Camera Pans!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:05 am

That is a good image, I never realised how some of these things can look when it's done this way.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:16 am

Bullza wrote:That is a good image, I never realised how some of these things can look when it's done this way.
Yeah, you can hide a lot of perspective tricks with a good camera pan too!

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tavarano » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:19 am

Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Haven't done one of these in a while... I kinda got out of watching DB so much, sticking to the manga and never using DVDs with computers since my newer laptops don't have the drives for it, but since I got Dragon Ball Super: Broly on Amazon Video yesterday (mistake, they took it down but I still own it) I took a few screenshots... I was always doing them by hand but I wanted to try out Photoshop's Automated Photomerge, I think it came out pretty good considering all the moving parts.

This one I did by hand though, Bardock, Gine and Kakarrot right before he blasts off.

They could be done better with HD rips or Blu-rays or even DVD, I don't think these look HD at all, probably because my screen doesn't have the copy protection or whatever Amazon wants, not exactly fair...

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:49 pm

I've decided to give this a try with Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'. Here are some examples:
Might try doing some more later.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:02 pm

Could someone do these ones in much better quality? (From Episode #175)

乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:16 pm

Did some of my own of these awhile ago with Dragon Box sources.

Lastly I did a couple of diagonal ones, but I'm not really able to "fill in" the corners. Anyone here such as MetalWario who's talented at that sort of thing is more than welcome to have at them both.

http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:37 pm

Two more:

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:49 pm

Do you have Photoshop Kunzait? I noticed a fair few brightness changes on the edges of the frames; the Automerge feature in PS can help remove those.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:55 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:49 pm Do you have Photoshop Kunzait? I noticed a fair few brightness changes on the edges of the frames; the Automerge feature in PS can help remove those.
Or, if using a free image editor like GIMP (like I do), just running a large, soft eraser along the side of each screenshot when joining them will make the transition much smoother.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:55 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:49 pm Do you have Photoshop Kunzait? I noticed a fair few brightness changes on the edges of the frames; the Automerge feature in PS can help remove those.
Or, if using a free image editor like GIMP (like I do), just running a large, soft eraser along the side of each screenshot when joining them will make the transition much smoother.
Very true, but I like photomerge because it can merge the images together automatically. It works great if you can get a frame-by-frame export of the pan itself because you don't miss anything, especially for diagonal pans.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:03 am

Of course I have Photoshop, but I was nursing a nasty flu this past week, and tried doing a quick and dirty job of it from a dinky phone app while laid up in bed half conscious. I think the majority of them turned out pretty ok all things considered, but there were six in particular that glaringly stuck out with the frame edges & brightness discrepancies you mentioned. So since I'm feeling a bit better and more clear-headed today, I went and redid them properly in Photoshop. I deleted the old ones to avoid confusion and needlessly padding the thread page with doubles.

For the two diagonal ones, Devil's Castle ended up coming out fairly well corner's-wise:

But the Movie 8 is still giving me shit with the corners. Still, it looks MUCH better now, so if MetalWarrior wants to take a crack at filling in the corners properly (since I know he's done it a bunch of times before very successfully) he's more than welcome to it.

If you think I should redo any of the others, let me know which ones. But looking them over, the rest appear to be fairly seamless.

EDIT: Noticed I was a hair off in aligning two of the frames for this one, so I went and fixed it. Once again, deleted the old one to avoid confusion and redundant doubles.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:09 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:03 amOf course I have Photoshop, but I was nursing a nasty flu this past week, and tried doing a quick and dirty job of it from a dinky phone app while laid up in bed half conscious. I think the majority of them turned out pretty ok all things considered, but there were six in particular that glaringly stuck out with the frame edges & brightness discrepancies you mentioned. So since I'm feeling a bit better and more clear-headed today, I went and redid them properly in Photoshop. I deleted the old ones to avoid confusion and needlessly padding the thread page with doubles.
Those look awesome!

