Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Movie made about ¥7 million on Wednesday for a little over $3.77 billion.

Now unless they come within the next 30-40 minutes, I'm not going to be on when the Tuesday US figures come out so someone else can keep an eye on it or I'll just do it when I come back but you wanna check this because it usually comes here first.

https://mobile.twitter.com/borreport?lang=en

Or if not it'll be on Box Office Mojo later.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:20 pm

With that in mind, is it really anyone's guess why the Dragon Ball movies are still on limited release stateside? It needs to expand.
The world is your's.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:46 pm

tinlunlau wrote:With that in mind, is it really anyone's guess why the Dragon Ball movies are still on limited release stateside? It needs to expand.
No kidding. Not one theater in my state had it!

Was so disappointed when I found that out. :(

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:08 pm

Still no numbers how much dbs broly did yesterday hmm weird maybe it's difficult to predict i don't know

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Yeah the numbers have come real late but they have come, worth noting that they are considered an "estimate", usually you'd get the actuals so it's probably why nothing was reported so this could change.

Anyway on Tuesday it was estimated to have made $1,285,000 which brings it's domestic total up to $23,648,340 and it's worldwide total up to $89,617,139. That's actually a pretty good Tuesday and a light drop compared to other movies, it even beat Aquaman.

With whatever amount it made overseas on Monday and Tuesday, this is definitely past $90 million now. It's also surely getting past $25 million in US and I gotta wonder if it has a crack at $30 million even. As long as the theatre count and showings stay steady it will do it but you never know with movies like this.

MajinVegetaPD
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaPD » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:32 pm

BrandonR24 wrote:Looks like theaters around me have added showings all weekend. (yay!) Already have a lot of people planning on going. I have a friend who works at one of my local theaters and he says every showing during the week so far has had more people in it than the other movies typically. So crazy to me that this thing is so big haha.
Indeed, I won't mention the Theater chain I work for, but if this was a wide release they estimated it would have been the #1 movie in the country last weekend, and it wouldn't have even been close.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:16 am

Jackalope89 wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:With that in mind, is it really anyone's guess why the Dragon Ball movies are still on limited release stateside? It needs to expand.
No kidding. Not one theater in my state had it!

Was so disappointed when I found that out. :(
Tickets were sold out in most of the theatres in my area. I had to bear with sitting by the front center seat. I really need a second screening. Screen was adequately big but not big enough.
The world is your's.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:35 am

According to the Acquisitions and Marketing manager at MangaUK, Broly was the third biggest film at the box office for its opening day.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:01 am

Sora Saiyan wrote:According to the Acquisitions and Marketing manager at MangaUK, Broly was the third biggest film at the box office for its opening day.
That's pretty good seeing as it probably had a fraction of the showings. Glass would be #1, not sure what would be #2 though.

Resurrection F made $280,000 in UK which really wasn't a lot of money but that's probably because of the limited showings it had because it was packed when I saw it. I don't know how this one will do in comparison but it's obviously going to do better. Even as much as $1 million would be good for it.

It also comes out in Australia and New Zealand today so I'd be interested to know what it was like over there and if it was equally as packed.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:26 am

PFM18 wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote:According to the Acquisitions and Marketing manager at MangaUK, Broly was the third biggest film at the box office for its opening day.
That's pretty good seeing as it probably had a fraction of the showings. Glass would be #1, not sure what would be #2 though.

Resurrection F made $280,000 in UK which really wasn't a lot of money but that's probably because of the limited showings it had because it was packed when I saw it. I don't know how this one will do in comparison but it's obviously going to do better. Even as much as $1 million would be good for it.
Having seen it in Dublin last night I can confirm the theatre was almost full. It's also being shown for a full week, unlike Resurrection F, which only got a single day release here. Screenings in other major urban areas like Cork and Limerick have been announced too so clearly there's demand from all corners of this small country.

$1 million between the UK and Ireland would be an achievement in of itself. Hopefully anyone who hasn't seen it yet and wants to or just wants to go again will help make this a reality.

