Dragon Ball and its priority in your life

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Dragon Ball and its priority in your life

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:27 pm

Does Dragon Ball take priority over real life stuff for you? Like, getting a driver's license, having a girlfriend, working, or studying? What would you say to someone who is going through that?

Hope my question is clear...? :?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does Dragon Ball takes priority

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:52 pm

Try to balance it. The internet and Dragon Ball will always be here, but you only get one go through life. There are opportunities available to you now in high school that are just gone after you complete undergrad in college and graduate. Stuff like clubs, an easier time finding friends in your own age group, an easier time finding a significant other, chances to study abroad, living in a dorm room, volunteer programs and part time jobs on campus that may help you secure a job after graduation.

Now that the Brolli movie is over and Super's return date still hasn't been officially revealed makes for a good down time, imo, unless you're following the video games and manga. It's why I haven't been posting much lately. I'm mostly here for Super and the movies.

But yeah, you can definitely enjoy both. Smart phones make getting updates on Dragon Ball fairly easy. You should try to find the right balance for you.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:15 am

Chuquita wrote:Try to balance it. The internet and Dragon Ball will always be here, but you only get one go through life. There are opportunities available to you now in high school that are just gone after you complete undergrad in college and graduate. Stuff like clubs, an easier time finding friends in your own age group, an easier time finding a significant other, chances to study abroad, living in a dorm room, volunteer programs and part time jobs on campus that may help you secure a job after graduation.

Now that the Brolli movie is over and Super's return date still hasn't been officially revealed makes for a good down time, imo, unless you're following the video games and manga. It's why I haven't been posting much lately. I'm mostly here for Super and the movies.

But yeah, you can definitely enjoy both. Smart phones make getting updates on Dragon Ball fairly easy. You should try to find the right balance for you.
Problem is, l am 24, so I am not in high school anymore.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:12 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Try to balance it. The internet and Dragon Ball will always be here, but you only get one go through life. There are opportunities available to you now in high school that are just gone after you complete undergrad in college and graduate. Stuff like clubs, an easier time finding friends in your own age group, an easier time finding a significant other, chances to study abroad, living in a dorm room, volunteer programs and part time jobs on campus that may help you secure a job after graduation.

Problem is, l am 24, so I am not in high school anymore.
I saw driver's license and studying and made the assumption you were 15, please forgive me.

It's never too late though to try something new. It's more difficult, but not impossible. You could look up local driving schools or have a family member or friend help you practice. I have a cousin who took his driver's test in his early 20's and passed. Depending where you live your local dmv or equivalent should have free booklets for new drivers.

For working and studying...setting time aside to look at your phone is easier said than done because with studying I've been really guilty of breaking to check my phone. With work I prioritize better. Depending on what the topic is maybe taking short breaks to check your phone over the course of the day instead of a single longer break so it doesn't feel as stressful?

With finding a significant other...your phone could help with that; there's all kinds of apps. It's an entire industry. Or if not that, getting involved in something in your local community that you have an interest in might help you meet someone. Also sometimes these things happen seemingly at random, so.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:45 am

No, I love Dragon Ball but being an adult is being an adult.

Definitely look up driving schools in your area, or save to buy a car and ask someone close to help you practice, for studying is there any courses around you where you could learn a new skill? Maybe look into that. Girlfriends? You just have to get out there, go to clubs, go out with friends, best to enjoy life and it will happen when you least expect it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:41 am

No, it doesn't. I like Dragon Ball but it's just a hobby and that's it for me.

You've got to have your priorities settled.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:03 am

No, why would it?

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:30 am

Doctor. wrote:No, why would it?
Because people here seem to be addicted to Dragon Ball.

I wouldn't have the patience to write page-long posts about the Broly movie, for example.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:32 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote:

I wouldn't have the patience to write page-long posts about the Broly movie, for example.
Passionate about something they enjoy, greatly critically-minded, and likes to write long-form analyses =/= has an unhealthy obsession that takes over their life. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:11 pm

No, and while the Dragon Ball series and basically the franchise as a whole is something that i enjoy greatly and have enjoyed for years albeit on and off since i was a little kid it is but only one side aspect in the course of my life as a whole. It's not some kind of all consuming obsession that literally supersedes everything else that i do. Be it work, school, friends and family or whichever else it's not my #1 top priority above all those things. The same goes for other big name franchises like Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel.etc as while they are all things that that are very near to me that i've liked in some capacity since my childhood i don't let them become the single thing that my life revolves around in that way.

