kid Trunks (base,ssj)
Goten (base,ssj)
Gotenks (base,ssj,ssj3)
Vegito (base,ssj)
Videl
Hercule (Mr. Satan)
Dabura
Majin Buu / Evil Buu
Kid Buu
Broly (base,ssj,lssj)
Slug
Turles
Bojack (base,super)
Super Janemba
Tapion
Super Gogeta
Pikkon

This isn't a fighting game, it's an action RPG, you'll be lucky to get more than 5 playable characters, if that.
I didn’t say playable. I just said roster. And the thing is, if they want to accurately cover DBZ, these characters would have to be in the game. You could make some cuts but it would still be most of these characters. Doing an original story would have been easier. Also, they could just go up to the Cell Saga and stop there. We dont really know everything yet. But if CC2 IS the dev, the game may very well end up being in development for 3 to 4 years by its release. But again, we don’t really know how the time was spent. Hopefully the follow up info from the finals sheds more light.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:42 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: I didn’t say playable. I just said roster. And the thing is, if they want to accurately cover DBZ, these characters would have to be in the game. You could make some cuts but it would still be most of these characters. Doing an original story would have been easier. Also, they could just go up to the Cell Saga and stop there. We dont really know everything yet. But if CC2 IS the dev, the game may very well end up being in development for 3 to 4 years by its release. But again, we don’t really know how the time was spent. Hopefully the follow up info from the finals sheds more light.
You said this.
AnimeNation101 wrote:No, i mean roster as in playable characters/characters you can fight in this game and later unlock to use on missions or to explore. I dont think this game will only allow you to use Goku or something.
All the characters for the arcs covered will probably show up, but the actual number of playable characters will be very small.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: I didn’t say playable. I just said roster. And the thing is, if they want to accurately cover DBZ, these characters would have to be in the game. You could make some cuts but it would still be most of these characters. Doing an original story would have been easier. Also, they could just go up to the Cell Saga and stop there. We dont really know everything yet. But if CC2 IS the dev, the game may very well end up being in development for 3 to 4 years by its release. But again, we don’t really know how the time was spent. Hopefully the follow up info from the finals sheds more light.
You said this.
AnimeNation101 wrote:No, i mean roster as in playable characters/characters you can fight in this game and later unlock to use on missions or to explore. I dont think this game will only allow you to use Goku or something.
All the characters for the arcs covered will probably show up, but the actual number of playable characters will be very small.
Yes, limiting the playable roster to only hero characters is something that could realistically happen. Kinda like Nick’s list:

Goku
Gohan
Bardock
Piccolo
Krillin
Tien
Yamcha
Vegeta
Future Trunks
Goten
Trunks
Gotenks
Vegetto
Gogeta (Movie side quest)
Tapion (movie side quest)

Although this depends on how they handle enemies. Are they as developed as heroes or are they built to just be an enemy and are not as complex/developed as heroes.
Because if its the former, than it would make no sense to not have enemies unlockable despite being as developed as heroes.

Also, i think Bamco and by extension, the devs know that if we only get to use the select few heroes of DB, most people are gonna be kinda angry. I could see them making all the heroes playable and then at least some of the main bosses like Freeza, Cell, and Buu be fully developed and playable while characters like Zarbon and Dodoria or 16, 17, and 18 aren’t fully developed and are kept unplayable. But even then, peeps are still gonna rage. And i get that. We’re used to being able to play as heroes and villains of DB.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:41 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: No, i mean roster as in playable characters/characters you can fight in this game and later unlock to use on missions or to explore. I dont think this game will only allow you to use Goku or something.

Goku
Gohan
Piccolo
Krillin
Tien
Yamcha
Chiaotzu

then
Vegeta
Trunks

and then
Goten
Trunks
Gotenks
Vegetto
Hercule
Videl
Thats worst case scenario. I’d like to think we would be able to use even the villains we fight. Or else the roster would get boring pretty fast.

