Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Sin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:45 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I've been following the stories surrounding Vic Mignogna for the last few days, and all the evidence and testimonies against Vic -- which have spanning for over a decade -- is incredibly damning. I know that people who are positions of power and/or have a large and strong following can often abuse the privileges they have for their own twisted personal desires, but I didn't think that it would bleed into an aspect that concerns voice actors for Dragon Ball.

This is all incredibly disheartening and I can only hope that the proper measures are taken and justice is served for the victims.
This is pretty much how I feel. I always thought he seemed eccentric, and I suppose that is how he is going to excuse his behaviour, but it's 2019 and he definitely knows better. I genuinely feel sorry for those who have had this experience with him, even if they don't realise it for what it was, and also for his fans who he has let down. How anyone can try and mute this topic with innocent until proven guilty logic needs to stop thinking with such a rigid, outdated model of thought. If it was one wild unfounded accusation you can argue that perhaps it was untrue, but Vic's gone full on Spacey with his response, trying to re-direct the situation to be about him and how hes just an overly friendly guy and didn't know better.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:51 am

Wow.
I expected the Funimation Forums not having any discussion on this (the forum is kind of dead over there, sadly), but there is nothing from Rooster Teeth's feed, blogs, or forums either!
The last forum post over there happened a month ago!
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:21 am

The dude's done a lot of work in a lot of projects. As far as I know the Western/American anime industry hasn't had a scandal of this level before, that's probably why so many companies like Funimation haven't publicly responded. They could also be sticking their heads in the sand hoping it will blow over, but it's looking more and more likely that it won't.

For what it's worth, apparently a number of conventions have started cancelling Vic's appearances, which could be enough to ruin him by itself given how dependent many VAs are on those gigs. The fact that this stuff has been going on and was known to a number of insiders is disheartening on it's own. Cons should have stopped inviting him years ago, especially considering he was apparently also a massive prima donna. At least now word is getting out there and there will hopefully be some justice.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:26 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:I am the last person on Earth to pay attention to dubs and anything related to it, but it came to my attention and I believe this deserves attention. An A-list actor, from what I have heard of him has been getting away with gross behaviour for years. Here's the full article with the victims' statements.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... na/.142212

It is also related to DB cause he is the Eng voice actor of Broli.
Not an actor, a voice actor. That's like saying adult film stars are actors as well.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:01 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:I am the last person on Earth to pay attention to dubs and anything related to it, but it came to my attention and I believe this deserves attention. An A-list actor, from what I have heard of him has been getting away with gross behaviour for years. Here's the full article with the victims' statements.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... na/.142212

It is also related to DB cause he is the Eng voice actor of Broli.
Not an actor, a voice actor. That's like saying adult film stars are actors as well.
Actors are actors, whether it's behind a mic or fucking somebody else for a living. Also, Mignogna does stage and screen acting as well as writing and directing.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:31 am

I'm suddenly reminded of JewWario case, it was even worse there, victims were afraid to speak, since he commited suicide, and Channel Awesome higher ups reminded silent.

I'm one of those people, where when author/autor did something bad, i can no longer enjoy their product, and i vote with wallet and boycott products they made/are in.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:36 am

Reading the article, I don't see how anything he did constitutes sexual assault, as some people are saying in this very thread. Creepy behavior and an indifference or ignorance toward personal boundaries, at the most; worthy of a slap on the wrist, but not the kind of ostracization he's being subject to. He seems to be guilty of being a creep, which is not all-together uncommon among men his age.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:55 am

First of all, y'alls that keep calling Mike out, no one has been banned for disagreeing with him, even in this thread. He's just made counter arguments in disagreement. You guys are acting like him stating his own opinion is censorious or something and that's ridiculous on it's face.

Second of all the 'innocent until proven guilty' argument, which I am generally in favor of, is academic at this point for this case. ANN gave us reasonable proof here, which is even consistent to Vic's OWN statement on the matter. To still stand on that means you don't want evidence, you don't WANT to believe people.

The deeper question I find is what do you do with this? I don't have an answer for that myself yet.
Last edited by laserkid on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Laserkid

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:57 am

Doctor. wrote:Reading the article, I don't see how anything he did constitutes sexual assault, as some people are saying in this very thread. Creepy behavior and an indifference or ignorance toward personal boundaries, at the most; worthy of a slap on the wrist, but not the kind of ostracization he's being subject to. He seems to be guilty of being a creep, which is not all-together uncommon among men his age.
The reason it's not uncommon is precisely because a lot get away with just a slap on the wrist.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:01 am

Michsi wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Reading the article, I don't see how anything he did constitutes sexual assault, as some people are saying in this very thread. Creepy behavior and an indifference or ignorance toward personal boundaries, at the most; worthy of a slap on the wrist, but not the kind of ostracization he's being subject to. He seems to be guilty of being a creep, which is not all-together uncommon among men his age.
The reason it's not uncommon is precisely because a lot get away with just a slap on the wrist.
That's not the point. Older men are inherently creepy to younger women. It's entirely a case of perception. I'm not defending his actions, mostly because I don't care enough to do so, but I feel like the accusations are overblown.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:12 am

Doctor. wrote:
Michsi wrote:
That's not the point. Older men are inherently creepy to younger women. It's entirely a case of perception. I'm not defending his actions, mostly because I don't care enough to do so, but I feel like the accusations are overblown.

The core of the problem here is not his age. Whether you're in your twenties or fifties you are still expected to be decent. As you can see in the thread, it's not just young women that have issues with this sort of behavior.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:16 am

Doctor. wrote:That's not the point. Older men are inherently creepy to younger women.
Only when they make unwanted sexual passes at them. And that's pretty universally creepy behavior, regardless of the age of the man in question.

What Mignogna (most overwhelmingly likely, given the evidence) did absolutely and unquestionably would constitute as sexual assault under ANY legal terms (unwanted kissing and groping), and these are more than ample enough grounds for FAR worse for him than just a mere "slap on the wrist". Just because he didn't actually penetrate any of the girls doesn't in any way mean that this doesn't qualify as sexual assault, and I find it frankly both comically absurd as well as genuinely unsettling that there are seemingly educated, intelligent people like yourself who appear to actually need such elementary, grade school-level basic social norms explained to you.

That unwanted groping and kissing are still a form of sexual assault (under both legal as well as general societal standards and definitions) is not exactly news to most people in 2019. Hell, it wouldn't be news to anyone in 1989 or even 1979 either. That so many men (particularly those in positions of even meager power) have been able to get away with it without repercussion for so long is nothing less than an abject and inexcusable failure on our end as a broader society rather than some "radical new standard" we're all of a sudden applying out of the blue.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:24 am

Doctor. wrote:
Michsi wrote:
I'm sorry, what? He is 46 and some of these accusations date back, is that really old? Irregardless of that I don't see how older men are inherently creepy to younger women, that's a sweeping statement which has no basis in anything factual. He's creepy to younger women because of insistence to make physical contact with them despite protest or lack of consent in the allegations.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:56 am

Doctor. wrote:Creepy behavior and an indifference or ignorance toward personal boundaries, at the most; worthy of a slap on the wrist, but not the kind of ostracization he's being subject to.
I find your position about unwanted sexual advances for well over a decade being worthy of "a slap on the wrist" to be incredibly ignorant at best and deeply unsettling at worst.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Men have been getting away with abusing others sexually for years and it's a big reason why victims are afraid to come out. Imagine being called a whore or otherwise blamed for seducing the perpetrator rather than being seen as a victim? It happens all the time, especially to those victims that testify at trial.

--Julie
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:02 pm

Welp. It's gonna be a little weird seeing the dubbed version of DBS: Broli this weekend.

I've heard stuff of this ilk about Mignogna on and off for years. Even if you do take him at his word that kissing fans is a "no different from family members"-type deal for him... dude. 15-year-old strangers are not your aunt Betty. He's either a creep or so drastically lacking in situational awareness that that excuse is in some ways just as damning.

That video of him telling off the evangelical whack-jobs outside a con made me think I may have judged him too soon, but yikes.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:11 pm

Alright, I know I said I was going to be leaving this thread, but there’s just one more thing I should point out regarding actors who have worked with FUNimation. Didn’t James Marsters start dating his current wife when she was just barely 18? Apart from that, didn’t he also write a love song about a 17 year old co-star of his?

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:14 pm

Just stumbled upon this video of Vic telling a story of how he relented and let a young female fan lick his hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTlTSbkCsMM

Massively creepy given everything that has come out.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:24 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Alright, I know I said I was going to be leaving this thread, but there’s just one more thing I should point out regarding actors who have worked with FUNimation. Didn’t James Marsters start dating his current wife when she was just barely 18? Apart from that, didn’t he also write a love song about a 17 year old co-star of his?
Consenting relations between people above the age of consent are of no concern here. Unless it's an abusive relationship or anything else nasty like that, I hardly see a problem. Judge such things if you like, but it's really none of our business.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:30 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Alright, I know I said I was going to be leaving this thread, but there’s just one more thing I should point out regarding actors who have worked with FUNimation. Didn’t James Marsters start dating his current wife when she was just barely 18? Apart from that, didn’t he also write a love song about a 17 year old co-star of his?
Consenting relations between people above the age of consent are of no concern here. Unless it's an abusive relationship or anything else nasty like that, I hardly see a problem. Judge such things if you like, but a consenting relationship between two people above legal age with no hint of any abuse or anything like that is really none of our business.
I mean, I understand that in many parts of the world, including many parts of the United States, 16 is the legal age of consent, but still, doesn’t it seem just a bit creepy for a 40 year old man to be writing a love song about someone who isn’t even old enough to vote?