Anime adaptation of the Broly movie: is it necessary?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Anime adaptation of the Broly movie: is it necessary?

Post by TheOne » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:59 am

If they could somehow go more depth about the plot/backstory and not sacrifice quality animation, i wouldn’t mind retelling. We all know that they could never do something like that, so I’ll just have to say NO.

They would’ve been better off adding an extra 20 or so minutes to the movie so it didn’t feel so crammed.
How i predict the tournament will end:

zamasuthebest

Post by zamasuthebest » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:48 pm

In my opinion, it's necessary.
We know that the original movie script would have covered 180 minutes of movie as stated in a interview, but we all also know that you can't allow a movie to last 3 hours!
It's a huge risk.
So for this reason Toei's staff suggested to cut some parts of the original script in order to have a reasonable running time.
Broly movie has an actual running time of 100 minutes intead of the 180 minutes corresponding to the original script.
We can clearly feel that film was cutted, an example of it is the fact that Bardack's rebellion is extremely accelerated and without any suspance.

So, coming to numbers:
1 episode = about 20 minutes
Original Script = 180 minutes
Actual Running Time = 100 minutes
Anime adaptation of Broly according to the actual running time = 5 episodes
Anime adaptation of Broly according to the original script = 9 episodes!!

Remember that Bog and FNF anime adaptation took 14 and 12 episodes respectively by adding filler scenes.
And to think that Bog running time was only 85 minutes, an exact adaptation should have take only 4 episodes, more or less!
But it took 14 episodes because Toei added a lot of filler scenes!
The same reasoning could be applied to FNF adaptation.

So, starting with 9 episodes adaptation of the original script if Toei add some filler scenes they can easily reach 15 episodes,
A 15 episodes arc is the perfection!

Another reason why I hope to have an anime adaptation is that I want to have at least one media in which are presents all arcs. I don't want to jump from Anime to Movie in order to have all the pieces of the story, I want all in one!

PS: sorry I'm not a native english speaker, so if I wrote something wrong please forgive me

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:51 pm

I would think that it is a huge waste of time to retell this movie and reanimate it. As interesting as it may be, Bardock’s rebellion has been told before. I don’t really need to see more of it. I think the movie is fine as it is, move on to something else.

The only reason they reanimated BOG and ROF was because of time to kill while they out together something for Super and to introduce the characters.

If they want to show us what didn’t happen in Broly, just show us that part and reference the movie.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:26 pm

The retelling is needed only for the sake of any continuity. As long as the movie add nothing to the regular serie, I suppose there's no need for retellings.
Anyway, that GREATLY depend on what they want to do with Super 2.0 - if they find any freaky way to make the movie a continuity cornerstone they HAD to retell. You can't suppose people watched the movie.
My guess is ... no retelling. No new elements, no development, in the regular serie those events will taste as pure filler.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:35 pm

The retellings of BOG and ROF exist because they were just filler while Toriyama was still writing new story ideas for Super. We don't need another retelling when they can easily do a 5-minute recap of the movie if Super returns.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Why couldn't they reuse the movie's animation for an extended, episodic TV version? Then all of the new scenes would be newly animated and added in, and the episodic cut of the 3 hour story (about 9 or 10 episodes) wouldn't be as draining as sitting down and watching a single movie for that long.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:07 pm

There was some reason they couldn't do it for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, maybe pertaining to who owned the rights to the films or something? It may be something that's still in effect for the Broly film, though I'd rather not find out either way.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:19 pm

I'm incredibly torn...

On the one hand I want those extra details, on the other I know it would be a waste and likely never have the impact the movie does.

I think what I'd really like is a longer cut of the movie for home release.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:35 pm

The real question we should be asking is "Is the anime allowed to use the footage/music/audio etc from the Broly movie from a legal standpoint?" AFAIK none of the music from either the BOG or the Res 'F' movies have been used in the Super anime.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:50 am

Danfun64 wrote:The real question we should be asking is "Is the anime allowed to use the footage/music/audio etc from the Broly movie from a legal standpoint?" AFAIK none of the music from either the BOG or the Res 'F' movies have been used in the Super anime.
I would imagine they didn’t use the animation from the movies because it would obviously clash with that of the anime. The pacing and what not is completely different so you can’t just copy and paste it. Plus they made creative changes.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:56 am

It's not necessary but it is welcome. It's ok for the anime to do their own version that has more detail. It's what they have already been doing for the Revival of F and BoG, so the same pattern is expected. I much prefer the manga version of events and it seems that the movie is more consistent with the manga on that regard. Now, the manga is ahead of the anime as previously anticipated. So it would be ok for the anime to do their version of the Broly arc which gives Toyotaro and Toriyama to write more story for the manga.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:33 am

shadowfox87 wrote:It's not necessary but it is welcome. It's ok for the anime to do their own version that has more detail. It's what they have already been doing for the Revival of F and BoG, so the same pattern is expected. I much prefer the manga version of events and it seems that the movie is more consistent with the manga on that regard. Now, the manga is ahead of the anime as previously anticipated. So it would be ok for the anime to do their version of the Broly arc which gives Toyotaro and Toriyama to write more story for the manga.
The movie really isn't more consistent with the manga's version of the events, and that isn't really relevant.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:26 am

