Do We Have Any Indication Of Android 18 Actually Getting Stronger Since The Androids Saga?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Do We Have Any Indication Of Android 18 Actually Getting Stronger Since The Androids Saga?

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:11 pm

Has Android 18 gotten any noticeably stronger than she had been in the Androids Saga, like between the events of the Cell Games Saga and the events of the Universal Survival Saga?

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Do We Have Any Indication Of Android 18 Actually Getting Stronger Since The Androids Saga?

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Well, she's trained with Krillin for an unknown amount, at least for both the World Tournament in the Buu Saga and the ToP, so she has to be. Enough to at least kick a heavily suppressed SSB Goku's Kamehameha away. If Android 17 can get stronger, she definitely can too

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do We Have Any Indication Of Android 18 Actually Getting Stronger Since The Androids Saga?

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:18 pm

Honestly by my view of what Super showed us, that at least after the Fight in the ToP with Ribrianne 18 got not only a momentary power boost but likely a permit one.

What I like about the ToP and threw the power boost 18 got was that it was a power-up that was different then just training harder or recover from battle, but one based on an Emotion Spectrum, in this Case LOVE, showing now their are different paths to power in the DB Mythos and different ways to get stronger.

I feel it gave 18 some character development too by clarifying within herself in who she fights for and using that as new power of Love for her family going forward. :angel:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:10 am

In the anime, I believe it's suggested she's been training on and off.

In the manga, there's no implication or statement of such. In fact, there's only about one strength-related statement to her name. I don't remember any significant feats of hers either. She takes on Ribrianne, but the two never have a full-on brawl, and then Ribrianne basically gives up after seeing Krillin is married to her. Then 18 is knocked off the stage, so she didn't do much of note, unlike the anime.
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:20 am

Probably but not to any serious degree like her brother. With this series, I think it’s safe to assume everyone trains regularly unless they say otherwise (like Gohan) or have undergone special, exceptional training (like 17...or Gohan).

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:19 am

Kataphrut wrote:Probably but not to any serious degree like her brother. With this series, I think it’s safe to assume everyone trains regularly unless they say otherwise (like Gohan) or have undergone special, exceptional training (like 17...or Gohan).
I must have missed something, I only watched the Anime and didn't read the Manga.
What kind of special training did 17 get?
Fighting off poachers?

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:36 am

SsjCookie wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Probably but not to any serious degree like her brother. With this series, I think it’s safe to assume everyone trains regularly unless they say otherwise (like Gohan) or have undergone special, exceptional training (like 17...or Gohan).
I must have missed something, I only watched the Anime and didn't read the Manga.
Fighting off poachers?
As in, his training and power boost was narratively significant enough to warrant mention. Same with Gohan, Freeza and arguably Krillin in Super. Meanwhile 18 is in the same camp as Tien and Piccolo- "look, they're stronger enough to fight in this tournament, ok? Don't worry about it."

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:09 am

Kataphrut wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:
Fighting off poachers?
As in, his training and power boost was narratively significant enough to warrant mention. Same with Gohan, Freeza and arguably Krillin in Super. Meanwhile 18 is in the same camp as Tien and Piccolo- "look, they're stronger enough to fight in this tournament, ok? Don't worry about it."

You don't need really a special mention for characters like Tien and Piccolo because it's fully established in the story that they have dedicated their lives to martial arts and are always training. Piccolo reaffirms this clearly when he and Gohan train together for the TOP. The reason statements that circumstantiate their power were necessary for characters such as Krillin, 18 and Gohan was because, like in Roshi's case, the story depicted them as having given up training or pursuing greater strength. Freeza and 17 had bigger roles to fulfill so their increase in power needed a bit more explanation. (though we never really got any for 17 as far as I'm aware)

As for 18, I was always under the impression that her main strength lies in the endless energy reserves she has, which gives her endurance and nonstop power, but otherwise is pretty much at the same level she was in the Cell saga.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:24 am

Michsi wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:
Fighting off poachers?

You don't need really a special mention for characters like Tien and Piccolo because it's fully established in the story that they have dedicated their lives to martial arts and are always training. Piccolo reaffirms this clearly when he and Gohan train together for the TOP. The reason statements that circumstantiate their power were necessary for characters such as Krillin, 18 and Gohan was because, like in Roshi's case, the story depicted them as having given up training or pursuing greater strength. Freeza and 17 had bigger roles to fulfill so their increase in power needed a bit more explanation. (though we never really got any for 17 as far as I'm aware)

As for 18, I was always under the impression that her main strength lies in the endless energy reserves she has, which gives her endurance and nonstop power, but otherwise is pretty much at the same level she was in the Cell saga.
That's more or less what I'm saying. But characters like 18 and Piccolo don't get the "you've gotten stronger" treatment because so far the story hasn't called for it. Tien constantly trains, 18 probably does too, but narratively they might as well be where they left off in the Cell saga. With Piccolo, I found it interesting that when he fought Gohan in training and beat him in SS2, that might actually be the first time he's displayed feats that put him above the Cell saga.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:43 am

Kataphrut wrote:
That's more or less what I'm saying. But characters like 18 and Piccolo don't get the "you've gotten stronger" treatment because so far the story hasn't called for it. Tien constantly trains, 18 probably does too, but narratively they might as well be where they left off in the Cell saga. With Piccolo, I found it interesting that when he fought Gohan in training and beat him in SS2, that might actually be the first time he's displayed feats that put him above the Cell saga.

That's literally what happened in that Gohan training episode, though. You are right that it's nothing more than a comment, in an episode dedicated to someone else's return to power, no less, but the show wanted the viewers to know he had indeed been training and he gotten stronger. With 18 it's a bit more tricky than that because 1. she has never shown genuine interest in fighting, 2. seems content to live a normal human life.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:48 am

doesn't she uses Kienzan in the anime?

it would suggest she improved in fighting skill if not in pure power

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:17 am

ankokudaishogun wrote:doesn't she uses Kienzan in the anime?

it would suggest she improved in fighting skill if not in pure power
She already used Kienzan back in the Buu arc in all media.
#18's ki aura is the only indication she has gotten stronger, because she and #17 never had them before.
And even that might just be a weird Toei-ism.