Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by bleed0range » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:50 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
bleed0range wrote:I’ve seen the movie twice but I might go one more time just to help out the box office because I feel the movie deserves the support. I want more movies... hopefully with all original characters next time, in this animation style.

I have to say, it’s a bit crazy to see the movie debut at #1 and make more than twice as much as Resurrection F domestically. For a long time I felt I was in a small little niche fandom but Dragon Ball is now a mainstream widespread thing in America. I’ve aleays know it was a huge thing worldwide, but it’s weird seeing it get so much attention finally after 20+ years of my fandom.
DBZ was pretty mainstream in the U.S. back in the late 90s and early 2000s.
But one could argue it's even bigger now than it was before, with things like this films success and the whole parade thing etc.
Yeah it was big back then, but now it’s a household name when then it wasn’t. It wasn’t going to make this kind of money at the box office in even 2002. It sort of made America pay attention to anime, but now it’s something else.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:11 pm

Box Office Top 3 for Thursday, January 24, 2019

1. Glass - $2.08M
2. TheUpside - $1.20M
3. DragonBallSuperBroly - $735K

Seeing does numbers DBS Broly will do good at the weekend

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:21 pm

Well I can't speak for the entirety of the US but I can see there's still a bunch of Regal and AMC theatres that are going to be showing the movie up till January 30th/31st. Could still be longer because that's as far as it goes.

It ain't done yet then which means that $30 million or so when it's all said and done is probably likely.

It making $100 million worldwide isn't a question of "if" it can do it anymore. It obviously will, maybe even this weekend.

So it's a really a question of just how much more could it actually end up doing? I'd say $110 million worldwide seems a safe what with all the countries left to go but whether it can make $120 million is probably the figure that's now up in the air.

Edit: Here's the Pre-Weekend Japanese Estimate as well

#9 - ¥42,000,000 ($380,000), -40%, ¥3,825,000,000 ($34.6 million), Dragon Ball Super: Broly

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:18 pm

PFM18 wrote:Well I can't speak for the entirety of the US but I can see there's still a bunch of Regal and AMC theatres that are going to be showing the movie up till January 30th/31st. Could still be longer because that's as far as it goes.

It ain't done yet then which means that $30 million or so when it's all said and done is probably likely.

It making $100 million worldwide isn't a question of "if" it can do it anymore. It obviously will, maybe even this weekend.

So it's a really a question of just how much more could it actually end up doing? I'd say $110 million worldwide seems a safe what with all the countries left to go but whether it can make $120 million is probably the figure that's now up in the air.

Edit: Here's the Pre-Weekend Japanese Estimate as well

#9 - ¥42,000,000 ($380,000), -40%, ¥3,825,000,000 ($34.6 million), Dragon Ball Super: Broly
Just how long will the movie last running in Japan theater?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:02 am

Fearless wrote:Just how long will the movie last running in Japan theater?
Still a while. Resurrection F got up to 65 days before the estimates stopped, it probably still kept running in some places afterward though.

Broly has only been out for 44 days so it's got a few weeks to a couple months left in it. This will be the last weekend that it'll be in the Top 10 probably, so I don't know what the frequency of the reports if any even will be like after this.

And just for the sake of giving you some more information, Broly will be in 204 theatres in Spain. According to Box Office Mojo, Resurrection F was shown in about 90 theatres there and it'll be in 147 theatres in France too.

Resurrection F didn't get a proper release in France from what I recall so I don't know if it's not popular there or what.

Real Goku

Post by Real Goku » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:51 am

Hello PFM18, i live in France and i can tell you than the problème is not the popularity of DB. Back in 80/90 the rating was between in 30 and 40% and today you still had this type of thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Sde7ngCQc that show how much it's popular here .
The problème is différent it's never easy in France for some reason :eh:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:41 am

According to Deadlines Weekend Estimates...

Broly made $817,000 on Friday and expect a Weekend of $3.4 million which would bring it's total to $28.6 million in the US.

That'd be alright, as long as it stays around that mark I'm sure it could get to $30 million.

In Japan, this Saturday did about 67.6% of last Saturday so that could be about ¥17 million.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:15 pm

PFM18 wrote:According to Deadlines Weekend Estimates...

Broly made $817,000 on Friday and expect a Weekend of $3.4 million which would bring it's total to $28.6 million in the US.

That'd be alright, as long as it stays around that mark I'm sure it could get to $30 million.

In Japan, this Saturday did about 67.6% of last Saturday so that could be about ¥17 million.

according to boxofficemojo $890.000

so with more than 100 screenings less that's sad maybe it would have made 1/1,5 million

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:15 pm

Lujin_16 wrote:according to boxofficemojo $890.000
Yeah I just saw that.

Well what happened last week was Deadline gave Friday as $2.1 million and then later on other sites reported it at $2.39 million. Same thing again here where Deadline reported it at $817,000 but now Mojo and Twitter Box Office are saying $890,000 which is going to be the more accurate figure.

