Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Vic Mignogna

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:24 am

I am the last person on Earth to pay attention to dubs and anything related to it, but it came to my attention and I believe this deserves attention. An A-list actor, from what I have heard of him has been getting away with gross behaviour for years. Here's the full article with the victims' statements.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... na/.142212

It is also related to DB cause he is the Eng voice of Broli.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:34 am

Until it is proven in a court of law that he committed these acts, I refuse to make a judgement. Innocent until proven guilty.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:42 am

PremiumSalt wrote:Until it is proven in a court of law that he committed these acts, I refuse to make a judgement. Innocent until proven guilty.
Yes, at this point it's only allegations and accusations of supposed acts. They have nothing concrete at this point which which to go forward on actually charging him with any degree of sexual misconduct or otherwise.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:50 am

I prefer to follow the principle of the law as much as any other girl...but let's be honest here, there are hundreds of stories coming out about Mignogna. Capitalist greed and friendships won't stop Mignogna from getting work but it is a responsibility of the fan community to blacklist him from our spaces so as to protect the vulnerable.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:10 am

PremiumSalt wrote:Until it is proven in a court of law that he committed these acts, I refuse to make a judgement. Innocent until proven guilty.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Yes, at this point it's only allegations and accusations of supposed acts. They have nothing concrete at this point which which to go forward on actually charging him with any degree of sexual misconduct or otherwise.
I don't even know where to begin here, so let's at least just say you've disqualified yourselves from further comment on the issue. Not interested in the least what else you might have to say, or that of anyone else who wants to chime in with similar comments.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GreatJaiyaman
Banned

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:45 am

100% agree, perfectly rational thinking. We can see where the mod stands on the issue, kind of shocked by the close mindedness tbh.
VegettoEX is a snowflake

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:45 am

GreatJaiyaman wrote:100% agree, perfectly rational thinking. We can see where the mod stands on the issue, kind of shocked by the close mindedness tbh.
We are not playing this game. This shit doesn't work here.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:59 am

Ugh, the article made me feel sick.

Guys saying innocent until proven guilty - yeeesss, but have you looked at the article? With your eyes? Numerous allegations and they're varied in context, but they all paint the same gross picture.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:03 pm

I was avoiding looking at the photos but I did anyway and holy fucking shit. This motherfucker is in his fifties and he can't read a room after a decade of these episodes? This is intentional preying on his part.

--Julie
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:45 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Yes, at this point it's only allegations and accusations of supposed acts. They have nothing concrete at this point which which to go forward on actually charging him with any degree of sexual misconduct or otherwise.
I don't even know where to begin here, so let's at least just say you've disqualified yourselves from further comment on the issue. Not interested in the least what else you might have to say, or that of anyone else who wants to chime in with similar comments.
It appears that i made my response comment to his in complete ignorance and blindness to the serious nature of this thing, and as such i will therefore refrain from posting about things which i have not had so much as an iota of personal occurrences or knowledge of.

My sincerest apologies if it came off as extremely stupid or insensitive to anyone, and now that i've taken a second look i really regret posting it now and will not be making the same mistake again. :oops:
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:58 pm

I was thinking about this the other day. There was a big stink about this probably ten years ago, and then everyone just seemed to...forget? Stopped caring?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:19 pm

Regardless of whether Vic's intentions were pure, this is absolutely not how you should approach your fans. Full stop.

Not everybody feels validated or comfortable by this kind of behavior without consent, and after so many years of attending conventions, he should have known better.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:30 pm

I'm really shocked about all this.

I thought, with what I'd seen of his work on Star Trek Continues, and how all that had gone, that he was a really cool guy, and like convention clips of him yelling "KAKARROT!" showed a nice side of him... And y'know, I'd really loved STC, I was considering seeing the new Broly movie dubbed to see how he, Sabat, and Ayres performed and so I could see the film again... But damn... Damn.

I hope this leads to more people coming forward about more such actors, but at the same time, I'm dreading this. It looks like something might be going on with Todd Haberkorn -- #17 in Kai, Spock in Star Trek Continues...

Christ, though... I never considered #MeToo would touch Dragon Ball, I assumed everyone working on this was nice. I've never seen anything other than everyone all being really great people working on this joyful thing, with the possible exception of the whole Schemmel thing about him signing other Gokus' things and other Gokus signing his stuff, and the falling-out Dale Kelly had with Funimation, but I don't think any of that even registers at all if we're talking on this scale of thing... And now it looks like Todd Haberkorn might be in on this whole mess too?