I noticed that a fair few of them use the same golem/demon-thing face seen on the walls of the TB arena. Is there a particular reason for this? Is the face significant in some way?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:57 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:09 amI noticed that a fair few of them use the same golem/demon-thing face seen on the walls of the TB arena. Is there a particular reason for this? Is the face significant in some way?
That demonic face is used mainly and primarily as a recurring visual motif for the Budokai arena's decor, which is modeled after much the same kind of architecture found in all kinds of ancient Southeast Asian temple ruins: particularly in Indonesia and specifically in the Bali island.

But this particular demon's head statue does indeed pop up in a few other locales across both the manga and the anime-exclusive material: including Devil's Toilet area of Baba's Palace for the former, and Shura's Demon World fighting arena that I have up top there a few posts up for the latter.

As to what it represents, it appears to simply be a Toriyama-fied representation of a generic Buddhist demon, modeled fairly closely after their depiction in traditional ancient art, both Chinese and Japanese (since like practically everything else from Japanese folklore, even Japanese Oni demons also have their origins in Chinese Taoist and Buddhist myth).

Some examples that are relatively close to Toriyama's design:

Even more blatantly than that, since the Budokai architecture has such a heavily Indonesian bent to it, its particular Buddhist demon face looks even MORE heavily like those found in ancient Bali stone carvings (Balinese folklore also being heavily steeped in Buddhist influence, with similar myths).

Horror nerd aside: Indonesian folklore features some of the coolest ever occult creatures, largely as a consequence of its very particular strain of Buddhism, which is a centuries-long amalgamation of both Chinese and Hindu Buddhism along with all sorts of other regional religious practices and superstitions to form its own unique concoction.

The statue carvings shown above - and my best guess as to where Toriyama had gotten that very particular demon's head design from - actually depicts one of my personal all time favorite occult/folkloric creatures: Leyaks, also known as Penanggalans. While primarily Indonesian, they can also be found in the folklore of tons of other Southeast Asian regions with similarly weird strains and offshoots of Buddhist-derived myths, including Malaysia, Cambodia, and Thailand.

Leyaks/Penanggalans are malevolent creatures that possess humans. During the daytime, the possessed person will be totally normal. But once nighttime falls, the Leyak/Penanggalan takes over. The person's head then detaches from the body and flies through the air freely, with their bloodied entrails and innards (lungs, heart, intestines, stomach, etc) still attached from the torn neck stump and dangling below as they float. They specifically seek out and are drawn to heavily pregnant women either in late term or in labor, so as to feed on the blood of the baby still developing inside the womb; when especially hungry, they'll even settle for the afterbirth of a recent delivery.

In more primitive times, all sorts of medical difficulties and abnormalities that would befall pregnant Balinese women would generally be attributed to these demons. In the modern day though, they're a mainstream pop culture staple all across Southeast Asia (much like Jiangshi/Chinese Vampires are in China) and a whole ton of delightfully fun horror movies have been made featuring them throughout at least the past 40+ years, if not longer (the most famous of which is without a doubt the 1981 cult classic Mystics in Bali, one of my personal faves and how I first got interested in Penanggalans as a kid).

If I'm not mistaken, the statues are supposed to depict their true form when not possessing a human host: their true form being heavily reminiscent of their god Rangda, a devourer of children and the Leyak's/Penanggalan's master whom they serve.

Also, as a consequence of both my general horror nerdery combined with the very closely similar depiction prominently featured in a fair amount of DB's architecture (that their general prominence in Asian myth), Leyaks/Penanggalan's have always been kinda lowkey subtly lurking in the back of my mind as a part of my personal Dragon Ball "head canon" for literally decades now. :P

While I'm not generally a fanfic person - I've only ever written maybe like, two or three max in my whole entire life - were I to ever write any sort of DB fanfic (doubtful as hell, but one never knows), I've always sworn to myself that I'd without a doubt feature in it some sort of reference or appearance of these creatures in some form or fashion.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:57 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:57 am[Classic Kunzait breakdown]
That's really cool! Super interesting to learn the face has a particular origin (and disturbing to know what it is specifically). While I always knew that Dragon Ball had a melting pot of different cultures, it never occurred to me that that TB would be indonesian in nature. For me the TB gates are right up there with Gohan's hut, Frieza's spaceship and Korin's Tower when it comes to iconic Dragon Ball architecture. Is there a particular reason why the demon faces might be there, or is it just to look cool, ominous, and be something to break during a fight?