I can see Sky Cinema getting this at some point down the line and doing well seen as how the last two movies (which are now paling in comparison when it comes to box office totals) did for them.
PFM18 wrote:It also comes out in Australia and New Zealand today so I'd be interested to know what it was like over there and if it was equally as packed.
Yeah I'm very interested to see how well it does down under. Those are big markets so they should give its worldwide take a good boost.

Let's hit that $100 million milestone people. We need more well written Dragon Ball movies from TOEI, and money speaks louder than words.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Box Office Mojo updated the gross so as of January 22nd, now it's at $66.6 million overseas and $90.24 million worldwide.

That means it made about $700,000 outside of US on Monday and Tuesday so it's still making a bit but it's slowing down in current markets though it has opened in a few new ones over yesterday and today to keep it going some.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:57 pm

Theu updated again, now it's $91,064,190 worldwide.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:58 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:Theu updated again, now it's $91,064,190 worldwide.
Yeah the US gross came in much earlier today, on Wednesday it made $822,000 which brings its domestic total up to $24.47 million.

There's a chance it could get to $100 million worldwide by Sunday. It's not a sure thing yet but there's a chance.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:54 pm

Again in the top 3 :thumbup:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Might want to take this with a grain of salt because I think they don't have much of a read on it but I'll post it anyway because it's not my fault if it ends up being off.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4479&p=.htm

"Another possibility for that fifth slot could be FUNimation's Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Last weekend the film delivered an impressive $9.8 million from just 1,238 locations, but as of press time we still haven't received a theater count for this weekend. Should it remain in a similar number of locations, don't be surprised to see it challenge for a spot in the top five for a second straight weekend."

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly (??? theaters) - $5.5 M"

So that could change widely depending on the size of its release but if it made that amount (I'd be very surprised if it did) then it would see the movie past $30 million.

Anything close to that amount would all but guarantee that the movie would be past $100 million by Sunday.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:50 am

I’ve seen the movie twice but I might go one more time just to help out the box office because I feel the movie deserves the support. I want more movies... hopefully with all original characters next time, in this animation style.

I have to say, it’s a bit crazy to see the movie debut at #1 and make more than twice as much as Resurrection F domestically. For a long time I felt I was in a small little niche fandom but Dragon Ball is now a mainstream widespread thing in America. I’ve aleays know it was a huge thing worldwide, but it’s weird seeing it get so much attention finally after 20+ years of my fandom.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:07 pm

The movie made about ¥5 million on Friday.

It was also #1 on opening day in Australia.

https://twitter.com/Madman/status/1088579976469737477

"A MASSIVE thanks to all the #DBSuperBroly fans who came out on opening day! Your collected power made Dragon Ball Super Broly the #1 film across Australia and New Zealand! Who's ready for round 2?"

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:18 pm

bleed0range wrote:I’ve seen the movie twice but I might go one more time just to help out the box office because I feel the movie deserves the support. I want more movies... hopefully with all original characters next time, in this animation style.

I have to say, it’s a bit crazy to see the movie debut at #1 and make more than twice as much as Resurrection F domestically. For a long time I felt I was in a small little niche fandom but Dragon Ball is now a mainstream widespread thing in America. I’ve aleays know it was a huge thing worldwide, but it’s weird seeing it get so much attention finally after 20+ years of my fandom.
DBZ was pretty mainstream in the U.S. back in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:45 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
bleed0range wrote:I’ve seen the movie twice but I might go one more time just to help out the box office because I feel the movie deserves the support. I want more movies... hopefully with all original characters next time, in this animation style.

DBZ was pretty mainstream in the U.S. back in the late 90s and early 2000s.
But one could argue it's even bigger now than it was before, with things like this films success and the whole parade thing etc.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:42 pm

Broly was #3 again and made $734,000 on Thursday, it's domestic total now stands at $25.2 million. So it's made exactly triple what Resurrection F made which in turn made exactly triple what Battle of Gods made.

I'd be happy enough with anything above $3 million for the weekend.

The Worldwide total is now at $91.8 million but the overseas gross is still only as of the Tuesday. Maybe we'll get some updated figures later as of Friday.