Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:30 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:In the subbed did Gogeta refer to Vegetto by name too?

But then again didn't Vegetto refer to Goku as Goku?
Gogeeta does mention the Potara fusion's name, yes.

No, he said he was the fusion between Kakarrot and Vegeeta.
Ahh that must have been the dub only then, thanks!

And interesting to know Gogeta knows of Vegetto wasn't a dub only thing.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Interesting to see that the Blu-Ray for the Broly film is coming out in April. I wonder if the leaked screening helped speed up the release. I know for sure that Toei is mad at Funimation for this fuck-up.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:48 pm

Can I just say that I actually hope that Kikono and Beriblu are kept around from here on out as supporting characters for Frieza. Despite them not playing s big of a role in the movie, I feel like something about them compliment Frieza really well.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:56 pm

majinwarman wrote:Interesting to see that the Blu-Ray for the Broly film is coming out in April. I wonder if the leaked screening helped speed up the release. I know for sure that Toei is mad at Funimation for this fuck-up.
In April? Wow, that's pretty quick. What happen, where is the source? Did team Funi have loose lips?

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:50 pm

Miracles wrote:
majinwarman wrote:Interesting to see that the Blu-Ray for the Broly film is coming out in April. I wonder if the leaked screening helped speed up the release. I know for sure that Toei is mad at Funimation for this fuck-up.
In April? Wow, that's pretty quick. What happen, where is the source? Did team Funi have loose lips?
One of the screener copies of the movie (roughly DVD quality) FUNi had sent out to YouTubers/Reviewers got leaked online.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:10 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
Miracles wrote:
One of the screener copies of the movie (roughly DVD quality) FUNi had sent out to YouTubers/Reviewers got leaked online.
Ah, nice. Thanks.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:20 pm

Miracles wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:
Miracles wrote: In April? Wow, that's pretty quick. What happen, where is the source? Did team Funi have loose lips?
Ah, nice. Thanks.
Toei may tell Funimation to not give that type of privilege every again.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:18 am

Maybe now they will learn to speed up the release for their movies internationally for all countries.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:23 am

dragonballhero wrote:Can I just say that I actually hope that Kikono and Beriblu are kept around from here on out as supporting characters for Frieza. Despite them not playing s big of a role in the movie, I feel like something about them compliment Frieza really well.
I want them to stay too they're kinda like his caregivers (Beriblu gives me a nanny vibe but an evil nanny) must be why he didn't kill her when she called him short he must care for them (which is weird of freeza)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:30 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Maybe now they will learn to speed up the release for their movies internationally for all countries.
As much as I hate to say this... you are actually right.
It’s no excuse for what has happened, but I actually called out months ago that piracy would have hurt this movie a lot, which is why I was hoping for the movie to have a simultaneous release.
I hope that at least this will open their eyes for the future. It’s not only about the screener, but there have been numerous camrips on YouTube which have reached incredible numbers of views.
Sure, a simultaneous release wouldn’t stop people from recording at the theatre, but it would surely stop lots of people from anxiously look up for illegal pirated version of the movie online because the movie comes too late in their country.
We are in 2019. Piracy is real and they know it. They should try to prevent their losses more, because it’s extremely sad to se the movie not hitting its full potential in terms of earnings because of it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:50 am

I think Toei's (or anyone's, frankly) obsession with piracy is wasted energy. Piracy will always be a thing. There's nothing you can do to stop it. But you sure as hell can reduce it by making things accessible. Dubbing the movie in so many languages this early, having major cinema releases and getting the thing out on DVD asap reduces piracy massively.

You can't make something impossible to obtain and then complain when it gets pirated... There's still no legal way, to my knowledge, to stream DBS in English in the UK? I do a google every now and again and just go in circles and get fed up. Most people won't waste that kind of energy when it's so easy to obtain illegally. There will always be people who just watch the whole thing filmed from a phone in the cinema on YouTube rather than going to see it, and getting bent out of shape about it isn't going to stop it happening. Make it easier to watch legally and you'll cut down on that substantially to the point where it doesn't matter. Those people wouldn't pay if they couldn't find it illegally, they just wouldn't watch it at all.

