Who Should Return Or Be Canonized Next?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Who Should Return Or Be Canonized Next?

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:26 pm

How about Cell? We know he has so much potential from being cloned out of Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, Cold, and Piccolo's DNA(as well as the DNA of Krillin, Tenshinhan, Nappa, Gohan, and others implied by anime filler) so would he achieve "Beyond Perfection Cell" as a justification for his reappearance? Or how about Cooler? Maybe he can he rewritten as Freeza's overly-ambitious brother who Cold put down and locked away decades prior for being too evil & greedy for his own good? I could see him achieving "Platinum Cooler" as a jab at Freeza's golden form and then beating his younger brother into submission so much that Freeza actually calls for aid from Goku & Vegeta.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Who Should Return Or Be Canonized Next?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:49 pm

No more returns. Is a fact that Super introduced only 1 villain in 131 episodes and movie really nothing to be worried about? Also Cell is finished, there isn't anything even slightly interesting that could be made with his return. Frieza is much more complex character, so it kinda worked even though i still consider his return to be bad idea, because it's always better to bring new villain instead of recoloring old one. Cell is threat exclusive to Earth and everything that could be done with him was already done. Also, he isn't that much popular compared to Frieza and Buu. Not in Japan at least.

I hate reboots like they did with Broly.
But if there is any villain that would make even slight sense to be canonized then it's Cooler and Baby. Those two has strong connection to lore and have a lot of potential. I can't see anyone else appearing honestly.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 pm

"Canonizing" Broly was an acceptable idea because he's a Saiyan and he's stupidly popular, so whether you like him or not, there are lots of interesting things you can do with the storytelling and background lore there. It was enough to make Toriyama feel invested in rebooting him.

I can't say the same for... well, literally anyone else. There's just no justification for it. Damn near everybody and their grandma would prefer to see a new antagonist at this point.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:50 pm

I loved the Toyotaro sketch of Oob and King Chapa so I'd be thrilled to see them. As to who should be canonised.... Baby.

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:31 pm

I’d love to see the Shadow Dragons, Janemba, Bebi, and Cooler.

1. Repercussions for over use of the dragon balls.
2. When Gogeta and Broly entered that dimension, he noticed them. And was set free when they destroyed it.
3. Bebi, tuffles want revenge for what the saiyans did to them.
4. And cooler, loved to actually see a decent or good-ish Frieza race.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:47 pm

Fuck it, give me Coola. Freeza's empire gets invaded by Coola and his fleet that was loyal to him when he was exiled 40+ years ago and Freeza must turn to Gokuu and Vegeta to defeat Coola for him.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:10 am

Personally I'd be happy with nothing else coming back (save for one exception for sure), but there are certain ones that have...potential.

1) Garlic (Jr.) - With this one, I'd actually rather they touch on the former Kami stuff again and just bring in Garlic himself, possibly with a re-tooled version of Jr. as a minion of sorts. Piccolo could be brought back into the fold a bit more with this (and give plenty of exposition) due to having Kami back inside of himself now. Likely they could drop the 'immortal' angle though, since we've already done that with Zamasu now, but the Dead Zone itself could be re-tooled and made more interesting - just make it an actual location we get to see inside of, and maybe Goku or someone else gets sucked inside of it for a big climactic final battle.

2) Cooler - Done right, this one could be interesting just because it could further flesh out Freeza's backstory even further, but I feel like the ship may have sailed on this one a bit with no mention or reference to him at all in Broly. They could still do it, but I think the easiest way to do so at this point would be to have Freeza himself be unaware that he has a brother. Maybe Cooler was exiled by Cold years before, or maybe Cold was actually working on conquering larger areas of space than we knew (maybe even other Universes?) via his sons, and he'd already given Cooler an area and an army of minions somewhere else prior, just like we see him do for Freeza in Broly. Cooler decides to check in on his father at long last, only to find he can't contact him, and finds out that not only was his father killed (by lowly beings such as a Saiyan no less), but his own sibling didn't even bother to get their father resurrected when he had the chance. ...Actually, now that I think about it, maybe the more interesting route could come out of them NOT having mentioned him so far.

3) Janemba - Janemba's another popular one that I could see being re-done, but honestly? Not sure what all that different they could do with him. But seeing Other World again, in a more canon Toriyama manner, could be fun if nothing else. And seeing Janemba's move set, which is incredibly unique, utilized in new animation could be fun too.

