Characters you wish were completely removed from Super/sequels

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Characters you wish were completely removed from Super/sequels

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:55 am

coola wrote: Chi-Chi: Soccer mom trope never was funny for me in sitcoms, it isnt funny anywhere else, its just annoying, and everytime she appears, i wish Goku would just blast her away :)
I do not hate chichi but her function is finished was long ago if toriyama could not stand her anymore .. so why she as a wife of goku for so long? if neither her marriage goes anywhere

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:30 am

Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Goten, kid Trunks.

Wouldn't mind if Gohan was retired too.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:18 am

I'm not going to pick any minor characters like Goten, Chi Chi or any of the Tournament of Power nobodies because what would be the point? They don't add much, but their presence doesn't hurt the story either. The one minor character I want removed is Gotenks because he's the worst, and I already got my wish.

So I'd pick Beerus and Vegeta. Of all the main characters, they're stuck in the biggest rut. Every arc, Vegeta is training to surpass Goku even though he won't, and Goku is training to surpass Beerus, which he also won't. Everything is running in circles. Also not helping is the overuse of food gags for Beerus, and both of them being tsunderes. Put them on the bench, trade out for some new second leads, change up the dynamics. You can keep Whis and Bulma though, they're fun.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:01 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Kepiaschkz wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Zeno. He is the worst deus ex machina ever. He can literally erase any villain and has no weakness. And since he is Goku's best friend, he will always side with him. What's the point of having powerful villains like Zamasu, who have the potential to be MULTIVERSAL threats, if they can just be erased in one second by this walking plot device?
Walking plot device... yes in a sense but not so much. He's been clearly established as a double edged sword since the end of the Future Trunks Saga. Counting on him for erasing the main villain, or just interacting with him is a too risky move.
Zeno erased the Future multiverse because it was ruined beyond repair due to Zamasu's reign of terror lasting for a long time as no one could oppose him. Such a scenario would not happen in the Present timeline because any future villain would have to face Goku and co. before being able to devastate the world. Furthermore, Present Zeno is Goku's best friend, I'm sure he would be able to convince him to spare the universe if it came to that.

When the next big bad appears, Goku can literally just use the Zeno Button and ask Zeno to erase the new threat. The fact that the protagonists have a literal deus ex machina at their disposal 24/7 means that there is 0 tension.
Which is why Goku would never use it if he could fight it, also you are using deux machina wrong because that button was foreshadowed.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:14 am

Which is why Goku would never use it if he could fight it
So? As soon as things get bad, he can just use it, therefore there is no tension whatsoever. Granted, there is no tension anyway because everyone is going to be alright in the End of Z.
also you are using deux machina wrong because that button was foreshadowed.
It doesn't matter if it was foreshadowed because God literally came down to help the good guys when they were in trouble.

Even if that was foreshadowed it doesn't mean that it wasn't unexpected, since the last time the King of All was even mentioned was 10 episode earlier, and after everything that Goku went through, it was a miracle that the button even stayed in his pocket. The characters were surprised, even Goku was when he found the Zeno Button instead of a Senzu Bean (as if that was going to help him defeat an astral 4th dimensional being).

Let's be real, that was a cheap way to defeat Zamasu. It would have been better if they had just ended it at Trunks using the sword of love and friendship to destroy Zamasu's physical form.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:19 pm

-Gohan.
-Goten.
-Trunks.
-Gotenks.
-Tenshinhan.
-Both Zenos.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:52 pm

The Human fighters.

Piccolo as well. They clearly have no idea what to with him. They should have him have one last hoorah before leaving Earth for New Namek and disappearing there.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:00 pm

Kale. We already have Broly. Can we just pretend she was never a thing?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

FrioPolar

Post by FrioPolar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:28 pm

All the fighters of Universes 2, 4 and 10.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Freeza.
He is the epitome of Toriyama's pandering to the peak of Z, always getting mentioned in arcs since then and now making a proper comeback in modern Dragon Ball.
I'd rather Beerus or Zeno erase him from existence once and for all.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:53 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I'm not going to pick any minor characters like Goten, Chi Chi or any of the Tournament of Power nobodies because what would be the point? They don't add much, but their presence doesn't hurt the story either. The one minor character I want removed is Gotenks because he's the worst, and I already got my wish.

So I'd pick Beerus and Vegeta. Of all the main characters, they're stuck in the biggest rut. Every arc, Vegeta is training to surpass Goku even though he won't, and Goku is training to surpass Beerus, which he also won't. Everything is running in circles. Also not helping is the overuse of food gags for Beerus, and both of them being tsunderes. Put them on the bench, trade out for some new second leads, change up the dynamics. You can keep Whis and Bulma though, they're fun.
By that logic, Goku himself should also be put out of the series since he has been stale as a character after the Cell Games.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:56 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:Kale
Caulifa
Frost
Cabba
Zeno
Jiren

All these characters are more or less useless and terribly written.

