Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:09 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Glad to see DBS Broly is doing so well in the UK.
I believe that was about 5 times more than we did ResF?

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:15 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Should bloody hope so... I had to go in to central London to see F. That kind of effort would put a lot of people off. The fact that most people could see Broly at their local is important. Not to mention the promoting that went into the Western release. I saw the poster up in a couple of places. Who'd have thought making something accessible and promoting it would result in people knowing about it and going to get it?! Heh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:33 am

saiyanhajime wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Should bloody hope so... I had to go in to central London to see F. That kind of effort would put a lot of people off. The fact that most people could see Broly at their local is important. Not to mention the promoting that went into the Western release. I saw the poster up in a couple of places. Who'd have thought making something accessible and promoting it would result in people knowing about it and going to get it?! Heh.
I was just overjoyed that my local Odeon gave us the bigger screen for both sub and dub for 2 days! They were all sold out too so they made the right call.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:36 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
RoF made $280,345 in the UK, while Broly made around $1,117,881

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:12 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
saiyanhajime wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I believe that was about 5 times more than we did ResF?
I was just overjoyed that my local Odeon gave us the bigger screen for both sub and dub for 2 days! They were all sold out too so they made the right call.
Dang, see there were no Sub showings in my immediate area. I was planning on seeing it dubbed and then traveling up to see it subbed in central London... But tbh, with how much visual spectacle there is, I'll wait for home release for sub. I want to stare at the animation and not be distracted by needing to read in the cinema. Heh. But my local Vue added their 400 seat screen on the Thursday and I jumped on it. So glad I did.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:19 pm

Even surpassing the first two Pokemon movies over here is an achievement as those films were a big deal back in the day.

Regardless of what actuals are for worldwide its still crazy to think this movie is nearing the combined gross for both Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:20 pm

saiyanhajime wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
saiyanhajime wrote: Should bloody hope so... I had to go in to central London to see F. That kind of effort would put a lot of people off. The fact that most people could see Broly at their local is important. Not to mention the promoting that went into the Western release. I saw the poster up in a couple of places. Who'd have thought making something accessible and promoting it would result in people knowing about it and going to get it?! Heh.
Dang, see there were no Sub showings in my immediate area. I was planning on seeing it dubbed and then traveling up to see it subbed in central London... But tbh, with how much visual spectacle there is, I'll wait for home release for sub. I want to stare at the animation and not be distracted by needing to read in the cinema. Heh. But my local Vue added their 400 seat screen on the Thursday and I jumped on it. So glad I did.
That is why I went subbed second because I wouldn't have to be too worried about reading everything, since via the dub I'd have got the gist of everything, so mostly concentrated the Japanese performances and action!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:14 pm

Wow that's really good for the UK. So it actually made more than it did in Australia.

Netherlands is the only new market left we don't know about then.

So if I've got this right, last Sunday it was at $65.9 million overseas. Now they say $69.8 million overseas. Otherwise meaning it added $3.9 million over the week.

Of that it made $0.95 million in Australia, $0.21 million in New Zealand, $1.1 million in UK, $0.9 million in Mexico, about $700,000 in Japan and about $400,000 in Chile.

Just those countries alone add to $4.26 million without all the rest.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:39 pm

PFM18 wrote:Wow that's really good for the UK. So it actually made more than it did in Australia.

Netherlands is the only new market left we don't know about then.

So if I've got this right, last Sunday it was at $65.9 million overseas. Now they say $69.8 million overseas. Otherwise meaning it added $3.9 million over the week.

Of that it made $0.95 million in Australia, $0.21 million in New Zealand, $1.1 million in UK, $0.9 million in Mexico, about $700,000 in Japan and about $400,000 in Chile.

Just those countries alone add to $4.26 million without all the rest.
Means it reached more than 100 Million Worldwide right??

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
saiyanhajime wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I was just overjoyed that my local Odeon gave us the bigger screen for both sub and dub for 2 days! They were all sold out too so they made the right call.
That is why I went subbed second because I wouldn't have to be too worried about reading everything, since via the dub I'd have got the gist of everything, so mostly concentrated the Japanese performances and action!
It still hurts that the US didn’t get any sub screenings.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:25 pm

Lujin_16 wrote:Means it reached more than 100 Million Worldwide right??
Not that I could say for sure, ideally you'd think it would be but it depends how they've got these estimates first. I also expect that the domestic gross will probably go down with actuals when that comes in later. So they'd need to be really off for it to pass that mark.

The overseas actuals should also come in today I guess so we should know for sure.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:44 pm

Yeah it looks like it was overestimated quite a bit in the US.

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly grossed $3.01M this weekend. 12-Day total stands at $28.22M."

Box Office Mojo have it at $28.96 million. I'm sure it can still gather another $1.8 million needed to get to $30 million.

It'd need to be at $71.8 million overseas then for it to be at $100 million worldwide. That's $2 million more than estimates...I don't think they'd be that far off so chances are it's going to need a few more days before it hits that mark.

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:13 pm

How many days does the movie left running in the US?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:18 pm

And now they've updated the overseas gross.

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly grossed $1.95M internationally this weekend. International total stands at $70.1M, global total stands at $98.4M."

So the International gross did go up, by about $250,000 from the look of it but because the domestic gross went down by a larger amount it's actually further away from $100 million than it was before lol.

Edit: Well about $285,000 actually because Box Office Mojo says $70.136 million.
Fearless wrote:How many days does the movie left running in the US?
I'm not sure but it's still running up to the weekend here and there at the very least.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:50 pm

It looks like the North American gross over the weekend was quite a bit lower than expected. It took a 69% drop from last week.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:29 pm

WittyUsername wrote:It looks like the North American gross over the weekend was quite a bit lower than expected. It took a 69% drop from last week.
It's a big weekend drop but that not should be of any surprise for this kind of movie. What's strange is that yesterday I said Box Office Mojo had Friday at $890,000. For whatever reason they increased that to $940,000 when they added the weekend estimates and now it's back down to $890,000 again. So they were right the first time.

As long as it can reach the $30 million mile stone then whatever else doesn't really matter much, it's already over performed and it's not about to get to any $40 million so it just needs to scrounge up just a bit more.

Aside from that Screen Daily is saying that it did $1.9 million weekend now with $10.5 million in Mexico (was $10.3 million) and $3.4 million in Chile (was $3.3 million). It still doesn't really seem like it adds up but if that's what they're saying...

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:30 am

Japan 7th Weekend Actuals

09 - ¥46,798,600 ($428,000), -33%, ¥3,837,205,500 ($34.7 million) WK7

Better than estimates this week, 6.9% ahead of Resurrection F at the same point in time. Still unclear if it will make ¥4 billion but it's chances of doing it do seem to increase every week.

This week the new releases are Germany, Spain, Austria and Philippines. Resurrection F made almost $300,000 each in Germany and Spain. That was odd for Spain because Battle of Gods did $485,000.

I've been told that in Spain the movie is releasing in over two and half times as many theatres than the last two though so I expect it to do better there.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:16 am

Spain must be a huge market.... What about Portugal??

German friends are going today!

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:32 pm

from wikipedia

Budget $8.5 million[3]
Box office $98.35 million[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Super:_Broly

huge sucsuss no doubt about it. no doubt were getting a new series