4) Tapion & Hirudegarn - This one would take a lot of futzing to make it not just a Majin Boo clone, but you know what? I love the entire concept of basically a kaiju that the gang has to fight. I'd be game to see Hirudegarn re-imagined in some new way. Tapion would be interesting too as yet another hero introduced, but likely they'd have to drop the whole 'he has Trunks' sword' angle because that never even made proper sense in it's original film anyway.

5) The Shadow Dragons - That one exception I mentioned? This is it. The Dragons, in concept anyway, have always been one of the best ideas to come out of GT, IMO. Making the Dragon Balls the problem instead of the plot macguffins that will fix everything at the end of the day? That's ingenious and honestly has always been the best idea for a grand finale to the entire franchise. Whether it'd be used as another grand finale, I don't know, but seeing the concept of them re-imagined, even if it was with entirely different Dragons than the ones we know, would be great. The idea was entirely wasted in GT proper with extremely poor execution, so I'd love to see it done properly nowadays.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:11 am

Return:
Crane Hermit & Tao Pai Pai: I'd like to see these guys return in a small interlude arc to face off against Roshi and Tien.

King Cold or Ginyu Force: Maybe if Freeza revives them we could get some expansion on these characters, but I doubt it.

Android 16: I think he would be a great asset to being a park ranger alongside 17 and would make for a good mini-arc for him.

Buu: I know he's in, but he doesn't do much and I want him to become very relevant again as a fighter.

Grandpa Gohan: I wouldn't mind seeing a modern spar between Goku and his adoptive grandfather.

Canonized:
Cooler: As the brother of Freeza and probably second most popular movie villain, he is the best candidate to be canonized. You could easily have him be this dangerous exiled Freeza-race member perhaps responsible for the destruction of their home planet or something. The Big Gete Star can be rebooted to be part of his power and how he gets so strong.

Pikkon & Janemba: I personally would like an exploration of the afterlife and perhaps have the Otherworld Tournament rebooted alongside Fusion Reborn. A villains return from Hell plot could also be made into something interesting as well.

Tuffles (Dr. Raichi & Bebi): A Tuffle revenge storyline should really be a thing in the main continuity of DB. Just reboot Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans and the Bebi Saga from GT and we could get something cool. Perhaps Dr. Raichi uses his Hatchiyack supercomputer to create Dr. Myuu and the Machine Mutants along with the Ghost Warriors (also considered special Machine Mutants) and then later collects enough data and DNA to create Bebi who later possesses many people. Then Hatchiyack could eventually come out in his warrior form and fight as well with the battle perhaps culminating in Bebi Hatchiyack as the final opponent.

Shadow Dragons: A consequence for the DBs would be really nice to have really and I've always liked Omega Shenron's design.

Android 21: I kinda want a story arc revolving around this character, but not really based around the plot point of artificial souls in FighterZ or those waves that weaken fighters.

Ozotto: I just think he has a pretty cool design and would be great for a mini-arc perhaps.

Demon Realm Stuff (DBH and DBX): So much potential here for a group or hierarchy of villains to fight with a grand motive.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:41 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: 5) The Shadow Dragons - That one exception I mentioned? This is it. The Dragons, in concept anyway, have always been one of the best ideas to come out of GT, IMO. Making the Dragon Balls the problem instead of the plot macguffins that will fix everything at the end of the day? That's ingenious and honestly has always been the best idea for a grand finale to the entire franchise. Whether it'd be used as another grand finale, I don't know, but seeing the concept of them re-imagined, even if it was with entirely different Dragons than the ones we know, would be great. The idea was entirely wasted in GT proper with extremely poor execution, so I'd love to see it done properly nowadays.
I'd love to see the Evil Dragons fleshed out better. Personally, I think there's a lot of room to play around with the Dragons' wishes and lesser used characters, like so:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:27 am

Zamasu should return. He was a great villain who has the potential to be a multiversal threat for much longer than half a single episode. He is also a very versatile villain because while he hates anyone but himself, he would certainly team up with others if it suited his plans (like he did in Heroes where he teams up with Hearts and other like-minded people who seek to dethrone the worthless boy king). Yeah, I would love to see an arc where the main villain is a group of evil characters, amongst which there is Zamasu. I love the new arc of Heroes and hope that something similar eventually happens in Super. Besides, the Zamasu in Cell's timeline is still alive, I am sure that he will play a role in the future.

