Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by saiyanhajime » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:58 pm

Robo4900 wrote:If you want to get into the best way of responding to this, and talking about stuff like the "author vs the art" idea, then I'd at this point like to say -- probably my preferred solution would be if Funimation sever ties with him, bring in a new casting for Broly as soon as possible, and have the new guy redub Mignogna's lines for the DVD/BD release of the movie.
They're going to need a new guy for any future videogame appearances etc. anyway, and if the guys at Toei decide to bring him back in Super again, and they have time to do that before the April release of the DVD/BD, so... It could be done.

That's just my two cents on that particular part of this.
Yeah, exactly this.

He did an outstanding job in the Broly movie, imo. But being talented or skilled in an art doesn't magically make you free of all sin lmao. We can enjoy his voice, but that doesn't make it ok for Funimation to continue giving him work now this is so publicly exposed. And conventions should absolutely stop even considering having him as a guest.

Time to say goooodbye and appreciate his past work out of context.

At this point, it doesn't even matter if hes innocent - it's pretty obvious he's not entirely innocent, but even regardless, it's not good for business to keep him around.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:02 pm

I do have to wonder one thing in regards to the pictures of Mignogna. What if him hugging girls and kissing them on the cheek wasn’t meant to be sexual on his part, but was simply him trying to be affectionate without realizing that some of these girls might have personal boundaries? I’m not saying that’s the case, but what if it is? I know he should obviously be expected to apologize regardless, but would he still deserve all this negative attention?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:05 pm

wjbraden wrote:Also (and I mean this in the most respectful way possible), I am somewhat taken aback by Mr. VegettoEX's decision to restrict some users from voicing their genuine views and opinions on this matter, especially since this forum is typically allows for very broad and liberal discourse in all matters, as long as they are respectful and remain on topic. I do wish you would reconsider your decision to restrict these dissenting and different opinions as we move forward in this topic.
Casual dismissal of thoroughly researched, fact-checked, corroborated reporting with true journalistic integrity behind it is not a "well now hold the phone maybe let's have an open mind and consider our options" situation.

We're not restricting open conversation on "I think Gohan was out-of-character in the Cell arc." We're not restricting "oh god this is awful I really hope this isn't true." We're restricting conversations made in bad faith with zero empathy leaning on the side of "they're lying about sexual assault." Kanzenshuu is not going to be a haven for that, and we're not going to entertain it in the least.

I definitely apologize for not making and taking the time that TKA took to leave the requisite reading and information. Unfortunately, this kind of stuff (as I mentioned) is far-too-often met with the aforementioned bad-faith-actors who know exactly what they're doing, attempt to spin things around on the victims, and/or attempt to diminish the overall scope of the situation. I was attempting to get in front of that immediately after two posts. These people are not, have never been, and never will be welcome in these conversations, and it's important for that to be known.
WittyUsername wrote:The account of the person who made that claim is just barely a month old, so at the moment, it doesn’t seem especially credible
The timespan of a report in and of itself should in no way be solely regarded as some hinge point of credibility. See: prior literature about assault reporting / psychology / reasoning / etc.
WittyUsername wrote:but would he still deserve all this negative attention?
Yes.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote: The timespan of a report in and of itself should in no way be solely regarded as some hinge point of credibility. See: prior literature about assault reporting / psychology / reasoning / etc.
That wasn’t what I said, or at the very least, it wasn’t what I was trying to say. What I was saying was that I’ll reserve judgement on Schemmel because as far as I know, there aren’t years worth of stories about him, and all we have on him so far is an isolated comment from an account that could possibly be a troll account. I’m not saying it is, it was simply a possibility. I wasn’t making a comment about Mignogna. I’m aware that there are years worth of stories about him.

Also, I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but I feel that it’s a bit disingenuous to quote a specific line from my post, without taking into account the larger context of what I was saying.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:17 pm

Why even mention "could be a troll", though? Why is that even part of the conversation?