God, I hope no one else in the Dragon Ball cast has done anything like this... I can't see it happening, but... Well... No one expected Kevin Spacey or John Lasseter...
I don't want to think about it, but after all that's come out about all the people we've seen be revealed so far... I have no idea what to think.

As I said in the other thread, though; to anyone who's going with the "Innocent until proven guilty" mindset, or is otherwise refusing to believe this... Whatever you do, for god's sake keep it to yourself. Even if you think you're right, just imagine if you're wrong, people are often wrong even when 100% certain about something, especially involving events they weren't present for, think about what a victim of something like this feels like when someone expresses disbelief in a claim they're making of this nature... And think of the harm such a reaction does to the #MeToo movement of exposing this... People disbelieving victims is exactly why it's taken this long for this stuff to come out...

No one wants to believe their heroes are dicks, but sometimes they just are. And that sucks.
Cursed Lemon wrote:I was thinking about this the other day. There was a big stink about this probably ten years ago, and then everyone just seemed to...forget? Stopped caring?
Apparently this has been something of an open secret for a long time.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:46 pm

Apparently we're not allowed to voice our own beliefs on things unless it matches the majority of modern public opinion's new 'guilty until proven innocent' mindset rather than the way law works, so I'll be staying out of this discussion as much as I can, lest I say more that I shouldn't or get myself into trouble.

In regards to the thing on Todd though, for what it's worth, he has his own side of the story and evidence supporting his side, which has every equal right to be seen as does any other side.

Edit: His original posting of it seems to have been removed for some reason, so here's his newly uploaded account.
Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:04 pm

The simple truth is victims don't come forward immediately in matters of sexual harassment or assault. There's guilt/shame in the victim for "allowing" it to happen (among other things), there's often times a self-denial that it happened because nobody wants to feel like they have been victimized, sometimes the power difference makes the victim feel like owe their abuser their silence, and many people just want to not have to interact with the person who abused them. There's many other reasons, and you can look them up on your own time, but let's restrict it to those for now.

Why is this important?

Well it's simple. Evidence of trauma doesn't last that long. Many victims don't come forward, and of those who do, they often times do it so late that any evidence is gone. That's why people often scoff at the idea of "lack of evidence being lack of guilt" in this matter.

Sure, Vic didn't rape anyone, but the psychology of all levels of sexual harassment is pretty much the same. These women have been brave enough to come forward, so show some empathy and at least consider their points of view.

With Vicky Boy here, this isn't an isolated incident. News of his improper behavior has been circulating for over a decade at this point and he hasn't stopped. I don't know the guy, but generally if you're accused of something like this you'd stop behaving in a way that would incriminate you, yet he hasn't stopped. We shouldn't have to be talking about this in 2019, when it's been a story since before 2010. He either should've stopped himself, or event organizers should've barred him from interacting with fans.

Here are some more articles you should read.

I chose pretty digestible articles instead of academic papers. I can post those if you'd prefer.
VegettoEX wrote: I don't even know where to begin here, so let's at least just say you've disqualified yourselves from further comment on the issue. Not interested in the least what else you might have to say, or that of anyone else who wants to chime in with similar comments.
The people you quoted have a very naive and troubling view of the world and the behavior an imbalance in male and female power dynamics leads to, but I feel saying stuff like this doesn't help anyone. It's better to explain to them why their views are problematic than to just tell them to shut up. At least I think so.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

GreatJaiyaman
Banned

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
GreatJaiyaman wrote:100% agree, perfectly rational thinking. We can see where the mod stands on the issue, kind of shocked by the close mindedness tbh.
We are not playing this game. This shit doesn't work here.
Don't be such a snowflake, if someone's views don't line up with your own it's ok, but since your the big bad moderator we should all have to conform to what you think? What happened to open minded discussion on this board?
VegettoEX is a snowflake

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:35 pm

GreatJaiyaman wrote:Don't be such a snowflake, if someone's views don't line up with your own it's ok, but since your the big bad moderator we should all have to conform to what you think? What happened to open minded discussion on this board?
This continues to not work here.

You're not being open-minded.
TKA wrote:The people you quoted have a very naive and troubling view of the world and the behavior an imbalance in male and female power dynamics leads to, but I feel saying stuff like this doesn't help anyone. It's better to explain to them why their views are problematic than to just tell them to shut up. At least I think so.
Thank you for posting the resources you did.

