Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:56 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:Then just watch/read DB and don't read the BTS stories.
Given how active the KickVic thing has been, these stories are pretty much impossible to avoid at this point. This thread alone is at nearly 40 pages, which I’d say is a testament to how prominent Vic Mignogna’s name has become. I know that we’re obviously supposed to seperate works of fiction from reality, but I’ve found that increasingly difficult to do lately. Thats why I think the best decision for myself is to take a break from Dragon Ball.
Don’t click on the thread if you don’t want to see it. Literally all you have to do.
This thread isn’t the problem. It’s the situation in general.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:44 am

AloversGaming wrote:The last thing anyone should be doing is taking GamerGaters that complain about SJW's seriously.
This. Times a couple trillion.

Anyone who can look at the current state of the world - with its mass poverty, children being gruesomely slaughtered in 3rd world countries, collapsing ecosystem, decaying democracies and economic systems held hostage by rampant corporate corruption, broken criminal justice systems and militarized police forces, etc - and seriously, passionately think that college feminists (even genuinely, legitimately "radical" ones who spend too much time on Tumblr and are indeed WAY too overzealous and absurdly unreasonable about gender issues) are one of the biggest problems currently facing society...

...anyone who's delusional enough to buy into that ridiculously deranged nonsense idea is full stop COMPLETELY disconnected and detached from reality and is among the dumbest, most belligerent fucking morons walking the face of the Earth. And if you take any of these ridiculous imbeciles in ANY way seriously, you're not very far behind them yourself.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:58 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
AloversGaming wrote:The last thing anyone should be doing is taking GamerGaters that complain about SJW's seriously.

Anyone who can look at the current state of the world - with its mass poverty, children being gruesomely slaughtered in 3rd world countries, collapsing ecosystem, decaying democracies and economic systems held hostage by rampant corporate corruption, broken criminal justice systems and militarized police forces, etc - and seriously, passionately think that college feminists (even genuinely, legitimately "radical" ones who spend too much time on Tumblr and are indeed WAY too overzealous and absurdly unreasonable about gender issues) are one of the biggest problems currently facing society...

...anyone who's delusional enough to buy into that ridiculously deranged nonsense idea is full stop COMPLETELY disconnected and detached from reality and is among the dumbest, most belligerent fucking morons walking the face of the Earth. And if you take any of these ridiculous imbeciles in ANY way seriously, you're not very far behind them yourself.
By the same token, isn't the controversy about an English anime voice actor insignificant compared to all of those problems?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:19 am

It is not insignificant though. It is part of a bigger problem which is sexual assault and power abuse. This VA is one of the many many people who get away with this kind of behaviour and in some cases outright rapists(Polanski for example) and I'd say that is a serious problem.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:21 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:It is not insignificant though. It is part of a bigger problem which is sexual assault and power abuse. This VA is one of the many many people who get away with this kind of behaviour and in some cases outright rapists(Polanski for example) and I'd say that is a serious problem.
Referring to just this individual case though.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:00 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:

Sjw are trash but they aren't the worst thing in the world. They're a first world problem.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Yasai11
Banned

Post by Yasai11 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:11 am

Scsigs wrote:
Yasai11 wrote:What the hell is going on with Vic? Based off what I've learned, I have more reason to believe he's innocent until there's solid evidence that he's guilty. However, I do believe that Funimation is just trying to cover their own asses by throwing Vic under the bus. They've been acting weird lately and must be hiding something illegal.
I mean, a LOT of companies are doing the same things to people under controversies. Netflix ditched Louis CK & Kevin Spacey when THEIR allegations came out. Disney, though they seem to have a sliding scale when it comes to these things because they forgave Vanessa Hudgens for her nude leaks back when High School Musical was still a thing, distanced themselves from James Gunn when HIS controversy came about. This isn't a new thing. Companies have been doing it for YEARS.
Here's the problem that I have: There's currently no evidence to suggest that Vic is actually guilty of the things people accused him of doing. Either the anime conventions, or Funimation messed up by not laying ground rules and are trying to save themselves by throwing Vic under the bus without investigating the claims first. There's a very good reason why most VAs join a unions, and it's to prevent themselves from being caught up in drama like this.

