"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:49 am

Drove 140 kilometres too and from the cinema to see the movie and was blown away by the action scenes. DB has never had action this good.

For the animation highlights of the film, I noted as follows.

Naoki Tate’s fusion dance contributions made up the most lively character acting scenes in the movie, and were just bouncing with life. No idea about the complaints aimed for this scene, I think his character art was easily one of the strongest renditions of Shintani’s style in the movie, giving the characters a perfect natural though feeling, which was emphasised by the snappiness of his timing, which to me made the characters just seem to fall into the most natural and appealing poses.

Onishi, Hayashi and Umakoshi’s scene were my favourite bits in terms of action. Onishi’s bounciness and the sheer complexity of everything in Onishi’s cut was literally a cut above everyone else’s contributions in the film. Loved it from the camera, to the choreography, easily the best animated DB thing ever. Hayashi and Umakoshi’s were the highlights of the final fight for me. Hayashi’s scene was insanely impactful and intense and I immensely enjoyed the awesome poses that were emphasised in his scene. Umakoshi’s scene was short, but I loved the intensity of it, and I think it did an absolutely fantastic job of selling the drama of that scene(gaudy my ass).

I heard that there were a few scenes that people had a hard time following in the action, and while I don’t think this problem was prevalent for the majority of the action, there were definitely two scenes in the action I personally thought were hard to follow. These being Yuichi Karasawa’s scene in Broly vs Super Saiyan Vegeta, and the first half of Shida’s scene that covered base and super saiyan Gogeta fighting Broly. Karasawa’s scene didn’t feel inbetweened enough, and as a result, it was hard for the key poses in the choreography were hard to read, and although I enjoyed Shida’s second scene in the latter half of the fight, I felt his first scene could only be described as a massive fucking clusterfuck when I saw it on the big screen.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:54 am

Visually speaking, the movie was the best Dragon Ball has ever looked. The best scene in the movie was when Goku fought Broly in the ice mountain area. The POV of Broly fighting Goku was thing of a beauty.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:54 am

Movie was stunning overall, the fight scenes were gorgeous.
I found the CGI to be quite jarring, and I actually have a complaint with the art in one scene in particular, the fusion dance scene, it picked up during the poses, but prior to that Gokus muscles looked as if they had been deflated. That stood out to me, and I found that part ugly mainly because of that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:20 am

SSG Goku not having laces red as per designs, intentional? Goof? I was berating Bandai for not making them red the other day but looks like they actually were right not too!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:42 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Not the appropriate thread, but I feel it's more likely to get a response here: do we know who did the sound effects for this? Was it Arai?
It was the Super guy.
The sound effects were awful.
I was afraid about the sound effects. Does anybody know why they won't use their classic DBZ sounds? That too was a big part into giving DBZ it's legendary status.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:40 pm

Does anyone know what scene Koudai Watanabe worked on? He’s one of my favourite animators working at Toei and I couldn’t recognise anything from the film that resembled his work.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:50 pm

Miracles wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
majinwarman wrote: It was the Super guy.
I was afraid about the sound effects. Does anybody know why they won't use their classic DBZ sounds? That too was a big part into giving DBZ it's legendary status.
The guy from Super was fine and the reason why you won’t get the sound effects from Z is because the man works on One Piece now.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:35 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Does anyone know what scene Koudai Watanabe worked on? He’s one of my favourite animators working at Toei and I couldn’t recognise anything from the film that resembled his work.
Cheelai running with Lemo in the ending
kill me

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:53 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Miracles wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
The guy from Super was fine and the reason why you won’t get the sound effects from Z is because the man works on One Piece now.
Yeah, basically one piece use a lot of the old DBZ sound effects, that's a shame.
But still, why is the guy relevant on this, don't they have an archive of sounds or something to reuse?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:19 pm

cuartas wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Miracles wrote: I was afraid about the sound effects. Does anybody know why they won't use their classic DBZ sounds? That too was a big part into giving DBZ it's legendary status.
Yeah, basically one piece use a lot of the old DBZ sound effects, that's a shame.
But still, why is the guy relevant on this, don't they have an archive of sounds or something to reuse?
Exactly. I was watching the DBZ Japanese clips and Super's sound effects don't compare. I believe not using them takes away Dragonball's ability to be the best it can be. Especially when those unique sound effects is part of the classic DBZ vibe that everyone is familiar with.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Miracles wrote:
cuartas wrote:
majinwarman wrote: The guy from Super was fine and the reason why you won’t get the sound effects from Z is because the man works on One Piece now.
Exactly. I was watching the DBZ Japanese clips and Super's sound effects don't compare. I believe not using them takes away Dragonball's ability to be the best it can be. Especially when those unique sound effects is part of the classic DBZ vibe that everyone is familiar with.
I don’t really mind the new sound effects but I understand why you miss them. It is what it is and we must just accept it.
Majinwarman