Zamasu is also the most popular character introduced in Super, just look at how much merchandise and fan arts Black has. I wouldn't mind seeing him back, though I'd prefer Zamasu because I much prefer his design.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:59 am

Definitely the Shadow Dragons.
Keep some of them goofy, but remake a part of them into more credible or serious enemies.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:26 am

I'm not sure if Shadow Dragons could work in Super just like that. This saga worked best as a definitive final saga. Goku left with Shenron in mysterious ending and then we see that 100 years later, dragon balls became just a tale once again. We also see that Earthlings rebuilt entire Earth by themselves, without asking Shenron for help. I don't think Super can replicate this feeling, we still have a tournament in few years, Goku meets Uub and everything is alright. Also, this saga was connected to previous saga, with negative energy being responsible for villains escaping hell. And Krillin died in this saga, they couldn't bring him back until all dragons are defeated. Recreating this saga in Super wouldn't have such big impact and wouldn't be so dark themed if it was just put randomly as "yet next saga".

But on the other hand, Shadow Dragons were able to seperate Earth from the rest of universe, so even gods couldn't reach it. It's a good excuse for Beerus and Whis not being able to help them as always and make them look completely helpless which would be really cool. As for now, there is no real threat to Earth because Beerus can always help if they give him enough food. This saga could be good example of him not being able to do anything this time and Z-fighters would have to rely on themselves. This is something that could work better in Super than it did in GT, where Kibitokai and Old Kai would be useless anyway even if they reached Earth. The only problem was that Z-fighters couldn't escape Earth even if they wanted to.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:25 am

I mean, Baby is probably the best choice, but it would have to be a while away. After Broly, I'm not sure I could go for yet another Saiyan story. And on that note, since Freeza is back we really don't need Cooler.

Janemba or Hirudegarn could be cool, but they're a bit 'monster-of-the-week'. None of the other movie villains would really make sense with where the story is now. Super 17 is redundant, I don't like Shadow Dragons even as a concept, but I would be interested in seeing an updated version based on the additions from Super. What would the Eighth Dragon, born from the wish to cure Baby Pan's fever look like? Does the "revive Freeza" dragon pull double duty with the "give the Pilaf gang a million Zeni/ice cream" dragon or are they separate? For that matter, there'd have to be one for making the Pilaf gang kids as well.

Better off sticking to new ideas for now. Moro seems interesting, let them run the course with him and at least one or two more original characters before going back to the old well.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:05 am

Bojack: he and his gang could be canonised as to being pirates from another universe who were sealed millions of years ago by the God of Destruction using the sealing technique Beerus used on Old Kai. Having the God resort to such a technique would mean Bojack and his gang would really be a fearsome pack.
Cooler: he could be canonised to still be Freeza’s son, with the reason he was never seen or mentioned being that he wasn’t a mutant like Freeza, and so King Cold literally trashed him into the empty space. This idea of Cooler would be of a warrior who, born with no talent, became incredibly strong by training all his life due to his inner potential being even superior to Freeza’s.
Janemba: to give him a personality, I would have his soul being the aggregation of all the evil souls in the multiverses’ hells. This would also grant him the combined power of all the souls and all their techniques. So this Janemba would be the most evil and flawed being in existence, with an incredible power and all kinds of techniques to make that much more of a threat.
Hirudegarn: the manga name dropped a Universe 12 time traveller, so what if that was none other than Tapion? I would keep the basic story, with Hirudegarn being the monster who attacked Konats and that was sealed inside of Tapion and the Ocarina. To mix in the time-travelling stuff, I would write it so that the music boxes Tapion and his brother were sealed into were sent back into time, instead then into the galaxy, so that the planet could be super safe.
Turles: he sounds redundant because of Goku Black already being a thing, but I have a concept which would work: basically Turles would be another low-class warrior Saiyan who was sent to a Planet to conquer it, but there was a problem and he ended up on a high-level Planet only a group of strong Saiyans could conquer, his traces were lost and everyone figured he was dead, but he wasn’t and eventually, through smart tactics he was able to conquer the Planet, also thanks to his innocent child-like look (we have never seen a Saiyan kid abusing this trait to conquer planets), but then Vegeta went boom and he couldn’t return to it, so he ended up into a different universe while roaming space, and found lots of other planets to conquer and eventually he came into possession of the fruit of the Tree of the Might, which I would make a forbidden fruit of the Gods to explain the power-up.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I mean, Baby is probably the best choice, but it would have to be a while away. After Broly, I'm not sure I could go for yet another Saiyan story. And on that note, since Freeza is back we really don't need Cooler.