Did any of the accusers settle their claims in court, or even notify staff about this? Vic himself seems more like an upstanding guy who's overly affectionate. I have more reason to believe that Funimation is more guilty than Vic, and trying to hide something illegal. Also, Polygon and ANN aren't credible sources. They're just mouthbreathers with an agenda.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:20 am

Yasai11 wrote:
Here's the problem that I have: There's currently no evidence to suggest that Vic is actually guilty of the things people accused him of doing.
Aside from multiple testimonies regarding his inappropriate conduct that date back to at least 2010 if not earlier.

I’ll say it again. The idea that all these women have decided to make false accusations at the same anime voice actor pseudo celebrity is asinine. Not a single defense fans have come up with makes a lick of sense.

Either the anime conventions, or Funimation messed up by not laying ground rules
Because a grown ass man needs to be told to not hit on teenage girls and grab them so close

Did any of the accusers settle their claims in court, or even notify staff about this?
This whole thing has been thoroughly deconstructed and explained multiple times.

Vic himself seems more like an upstanding guy who's overly affectionate
I’m noticing a pattern with people bending over backwards for Vic
. I have more reason to believe that Funimation is more guilty than Vic, and trying to hide something illegal. .
I love conspiracy theorist

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:45 am

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... ir/.143203

Honestly, i dont know if i should believe it, Jamie Marchi is pretty famous, if he really did pulled her hair, she should spoke about earlier, I'm sure lots of people would believe her, including Funmation higher-ups, plus, she is pretty controversial for putting her political agenda into anime when she is dub director https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7tS0ziL7rg
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:57 am

coola wrote:https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... ir/.143203

Honestly, i dont know if i should believe it, Jamie Marchi is pretty famous, if he really did pulled her hair, she should spoke about earlier, I'm sure lots of people would believe her, including Funmation higher-ups, plus, she is pretty controversial for putting her political agenda into anime when she is dub director https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7tS0ziL7rg
The psychological trauma of sexual assault is very powerful.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 am

Yasai11 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Yasai11 wrote:What the hell is going on with Vic? Based off what I've learned, I have more reason to believe he's innocent until there's solid evidence that he's guilty. However, I do believe that Funimation is just trying to cover their own asses by throwing Vic under the bus. They've been acting weird lately and must be hiding something illegal.
I mean, a LOT of companies are doing the same things to people under controversies. Netflix ditched Louis CK & Kevin Spacey when THEIR allegations came out. Disney, though they seem to have a sliding scale when it comes to these things because they forgave Vanessa Hudgens for her nude leaks back when High School Musical was still a thing, distanced themselves from James Gunn when HIS controversy came about. This isn't a new thing. Companies have been doing it for YEARS.
Here's the problem that I have: There's currently no evidence to suggest that Vic is actually guilty of the things people accused him of doing. Either the anime conventions, or Funimation messed up by not laying ground rules and are trying to save themselves by throwing Vic under the bus without investigating the claims first. There's a very good reason why most VAs join a unions, and it's to prevent themselves from being caught up in drama like this.

Did any of the accusers settle their claims in court, or even notify staff about this? Vic himself seems more like an upstanding guy who's overly affectionate. I have more reason to believe that Funimation is more guilty than Vic, and trying to hide something illegal. Also, Polygon and ANN aren't credible sources. They're just mouthbreathers with an agenda.
The evidence is the multiple accounts and allegations against him from fans and fellow voice actors. If that many people and most of are unconnected are coming out then what on Earth makes you think Vic isn't guilty? What exactly do you think FUNimation are hiding? They haven't said anything regarding him and he has only been replaced on one dub for all we know could have been at the directors discretion not the company. It's quite clear that FUNi don't want to close the door on him completely yet but each day it's increasingly likely they might have too. It's the complete opposite of what you are saying. Why else do you think some people are still peeved that FUNi still haven't released a formal statement yet?