(In general, the people who post these things purposefully do so in bad faith, knowing full well what they're doing. It's great when we can reach the ones we can, so thank you for being part of that.)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:51 pm

TKA wrote:
The simple truth is victims don't come forward immediately in matters of sexual harassment or assault. There's guilt/shame in the victim for "allowing" it to happen (among other things), there's often times a self-denial that it happened because nobody wants to feel like they have been victimized, sometimes the power difference makes the victim feel like owe their abuser their silence, and many people just want to not have to interact with the person who abused them. There's many other reasons, and you can look them up on your own time, but let's restrict it to those for now.

Why is this important?

Well it's simple. Evidence of trauma doesn't last that long. Many victims don't come forward, and of those who do, they often times do it so late that any evidence is gone. That's why people often scoff at the idea of "lack of evidence being lack of guilt" in this matter.

Sure, Vic didn't rape anyone, but the psychology of all levels of sexual harassment is pretty much the same. These women have been brave enough to come forward, so show some empathy and at least consider their points of view.

With Vicky Boy here, this isn't an isolated incident. News of his improper behavior has been circulating for over a decade at this point and he hasn't stopped. I don't know the guy, but generally if you're accused of something like this you'd stop behaving in a way that would incriminate you, yet he hasn't stopped. We shouldn't have to be talking about this in 2019, when it's been a story since before 2010. He either should've stopped himself, or event organizers should've barred him from interacting with fans.

Here are some more articles you should read.

I chose pretty digestible articles instead of academic papers. I can post those if you'd prefer.
Please don't misunderstand, I'm not saying there isn't a decent amount of evidence piled up against Vic. It is highly possible he's guilty. But I personally will not condemn the man until it's absolute. I think that's a perfectly reasonable stance.
TKA wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: I don't even know where to begin here, so let's at least just say you've disqualified yourselves from further comment on the issue. Not interested in the least what else you might have to say, or that of anyone else who wants to chime in with similar comments.
The people you quoted have a very naive and troubling view of the world and the behavior an imbalance in male and female power dynamics leads to, but I feel saying stuff like this doesn't help anyone. It's better to explain to them why their views are problematic than to just tell them to shut up. At least I think so.
On the other hand, I have no idea where the hell you got this from. Newsflash, I'm a woman. So even if your assumption about me here was correct, if you want to play the "problematic" game, I'd say that you talking down to me, a woman, in regards to my views on the power imbalance between men and women is pretty "problematic".
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:54 pm

It's a sensitive subject, best to listen hard to all points of view and not judge either side until the powers that be can make an informed decision.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:00 pm

What I don't understand is why nothing why was nothing done about this sooner. Not from the victims, because they were victims and most importantly kids but from CON-staffs and hire-ups, especially since this had been an open secret for so long and yet they continued to book him (I'm talking about early-mid00's and not so much recent history where he has been banned from many conventions). Let's face it, he's not Weinstein or Bill Cosby when it comes to power in the system. He just happened to be extremely popular because of Full Metal Alchemist and he drew in a lot of money and unfortunately, it just kind of highlights what is more important sadly.

Edit: This explains a lot and I feel this should be an important topic in this conversation
"Here's the dirty fact nobody wants to confront. It was reported. As were many other incidents from attendees and staff. In a dozen or so years stafging and 20 attending there are at least as many incidents from cons alone. "
Source- https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/ph ... &start=105

Edit: This is the problem, why did anyone think this is ok?!
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO: I'll accept this criticism. Many of us at ANN have known about Vic's behavior for over a decade. We never wrote about it. Rather than deciding not to write about it, it never even occurred to us to write about it. It took the #metoo movement for us to realize that the we, as journalists, have a responsibility to make people aware of what goes on in these situations.

In regards to the timeline for this, Jesse was not the catalyst. The article was almost finished when Jesse made her statement. Jesse was extremely brave to make her statement publicly and our journalists decided to add it. The catalyst for this was Dylan Keilman. We've been talking about this publicly on Twitter for 2 weeks.

We know about a lot of other terrible people in the industry. We've known about them for years. The whisper network has kept some of our staff from going beyond locked doors with the wrong people. But that whisper network doesn't reach the fans, the 14-year-olds that idolize people in the industry. Shame on us for never reporting it? Sure, I'll agree with that statement. But better late than never. We can do something good now. We're going to do our best to protect our readers and every anime fan or fresh-out-of-university professional from being harassed or worse. Unfortunately there are names that we can't publish yet. People we know who have done bad things, but we don't have enough proof. We don't have the receipts. We don't have the corroboration. Our staff is working on it, and when they get the information, we're working with experts to make sure that when we go to press, we do it right. Someone else might beat us to it; I don't care. I'm not interested in being first on this; I'm interested in doing it right.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/ph ... &start=120