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:42 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Miracles wrote:
cuartas wrote: Yeah, basically one piece use a lot of the old DBZ sound effects, that's a shame.
I don’t really mind the new sound effects but I understand why you miss them. It is what it is and we must just accept it.
You are right. I'm kinda sore over it tho, lol.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:27 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Miracles wrote:
cuartas wrote: Yeah, basically one piece use a lot of the old DBZ sound effects, that's a shame.
I really miss the teleportation sound effect, not Goku's technique, but the one where they move from one place to another in high speed, it was replaced by a horrible sound effect tbh, it kinda ruins the animation behind it

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:34 pm

BakaManiaHD wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Does anyone know what scene Koudai Watanabe worked on? He’s one of my favourite animators working at Toei and I couldn’t recognise anything from the film that resembled his work.
Cheelai running with Lemo in the ending
That Cheelai was super cute!

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:27 pm

Miracles wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Miracles wrote: Exactly. I was watching the DBZ Japanese clips and Super's sound effects don't compare. I believe not using them takes away Dragonball's ability to be the best it can be. Especially when those unique sound effects is part of the classic DBZ vibe that everyone is familiar with.
You are right. I'm kinda sore over it tho, lol.
Glad to see people being civilized for once. I haven’t seen it here for a while.
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Ajay, does the OP ever plan to be updated again? I totally understand how labouring it can be to keep an OP up to date, I begrudgingly update the merch thread every month now aha, but are you waiting to gather all the information and update it in one fell swoop?

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Ajay, does the OP ever plan to be updated again? I totally understand how labouring it can be to keep an OP up to date, I begrudgingly update the merch thread every month now aha, but are you waiting to gather all the information and update it in one fell swoop?
I think Ajay will updated it but not now.
Majinwarman

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:49 am

I just saw the film. I'm no animation expert so I don't know if I should be posting here but I thought it was a mess. Extremely dynamic but the constantly changing art style was noticeable. One scene the characters are drawn with no detail and kind of chubby like with less muscle, the next it's an extremely detailed scene with a lot of shading (the way I was expecting it to be with all the hype). It didn't work at all. Then it reverts back to the "cheaper art" style. I would have thought someone at Toei would make sure the styles were consistent in the final product.

Another major complaint. The weird line thicknesses. The line art didn't look clean and added to that inconsistent/rough finish I was talking about.

Consistency is key. I don't want every scene done by a different animator to have a different art style. I also would've liked to see my continuous hand to hand combat. Less of them throwing a few punches and then flying to a different spot and repeating the same thing. The CG was decent. Probably not good enough to justify it being used over regular hand-drawn animation ever again.

Final thoughts: Animation was fantastic. Changing art style was noticeable. CG disappointing.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Timetraveller wrote:I just saw the film. I'm no animation expert so I don't know if I should be posting here but I thought it was a mess. Extremely dynamic but the constantly changing art style was noticeable. One scene the characters are drawn with no detail and kind of chubby like with less muscle, the next it's an extremely detailed scene with a lot of shading (the way I was expecting it to be with all the hype). It didn't work at all. Then it reverts back to the "cheaper art" style. I would have thought someone at Toei would make sure the styles were consistent in the final product.

Another major complaint. The weird line thicknesses. The line art didn't look clean and added to that inconsistent/rough finish I was talking about.

Consistency is key. I don't want every scene done by a different animator to have a different art style. I also would've liked to see my continuous hand to hand combat. Less of them throwing a few punches and then flying to a different spot and repeating the same thing. The CG was decent. Probably not good enough to justify it being used over regular hand-drawn animation ever again.

Final thoughts: Animation was fantastic. Changing art style was noticeable. CG disappointing.
Honestly, yes, I missed some good hand to hand combat old school style, maybe inheriting some traits from Masunaga combined with the cool angles the movie had.
Ironically, the only part of the movie which had a small portion of hand to hand combat was made by Tate, the guy you noticed with the chubby style

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:22 am

cuartas wrote:
Timetraveller wrote:I just saw the film. I'm no animation expert so I don't know if I should be posting here but I thought it was a mess. Extremely dynamic but the constantly changing art style was noticeable. One scene the characters are drawn with no detail and kind of chubby like with less muscle, the next it's an extremely detailed scene with a lot of shading (the way I was expecting it to be with all the hype). It didn't work at all. Then it reverts back to the "cheaper art" style. I would have thought someone at Toei would make sure the styles were consistent in the final product.

Honestly, yes, I missed some good hand to hand combat old school style, maybe inheriting some traits from Masunaga combined with the cool angles the movie had.
Ironically, the only part of the movie which had a small portion of hand to hand combat was made by Tate, the guy you noticed with the chubby style
There was also Vegeta vs Broly at the beginning. When Broly throws 3 punches, Vegeta backflips and counters with some cool kicks. I agree there wasn't enough of it. But I still loved the fighting choreography in all of the fights. (Except Shida's SSJ Broly vs SSJ Gogeta, it was too confusing and a mess overall).