PFM18 wrote:
shadowfox87 wrote:It's not necessary but it is welcome. It's ok for the anime to do their own version that has more detail. It's what they have already been doing for the Revival of F and BoG, so the same pattern is expected. I much prefer the manga version of events and it seems that the movie is more consistent with the manga on that regard. Now, the manga is ahead of the anime as previously anticipated. So it would be ok for the anime to do their version of the Broly arc which gives Toyotaro and Toriyama to write more story for the manga.
The movie really isn't more consistent with the manga's version of the events, and that isn't really relevant.
I'm not trying to get into a manga vs anime debate here. I'm not saying that the movie follows the manga but that it is definitely more consistent with the manga than the anime given what's shown. If you can name one thing in the movie that definitely contradicts with the manga, I'd be happy to oblige. On the other hand, the inconsistencies with the anime should be obvious. It's relevant if the manga is to stay ahead of the anime. The anime can still do their own version of the Broly arc though.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:43 pm

Well, the manga has it's own exclusive forms that aren't in the movie, like "mastered" blue or it's somehow-even-lamer version of Evolution.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:13 pm

Yes and No.

I wasn't against retelling of BoG and RoF. I was against wasting the first 26 episodes of Super retelling those movies. They should have retold each movie in 3 episodes or less.

So: Yes if the Broly Movie was retold in 3 episodes or less. No if we have to endure 13 episodes before the next story.

cantwaitanymore
Not-So-Newbie

Post by cantwaitanymore » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:57 am

PFM18 wrote:
Except manga fully adopted the movie and entirely skipped the Broly saga, and it was shown in the manga that PSSB Goku and Vegeta are fighting SSJ Broly.
There are no differences.

Also, whats up with manga vs anime? Why are people now taking anime more than manga? When they have vast differences one has to be over the other and that has always been the manga, we even know Toriyama changes stuff in the manga that he feels need to be changed. There cant be 2 ``canon`` versions of the same characters and events. And thats all without even mentioning all of the incosistencies within anime itself.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:19 am

cantwaitanymore wrote:Except manga fully adopted the movie and entirely skipped the Broly saga, and it was shown in the manga that PSSB Goku and Vegeta are fighting SSJ Broly.
That doesn't matter at all. They did the same with the RoF movie but the movie doesn't fit with the manga's continuity either. They showed ONE panel in the manga that doesn't show much.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:22 am

cantwaitanymore wrote:
Also, whats up with manga vs anime? Why are people now taking anime more than manga? When they have vast differences one has to be over the other and that has always been the manga, we even know Toriyama changes stuff in the manga that he feels need to be changed. There cant be 2 ``canon`` versions of the same characters and events. And thats all without even mentioning all of the incosistencies within anime itself.
You are new I guess , welcome . Most of this fandom rather the anime and looks for any excuse to blame the manga .
Some want or wish Toei to control the series . That’s it .
I agree with you , manga has less inconsistencies and seems more controlled and supervised by toriyama.
In regards of the object of the thread... is not necessary but it’s wellcome if will contain good extra material ( non fighting stuff ) . For the fight we got the movie .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

cantwaitanymore
Not-So-Newbie

Post by cantwaitanymore » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 am

PFM18 wrote:
cantwaitanymore wrote:Except manga fully adopted the movie and entirely skipped the Broly saga, and it was shown in the manga that PSSB Goku and Vegeta are fighting SSJ Broly.
That doesn't matter at all. They did the same with the RoF movie but the movie doesn't fit with the manga's continuity either. They showed ONE panel in the manga that doesn't show much.
What part doesnt fit the manga? The only thing is that they used Perfected Blue in the manga. So that is literally the only ``difference``.
The new saga is well under way, and Goku mentioned their encounter. So i dont see any reason why it isnt in manga continuity when manga ADOPTED if fully.

What I'm saying is that manga continuity is the same now as the movie continuity as everything that transpired within the movie happens in the manga as well.
Last edited by cantwaitanymore on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

cantwaitanymore
Not-So-Newbie

Post by cantwaitanymore » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:51 am

prince212 wrote:
cantwaitanymore wrote:
You are new I guess , welcome . Most of this fandom rather the anime and looks for any excuse to blame the manga .
Some want or wish Toei to control the series . That’s it .
I agree with you , manga has less inconsistencies and seems more controlled and supervised by toriyama.
In regards of the object of the thread... is not necessary but it’s wellcome if will contain good extra material ( non fighting stuff ) . For the fight we got the movie .
Thanks for the welcome.
If we dont follow a canon continuity then there is literally no way for proper debates. So many forms, power ups, fights and non canon filler are in outright conflict. What i really dont understand is how the community switched up so much, everyone knew that DBZ manga was canon and we debate using facts from there. Now it seems like a whole different story.
Guess the popularity of the anime ruined the whole thing...

I'm really curious, if they adapt this within the anime and there are huge differences, how are the fans going to percieve it...
And i dont have anything against anime, its just that a lot of the stuff that happens there is obviously for ``the show``