Janemba or Hirudegarn could be cool, but they're a bit 'monster-of-the-week'. None of the other movie villains would really make sense with where the story is now. Super 17 is redundant, I don't like Shadow Dragons even as a concept, but I would be interested in seeing an updated version based on the additions from Super. What would the Eighth Dragon, born from the wish to cure Baby Pan's fever look like? Does the "revive Freeza" dragon pull double duty with the "give the Pilaf gang a million Zeni/ice cream" dragon or are they separate? For that matter, there'd have to be one for making the Pilaf gang kids as well.

Better off sticking to new ideas for now. Moro seems interesting, let them run the course with him and at least one or two more original characters before going back to the old well.
Yeah Janemba and Hirudegarn wouldn't really fit a full length saga. More like a Super 17 type of saga, that especially goes to Janemba since in both cases there were villains escaping hell.

Eight dragon? There are 7 dragon balls only lol. It's not like every single wish resulted in a dragon. Shenron removing bombs from #17 and #18 didn't create a dragon for example. They could just pick other wishes this time, including new ones like curing Pan.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:12 am

The Turles movie was my favourite of the DBZ movies, and the one that I watched the most, so I'll go with Turles, if only because I'd like to see all of his old gang return as well so we could see non-Goku/ Vegeta characters having a piece of the action as well, One Piece style.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:49 am

Top 5 Should Be Canonised:

1. Baby. The 3rd best major villain in the whole series. Very creepy, very unique design, very powerful. High potential with the body snatching.

2. Tapion. His design is just too cool. The mohawk, the flute... Need more guys with a sword too. Optional to throw in the other Movie 13 guys but inventing a whole new backstory is OK too.

3. Androids 13, 14, & 15. Ideally alongside an introduction of androids 9 through 12. I know they're super weak by this point. But 17 and 18 somehow managed to stay relevant and now there's a 21. Androids are cool!

4. Daikaio. Grand Kai! Not sure if he's canon or not but he should be. More kais is a good thing and fits with the universe building.

5. Zangya. Warrior chicks are cool and in short supply.

But above all these characters you know what REALLY should be canon?

Super Saiyan Freaking 4 and Golden Oozaru. Blue and Rose and all the palette swaps are so lazy and boring. Seriously, deviantart level.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:15 pm

The Evil Dragons, Bojack and Baby really stand out as concepts that fit within the lore of Dragon Ball and could be fleshed out and retooled into something worthwhile.

And given the context of Freeza's army making its resurgence following the Universal Survival arc, I'd love to Cooler emerge and go to war with Freeza. Dragon Ball doesn't do "evil vs evil" much in terms of conflicts, and I'd love to seem some civil family war.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:17 pm

1. Cooler
2. Android 21 & Cell
3. Baby
4. The Shadow Dragons
5. Tapion
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:04 pm

controversial idea I'm sure, but here's an idea.

Not an exact lift, but I think the tree of might, as a concept, could be lifted. Not the movie, the tree itself. In recent games, like Xenoverse 2, we learned it was a tree used by gods. With the recent years going into god ki I think you could use the concept.

If you reuse turles though, I think you could redo him a lot. Drop his Goku resemblance and have him as part of a deranged cult who worship the super saiyan and super saiyan god legends of old. Not thought too much on how he does this, but he escapes Planet Vegeta and finds the tree, but its just a seed with a single root (like a staff he can carry as an old man with a sceptre). He takes time away while the story happens in the main plot to learn about the gods, Zeno etc, and decides he believes HE should be the saiyan god, and enacts a plan to steal god ki. Possibly observing Goku and the other saiyans from earth, presenting as an ally to the King and informing him of Beerus' hand in the destruction of his planet.

Vegeta confronts him on it and the main plot is Vegeta vs Goku who tries to stop him going after Beerus.This god ki conflict fuels the tree to grow and Turles eats the fruit to become a sort of 'god ape' kind of monster and he has to be put down.

Just a thought I've been kicking around.