If you don't know, you don't know. What point is there in even legitimizing the chance of that, rather than "I do not personally have or see the necessary context to make a call on this, nor should this particular example be something I as an individual should be making a call on"?

Not everything needs random fan's two-cents (my own included).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:19 pm

I wasn’t trying to make a definitive call on anything. I was responding to another post that called the validity of the comment into question. I wasn’t trying to pick a fight with anyone, nor was I trying to downplay these kinds of allegations.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:38 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Going thru the comments on the ANN article and just ran into this....
Back in 2011, Sean Schemmel put his hand under my skirt at Anime Midwest It happened in a hallway after one of his panels. Sad This doesn't have anything to do with Vic Mignogna, but it seemed appropriate to share it in this thread.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/ph ... c&start=45

Seeing as Schemmel is openly liking kickvic hashtags, I'm not 100% sure how to feel about this, but I feel it should be looked into.
It’s unfortunate, but with the years worth of detailed stories and the recent photos and such, I can believe the Vic stuff. The Schemmel comment...not really buying that one. Just posting a passing comment like that in the middle of a thread, no real story with it just “dude put his hand up my skirt.” :eh:
While a good point it worth noting (if others come up) they may have felt comfortable posting there. I wont discredit it because it's just one (mind you vic has years of aligations without anything being done) And I cant find anything else besides the usal shemmel drama, but none the less I am curious to see to is on ANN's list and for what. I'm sure they're all not for being pervs or molesters and stuff like just being hard to work with. But, the time is now,since the dialogue is open.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:42 pm

ABED wrote: It depends on the severity of the crime. When you say womanizer, do you just mean he sleeps with a lot of women? In terms of this issue, it's not an issue of erasing actual history, it's replacing an actor's performance. That's not the same as a history book leaving out the Holocaust.

I think it's reasonable that a company would want to distance themselves and not be seen as promoting an artist who has serious allegations against them.
Agreed, and I was not insinuating that Vic performance should be viewed in the same weight as a "historic event", I just think there should be a statue of limitations of the removal of content from perpetrators (also, yes Pablo Picasso was said to have had mistresses and acted inappropriately towards many women in his life, allegedly). In this case, if Vic does end up becoming barred from the industry (which I fear may happen fairly soon with the way things are playing out) I think re-dubbing Vic' s performance, in say DBS: Broly, would prove quite divisive, and bring about more unwanted drama, all the while detracting from the real issue at hand regarding, which is tackiling sexual abuse.
VegettoEX wrote: We're not restricting open conversation on "I think Gohan was out-of-character in the Cell arc." We're not restricting "oh god this is awful I really hope this isn't true." We're restricting conversations made in bad faith with zero empathy leaning on the side of "they're lying about sexual assault." Kanzenshuu is not going to be a haven for that, and we're not going to entertain it in the least.

I definitely apologize for not making and taking the time that TKA took to leave the requisite reading and information. Unfortunately, this kind of stuff (as I mentioned) is far-too-often met with the aforementioned bad-faith-actors who know exactly what they're doing, attempt to spin things around on the victims, and/or attempt to diminish the overall scope of the situation. I was attempting to get in front of that immediately after two posts. These people are not, have never been, and never will be welcome in these conversations, and it's important for that to be known.
Thank you for that explanation, as it makes quite a bit more sense with a little more context. However, I am not seeing how SuperSaiyaManZ94's comment was made with malicious intent. Perhaps I'm missing something or something was misconstrued here?
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:43 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Going thru the comments on the ANN article and just ran into this....

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/ph ... c&start=45

Seeing as Schemmel is openly liking kickvic hashtags, I'm not 100% sure how to feel about this, but I feel it should be looked into.
It’s unfortunate, but with the years worth of detailed stories and the recent photos and such, I can believe the Vic stuff. The Schemmel comment...not really buying that one. Just posting a passing comment like that in the middle of a thread, no real story with it just “dude put his hand up my skirt.” :eh:
While a good point it worth noting (if others come up) they may have felt comfortable posting there. I wont discredit it because it's just one (mind you vic has years of aligations without anything being done) And I cant find anything else besides the usal shemmel drama, but none the less I am curious to see to is on ANN's list and for what. I'm sure they're all not for being pervs or molesters and stuff like just being hard to work with. But, the time is now,since the dialogue is open.

I will say this: someone definitely needs to look into every one of these stories that are shared on the Internet about these people. The fans have a right to get to the bottom of this.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:46 pm

wjbraden wrote:Not sure the complete removal of alleged me-too perpetrators from their work in past media is the best way of going about things. I think it just leads to more drama, more divisiveness, and detracts away from the true message of the movement, which is putting an end to sexual abuse and misconduct. I think it is also unfair when an entire production is completely removed or canceled due to one's persons actions, and could even be viewed as form of censorship. I believe at some point you have to separate the art from the artist, and put a statue of limitation on things. Don't get me wrong, the metoo movement has done an excellent job for taking down some of the worst of the worst in all sorts of different industries, and it's going to take a lot more effort to change our cultural narrative to crack down on sexual abuse and misconduct. Unfortunately, for all the good the movement has done, I it has I think it has also led to a kind of hysteria, pointing of fingers and false testimony that has impeded upon the judicial process. Allegations should be examined seriously and properly, not guided by social media rumor mills. Those suspected of wrongdoing should be innocent until proven guilty.

Also (and I mean this in the most respectful way possible), I am somewhat taken aback by Mr. VegettoEX's decision to restrict some users from voicing their genuine views and opinions on this matter, especially since this forum is typically allows for very broad and liberal discourse in all matters, as long as they are respectful and remain on topic. I do wish you would reconsider your decision to restrict these dissenting and different opinions as we move forward in this topic.
We aren't robots. The court system isn't Ace Attorney where all the evidence falls into your lap and you end up winning the case in the end or you have proof of everything enough to convict someone. A court doesn't doesn't prove someone's not guilty, it proves there isn't enough evidence to find guilty verdict, so it's not full-proof by any means and it's very hard to prove sexual misconduct happened to you.

Think about it for a second. You're with someone, and they grope you without your consent but by the time anyone looks no one saw anything. How do you prove that happens? You can't unless you were deliberately recording yourself at all times.

The fact that so many women have made a claim that he did something inappropriate with them should send quite the message because there's no logical reason people would say this about him in such numbers.

It's not like women en masse are just trying to shut down men for no reason.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:55 pm

WittyUsername wrote:What if him hugging girls and kissing them on the cheek wasn’t meant to be sexual on his part, but was simply him trying to be affectionate without realizing that some of these girls might have personal boundaries? I’m not saying that’s the case, but what if it is?
Why does that matter?

Understanding that people have personal boundaries is basic social interaction, man. Being an affectionate person doesn't give you, me, Vic Mignogna or anyone else a pass to intimately hug/kiss/face-cuddle random underage girls -- seriously, what the fuck? I'm already cringing just proofreading that sentence. Why would anyone believe this behavior is warranted under any circumstance, especially given the vast multitude of eyewitness testimonies that these girls never even asked for it?

This is unacceptable and completely unprofessional. This is not how you conduct yourself with your fan following.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:58 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:What if him hugging girls and kissing them on the cheek wasn’t meant to be sexual on his part, but was simply him trying to be affectionate without realizing that some of these girls might have personal boundaries? I’m not saying that’s the case, but what if it is?
Why does that matter?

Understanding that people have personal boundaries is basic social interaction, man. Being an affectionate person doesn't give you, me, Vic Mignogna or anyone else a pass to intimately hug/kiss/face-cuddle random underage girls -- seriously, what the fuck? I'm already cringing just proofreading that sentence. Why would anyone believe this behavior is warranted under any circumstance, especially given the vast multitude of eyewitness testimonies that these girls never even asked for it?

This is unacceptable and completely unprofessional. This is not how you conduct yourself with your fan following.
When did I ever say it gives him or anyone else a pass? I specifically said that he should obviously be expected to apologize for something like that. I was simply asking if he deserved the same kind of scrutiny if he didn’t intend for his interactions to be sexual in anyway. Basically, I was asking what should be done if he was simply unaware that what he was doing made people uncomfortable. It was a simple question. Why do you have to react that way to me simply asking what other people had to say on the matter?

By the way, I think any kind of physical interaction with someone is wrong, whether it’s kissing, hugging, or even shaking hands. If you don’t know a person, don’t touch the person. In fact, don’t touch the person even if you do know them. I personally would probably punch someone’s lights out if I was given a kiss on the cheek.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:12 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I was simply asking if he deserved the same kind of scrutiny if he didn’t intend for his interactions to be sexual in anyway.
You asked what I previously quoted, which is what I answered. I'm not reacting to you, I'm reacting to the absurdity of the situation and how people have tried to construe it as defensible on the basis of him not knowing better.

By the way, the answer to your question in the quote above is "yes". Yes, he does. Again, basic social skills.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:19 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I was simply asking if he deserved the same kind of scrutiny if he didn’t intend for his interactions to be sexual in anyway.
You asked what I previously quoted, which is what I answered. I'm not reacting to you, I'm reacting to the absurdity of the situation and how people have tried to construe it as defensible on the basis of him not knowing better.

By the way, the answer to your question in the quote above is "yes". Yes, he does. Again, basic social skills.
I think if it was all intensive purposes were acts of innocents he should always ask first, and even still it's creepy given the age, tho he did it to a 27 year old as well https://twitter.com/kellyonelani/status ... 4736149504

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:22 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:

By the way, the answer to your question in the quote above is "yes". Yes, he does.
I wasn’t trying to construe anything as being defensible. I think physical contact of any kind is disgusting. Again, I would beat the shit out of someone who pecked me on the cheek or tried to hug me, but I’m also the kind of person who thinks that flirting of any kind is sexual harassment, so for all I knew, I could’ve just been a weirdo on the matter. I was simply trying to see where other people would draw the line.

Let me be clear: I’m not defending Mignogna. I’m not, so please don’t talk about how much I make you cringe.

TheLegend23
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegend23 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:23 pm

Disgusting, I can’t believe some of the comments I’m reading here right now.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:32 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Let me be clear: I’m not defending Mignogna. I’m not, so please don’t talk about how much I make you cringe.
And let me be clear: I'm not attacking you. I don't know why you seem convinced that I am. The "proofreading" word implies I was referring to my own previous sentence when I said I was cringing, not anything you posted.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 pm

I keep checking the social media of certain production companies (and certain individuals).
Nothing from Funimation.
Nothing from RoosterTeeth, especially from Miles Luna and Kerry Shawcross (writers for RWBY - the series in which Mignogna voices Qrow Branwen).
Nothing from Michele Specht (was engaged to Mignogna, not sure if they broke up sometime before this, though).
Last edited by ShadowBardock89 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote: Let me be clear: I’m not defending Mignogna. I’m not, so please don’t talk about how much I make you cringe.
And let me be clear: I'm not attacking you. I don't know why you seem convinced that I am. The "proofreading" word should have told you that I was referring to my previous sentence when I said I was cringing, not anything you posted.
Alright. My mistake then. I guess I was just being defensive because you happened to have been quoting me, and I assumed that meant everything you were saying was in direct response to me.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:01 pm

I have already said it once and will say again that my comment on the first page was not made in bad faith nor for any intentional malicious purpose, it was a naive and rather ignorant post on my part that was not thought out very well. So if it indeed came off as being interpreted that way by other people aside from VegettoEX then i most sincerely apologize because it certainly wasn't in any way my intention to make light of such a serious issue as this, i suppose you could say that i'm one of those who really doesn't grasp the full gravity of it all and just typed my post without having a full understanding of the true depth of the matter.

Again, my apologies if people thought of it in that way but under no circumstances was that what i had intended. Just wanted to set the record straight on this thing.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)