Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:42 pm

TheRed259 wrote:From The Numbers:
Netherlands: $430,673
That's pretty good as well, Netherlands never got Resurrection F so this was a bit up in the air but that's more money than that movie made in UK, Germany or Spain.

But again, and I don't want to be a broken record but there's no way this is all adding up correctly.

Let's do a bit of math. It was at $65.98 million last Sunday and it's at $70.13 million as of this Sunday. So it supposedly made $4.15 million across 7 days.

This is what these countries have made during that 7 day period

Australia - $0.95 million
Chile - $0.4 million
Colombia - $0.26 million
Japan - $0.8 million
Mexico - $0.9 million
Netherlands - $0.43 million
New Zealand - $0.2 million
UK - $1.1 million

Add all that up and that's $5 million. That isn't including Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, United Arab Emirates etc. So I'm not sure how that works out.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:38 pm

The movie made $227,000 in US on Monday. That's down 89% from last Bank Holiday Monday or 69% from the last week day (Thursday).

It's a large but expected drop but is still enough so that it can get to $30 million domestically. Movies usually always make more money on Tuesday, not sure if this will because it's not like other releases but it'd be good for it if it does.

It's total is now at $28.45 million in US.

The movies International gross has updated the past two Wednesday so we'll see if it does again tomorrow.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:54 pm

i think it already surpassed 100 mio but they have not added it yet

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:46 pm

PFM18 wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:From The Numbers:
Netherlands: $430,673
That's pretty good as well, Netherlands never got Resurrection F so this was a bit up in the air but that's more money than that movie made in UK, Germany or Spain.

But again, and I don't want to be a broken record but there's no way this is all adding up correctly.

Let's do a bit of math. It was at $65.98 million last Sunday and it's at $70.13 million as of this Sunday. So it supposedly made $4.15 million across 7 days.

This is what these countries have made during that 7 day period

Australia - $0.95 million
Chile - $0.4 million
Colombia - $0.26 million
Japan - $0.8 million
Mexico - $0.9 million
Netherlands - $0.43 million
New Zealand - $0.2 million
UK - $1.1 million

Add all that up and that's $5 million. That isn't including Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, United Arab Emirates etc. So I'm not sure how that works out.
Too little or too large

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 am

I was thinking how insane the claim that Broly managed to beat Pokemon The First Movie in UK box office numbers... But then I had a thought - when did Pokemon release in the UK?

Japan July 98, USA Nov 99 and the UK? Not until April, 2000. It was too late!

I remember going to see it well after the chaos had died down. I had a pirated copy on VHS what felt like years before in my like, 12 year old brain that I had watched to death before I saw it in the cinema haha. Today, I got a suggestion for the entire Broly movie on Youtube. Ha. It's so much easier now it's scary!

Living in the UK and having to wait for months, sometimes years, for releases to reach us is mostly a thing of the past now... But Broly being dubbed near simultaneously in Japanese and English is remarkable and the impact that has clearly had in reducing illegal trade is groundbreaking. Or rather, reducing the impact of illegal trade. Because the main damage an even later release would have done is made it impossible to avoid seeing so much of the movie it reduced the theatrical experience. I had people (who may well have been acting) shocked and cheering and applauding in my screenings, and that made the experience so much better. The hype is why people were going to see it in droves.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:05 pm

Movie had a nice 50% bump on Tuesday, it made $343,000 which brings its US total to $28.79 million. It should probably fall hard tomorrow though.

It's Worldwide gross is listed at $98.93 million but that international gross is still just as of Sunday.
saiyanhajime wrote:I was thinking how insane the claim that Broly managed to beat Pokemon The First Movie in UK box office numbers...
If you're basing that on Anime News Network saying it was the third highest grossing behind Howls Moving Castle and Spirited Away then they got it wrong which is why they redacted it.

It definitely didn't beat Pokémon.

Pokémon The First Movie - £10.7 million
Pokémon The Movie 2000 - £2.0 million
Digimon The Movie - £1.1 million

So it's really the sixth highest grossing.

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:01 pm

PFM18 wrote:So it's really the sixth highest grossing.
But in fact Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away are below DBS.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:42 pm

It gets worse for the international gross. Before Box Office Mojo had it at $70.1 million as of Sunday...now they're saying $70.0 million as of Tuesday.

Not sure what's gone on there unless but that's very unfortunate as I was hoping it would be at $100 million by the Tuesday but it just seems to keep falling further away lately.

What makes it all the more odd is that it released in Germany on Tuesday. So I don't know if they've really overestimated it or what but yeah it's come down.
Shounen wrote:But in fact Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away are below DBS.
According to Box Office Mojo, Howls Moving Castle made $1.5 million and Spirited Away made $1.38 million.

Broly made $1.12 million by Sunday so it might pass them. Depends how much it kept up in the second week.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:52 am

PFM18 wrote:
saiyanhajime wrote:I was thinking how insane the claim that Broly managed to beat Pokemon The First Movie in UK box office numbers...
If you're basing that on Anime News Network saying it was the third highest grossing behind Howls Moving Castle and Spirited Away then they got it wrong which is why they redacted it.

It definitely didn't beat Pokémon.

Pokémon The First Movie - £10.7 million
Pokémon The Movie 2000 - £2.0 million
Digimon The Movie - £1.1 million

So it's really the sixth highest grossing.
Ha, wow, how did they mess up that claim?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:47 pm

Ok I'm back, I got banned for trying to help someone, I tried to get to into contact with the people running the site but they're of no use to anyone. Big thanks to PFM18 though because if not for him you wouldn't have been able to get most of this information.