It'd be super-cool to have a guided tour of the different cultures like Chinese, Indonesian, Native American, African (or wherever Baba's palace is meant to be) and more, like a Feature on the site or something. For me the mix of these aesthetics plus the 80s Jetsons look for the cities is one of the ways Dragon Ball feel so unique to me.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:28 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:57 amIs there a particular reason why the demon faces might be there, or is it just to look cool, ominous, and be something to break during a fight?
Buddhist temples, across virtually ALL Southeast Asian cultures, prominently feature statues, paintings, and other artistic depictions of their various demons and gods. Knowing Toriyama, he was simply taking from basic temple architecture when he designed the Budokai arena.

I'm hardly at all the first ever person to note that he took mainly from Balinese Buddhist temples when coming up with the Budokai arena's look (this was more the sort of thing most older fans were more apt to discuss about the series back in the days before Power Level nonsense became a thing and developed a stranglehold on all DB discourse): those sorts of Leyak Demon statues and imagery adorn and cover practically every square inch of many of those temple ruins: as do similar statues throughout similar Buddhist temples all throughout China and other parts of Southeast Asia. They're literally synonymous with their architectural aesthetic.

And make no mistake, there's also more than a fair amount of bits of Chinese influence still mixed into the Budokai arena's design also, which gives it a very distinctive and instantly memorable visual identity that makes it seem both immediately familiar and somewhat alien at the same exact time: its not for nothing that Toriyama is known as such a visual/design genius.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:16 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:28 amI'm hardly at all the first ever person to note that he took mainly from Balinese Buddhist temples when coming up with the Budokai arena's look (this was more the sort of thing most older fans were more apt to discuss about the series back in the days before Power Level nonsense became a thing and developed a stranglehold on all DB discourse)
Honestly I'm loving this discussion, there's only so many times you can say "BUH ROSHI IN TOP MAKE NO SENCE!!!!" and restate that Power Levels serve the story, not vice versa.

I just realized that the location of Papaya Island on the DB World Map is actually really appropriate, being about where Indonesia would be when you compare it to a map of the real world, while still being close to the China section. I have wondered about that map, in particular if Toriyama made it and, if so, at what point in writing the manga. It's amusing though to go back to the panels introducing the city it's located in; since it's before stuff like West City, it feels much more grounded with not a flying car or Jetsons building in sight.

(side-side bar: was it ever established if the new TB location was a rebuilt Papaya Island or if it was moved to a new location?)

One of my favourite parts about the design of Jingle Village is how it basically takes a pre-existing design (the futuristic hemisphere building established with the Capsule House and the Rabbit Gang village) and just plops it in a frigid setting and makes it the ONLY building design. Now it looks like a classic collection of igloos! It has an odd side-effect though: by using the futuristic building, it makes it a bit of a shock to hear at the end of that mini-arc that the village has NO vehicles.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:51 pm

More:

And lastly, these two had been done several pages back in the thread, but the sources used were kinda crappy (orange bricks and fuzzy, low res rips almost like a streaming site), so I redid them properly with Dragon Box footage:

Always loved that final shot there that ends off the Saiya-jin arc.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:51 pm[More Pan than a GT episode!]
Those are great! I agree on the last one, it's a like the closing of the book on the story's biggest and most dramatic fight thus far, and an allusion of where it'll go next. If a tad more detail was added to the sky, it'd make a wonderful vertical banner to hang from a wall. (also looking in my full colour, it's based off an identically-proportioned manga panel!)

Also I sense a bit of a height difference between those Grand Elder spires!

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:28 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:16 pm Did some of my own of these awhile ago with Dragon Box sources.
I forgot just how much I adore the art direction of DBZ Movie 1 and this filler episode. Toei had some top-tier talent back then.
Last edited by Big Boss on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.