I don’t see what’s so great about the fighting style/animation of this Broly movie...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

I don’t see what’s so great about the fighting style/animation of this Broly movie...

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:38 am

Everyone is praising it because “great names” are on the board. Animators who apparently have a big reputation in the anime industry known for making great battles. But if i watch this movie (as i have for 3 times already in the theater) i cannot help but find the battles to be boring, not beautiful at all, and certainly not impactful! Just look at the way Vegeta moved against Broly at the very beginning of the fight. The fights also went to fast. (All of them) it was neither enjoyable nor impactful. Especially that moment when that Frieza soldier punched Broly in the chest at their spaceship. That was SSJ Goku Vs Present Zamasu levels bad! It was ugly.

If i compare every fight sequence in this entire movie to Anime fights such as SSJ Blue Vegeta Vs Goku Black, SSJ Blue Vegeta Vs Golden Frieza and Base Vegito stomping and getting stomped by Buuhan in the Anime, i’ll take all of these gladly over any fight sequence in this movie! Which is supposively (Top Tier) i think this is laughable. That moment when you realise the Anime has better, more impactful, and more enjoyable fights than this movie. I always prefer a simple Fist to Fist Stomping over “flashy tricks” anyday. So why are these animators so praised? Than there’s also the fact that the musical score of this movie sucked major ass. Sumitomo has definitely gone down many notches in this movie. Compare any theme song of this movie, to Goku Black’s theme or the infamous Beerus theme and you know what i mean.

That said, despite all of that, i am glad this movie exists and don’t regret supporting the official release at all. I like the fact that a Saiyan such as Broly exists and what that means for the future.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Re: I don’t see what’s so great about the fighting style/animation of this Broly movie...

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:11 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:Base Vegito stomping and getting stomped by Buuhan in the Anime
Are you, uh, are you serious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8inBHkYr6U

This video is 50 minutes long.

About 45 minutes of it is dialogue and "waiting for the smoke to clear" filler.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: I don’t see what’s so great about the fighting style/animation of this Broly movie...

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:57 am

Have to disagree. When the first "fight" of Goku vs Vegeta was at the level, if not better, than the Beerus fight in Battle of Gods, I knew we were going to be in for something amazing. Broly vs Vegeta, Broly vs Goku, and Broly vs Gogeta were absolutely fantastic and some of the best fights we got out of the series.

As for the animation, the only real wonky portion was when Goku and Vegeta first start learning the fusion dance. They were low detail and focused on for far too long.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Couldn’t disagree more the animation, art design and music were the best thing about this film. I am listening to the full OST now actually and it is godly.

I also think it is rude to say that people only like the animation and art design because they know the animators. Maybe you shouldn’t speak for other people.
As for the animation, the only real wonky portion was when Goku and Vegeta first start learning the fusion dance. They were low detail and focused on for far too long.
Also strongly disagree with this. That wasn’t even animation but art style. It was a stylistic choice to make the scene more funny.
Last edited by Kinokima on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:09 pm

Broly vs vegeta was the best fight this franchise has seen in a long, long time. I am a little annoyed with how fast and flashy the gogeta fight was, like come on it's not ALL about crazy anime angles! That being said it was still wildly entertaining even if it continued the "our protagonists are never really in danger" theme.

Vegeta powering up to Super Saiyan was the most beautiful part of the movie. It was an actual power up not just a lame (overused) camera zoom out while the character screams really quick!

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:12 pm

My only qualm with the fight was the yelling/singing GOGETA GOGETA , BROLY BROLY!!! During the climax ugh, kinda took me out of the fight. As for the art and animation, I think the change will become more apparent why a change was needed if we get a new series, as movies usually get everyones A game anyway.