New DB MMO? Is this Legit?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dualist
Regular

New DB MMO? Is this Legit?

Post by dualist » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:28 pm

So I was going through the DragonBall Online Global (A remake of the original DBO) forums and saw someone post information about a new Licensed DB MMO from Bandai Namco and Unity? Looked pretty legit, but I haven't heard anything about it. Could this have anything to do with the new game announcement?

The game is apparantly called Dragon Ball Time and Space Legend.

Here's a link to the site: https://lzo.ztgame.com/. Looks like it's just beta testing in China right now. When translating the site and clicking on Learn More, there are some screenshots and additional details.

Hoping to find out details ASAP because this looks interesting.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

dualist
Regular

Re: New DB MMO? Is this Legit?

Post by dualist » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:14 pm

So after doing a little digging, the game does look to be legit. Only available in China at the moment and you need to be a Chinese resident to play. I added some images below:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Looks to be one of those china-only brand games like that other Dragon Ball Mobile Action RPG. Looking pretty though
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:00 am

An MMO? At this time of year? At this of the day? Localized entirely in China?

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:50 pm

Makaioshin wrote:An MMO? At this time of year? At this of the day? Localized entirely in China?
Yes.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:09 pm

Zephyr wrote:
Makaioshin wrote:An MMO? At this time of year? At this of the day? Localized entirely in China?
Yes.
...may I see it?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:12 pm

Makaioshin wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
Yes.
...may I see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcf93-fJPrA
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:33 pm

Interesting. I may look into trying this out if it's possible.
Makaioshin wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
Yes.
...may I see it?
This got a laugh out of me, thank you.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:02 am

So it's a mobile/desktop MMO-hybrid, how very modern. It's a shame most of those types of games lack any depth and serve as a gacha cash shop, and whilst I think the ship has sailed for MMORPG's nowadays, it's a shame things never worked out with DBO.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon May 20, 2019 9:50 pm

(Sorry for the huge bump. I didn't think it needed its own thread)

The last info was all the way in March. Has it been abandoned or is this another case of MMO developers working in the dark for long periods of time?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 pm

First, a Korean only MMORPG. Now a Chinese only one? A Japanese only game would at least make sense, but why these countries? And do they not want our money? All they have to do is translate it, make it free-to-play (because, let's be honest, they're not going to find enough people willing to pay to play these games), then profit from the e-store.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:13 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 pm First, a Korean only MMORPG. Now a Chinese only one? A Japanese only game would at least make sense, but why these countries? And do they not want our money? All they have to do is translate it, make it free-to-play (because, let's be honest, they're not going to find enough people willing to pay to play these games), then profit from the e-store.
I have no idea why they don't do this. I play the emulator version of DBO, so I would play this without a doubt. When I see the success of games like Dokkan and now Legends (although those games cost much less to make), they would make a killing off these games using microtransactions. Maybe someday, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:35 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 pm First, a Korean only MMORPG. Now a Chinese only one? A Japanese only game would at least make sense, but why these countries?
The Chinese market is enormous. The number of people there dwarfs even combinations of other countries and languages. There are entire multibillion dollar gaming phenomenon zeitgeists that you don't know of because you're not Chinese. There's far more money to be made focusing just on the Chinese market than bothering at all with literally any other market.
ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 pmAnd do they not want our money? All they have to do is translate it, make it free-to-play (because, let's be honest, they're not going to find enough people willing to pay to play these games), then profit from the e-store.
... huh? "Just translate it" is seriously naive. If you could "just translate" an MMO and miraculously profit enough to sustain it with any given business model, we'd see a localization of Dragon Quest X, and Phantasy Star Online 2 wouldn't have taken eight years.

I'm extremely confused by the "just translate it" and "just put all the characters in" and "why don't they just make it this way" kinds of posts. Do y'all think there is infinite time in the day with an infinite number of employees willing to work for infinitely non-existent money?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:49 am

Do we have info on the story ? Vilain ? And where does this MMO takes place ? Also do we have all characters outfit assets ?
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:19 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:35 am... huh? "Just translate it" is seriously naive. If you could "just translate" an MMO and miraculously profit enough to sustain it with any given business model, we'd see a localization of Dragon Quest X, and Phantasy Star Online 2 wouldn't have taken eight years.