Whilst I'm here, I posted a fairly in depth spoiler review on Tumblr, if anyone enjoys reading such things. I talk about the things that matter most to me - aesthetics, headcanon and characterisation.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:47 am

Does anybody know why Shenron granted only one wish in the movie?
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:53 am

BrolyKale wrote:Does anybody know why Shenron granted only one wish in the movie?
I believe it was left over from the epsiode they wished Pan back to health & Shenron ran away. I don't think a year had past since then.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:53 am

Minor pet peeve with Frieza's design in this film, while I understand they wanted to give him his manga coloring for his first form, they gave him his anime coloring for his second and third. They should have just stuck with one color palette for him.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:18 am

emperior wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Maybe now they will learn to speed up the release for their movies internationally for all countries.
It’s no excuse for what has happened, but I actually called out months ago that piracy would have hurt this movie a lot, which is why I was hoping for the movie to have a simultaneous release.
I hope that at least this will open their eyes for the future. It’s not only about the screener, but there have been numerous camrips on YouTube which have reached incredible numbers of views.
Sure, a simultaneous release wouldn’t stop people from recording at the theatre, but it would surely stop lots of people from anxiously look up for illegal pirated version of the movie online because the movie comes too late in their country.
We are in 2019. Piracy is real and they know it. They should try to prevent their losses more, because it’s extremely sad to se the movie not hitting its full potential in terms of earnings because of it.
It hasn't hurt the movie in anything meaningful way. It was bound to be posted online regardless when the Blu-ray launched.
Feels over Reals.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:48 am

RedHeat wrote:
emperior wrote:
It hasn't hurt the movie in anything meaningful way. It was bound to be posted online regardless when the Blu-ray launched.
I disagree. One of my friends was going to go see it at the theater and decided not to once he got the dvd quality rip online. It’s a pretty big f up to have something of this quality leak online while it’s still in theaters.

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:07 pm

Ooo makes me happy that the blu-ray will get released in April! Dying to watch it again in the comfort of my home! I hope it has all the behind the scenes recordings and all like Battle of Gods.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:51 pm

saiyanhajime wrote:I think Toei's (or anyone's, frankly) obsession with piracy is wasted energy. Piracy will always be a thing. There's nothing you can do to stop it. But you sure as hell can reduce it by making things accessible. Dubbing the movie in so many languages this early, having major cinema releases and getting the thing out on DVD asap reduces piracy massively.

You can't make something impossible to obtain and then complain when it gets pirated... There's still no legal way, to my knowledge, to stream DBS in English in the UK? I do a google every now and again and just go in circles and get fed up. Most people won't waste that kind of energy when it's so easy to obtain illegally. There will always be people who just watch the whole thing filmed from a phone in the cinema on YouTube rather than going to see it, and getting bent out of shape about it isn't going to stop it happening. Make it easier to watch legally and you'll cut down on that substantially to the point where it doesn't matter. Those people wouldn't pay if they couldn't find it illegally, they just wouldn't watch it at all.

Whilst I'm here, I posted a fairly in depth spoiler review on Tumblr, if anyone enjoys reading such things. I talk about the things that matter most to me - aesthetics, headcanon and characterisation.
Great post. I agree. In my opinion, Piracy isn’t that bad as long as you ALSO support the official release. What if everyone who claimed to be a fan of the show watched the movie in theaters (supported the official release) yet also watched the movie illegally online after that. Why would Toei still care about that if they’re bringing in LOADS of money?!

WeLoveBroly

Post by WeLoveBroly » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:59 pm

Minor peeve but are we really expected to believe Broly was fighting Frieza for an entire hour considering that the goku Freeza fight only took 5 minutes and the fighters are moving at light speed?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:38 pm

WeLoveBroly wrote:Minor peeve but are we really expected to believe Broly was fighting Frieza for an entire hour considering that the goku Freeza fight only took 5 minutes and the fighters are moving at light speed?
I am sure they had a toilet break or two.