Characters you wish were completely removed from Super/sequels

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Characters you wish were completely removed from Super/sequels

Post by coola » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:18 am

For now, i have two characters i wish Toei/Toriyama wouldpull away from show:

Chi-Chi: Soccer mom trope never was funny for me in sitcoms, it isnt funny anywhere else, its just annoying, and everytime she appears, i wish Goku would just blast her away :)

Tenshinhan: Toei/Toriyama clearly have no idea what to do with him, he became joke in Super, surpassed even by Roshi, he retired in Cell Saga, and it should stay that way. Eventually have cameo like in Buu Saga, but dont put him into frontlines.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Characters you wish were completely removed from Super/sequels

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:36 am

Zeno. He is the worst deus ex machina ever. He can literally erase any villain and has no weakness. And since he is Goku's best friend, he will always side with him. What's the point of having powerful villains like Zamasu, who have the potential to be MULTIVERSAL threats, if they can just be erased in one second by this walking plot device?

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:19 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:Zeno. He is the worst deus ex machina ever. He can literally erase any villain and has no weakness. And since he is Goku's best friend, he will always side with him. What's the point of having powerful villains like Zamasu, who have the potential to be MULTIVERSAL threats, if they can just be erased in one second by this walking plot device?
Walking plot device... yes in a sense but not so much. He's been clearly established as a double edged sword since the end of the Future Trunks Saga. Counting on him for erasing the main villain, or just interacting with him is a too risky move.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:43 am

Kepiaschkz wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Zeno. He is the worst deus ex machina ever. He can literally erase any villain and has no weakness. And since he is Goku's best friend, he will always side with him. What's the point of having powerful villains like Zamasu, who have the potential to be MULTIVERSAL threats, if they can just be erased in one second by this walking plot device?
Walking plot device... yes in a sense but not so much. He's been clearly established as a double edged sword since the end of the Future Trunks Saga. Counting on him for erasing the main villain, or just interacting with him is a too risky move.
Zeno erased the Future multiverse because it was ruined beyond repair due to Zamasu's reign of terror lasting for a long time as no one could oppose him. Such a scenario would not happen in the Present timeline because any future villain would have to face Goku and co. before being able to devastate the world. Furthermore, Present Zeno is Goku's best friend, I'm sure he would be able to convince him to spare the universe if it came to that.

When the next big bad appears, Goku can literally just use the Zeno Button and ask Zeno to erase the new threat. The fact that the protagonists have a literal deus ex machina at their disposal 24/7 means that there is 0 tension.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:46 am

Kale. A character created and shoehorned into Super with the sole purpose of capitalizing on Toei's Broly.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:Kale. A character created and shoehorned into Super with the sole purpose of capitalizing on Toei's Broly.
Same could be said about Frost, he was literally another Freeza, introduced right after F movie arc. Then again, it was pretty satisfying seeing Freeza ring out him :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:32 pm

Kale and Caulifa, two terribly written characters.
Tenshinhan: Toei/Toriyama clearly have no idea what to do with him, he became joke in Super, surpassed even by Roshi, he retired in Cell Saga, and it should stay that way. Eventually have cameo like in Buu Saga, but dont put him into frontlines.
Really, none of the human characters should be in the front lines.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Zen'ô, but only one of the two we see. I love the character but he's supposed to be the Omni-King, a.k.a. the god of everything, which should include "time" if you ask me. I would have preferred if there was only one of him.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:58 pm

coola wrote:Same could be said about Frost, he was literally another Freeza, introduced right after F movie arc.
No, I don't see how the same can be said about Frost. The whole point about Frost was that he was misleading everyone, including his own universe. He wasn't created to replace Freeza or to capitalize on him. Freeza already exists as a character in the series. They played with the character and audience's perception of Freeza.

Not comparable at all with Kale. Kale exists simply to capitalize on Toei's Broly. That's why the character was created, that's why it was shoehorned into the series. It was a way to pander fans and they never tried to hide it. It felt forced and the character itself came off as hollow.

The only good thing that came out of it was Toriyama's creation of Caulifla.

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:16 pm

coola wrote:For now, i have two characters i wish Toei/Toriyama wouldpull away from show:

Chi-Chi: Soccer mom trope never was funny for me in sitcoms, it isnt funny anywhere else, its just annoying, and everytime she appears, i wish Goku would just blast her away :)

he did not became a joke. he was in the manga. in the anime he disqualified 2 fighters. in ROF he beat up hundreds of frieza soldier

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Gogeta and Vegetto. Fusion is a pall over good storytelling.

I'd say Kafla too if I considered seeing Caulifla and Kale again likely.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:14 pm

1. The Human fighters (except Uub if he appears). Its pretty clear by now that they aren't gonna get any real relevance of development ever again. Tien in particular was ruined in Super.

2. Chi-Chi. Toriyama hates her, Goku doesn't love her and she doesn't really contribute to the series in any way at this point.

3. The Pilaf Gang. They're useless and unfunny. Future Mai is cool but the rest are a waste of space.

The rest of the cast either need to be written better when Super returns or stay as they are.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:15 pm

Simere wrote:Gogeta and Vegetto. Fusion is a pall over good storytelling.

I'd say Kafla too if I considered seeing Caulifla and Kale again likely.
Vegito was one of the highlights of the Black arc and Gogeta was one for the Broly film. Kefla is a more likable character than both Caulifla and Kale.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:49 pm

Kale
Caulifa
Frost
Cabba
Zeno
Jiren

All these characters are more or less useless and terribly written.

Also, any of the ToP fodder and I would have said Jaco had Toyo not started to weave galactic patrol into the lore.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:56 pm

Satan, Videl, Pan, Majin Boo, Oob, Gotenks, Kid Trunks, Goten, Gotenks, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, C-18

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:03 pm

Goku. Time for the old geezer to finally retire.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:41 pm

Pilaf gang - in the way they are portrayed since BoG, they are annoying and except for Mai in Black saga, they are 100% irrelevant
Monaka - him being the strongest guy ever in Goku's eyes is not funny since his 'fight' with Hit and he has no other reason to exist in series
Broly - What takes place in movies should stay in movies, that's what i think. Otherwise we might get another pointless retelling like BoG and RoF.
Female Broly aka Kale - no explanation needed...
Jiren - he is so boring and generic there isn't anything interesting about him, i would rather see Toppo or Ribrianne, they are at least funny
Yamcha - if they keep him only to laugh at him and can't do anything interesting with him then it's better to completely remove this character. It's enough that community makes jokes about him that aren't funny in the first place
Zamasu - just in case anyone would have idea stupid enough to bring this awful character back lol
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Zeno. But not have him just completed gone as if he never existed or not show/mention him again. I want and in-universe event to happen that gets rid of the Zenos. Maybe Zalama takes the place of King of All and he believes in “hands off governing” which ensures that no matter what happens, he wont interfere and will let everything run its course.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:14 pm

Kale, Caulifla, Jiren, Zeno, and new!Broly.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:39 pm

I would probably go with Monaka. He didn't really serve much of a purpose considering Goku hardly really needs any extra motivation and his power being a joke should have never been a mystery. It should be obvious to everyone. Or at least, that aspect of the character's inclusion should be removed but they can keep the gags about him passing out standing up and being a galactic delivery man.