I'm extremely confused by the "just translate it" and "just put all the characters in" and "why don't they just make it this way" kinds of posts. Do y'all think there is infinite time in the day with an infinite number of employees willing to work for infinitely non-existent money?
No, I never once implied that translations would be done by unpayed workers with nothing better to do, or that they wouldn't have to spend any money to make the games available in the West. What I did say was that they'd make a profit from a free-to-play business model with in-game transactions. Why do you feel the need to twist my words into something completely ridiculous?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:30 pm

I cited various things with "y'all". I'm addressing various points. Your post was simply the jumping point, but one example in the myriad of "why has no-one considered this very obvious thing that I'm suggesting about video game development?!" posts. Again, see also: "why don't they just put every character in the game?!" and "it would be so obvious that they should include _____ what are they even doing" every time a new fighting game is announced.

That being said, I do think it's bizarre that, by all appearances, you seem to think you're the only person who's given this any thought, and that the companies responsible for these games haven't already run all the numbers and given very careful consideration to what they develop for where with what resources utilizing certain business models.

"Why don't think just do _____?!" is crazy talk, man! It's literally their jobs to think about that, and in all likelihood there are good reasons with solid historical data backing said decisions. See again: the Chinese market has a larger potential audience than literally any other audience. I'm not quite sure how anyone can arrive at any other decision than "Oh yeah, sure, of course, that makes sense" other than selfishly just wanting every product made for them.

You don't know anything significant about this game, about its current business model, about its current audience, about its short- and long-term development plans, and yet you're still just making assumptions about what you consider to be trivial things for them to do.

I'm legitimately flabbergasted by the "why don't they _____?!" video game posts here, there, and everywhere.

(To be clear, I don't have a problem with, "I wonder if this will come out here?" or "Could this be adapted as _____?" or "I really want to play this!" I, as noted, am thoroughly confused by folks that immediately jump to "Well I have it all figured out they just need to do _____". Things like "Just translate it" fall squaaaaaaaaaare in this category. It's probably just some Dunning–Kruger fandom thing, but definitely seems to crop up with video games more than anything else here.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:30 pm I cited various things with "y'all". I'm addressing various points. Your post was simply the jumping point, but one example in the myriad of "why has no-one considered this very obvious thing that I'm suggesting about video game development?!" posts. Again, see also: "why don't they just put every character in the game?!" and "it would be so obvious that they should include _____ what are they even doing" every time a new fighting game is announced.

That being said, I do think it's bizarre that, by all appearances, you seem to think you're the only person who's given this any thought, and that the companies responsible for these games haven't already run all the numbers and given very careful consideration to what they develop for where with what resources utilizing certain business models.

"Why don't think just do _____?!" is crazy talk, man! It's literally their jobs to think about that, and in all likelihood there are good reasons with solid historical data backing said decisions. See again: the Chinese market has a larger potential audience than literally any other audience. I'm not quite sure how anyone can arrive at any other decision than "Oh yeah, sure, of course, that makes sense" other than selfishly just wanting every product made for them.

You don't know anything significant about this game, about its current business model, about its current audience, about its short- and long-term development plans, and yet you're still just making assumptions about what you consider to be trivial things for them to do.

I'm legitimately flabbergasted by the "why don't they _____?!" video game posts here, there, and everywhere.

(To be clear, I don't have a problem with, "I wonder if this will come out here?" or "Could this be adapted as _____?" or "I really want to play this!" I, as noted, am thoroughly confused by folks that immediately jump to "Well I have it all figured out they just need to do _____". Things like "Just translate it" fall squaaaaaaaaaare in this category. It's probably just some Dunning–Kruger fandom thing, but definitely seems to crop up with video games more than anything else here.)
I've probably fallen in the "Why don't they just do _____?!" camp from my overwhelming enjoyment from playing DBO and it being closed down before it ever sniffed the light of day outside of Korea. You really had to jump through hoops to get an account to play before it was released in Taiwan.
I have a much better understanding of marketing and game development now than I did back in 2010 and MMOs cost a ton to make and maintain. But with Dragon Ball, even more now than back then, I think the market is ripe for a game like this. When it's all said and done, us westerners just really want to play these carious DB games that come out.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:48 am

This game makes me so curious I want to know if there are an exclusif plot with an exclusif villain of some sort :o :o :?:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu