"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Game Project Z Action RPG" Announced.

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:15 pm

I was previously doubtful that the game would be just DBZ's story again, but now with the rumors that the game has been in development for a good couple of years (possibly pre-dating Super really being a thing just yet), and most of all that art of Goku holding up Gohan which is clearly from the Raditz stuff, then looks like it really is going to be that again. Hopefully it does it in a fun enough manner to make playing the same old grind worthwhile again. If it really is CC2 developed, I have no doubts they can pull that off though. With any luck, maybe this game will be what Sagas, so many years ago, SHOULD have been.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:08 pm

nato25 wrote:Official bandai namco us fb posted the logo again on white, however this time their was a promo art of Goku holding episode 1 of Z Gohan with the 4 star dragon ball outfit. Raditz to Buu is back?

The art looked very clean as well but gamey as well, if those are our graphics its going to be a fun time.
Oh geez, is that a model? I honestly can't tell. Not sure how I feel about another Raditz to Buu game. If it's fun then whatever, but it'd be nice to see Bamco put out a real DBS game sometime.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:59 pm

You know what I also can't tell. I'm leaning towards yes though mostly the hands.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:54 pm

nato25 wrote:You know what I also can't tell. I'm leaning towards yes though mostly the hands.
Thats exactly my evidence too. Also the pants wrinkles look more like a 3d model than art
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:01 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
nato25 wrote:You know what I also can't tell. I'm leaning towards yes though mostly the hands.
Thats exactly my evidence too. Also the pants wrinkles look more like a 3d model than art
Where's Ajay at lol

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:16 pm

nato25 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Where's Ajay at lol
It's a model, the hands and shading give it away.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:09 pm

If it's a model, I think it looks even better than FighterZ.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:39 am

We haven't had a DB game from Raditz to Buu since 2012. Games since XV1 have done their own stories or have ended with the last two DBZ movies.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:29 pm

I actually wouldn't mind a Raditz to Buu affair at all. My issue was that there was never a true, good, fleshed-out representation of that whole history in game form. It was either bare bones, only covered the main beats, went in weird what-if directions, or the game was just bad. If they put the Z series into video game form and it plays well, I'd be perfectly fine with that. There's plenty of other stuff going on (FighterZ, Xenoverse, Heroes) that covers all the other new hotness right now. DLC (an unfavorable but inescapable reality of the gaming landscape) or a sequel to this game could easily cover the Super content, or even OG Dragon Ball.

Also, not to be rude, but why is everyone posting lists of characters in every new game thread? I mean... we all know what characters are in the series, and we don't have any inside information to confirm or deny these arbitrary laundry lists, so I'm just genuinely wondering what the point is...?
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:51 pm

Thanos wrote:I actually wouldn't mind a Raditz to Buu affair at all. My issue was that there was never a true, good, fleshed-out representation of that whole history in game form. It was either bare bones, only covered the main beats, went in weird what-if directions, or the game was just bad. If they put the Z series into video game form and it plays well, I'd be perfectly fine with that. There's plenty of other stuff going on (FighterZ, Xenoverse, Heroes) that covers all the other new hotness right now. DLC (an unfavorable but inescapable reality of the gaming landscape) or a sequel to this game could easily cover the Super content, or even OG Dragon Ball.

Also, not to be rude, but why is everyone posting lists of characters in every new game thread? I mean... we all know what characters are in the series, and we don't have any inside information to confirm or deny these arbitrary laundry lists, so I'm just genuinely wondering what the point is...?
Because usually, when there is a lack info for a db game, roster is something you can always talk about. Thats just my guess though.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:12 pm

I wouldn't mind a Raditz to Buu story but were an OC that is apart of the z warriors as opposed to.time patrol going back in time.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:23 pm

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfMBDSTEbm8
One day we'll move on from 'Head-Cha-La'
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Not necessarily excited about playing through the same old story again, but it is what it is. The game looks gorgeous though and it should be fun. Its just difficult for me to get excited about a game where I know everything thats going to happen.

At this point, I hope when XV3 eventually comes, it gives me my DB MMO fix and they dedicate more modes to co-op. Definitely will play this though and happy that the db franchise is on a good game streak
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:43 pm

dualist wrote:Not necessarily excited about playing through the same old story again, but it is what it is. The game looks gorgeous though and it should be fun. Its just difficult for me to get excited about a game where I know everything thats going to happen.

At this point, I hope when XV3 eventually comes, it gives me my DB MMO fix and they dedicate more modes to co-op. Definitely will play this though and happy that the db franchise is on a good game streak
I'll be more excited if they have the movies as side quests, though I want to see some gameplay first

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:49 pm

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the game looks great! CyberConnect2 is fantastic news. I hope it's open world that would be even more hype lol.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:55 pm

From the vibe I'm getting here and off YouTube, many fans are actually delighted to go back to the nostalgic setting of Z - which I'm happy about. I'm not really a bandwagon sort of guy and it seems popular nowadays to complain whenever the DB franchise moves backwards in anyway to focus on Z elements rather than Super ones. I completely understand the infamous Radtiz-Buu argument that everyone brings up because that was our reality for about a decade of DB games until Battle of Gods/Super came out alongside Xenoverse.

That's the thing, though. Even people like Rhymestyle and SeeRaex (think I wrote that right) are completely fine with a DB game actually going back to a possible Z-only story. Know why? Because we haven't had a Z-only story without added Time Patroller/Xenoverse tidbits since 2014 with Battle of Z (which I don't even think many count because it wasn't a popular game). Ultimate Tenkaichi also falls into that not too popular a game boat, so if we're going by the better received games - Raging Blast was the last time we had a game that told the entire Z story and that was back in '09, so it's literally almost been a decade since then!

At this point, it won't kill us if we get one more game with Z-only storyline. IT'S THE Z'S 30TH ANNIVERSARY, AFTER ALL!!! Besides, I'm sure by the time of next year's DB game or the year after, it'll be a Xenoverse 3 (or I hope, a whole new game) that will have new content from Super to add in (such as more ToP content/characters, possibly Moro and beyond). (Also, CyberConnect2 working on this adds an entirely new level of hype to the game since they were my childhood with the Storm games).

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Very cool trailer but no gameplay there. In a way I'm glad it might just be to end of freeza. They can really focus on the arcs and do the best with them.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:09 pm

nato25 wrote:Very cool trailer but no gameplay there. In a way I'm glad it might just be to end of freeza. They can really focus on the arcs and do the best with them.
Yeah, I've been telling people that it's wishful thinking to hope for any more than Frieza. Like, Legacy of Goku went up to Frieza, sequel then did Cell, then sequel did Buu.

Now of course it can still happen, but as you said I'd love for them to focus on making this the best they can and if that means focusing down up to Frieza then I'm all for it.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:11 pm

nato25 wrote:Very cool trailer but no gameplay there. In a way I'm glad it might just be to end of freeza. They can really focus on the arcs and do the best with them.
Pretty sure we see a shot of Goku's Buu arc spirit bomb

Kanassa wrote:

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:16 pm

Also, guess it's a big part of Goku's character now that he is also Kakarot (you'll know why for reasons I'm not going to say here). Anyone else feel warm inside when the narrator says "hope" and Goku is shown charging the Spirit Bomb and then being a good dad to Gohan by comforting him? Just gloriously nostalgic and reminding me what I always loved about Dragon Ball Z as a kid (Been a while since I even said DBZ and not just DB, because the franchise has kinda evolved from Z to Super at this point). The simplicity, Toriyama's trademark.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.