Like, when you defeat a villain, you unlock them and can go back and use them in any story mission you’ve already completeled or use them in side quests or just to grind and explore. Also, ur missing Bardock. I’m sure we’re gonna have Bardock’s rebellion as a mission.
You’ve never played Legacy of Goku 2 or Buus fury, I’m assuming. Those games limited you to 4-5 characters (granted it was just the standalone arcs, but still). Those games were great in spite of the “shallow” roster. Gotenks was playable too and Gogeta was a secret unlockable post game

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:30 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:

Goku
Gohan
Piccolo
Krillin
Tien
Yamcha
Chiaotzu

then
Vegeta
Trunks

and then
Goten
Trunks
Gotenks
Vegetto
Hercule
Videl

You’ve never played Legacy of Goku 2 or Buus fury, I’m assuming. Those games limited you to 4-5 characters (granted it was just the standalone arcs, but still). Those games were great in spite of the “shallow” roster. Gotenks was playable too and Gogeta was a secret unlockable post game
Great for their time. These days, unless the gameplay is phenomenal, or even if it is, people are gonna complain if this game’s roster is as small as Buu’s Fury or Legacy of Goku.

TreIII

Post by TreIII » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:39 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Thats worst case scenario. I’d like to think we would be able to use even the villains we fight. Or else the roster would get boring pretty fast.

Great for their time. These days, unless the gameplay is phenomenal, or even if it is, people are gonna complain if this game’s roster is as small as Buu’s Fury or Legacy of Goku.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if not only the (playable) roster is comparatively small, the game's "scope", regarding the story, doesn't even cover all of Z.

Someone made the "educated suggestion" on another forum I frequent, and they do make a good point: it's very possible the game may not even go all the way up to Buu, instead cutting off at Cell, since it seems the focus of the game may be on Goku and Gohan as a child (hence the teaser graphic). If that's the case, then maybe we'll get a game that perhaps does as much as it can to get as much mileage out of that era of the original story and other material released around it as possible, plus perhaps some game-exclusive filler/original content.

I'd be fine with such a thing, if it means they may do some things to make for an interesting re-telling/re-envisioning of the story up to that point. Like perhaps weave in the likes of Garlic Jr, Tullece/Turles, Slug, Android 13, Bojack and (probably) Old!Broly in an "organic" fashion to the game's narrative, and close out everything relating to Gohan's "childhood", as a result. Plus maybe being able to perform a few twists to the original story here and there, since even some of the old NES/SNES-era DBZ RPGs allowed you to avoid having everyone (except Piccolo) die during the battle with the Saiyans on Earth.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:53 am

I'd be down for an ARPG in the vein of Kingdom Hearts or Nier, but I really wanna know who the developers are gonna be. I assume Dimps is busy with XV3 and the Heroes game for Switch, I'm pretty sure Spike Chunsoft doesn't do ARPGs, Webfoot hasn't done jack shit in years, Platinum would be cool but unlikely, and there's no way in hell Fromsoft is touching a Dragon Ball game. If this turns out to be a mobile game I'm gonna go supernova you mark my fucking words.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

TreIII

Post by TreIII » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:05 am

KinguKurimuzon wrote:I'd be down for an ARPG in the vein of Kingdom Hearts or Nier, but I really wanna know who the developers are gonna be. I assume Dimps is busy with XV3 and the Heroes game for Switch, I'm pretty sure Spike Chunsoft doesn't do ARPGs, Webfoot hasn't done jack shit in years, Platinum would be cool but unlikely, and there's no way in hell Fromsoft is touching a Dragon Ball game. If this turns out to be a mobile game I'm gonna go supernova you mark my fucking words.
The latest murmurings suggest CyberConnect2. They're known more for their Naruto games, now, but they do have the pedigree to produce a decent action-rpg experience, for those who remember their .Hack games. Frankly, they're the only other force I could imagine Bamco hitting up for a large scale project like this, since Ganbarion (Dragon Ball Fusions) is still finishing up their One Piece: World Seeker game.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:45 pm

Official bandai namco us fb posted the logo again on white, however this time their was a promo art of Goku holding episode 1 of Z Gohan with the 4 star dragon ball outfit. Raditz to Buu is back?

The art looked very clean as well but gamey as well, if those are our graphics its going to be a fun time.