Also, any of the ToP fodder and I would have said Jaco had Toyo not started to weave galactic patrol into the lore.
Powerscaling issues aside, the U6 saiyans are actually decent characters and the last few episodes of Super saved Jiren's character. The rest can go.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:42 am

Goku and Vegeta.

The main issue with the series is that the power jumps are so ridiculous and no one can keep up because these two leave everyone else in the dust thanks in part to the plot's obsession to up the ante with bigger and bigger power level numbers.

After having 12 universes fight in a tournament with their strongest fighters right off the bat, with nearly every single universe's strongest character being a joke compared to Goku and Vegeta, there's not really any excitement to be had in any of them now even Jiren was surpassed. If this series kept the competition keeping up with the two leads then we'd still have interesting combat stories to tell with the other universes, but due to Toriyama's writing style of everyone being amazed by how strong the leads have become that's never going to happen.

Due to the nature of Goku in particular, the only thing any future plot is going to revolve around is surpassing a stronger enemy and with literally everyone already surpassed bar the gods and angels. Personally the idea of seeing Goku surpass Beerus doesn't excite me at this point because it just feels like a foregone conclusion we're waiting for. The conclusion of which is going to feel hollow in the end like a little check box is being ticked.

Also for gods sake don't bring back Trunks after the Zamasu arc again.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:42 am

Monaka is literally useless. The gag wasn't funny and continues to not be funny. If I could retcon one character in the entire franchise out of existence, it'd be Monaka. I also don't care for Zeno all that much. I don't think he adds much to the series and as time goes on he appears to be less and less omnipotent.

As far as characters that disappoint me, I want them to retire all the early DB era martial artists. Toriyama-san clearly has nothing for them other than brief fanservice and humiliations. Unless he really dives into these characters, which should be easy considering how mysterious Tien, Yamcha, Chaozu, and Roshi still are I'd rather they stay far away. Same goes for Piccolo, Trunks, & Goten. If they don't have any importance to the plot or anything going on in the background, just leave them alone already.

Basically this goes to anyone who's not power level relevant outside of Bulma & Jaco. Toriyama-san seems to have contempt for these characters or at the very least no interest in writing them.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:06 am

Unless we are actually going to see them do something viable, perhaps train or, at this point the very least age, Goten and Trunks can go. Their handling so far in the series has been disappointing. They could at least look somewhat older than they were in Z, then eventually get to their EoZ designs.

I also think the Pilaf Gang needs to go. I get they've become servants basically, but I feel they've become beyond shoehorned in. Even so much as having a static frame of them in the Broly movie near the beginning. Wouldn't mind those characters disappearing

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:23 pm

dbgtFO wrote:Freeza.
He is the epitome of Toriyama's pandering to the peak of Z, always getting mentioned in arcs since then and now making a proper comeback in modern Dragon Ball.
Nope they won't be survives in the broly movie and broly will be a recurring chracter too so nope your wish will never be granted.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 pm

I would rather they:

A) Not write Yamcha, Kuririn and the others out and have them recieve at least some mooks to kill (god forbid)

or

B) Go to a new generation with Uub, Pan, Bra, etc (god also forbid)

But that is impossible...writing out irrelevant characters does seem as an only option for them....we have DB, Z, Super and GT as well as some fanmanga (ELSEWHERE, Multiverse, etc) to enjoy these characters in.
Earth (Sans Bulma), Trunks, Goten, Gohan and Piccolo are not as marketable outside "funny MemeZ" as I would love them to be.

and I have to deal with that.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:08 pm

Monaka didn’t have too many screen time , I don’t know why all the blame on him . To me he was one of the most remarkable things in u6 vs u7 arc ...
I don’t wish any character to be removed , may be just don’t give Krillin too much stupid screen time , Zenos anime reaction was bad to me too .. but .. it’s for the kids at Sunday morning I guess
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:45 pm

ruler9871 wrote:
Simere wrote:Gogeta and Vegetto. Fusion is a pall over good storytelling.

I'd say Kafla too if I considered seeing Caulifla and Kale again likely.
Vegito was one of the highlights of the Black arc and Gogeta was one for the Broly film. Kefla is a more likable character than both Caulifla and Kale.
Could you explain why you feel this way? I saw them as being the same person. Kale's completely drowned out but Caulifla's dominant personality. I'm not a big fan of the U6 Saiyans but if I had to choose between Caulifla and Kale, and just Kelfa, i'd take the pair that already have an established relationship.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:23 am

Toxin45 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Freeza.
Nope they won't be survives in the broly movie and broly will be a recurring chracter too so nope your wish will never be granted.
No shit Sherlock.