Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:43 am

I haven't seen no final figures yet but Eiga is saying that Broly has surpassed ¥3.7 billion, whether it's surpassed Resurrection F's gross of ¥3.74 billion is something we'll find out eventually.

On Monday it looks like it's made about ¥7 million. No point me guessing a total on the verge of actuals.

We should be getting some revised 3 days estimates and the 4 days estimates for the US gross soon because those figures are all coming out now. Like I said don't be surprised if it's gone down.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:12 pm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?p ... zbroly.htm

Alright we have some new estimates here.

3 Day Weekend - $9,794,742

4 Day Weekend - $11,494,742

Domestic Total - $21,914,771

Worldwide Total - $87,769,752

So it has gone down, about $800,000 for the 3 day weekend (most of it being from Sunday) but that's ok because it could have gone down a lot more as I did say the other figure being given was for $20.5 million by Monday and this has done $21.9 million instead so that's still a fantastic amount.

It's not final and it'll still change but it's great for now and still far better than any estimate that was made of it.

I'm not sure if the International gross might get revised as well later so I'll keep an eye out.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:26 pm

How long will the movie stay in theater?? would be great if it makes 1/1,5 million in the next days so it can reach to 90 millions

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:03 pm

Japanese actuals are in. It made ¥69.8 million for the weekend which brings its total to ¥3.752 billion. With that Broly has officially surpassed Resurrection F and become the most successful Dragon Ball movie in Japan. It's also sold over 2.9 million tickets.

At the moment it's 6.28% ahead of Resurrection at the same point in time, if it ends that's at it'd make ¥3.975 billion so it does have a decent shot at ¥4 billion.

With Monday it should be around ¥3.759 billion.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/dragon-bal ... 202538734/

Just as happened yesterday, Comscore are reporting different figures to Box Office Mojo except this time they're higher. Instead of $21.9 million for the 6 day, they have it at $22.7 million instead.

Doesn't mean it will be either, could fall anywhere but might be a good sign.

They also say $100 million+ worldwide seems certain...and I'd be surprised now if it didn't.
Lujin_16 wrote:How long will the movie stay in theater?? would be great if it makes 1/1,5 million in the next days so it can reach to 90 millions
I can see showings up to the 24th at which point they don't go any further any movie so at least another four days. With how well it's doing I'd be surprised if they didn't extend it.

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:05 pm

PFM18 wrote:
I can see showings up to the 24th at which point they don't go any further any movie so at least another four days. With how well it's doing I'd be surprised if they didn't extend it.
I'd be hyped if they gave it another weekend in the U.S.. My friend didn't get a chance to see it and he's only free on weekends. I'd gladly go see it with him again haha.

MajinVegetaPD
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaPD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 am

BrandonR24 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I'd be hyped if they gave it another weekend in the U.S.. My friend didn't get a chance to see it and he's only free on weekends. I'd gladly go see it with him again haha.
It will be playing until the 29th in select locations.

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:59 am

MajinVegetaPD wrote:
BrandonR24 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

Ah, well fingers crossed that get's to my area haha. Nothing listed just yet.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:01 pm

Some further revisions have actually put it's gross up to $22.36 million. That's up about $400,000.

I don't think they'd updated the overseas figures yet but Toei Animation are saying it's made over $88 million worldwide.

In Japan it also looks to have made another ¥6 million on Tuesday.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:25 pm

So it made 2.1 Mio on monday ??? That's good :thumbup:

I hope in the next days it will still make millions

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:55 pm

Quebec performance: https://www.cinoche.com/films/box-office

Ranked #9 opening weekend, with $45,519 across 7 screens. The film was only screened in English.

National Canadian figures will probably take a few weeks to go public. Canada is typically included in the U.S. boxoffice figures, so this is just for local perspective.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:47 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Canada is typically included in the U.S. boxoffice figures, so this is just for local perspective.
I think these Dragon Ball movies might be one of the rare exceptions because the domestic gross listed for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F doesn't include the Canadian gross.

Box Office Mojo lists their grosses as $2.5 million and $8 million but they actually did $2.8 million and $8.4 million. I'm not sure why it was like that, I don't know if it's like that again with one but if it isn't then it might be worth keeping an eye on the Canadian gross.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:56 pm

Film opens in the UK tomorrow. I have two local theatres that have 6 showings between them (even got two subbed showings at the same time!) just for tomorrow all sold out/near too and one of them just put a late showing on for 9pm. So that makes 7!

For comparison one of my local didn't have ResF and the other had 2 or 3 screenings for that entire week!

I think 100m is in the bag 100%.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:41 pm

I guess this movie’s performance proves once and for all that Dragon Ball in the U.S. is no less of a big deal now than it was back in 2001.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:06 pm

I don't know if it's final or not but the overseas gross increased by about $100,000. So it's at $88.3 million worldwide now.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Film opens in the UK tomorrow. I have two local theatres that have 6 showings between them (even got two subbed showings at the same time!) just for tomorrow all sold out/near too and one of them just put a late showing on for 9pm. So that makes 7.
Same situation here, I had planned to go see the movie at a Showcase in Dudley at 7pm but it was completely sold out for the 23rd and the 24th.

Luckily they added an extra showing at 7:45pm that I was able to get into. They also added one for 9pm here as well.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:13 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Film opens in the UK tomorrow. I have two local theatres that have 6 showings between them (even got two subbed showings at the same time!) just for tomorrow all sold out/near too and one of them just put a late showing on for 9pm. So that makes 7.
Same situation here, I had planned to go see the movie at a Showcase in Dudley at 7pm but it was completely sold out for the 23rd and the 24th.

Luckily they added an extra showing at 7:45pm that I was able to get into. They also added one for 9pm here as well.
My local cinema -- a 15 minute walk or a 10 minute drive away -- has two screenings for the 23rd, 24th and 25th. But here's the catch... the seating is unreserved. So it's literally first come first serve.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:04 am

PFM18 wrote:I don't know if it's final or not but the overseas gross increased by about $100,000. So it's at $88.3 million worldwide now.

Where I am there's three showings in the Vue on the first day, followed by two, and three over the weekends. I only remember there being showing for the Wednesday and Thursday there, and there's was only two screenings on the first day, but now the showings are almost totally booked up over the two days so I'm guessing they added more for that reason. It now runs straight through until the Thursday on top of what I already said. There also a Cineworld and Odeon near me that have added 1 and 2 days extra respectively. With RoF the closest screening to me was 35 miles away, so this one is much easier to see. I mean, I still went to watch RoF, but there definitely many others out off by the distance.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:48 am

Depending on what type of release and promotion it gets and continues to gain in Spain, France, Italy, and China I could see this movie top out at or near $200 million. Since Dragon Ball has manifested quite a resurgence these recent years, it's popularity in several countries has shot up exponentially with Super being one of the most popular foreign shows in China and at one point was the most popular show in France.

$200 million seems like a high ball, but it looks more possible day by day especially since the film hasn't released in all of its most popular territories. However, that’s only if the distributors take adavtange of the large fan bases there and assuming it gets a normal theatrical release like in the Latin America countries.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:34 am

MajinVegetaPD wrote:
BrandonR24 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

I had to go to a different theater than usual to see it, because my nearest theater wasn't showing it. But I looked tonight and now they are showing it multiple times a day until the 31st. I am most likely seeing it again.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:41 am

Looks like theaters around me have added showings all weekend. (yay!) Already have a lot of people planning on going. I have a friend who works at one of my local theaters and he says every showing during the week so far has had more people in it than the other movies typically. So crazy to me that this thing is so big haha.