Simply put, balance out things like this along with your daily goings on in life.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:51 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:

Passionate about something they enjoy, greatly critically-minded, and likes to write long-form analyses =/= has an unhealthy obsession that takes over their life. :lol:
It's not like that, don't be facetious. It's that I can't see someone doing that and still being a ''normal'' individual, as society requires it. I.e. living a regular life.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:11 pm

A cartoon aimed at children should never take priority over anything that affects your life personally. Dragon Ball will always be around, but financial and social and stability won't be.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:57 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:

It's not like that, don't be facetious. It's that I can't see someone doing that and still being a ''normal'' individual, as society requires it. I.e. living a regular life.
You can't imagine people that live regular lives discussing a series they like in-depth? That's what people do. My friends go on for too long when discussing series they like, be it through text or in oral conversation.

You don't even need to look any further than Kanzenshuu staff. They contribute a bunch to the community, yet they have regular jobs and romantic relationships.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:09 pm

It’s never taken priority over anything important for me. My obsession with DB is definitely recognized by my peers though. In fact, i’ve been lucky enough to shoehorn Dragon Ball into my relationships a couple of times. A girl I dated when I was 18 or 19 knew I was really into it and she got curious and asked me to show her from Episode 1. And then one of my best friends wanted to see the entirety of DB from the start a couple years ago. That was a really fun watch-through. It’s fun as hell to get people into Dragon Ball, or any franchise you love for that matter. You almost become envious of them because they’re all surprised at things you’ve known forever, like “Oh my God! Goku’s an alien!?”
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:38 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: Passionate about something they enjoy, greatly critically-minded, and likes to write long-form analyses =/= has an unhealthy obsession that takes over their life. :lol:
You can't imagine people that live regular lives discussing a series they like in-depth? That's what people do. My friends go on for too long when discussing series they like, be it through text or in oral conversation.

You don't even need to look any further than Kanzenshuu staff. They contribute a bunch to the community, yet they have regular jobs and romantic relationships.
Yeah, that seems hard to believe, but nevertheless looks to be true. :crazy:

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:40 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:It’s never taken priority over anything important for me. My obsession with DB is definitely recognized by my peers though. In fact, i’ve been lucky enough to shoehorn Dragon Ball into my relationships a couple of times. A girl I dated when I was 18 or 19 knew I was really into it and she got curious and asked me to show her from Episode 1. And then one of my best friends wanted to see the entirety of DB from the start a couple years ago. That was a really fun watch-through. It’s fun as hell to get people into Dragon Ball, or any franchise you love for that matter. You almost become envious of them because they’re all surprised at things you’ve known forever, like “Oh my God! Goku’s an alien!?”
That's a very cool story, bro. :thumbup: I never dated a girl, much less because of Dragon Ball. :lol:

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:28 am

Doctor. wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: Passionate about something they enjoy, greatly critically-minded, and likes to write long-form analyses =/= has an unhealthy obsession that takes over their life. :lol:

Oral conversation? Lol

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:04 am

Not until they make a actually good Dragon Ball MMORPG by a big name studio.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:10 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:

Oral conversation? Lol
oral
/ˈɔːr(ə)l/
adjective
spoken rather than written; verbal.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:59 am

Kokonoe wrote:Not until they make a actually good Dragon Ball MMORPG by a big name studio.
Haha. Fair point.

Though, not every Dragon Ball fan is necessarily the type to play an MMORPG. I personally can barely get into a regular RPG due to my general apathy towards excessive grinding as gameplay, so MMOs profoundly do not appeal to me. :lol:

Having said that, no one would hear from me for days if they one day put out a solid open-world game set during the Red Ribbon arc, or perhaps just covering the entire Boyhood era, or maybe even a Legacy Of Goku-type game but given a much more reasonable development timescale allowing it the proper polish it deserves. Or perhaps like a Zelda-like game...?
... There's a lot of opportunity for Dragon Ball games that would be awesome and destroy my free time, but aren't being taken advantage of due to the weird idea Bandai have of "all dragon ball games must be fighting, no exceptions"...
... Also, I don't like fighting games that much, and not a single one since Tenkaichi 2 has even slightly drawn my interest. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.