Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Post by Tian » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Does this mean the opening is gonna be redubbed?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:26 am

Could you PLEASE give us some context or explain the situation?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:34 am

I'll admit, I'm a little behind with what's going on with your guys' dub, what happened for Feist to get himself possibly blacklisted?

Also, yeah, what's up with that unlisted youtube video? Is it something do with that contest Gafonso6 posted about? Are they testing the waters for new/ different voices for Broly and/or for episodes 105+ or even a possible full redub? So many strange developments going on here.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:58 am

wjbraden wrote:I'll admit, I'm a little behind with what's going on with your guys' dub, what happened for Feist to get himself possibly blacklisted?

Also, yeah, what's up with that unlisted youtube video? Is it something do with that contest Gafonso6 posted about? Are they testing the waters for new/ different voices for Broly and/or for episodes 105+ or even a possible full redub? So many strange developments going on here.
This:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42604

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:41 am

Okay, here's what I think.
For starters, Feist never got blacklisted, he had an opinion that I really don't agree with in terms of Masako Nozawa but his other criticisms were just facts and things that happen with anime and can be frustrating to international voice actors. There's no way in hell Toei Europe (the only branch of Toei that can affect Portugal in any way) saw that and there's no way they blacklisted him just because he had an opinion people don't like.
I also believe Feist and Spínola weren't replaced (even though I'm a bit scared). They were clearly supposed to be replaced, probably because of time constrainsts but they never were and the evidence is that they were ready to give the fans the possibility to choose the new voices with a contest but that contest never happened and I believe it was because Feist and Spínola got in at the very last minute, since that contest was ready for take off but never got off the ground.
Now we can only wait for a trailer and see.
Also, this is clearly Guilherme Barroso (Obito's portuguese voice), a great voice actor and was one of my main choices for Zamasu.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:04 am

Yup this confirms we'll have an horrible amateur dub for sure...
Edit: When I wrote this only the comment with the link appeared and I did an hot take.
Last edited by diogoarez on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:11 am

diogoarez wrote:Yup this confirms we'll have an horrible amateur dub for sure...
What? No it doesn't, this is a thing that never happened but was supposed to. We don't know why it was supposed to happen but it for sure doesn't confirm we'll have an amateur dub.

EDIT: Found what was supposed to be the page of the contest here. It's blocked to the public but clearly Biggs website is very flawed and doesn't fully block links to the public. I just want to know why this didn't happen, probably because Feist and Spínola got in but why was this even supposed to be a thing?
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:24 am

Gafonso6 wrote:
diogoarez wrote:Yup this confirms we'll have an horrible amateur dub for sure...
What? No it doesn't, this is a thing that never happened but was supposed to. We don't know why it was supposed to happen but it for sure doesn't confirm we'll have an amateur dub.

EDIT: Found what was supposed to be the page of the contest here. It's blocked to the public but clearly Biggs website is very flawed and doesn't fully block links to the public. I just want to know why this didn't happen, probably because Feist and Spínola got in but why was this even supposed to be a thing?
Sorry, it was an hot take, the voice isn't bad and now that you mention it seems like Guilherme Barroso, but damn I really want news soon so I can calm down a bit. I really hope the dubs are good

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:00 am

It made me chuckle but I like the VA's voice for Goku. Fits him.
Gafonso6 wrote:For starters, Feist never got blacklisted, he had an opinion that I really don't agree with in terms of Masako Nozawa but his other criticisms were just facts and things that happen with anime and can be frustrating to international voice actors. There's no way in hell Toei Europe (the only branch of Toei that can affect Portugal in any way) saw that and there's no way they blacklisted him just because he had an opinion people don't like.
"Criticism"

He went on a nonsensical rant about the original Goku VA and he should have been put on temporary suspension at the very least for doing so, he absolutely disrespected Masako Nozawa. Feist can only dream of of ever being as good as she is, and as popular as she is.

If Schemmel had said anything similar about Masako Nozawa you can bet he would be on hot water but the Portuguese dub? Anything goes. lol

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 am

If you click on "Participa" on that Biggs page you can see all the casting videos. Goku's are obviously very different from Feist bit the other three's are spot on.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:12 am

omegalucas wrote:If you click on "Participa" on that Biggs page you can see all the casting videos. Goku's are obviously very different from Feist bit the other three's are spot on.
Not anymore, looks like Biggs deleted every single trace of this ever being a thing. Wonder if it's because they already chose the new voices or if it's because Feist and Spínola are in. If it's the former I hope Goku is done by Guilherme Barroso since it's different but still very fitting (while the other option was just boring), the others I couldn't care less since they're just trying to be the old voices but both voices for Gohan sounded good. Wonder if they'll actually redub Super since they're recasting and using clips from Super.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:39 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
omegalucas wrote:If you click on "Participa" on that Biggs page you can see all the casting videos. Goku's are obviously very different from Feist bit the other three's are spot on.
Not anymore, looks like Biggs deleted every single trace of this ever being a thing. Wonder if it's because they already chose the new voices or if it's because Feist and Spínola are in. If it's the former I hope Goku is done by Guilherme Barroso since it's different but still very fitting (while the other option was just boring), the others I couldn't care less since they're just trying to be the old voices but both voices for Gohan sounded good. Wonder if they'll actually redub Super since they're recasting and using clips from Super.
Aren't the actors being a bit tight-lipped, tho? Also weirdly defensive when you consider Loy. The movie is a month away so with that amount of time remaining, you'd figure *something* would have come up so far. I'm leaning towards the redub scenario.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:42 pm

BlueChi wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
Aren't the actors being a bit tight-lipped, tho? Also weirdly defensive when you consider Loy. The movie is a month away so with that amount of time remaining, you'd figure *something* would have come up so far. I'm leaning towards the redub scenario.
Super's dub only began production two weeks before the premiere. Back then the problem was the negotiations with the cast.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:52 pm

omegalucas wrote:Super's dub only began production two weeks before the premiere. Back then the problem was the negotiations with the cast.
Had no idea about that. Talk about winging it as they went along.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:01 pm

BlueChi wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
Loy was always defensive with criticism that is not new. While Super's dub production was a mess movie dubs are taken more seriously and NDAs are always applied so I'm not surprised voice actors aren't saying anything.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:34 pm

Is there any way to currently watch those contest videos?

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Tian wrote:
wjbraden wrote:I'll admit, I'm a little behind with what's going on with your guys' dub, what happened for Feist to get himself possibly blacklisted?

This:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42604
Oh, thanks for the clarification. Even though his comment was in rather poor taste, I don't think that's enough to get him in any real sort of trouble, let alone get Toei's attention.

As for this whole replacement cast debacle, I think Gafonso6 hit the nail on the head, in that Panda was going to choose a new cast due to contract negotiations turning sour at first, but then Feist, Loy and company got the go ahead at the last minute. It would explain the whole back-peddling of contest before it got out to the public. Maybe they realized that they would get a lot of flack from bringing in a replacement cast?

Some people here may remember what happened in Latin America, when they replaced the entire "classic" cast with a replacement one for DBZKai, and then tried to use them again for Battle of Gods. People got so pissed they filed a huge petition, and eventually got enough attention to persuade Toei to bring the classsic cast back. As passionate as Portuguese fans are about Dragon Ball, I think even bringing up the idea of a replacement cast could turn just as ugly. Hopefully Panda has made the right decision to continue using Feist and company, but we'll just have to see, I guess.
alakazam^ wrote:Is there any way to currently watch those contest videos?
Thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5WWmCFAxFk popped up in my notifications just now, so I think this is what you're looking for. :)
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:15 pm

wjbraden wrote:Thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5WWmCFAxFk popped up in my notifications just now, so I think this is what you're looking for. :)
Thanks! That seems like it.

They're a bit strange, although Freeza, Gohan and Kame Sennin sound a lot like the originals.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:55 am

Welp... Loy is confirmed out of the dub and it was for money reasons. Guess unlike Audio-In the new studio stood their ground and for the good of the dub refused to pay them more money. Feist and Spínola should probably also be out since money is always they're big complaint about doing dubs. If I had to guess I would say Cristina Cavalinhos is still in, she's the only one of the original cast that has keeped up with dubbing through the years and she knows what the usual payment is so this will probably be a Path to Power situation.

If I'm being honest I'm only sad about Spínola going away, Loy is... well Loy and I won't miss him that much, and Feist although he is great casting for Goku in Super he sounded bored out of his mind most of the time and clearly wasn't putting the same passion he puts into Disney dubs.
There's a video of the possible new voices on youtube. This casting video was clearly made very quickly and was clearly dubbed over the SIC dub. I've been going through portuguese dub related discords and a lot of people have pointed to this being from SantaClaus Studios (the studio that dubs Doraemon and Shin Chan here) since a lot of the voices seem to be from actors they use very often like Miguel Raposo as the first Goku voice (I said Guilherme Raposo but I meant Miguel Raposo :crazy: ), Tiago Matias and Fábio Pereira as the Freeza voices and Michel Semeão as one of the Gohans.
This could be the start of a new age for DB in Portugal since Biggs is involved with Super and Broly so they'll probably keep both on the same studio. Sad that we had to see some of the cast go but the dub could be very good and if so I can get over it.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:07 am

Jacques could be a good replacement for Loy, their voices are similar. Jacques just tends to be a bit monochordic when he acts though.