I don't think Vic is that important to FUNi anymore especially compared to folks like Monica so I think they do need to cut ties completely with him at this point.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:23 am

The idea that nothing should be done because there isn't uncompressed 4K footage of the incidents available to view is absolutely ridiculous.

When dozens of unassociated people make the same accusation about you over a multi-year span, you're as good as guilty as far as it concerns the people around you.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:46 am

Cursed Lemon wrote:The idea that nothing should be done because there isn't uncompressed 4K footage of the incidents available to view is absolutely ridiculous.

When dozens of unassociated people make the same accusation about you over a multi-year span, you're as good as guilty as far as it concerns the people around you.
Lately, the defense seems to be less 'all of these accusations are lies' and more 'maybe they're true but what he did wasn't all that bad'. Which is just as problematic, but in a completely different way.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Cursed Lemon wrote:The idea that nothing should be done because there isn't uncompressed 4K footage of the incidents available to view is absolutely ridiculous.

Lately, the defense seems to be less 'all of these accusations are lies' and more 'maybe they're true but what he did wasn't all that bad'. Which is just as problematic, but in a completely different way.
Lord, that sort of defense is the equally evil cousin to telling a woman that she should expect to get raped because of how she dresses. Yeesh.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Personally I won't accept any evidence unless it's in 8K 3D IMAX with full subtitles and dubbed by AB Groupe.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:34 pm

coola wrote:https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... ir/.143203

Being obnoxious about her politics doesn't automatically make her capable of being callous and vile enough to make a lie at that level to smear somebody's reputation. You guys are sounding really naive and just grasping at whatever ridiculous straws you can.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Just in case you guys need evidence that this isn't just a sudden witchhunt, here's a post about Vic on this forum made nearly 4 years ago:
Demon of Light wrote: Statutory rapist? You know what, I know exactly who GTx10 is referring to. There's plenty of trustworthy accounts (I've personally heard first hand accounts from people I know and trust) and even video evidence of this person being incredibly gross around underage girls. Even without the statutory rape accusations, this person is an absolutely terrible human being and has a bad attitude, to the point where they have been banned from appearing in several conventions for being a douche to both staff and fans.

I don't think I should be putting this person's name explicitly here, if only because I don't want to be the immediate instigator of needless drama. But trust me, if you have seen a Funi dub or played a Dragon Ball video game in English, you know this person, and there's a truth in what GTx10 is saying.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:51 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Personally I won't accept any evidence unless it's in 8K 3D IMAX with full subtitles and dubbed by AB Groupe.
I just burst out laughing at the idea of advertising a blu-ray release of Vic Mignogna groping people.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Shaddy wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
I just burst out laughing at the idea of advertising a blu-ray release of Vic Mignogna groping people.
If FUNimation is the ones's distributing it, it may take a while to get released.

Boku no Hitto

Post by Boku no Hitto » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:18 pm

When they actually have photo evidence, or something caught on video this doesn't mean Jack shit. Most if not all of these "claims" happened at cons/meet and greets. Never been to one myself but I'm sure there's dozens of adults, security and chaperone's and none of them spoke up when these events took place? No one notified staff? You just go days, weeks, months, years at a time to wake up and be like "huh.. I think I was raped?" Nah it doesn't work like that. Not in the real world. Plus ANN's "photo evidence" was debunked by the fans in question so they have even less of a ground to stand on.

My brother was molested by my step dad and his home boy when I was around 3. One of my uncle's was an air Force major at the time and pushed for a rape kit and found signs of forced entry but no bodily fluids. We thanked my brothers lucky stars cuz dude had been to jail previously and had an STD with no visible signs(forgot what the actual term for that is). The friend dipped but my step dad almost got killed the next night when my uncle's found him, pretty sure he died in jail later cuz Arkansas jails don't play that shit.

If anyone takes these sorts of allegations seriously it's me, but I still want the goddamn evidence first before anyone gets prosecuted or lives are ruined. Heresay means Jack and shit in the court of law.