"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kouga

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Kouga » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:11 pm

On November 20th, Dragon Ball will turn 35... what if Super returns on TV in October? :think:
Dragon Ball, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and DuckTales: no matter how old I get, these three things will always be my greatest passions.
English is not my first language, have mercy! :D

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:33 pm

The movie comes out on Blu-Ray this summer (most likely). And that could be a problem if they want to make a new series this year starting off with the new story of Broly. People may not be that interested in the anime if the Broly movie has just come out on Blu-Ray.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:56 am

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:58 am

I was wondering when someone would finally post it here :lol: All we need now is an actual official announcement.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:16 pm

They missed Jump Festa for... What's this? :crazy:

Anyway, just hoping Dragon Ball Super doesn't suck this time. Please bring actual stories, flesh out concepts and don't be afraid to leave the safe zone.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Very exciting to finally have some sort of confirmation (as if Broly's box office numbers weren't confirmation enough). Now to wait for an official announcement!

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:21 pm

Good, good. I was worried I wouldn’t get to see Moro animated. Plus I’ve actually been missing all our late night episode discussions.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:28 pm

Grimlock wrote:They missed Jump Festa for... What's this? :crazy:

Anyway, just hoping Dragon Ball Super doesn't suck this time. Please bring actual stories, flesh out concepts and don't be afraid to leave the safe zone.
As far as I understood this is coming from a licencing convention meant for media outlets and other different types of industry partners, so the info wasn't technically supposed to reach the general public. It's not an event for fans like Jump Festa

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:29 pm

I just want to know the fate of the character designers. Tell me we're keeping this new, fun Shintani art style and I don't care how much of a heads up they give us for Super 2.0's start date.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:33 pm

What a random way of revealing that Super is continuing.

Fingers crossed Shintani and Nagamine stick around.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:What a random way of revealing that Super is continuing.

I can see Shintani staying but Nagamine on Twitter said that he may not come back to Dragon Ball.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:54 pm

I'm assuming that
Michsi wrote:As far as I understood this is coming from a licencing convention meant for media outlets and other different types of industry partners, so the info wasn't technically supposed to reach the general public.
is correct and this wasn't supposed to be revealed at all. Even if we did have some knowledge about this beforehand, we should be prepared for eventual misunderstandings etc. just in case.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:00 pm

gg toei trying to deny it but if comjng no worries... been pre production October last year fellas

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Good, good. I was worried I wouldn’t get to see Moro animated. Plus I’ve actually been missing all our late night episode discussions.
You still might not. Nothing says the anime will cover the manga.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:12 pm

And it shouldn't for a lot of reasons, but that doesn't mean the arc itself isn't part of Toriyama's outlines. If pre-production for the anime really did start just after the movie ended, then it would match up with Toyotaro starting that arc in the manga, meaning they were probably given the notes at the same time or at least similar times anyway.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:45 pm

Shaddy wrote:And it shouldn't for a lot of reasons, but that doesn't mean the arc itself isn't part of Toriyama's outlines. If pre-production for the anime really did start just after the movie ended, then it would match up with Toyotaro starting that arc in the manga, meaning they were probably given the notes at the same time or at least similar times anyway.
Except Toyo himself said he’s writing the arc and Toriyama didn’t even reference the manga in his statement at Jump Festa. Only Broly and his ‘next work’.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:56 pm

Toyo and Toriyama are still working on the arc together. He didn't explicitly state the guy had no involvement. All I'm saying is that it's not impossible for the anime to do the Galactic Prisoner arc while not explicitly following the manga (because, again, that would be a terrible fucking decision). We don't know when exactly all this stuff was planned out.

Though if what you're saying really is true, this once again makes things look worse for Toyotaro, since people constantly give his poor decisions the benefit of the doubt based on the idea that Toei's productions keep getting in the way.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 pm

Shaddy wrote:Toyo and Toriyama are still working on the arc together. He didn't explicitly state the guy had no involvement. All I'm saying is that it's not impossible for the anime to do the Galactic Prisoner arc while not explicitly following the manga (because, again, that would be a terrible fucking decision). We don't know when exactly all this stuff was planned out.

Though if what you're saying really is true, this once again makes things look worse for Toyotaro, since people constantly give his poor decisions the benefit of the doubt based on the idea that Toei's productions keep getting in the way.
Never said that. What I said was that Toriyama doesn’t seem to acknowledge the current manga arc as his own since he said nothing about it. Only Broly and his ‘next project’. That and this arc has very low key promotion compared to everything else Toriyama touched. So the manga comes off as Toyo’s story supervise by Toriyama. Another key thing is Moro has no Toriyama art and no one claimed Toriyama designed him unlike the characters from the TOP. Which is odd since Toriyama does designs for stuff like Legends and FighterZ.
Kanassa wrote:

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:31 pm

I'm not disputing any of that. My only point really is that following Toyo's manga would be a terrible idea and that whatever chance there is of the current manga arc showing up in the anime, it's likely not "we adapt Toyo's manga every week like we did with Toriyama because that made Z so fun to watch".

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:52 pm

majinwarman wrote:

I can see Shintani staying but Nagamine on Twitter said that he may not come back to Dragon Ball.
Whaaa? Well that sucks he directed the hell out of Broly! That would be very disappointing.