Ultra Full Power Saiyan 4

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Ultra Full Power Saiyan 4

Post by Saiga » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:38 pm

So... When Goku absorbs the energy of Gotten, Trunks and Gohan during his fight with the one-star shadow dragon, he says "Ultra Full Power Saiyan 4 is complete" - does anyone know what word he used that was translated as "ultra"? It seems this same form of Goku was added to Dokkan battle as Super Full Power Saiyan 4, was this different wording in the Japanese?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Re: Ultra Full Power Saiyan 4

Post by Pantalones » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:35 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but if I had to guess I'd say they probably used "chou" -- which I've seen translated as either "super" or "ultra."

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:31 pm

The kanji used was "超".

I guess the dub went with Ultra because the Chō in "超サイヤ人"(Super Saiyan) is read as "Super" while the 超 in "超フルパワーサイヤ人"(Ultra Full Power Saiyan) was read as "Chō", so for the translation they went and used "Ultra" as synonym(超 can be translated as both) to keep the distinction.

Why Dokkan went and used "Super" instead, I have no idea, but I do believe using "Ultra" was a good translation idea

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:13 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote:The kanji used was "超".

I guess the dub went with Ultra because the Chō in "超サイヤ人"(Super Saiyan) is read as "Super" while the 超 in "超フルパワーサイヤ人"(Ultra Full Power Saiyan) was read as "Chō", so for the translation they went and used "Ultra" as synonym(超 can be translated as both) to keep the distinction.

Why Dokkan went and used "Super" instead, I have no idea, but I do believe using "Ultra" was a good translation idea
Thanks for the explanation! So it's actually the same kanji, just read differently. I was already familiar with "Chō" being translated as 'Super' in various places in the franchise, but I can see why they used 'Ultra' to inidicate that it is read differently to 'Super' Saiyan.

It makes me wonder why they had that distinction in the first place, though.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:38 am

"Super Full Power Saiyan 4" sounds better to me because it actually has word "Super Saiyan" in it.
"Ultra Full Power Saiyan 4" sounds weird, what is "Saiyan 4"?

Maybe if it was "Ultra Full Power Super Saiyan 4" it would be good, because you'd have "Super Saiyan 4" in name and "Ultra Full Power" that implies this form is more than just Full Power, considering it was a limit breaking state.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta