"It's Goku...but Broly, call me Kakaroth"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zamasuthebest

"It's Goku...but Broly, call me Kakaroth"

Post by zamasuthebest » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:03 am

At the end of the movie, in the english dub Goku says this awesome phrase ("It's Goku...but Broly, call me Kakaroth"), but the in the original version things are different.
Goku says only ""Son Gokou. Soredemo... Kakarotto!" that means "Son Goku...or Kakaroth".

Which version do you prefer more? In other words, which version do you think is more evocative?

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "It's Goku...but Broly, call me Kakaroth"

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:30 am

I think the Subbed version is played more straight, whereas the Dub is a bit more a tongue and cheek reference to our old, Kakarot shouting version of Broly. I think the intention is to kind of bring everything around from the beginning of the film with Goku's heritage. And to me, even though Gine's final words of "Dont forget us, Kakarot!" were tragically unfulfilled, the fact that Goku acknowledges himself as "Kakarot" is a sign he hasn't forgotten who or what he truly is

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:15 am

I was watching the Kai dub the other day and lost my shit when King Kai says something along the lines of "this might as well be written in Japanese."

I think there's a real skill in localising translations in such a way to appeal to a specific audience, rather than just translating the original text as best possible, that a lot of the community doesn't give enough credit for. Some things are literally impossible to translate - like most jokes, but othertimes changes can appeal to specific cultures or their relationship with the text and I think that's... Awesome? I really hate it when people poo-poo dub changes. If you want it to be as perfect translation as possible - watch the original with subs?

I was surprised to hear Freeza's "Hello Monkeys!" was a dub change, it's a great one that really sets him up as an awful pos and acknowledges him as Epic Space Hitler. Which I guess is more appropriate for the massively ethnically diverse, Western audience than it is to the Japanese audience who are, well, almost exclusively Japanese. That line got an awesome reaction from my audience - a mix of awkward laughter, head-shaking and oooohs.

Localisations are so cool - I'm fascinated with the weird Portuguese dub. But the original English dubs must seem SO strange to other cultures!
MKCSTEALTH wrote:And to me, even though Gine's final words of "Dont forget us, Kakarot!" were tragically unfulfilled, the fact that Goku acknowledges himself as "Kakarot" is a sign he hasn't forgotten who or what he truly is
I agree! It's almost more a reference to Gine's tragic cry than it is to the out-of-universe reference it make to the fandom in the English dub.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:52 am

saiyanhajime wrote:Portuguese dub
They've dubbed it in Portuguese or do you mean Brazilian-Portuguese? Kind of interested either way but FUNimation's English dub is easily their best English DB dub yet.

Besides, Japanese/English I'm very excited to watch it it Castillan as well.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:31 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
saiyanhajime wrote:Portuguese dub
They've dubbed it in Portuguese or do you mean Brazilian-Portuguese? Kind of interested either way but FUNimation's English dub is easily their best English DB dub yet.

Besides, Japanese/English I'm very excited to watch it it Castillan as well.
Oh no not the Broly movie, sorry for being confusing, I was talking generically about how weird the European Portuguese dub of Dragon Ball is and how interesting that is.

I agree - Funimation's work on the Broly movie is actually jaw-droppingly good. Everyone does an incredible job at selling the emotion necessary. It's mad.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:33 am

^ The Portuguese dubs have always been pretty weird and unprofessional, but The Path to Power dub was actually surprising really good. Worth checking it out if you haven't, Saiyan Hajime.

As for the OP, "Kakaroth"? He said Kakarot, clearly.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:46 am

I prefer the original one. Actually, considering the English dub has a long history of changing a lot from the original, the original is always better if you don't want to have a misleading information.

For this case specifically, it's better "and also... Kakarot" because Goku isn't telling straight to Broly that he alone can call him that. Goku is saying that he embraces his Saiyan heritage and other people other than Vegeta can call him that too.

Gine's "don't forget about us" is kinda straightforward too. Obviously meant to be some "irony of destiny", later on Goku hits his head and forgets about them. Don't like that. As I said, I prefer the original, simply yelling "Kakarot" which has way more impact overall.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~