So if it's anything like last week, Deadline will update their estimates again later, see if they've increased it at all from $3.4 million. At best it can probably just get to $29 million by Sunday.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:58 pm

So has it reached 100 million yet?
Feels over Reals.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:56 pm

RedHeat wrote:So has it reached 100 million yet?
By Saturday? Not that we know of. No figures have actually come out for any of the new markets just yet so it's hard to say.

It potentially could have, it's not impossible but we'll know this time tomorrow where it's standing is Worldwide. I'm not even 100% certain if it'll be at $100 million by Sunday but there's a pretty good chance that it will be.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm so curious about how the film is performing here in Australia. 'F' made a little over 1 million here during its 2 week run. From what I recall, that film was shown in around 90 theatres across the country. Broly's being shown in over 160 theatres, some of which are IMAX and 4DX screenings. Hoyts and Village Cinemas are giving the film Xtremescreen and VMax screenings respectively at some of their theatres. It's almost being treated as a regular theatrical release here in Australia compared to the run it's having in the US. Most of the theatre chains have multiple sessions in a day. Nothing about this feels limited. Madman never even mentioned that the film was going to have a limited run, so I guess it makes sense.

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:57 am

PFM18 wrote:
Fearless wrote:Just how long will the movie last running in Japan theater?
Still a while. Resurrection F got up to 65 days before the estimates stopped, it probably still kept running in some places afterward though.

Broly has only been out for 44 days so it's got a few weeks to a couple months left in it. This will be the last weekend that it'll be in the Top 10 probably, so I don't know what the frequency of the reports if any even will be like after this.

And just for the sake of giving you some more information, Broly will be in 204 theatres in Spain. According to Box Office Mojo, Resurrection F was shown in about 90 theatres there and it'll be in 147 theatres in France too.

Resurrection F didn't get a proper release in France from what I recall so I don't know if it's not popular there or what.
So does the movie a shot on reaching ¥4 billion by the end of its run?

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:11 am

Also love to know how it's doing here in the UK... I booked it for the first night and my small screen was packed. Then a saw a local Vue had added another, later showing the following day in their 400 seater so I jumped on it. That wasn't packed, but it was added literally the night before and it was still busy. Now they've added a showing basically every day for the next week it looks like. So clearly people are going and it's making money, else they wouldn't bother! A friend of mine tried to go Friday and it had sold out.

What I want to know is whether casuals are going or is this just how massive the fandom is??? I'm just so curious.

Goes to show that if you make something accessible, people will watch it! I hope they've bloody learnt something, finally. Probably not.

EDIT:
RedHeat wrote:So has it reached 100 million yet?
Oh!

https://twitter.com/photo__sho/status/1 ... 8911373313

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?i ... zbroly.htm

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:49 am

The Weekend Estimates are rolling out right now so we'll have to wait for Brolys turn anytime soon. Then the Worldwide Estimates will be around the same time, I'm hoping for $100 million, I don't think it's guaranteed to do it but I think there is a good chance.

We'll also see how it's done in Australia and UK as well so that'll be interesting to see.
Fearless wrote:So does the movie a shot on reaching ¥4 billion by the end of its run?
Yeah it does have a chance but it's still a smallish one. On its seventh weekend it looks like Broly has done ¥43 million to put it around ¥3.825 billion.

That's about the same as what Resurrection F made on its seventh weekend and from there it went on to make another ¥150 million. Broly would need another ¥175 million or so.

So it's possible but I don't think we'll know if it actually did for a while.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:05 pm

Well the domestic Weekend Estimates are out anyway.

January 25-27

#10 - $3,600,000 -63.3%

Total - $28,958,823

So about $200,000 better than Deadlines estimate yesterday. As long as that holds then yeah it's going to be making $30 million in US which is crazy. It's not even that bad of a drop for what it is.

That alone brings its Worldwide figure up to $95.55 million with its International gross being as of Tuesday.

Meaning that between the rest of the world including the new openings it needs to have made about $4.45 million if it's to reach $100 million worldwide.

Edit: It also means it's the third highest grossing anime movie in US adjusted for inflation now as well.
Last edited by PFM18 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:09 pm

I heard Broly's doing great in Holland and that it's currently #1 movie outselling Bohemain Rhapsody.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Worldwide: $98,803,93 according to Box Office Mojo that's crazy another 1,2 mio and we are at 100 Mio what a success Respect

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:14 pm

Yeah $98.8 million worldwide....

No I find that disappointing actually, I even had to double check to see if it was meant to be as of this weekend. Box Office Mojo had it at $66.6 million overseas on Tuesday and now by Sunday they've got it at $69.85 million?

So in 5 days and it also opening in UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, United Arab Emirates and like 10 other small countries....it only made $2.25 million?

That doesn't seem right at all to me, $0.5 million of that alone should probably be from Japan. That would leave about $1.75 million between every other country. Resurrection F opened to almost $1 million between UK, Australia and New Zealand itself and you'd expect this would have done a lot more.

I have no idea where this went wrong. Have they underestimated it this weekend? Did they overestimate it last weekend?

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Well, in the "Foreign" guide, we can't see any of these countries.