Anyway I updated the original post of the topic finally so you can now see the comparisons between the three movies. You can see it was running close to Resurrection F early on but then it began to pull further and further away.

In the US it made $163,000 on Wednesday that was a particularly large drop but the theatre count did drop by almost half. It's still going to need over a million if it's to get to $30 million....it could get there.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:14 pm

I wanted to make a separate post for this because it seems like the bigger issue.

For the Worldwide gross, there's confusion still but I'm positive that it's over $100 million and that they definitely didnt include one of the new markets into its foreign gross.

Box Mojo had the gross go from $65.97 million as of 20/1 to now $70.04 million as of 29/1. That's about $4 million across 9 days. Well they've now added the specific gross for some of the countries.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?p ... zbroly.htm

So looking at this weekend and comparing it to the previous one, here's how much money these movies added over the week.

Mexico - +$870,000
Japan - +$856,000
Chile - +$450,000
Peru - +$420,000
Colombia - +260,000

These countries alone added $2.85 million. Then there's the new releases UK, Australia, New Zealand and Netherlands. Add those grosses in and that adds to $5.56 million. That is still without the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Central America, Bolivia, Paraguay etc.

So with those countries it'll be over $6 million that the movie added over 7 days and I know it added about $200,000 on Monday and Tuesday just from Australia and New Zealand.

This is obviously a far cry from it only adding $4 million in 9 days.

You can also see they've got the weekend gross as being $1.95 million, about what was reported. The weekend grosses then listed add up to over $4 million and that's not all of them.

Both the $4 million across the 9 days and the $1.95 million weekend would seem about right if it wasn't including the new markets and that's where I think the disparity is coming from. I just don't think they were included.

At the very least I'd say this was at $101 million worldwide.

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:32 am

So is the movie done running in Japan since the OP updated?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:46 am

Fearless wrote:So is the movie done running in Japan since the OP updated?
No it's still going in Japan but I won't make the comparisons from Week 7 onward because Battle of Gods and Resurrection F fell off the charts and were only really having estimates from then on. Broly surely won't be in the Top 10 anymore either.

It'll continue to try and claw its way to that ¥4 billion mark though. It's about ¥140-145 million away, I don't know if it'll get there though.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:16 am

BFI finally released their numbers for the week concerning DBS. And My mum's boyfriend mentioned to me he'd seen it as #3 on some late night cinema Box Office show.
https://www.bfi.org.uk/education-resear ... ce-figures

It's also still showing in the UK this weekend, so it's been extended at least twice... Wasn't there when I checked before. Gonna grab a final view on Sunday at a newly opened local Vue me thinks!

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:36 am

Did they really count countries like Bangladesh, UAE, Egypt and many others?

There are many countries Box Office Mojo doesn't list. All the listed ones have more than $68,000,000 together.

So the movie did less than $2,000,000 in all countries that has been released and are not on their list?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Well the other domestic grosses have come down for Thursday but there's no mention of Broly at all. I don't know if it'll come later or what but I'm sure it must have been playing in some theatres.
TheRed259 wrote:So the movie did less than $2,000,000 in all countries that has been released and are not on their list?
I'm not sure what hasn't been included into that $70.0 international gross. The way it's adding up it almost seems like it hasn't included any of the markets it opened in last week. By Saturday it should list all the countries (or as many as it's going to) grosses, maybe UAE might be on there because it was for Resurrection F but I don't know about the others.

Comscore only tracked it in 20 territories and it's definitely in more than that.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:19 pm

Yeah it did come later, on Thursday it made $157,000. Only 4% down from yesterday. It's at $29.1 million now, would be nice if it could get to $30 million by Sunday we'll see.

Worldwide is listed at $99.14 million.

Since I posted yesterday Box Office Mojo have updated another 4 countries. Now it appears to have added $3.53 million without the new releases and $6.23 million with the new releases. That still doesn't include Brazil, Ecuador, Central America or United Arab Emirates. Which is why I think the $4 million that it added over the week just didn't include the new releases.

By all accounts this does add up to the movie making $100-101 million worldwide by last Sunday.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:51 pm

The Australian gross for Broly hasn't updated since the 25th of January. It should be way higher than $948,400. The movie released on the 24th here in Australia.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:55 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:The Australian gross for Broly hasn't updated since the 25th of January. It should be way higher than $948,400. The movie released on the 24th here in Australia.
The international grosses only update as of every Sunday on Box Office Mojo. Another site did give it's Australian gross as of Wednesday though.

https://numero.co/reports/2019/01/31/th ... ens-strong

Its made $1.22 million. Resurrection F finished with $1.12 million.

It's also made $254,000 in New Zealand. Not far off double Resurrection F already.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:23 am

So I emailed the guy over at Screen Daily who gives the Box Office updates and I asked him about this odd discrepancy in the foreign gross. Well he replied and told me was that the movie as of Wednesday had an international gross of $71.1 million from Fox territories. With the domestic gross being at $29.1 million, it means that the movie is at least guaranteed to be at $100.2 million worldwide. So it has passed that milestone, 100%.

But him specifying "Fox territories" and then saying that for "Other territories" he'd need information from Rentrak, obviously means it made additional money from other places not included within that $71.1 million.

Now seeing as the movie was distributed by Madmen Entertainment in Australia and New Zealand and National Amusements in the UK....that's likely not considered a Fox territory. So I think my speculation was likely correct and they haven't included those grosses in. When you do include them then it'd be closer to $103 million worldwide.