Should Vegeta ever transition into saying Goku instead of Kakarot?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Re: Should Vegeta ever transition into saying Goku instead of Kakarot?

Post by ZodaEX » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:09 am

saiyanhajime wrote:I personally think it's too far of a deviation from what people like about his character at that point. But, I can see him "slipping up" and accidentally calling him Goku and that in itself reflecting his progression without him actually letting go. It's a bit like how you always want a character to basically look the same, or wear the same outfit as a whole. You don't want them to change too much.
Err, speak for yourself please. I DO want Vegeta to in fact change. He's evil as F and I hate that son of a B for that.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:18 am

ZodaEX wrote:
saiyanhajime wrote:I personally think it's too far of a deviation from what people like about his character at that point. But, I can see him "slipping up" and accidentally calling him Goku and that in itself reflecting his progression without him actually letting go. It's a bit like how you always want a character to basically look the same, or wear the same outfit as a whole. You don't want them to change too much.
Err, speak for yourself please. I DO want Vegeta to in fact change. He's evil as F and I hate that son of a B for that.
And just yesterday I was commenting on how this fandom doesn't keep needing to assert "in YOUR opinion!"

Ah well! :)

Yes, when I say a thing, it usually means I'm speaking for myself and not you. Next time try "I completely disagree actually! Because blah blah" or something. :)

I like awful people in fiction. Or people with awful traits. I think of them as exaggerations of real-world imperfections in everyone's personality that make characters identifiable. Some characters represent who we want to be, others represent who we all are... In exaggerated forms. I think that's part of why DB is so popular in general - even Goku is really, really flawed and the series is full of characters who are selfish af.

Oh almost forgot... IMO. Need to specify that. In my opinion. Not yours. Mine. Need to make sure that's clear since apparently it coming out of my brain and not yours isn't enough to make that clear.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:59 pm

saiyanhajime wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
And just yesterday I was commenting on how this fandom doesn't keep needing to assert "in YOUR opinion!"

Yes, when I say a thing, it usually means I'm speaking for myself and not you. Next time try "I completely disagree actually! Because blah blah" or something. :)

I like awful people in fiction. Or people with awful traits. I think of them as exaggerations of real-world imperfections in everyone's personality that make characters identifiable. Some characters represent who we want to be, others represent who we all are... In exaggerated forms. I think that's part of why DB is so popular in general - even Goku is really, really flawed and the series is full of characters who are selfish af.

Oh almost forgot... IMO. Need to specify that. In my opinion. Not yours. Mine. Need to make sure that's clear since apparently it coming out of my brain and not yours isn't enough to make that clear.
You said that I don't want Vegeta's outfit to change. That's different from saying Vegeta's outfit shouldn't change. The first is a false statement (lie) while the second is an opinion.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:33 pm

Absolutely not. Goku doesn't resent being called Kakarot.. if anything, as Vegetas character develops, i'd say it's said with respect.

Even at the end of the Broly movie, Goku says to Broly;

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:02 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
saiyanhajime wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:

You said that I don't want Vegeta's outfit to change. That's different from saying Vegeta's outfit shouldn't change. The first is a false statement (lie) while the second is an opinion.
I wasn’t quoting or replying to you, so you had no reason to think that “you” meant you specifically... In context, “you” meant people in general. And I never specified Vegeta’s outfit shouldn’t change - it was an example as to how characters should (in general) remain In some way consistent and recognisable, even through growth, aging or change. Stop thinking in absolutes and assuming everything written is directed at you. If people had to point out every time something was only their opinion, or that they mean generally, etc. etc. language would be so boring and stale. Chill ouuuut.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:04 pm

The latest movie had him say to Broly "Call me Kakarot". So yeah no chance of that happening.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:38 pm

No, I think over time Goku has embraced his heritage and would prefer for his people to call him Kakarot.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink: