What would you change about the Broly movie?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

What would you change about the Broly movie?

Post by Kastex » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:19 pm

hey everybodie, it's been a while since i've been around these parts. i saw somewhere that DBS will have a continuation? if that's true i'll probably come around more often. let me know if you have any info on that.

anyways, i just watched the broly movie and it was sweet. not all that great from a series story point of view, but since it's just a movie (even if it's canon) it's great and a fun experience. i could think of a few changes i would like to make to the movie if i could. obviously it's all hypothetical.

watching frieza get its ass kicked was so fun that they could have just made the entire movie showing frieza get stomped out by broly and gogeta and then getting turned into a shit stain-like paste by the end of the movie. i would pay to watch it at least 5 times.
or i could change it so that gogeta chose not to show up on the battle field until AFTER broly killed frieza.
also it would make sense if whis just one shotted broly when broly attacked him. whis originally struck me as the kind of character who doesn't tolerate bullshit, unless he's getting something out of it, or formerly agreed to tolerate the bullshit. for example in the first season when piccolo grabbed whis he was acting like he was ready to chop off piccolo's arm if he didn't let him go.
it was probably more for comedic purposes, but frieza wanting to wish to grow 5 centimeters and only 5 centimeters because it would be too obvious if he grew any bigger than that is kinda stupid. in that case, why not wish to grow a specific amount once per year for a specified number of years until you reach the ideal height, so the growth would seem natural and you wouldn't have to deal with such a severe limitation?
at the end of the movie it seemed like the reason frieza did not kill the traitors is because he assumed they were being protected by broly, but it also kinda seemed like frieza was afraid of broly. also frieza should still hate saiyans and want to kill them all even more now that he has seen what broly is capable of. he says he wants to try to control broly, but he would obviously rather kill broly since he's scared of him. why didn't he just destroy the planet that the traitors and broly were on instead of just leaving them? that would be a competent change too, but i guess it would destroy 3 potentially interesting characters in the process.

eh, so what changes would you guys make to the movie? how do you feel about the movie?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Re: What would you change about the Broly movie?

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:22 pm

The only changes would be to Broly's design, make him paler and having him retain his tail.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:29 pm

I honestly hated this movie. I think it is the #1 worst movie in DB History. Sure the animation was great, but the movie was everything I dislike about Super. The cheesy humor that falls flat; the uninspiring fight choreography where it's just nothing more but ki blasts, punches, and kicks; the constant fan pandering; and finally, the fact that it is still the Goku and Vegeta show.. this time with a bit of Frieza.

What I would have changed is:
>Keep Bardock's old backstory. That minus shit totally ruins the Saiyans and makes them nothing more but a generic alien race instead of the ruthless and bloodthirsty warriors they were portrayed as back in DBZ.
>Broly and Paragus seek out revenge on their own accord instead of affiliating themselves with Frieza. Broly is given a different reason to hate Goku other than "He cried too loud." Maybe Bardock should have been the one assigned to get rid of Broly? I don't know, but anything other than that.
>Broly and Paragus take Cheelia and Lemo hostage instead of working with them and use their ship to escape their planet.
>Remove Broly's ear skirt. That story was lame.
>Broly is less Tarzan. Broly portrayed to be more out of control through a different scenario other than saving a girl from a drunk. That is incredibly lame and has been done to death.
>Remove Gogeta, he was not needed in this movie.
>Involve other characters. Doesn't matter if they job, allow them to be relevant. Or, write them to become stronger and catch up to Goku. The ToP should've encouraged them to do so.

I can't really remember what else happened in the movie. All I did was cringe as I watched it and wanted to forget it. I think I'm just not a fan of shonen over-the-top fighting where the powerscale is ridiculously broken. Jojo is the only anime I can enjoy atm. Dragon Ball feels so ridiculously repetitive and it baffles me how people continue to eat this shit up that Toei keeps throwing in their faces.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 pm

I'd ideally have Paragus survive.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Exline wrote:I honestly hated this movie. I think it is the #1 worst movie in DB History. Sure the animation was great, but the movie was everything I dislike about Super. The cheesy humor that falls flat; the uninspiring fight choreography where it's just nothing more but ki blasts, punches, and kicks; the constant fan pandering; and finally, the fact that it is still the Goku and Vegeta show.. this time with a bit of Frieza.

What I would have changed is:
>Keep Bardock's old backstory. That minus shit totally ruins the Saiyans and makes them nothing more but a generic alien race instead of the ruthless and bloodthirsty warriors they were portrayed as back in DBZ.
>Broly and Paragus seek out revenge on their own accord instead of affiliating themselves with Frieza. Broly is given a different reason to hate Goku other than "He cried too loud." Maybe Bardock should have been the one assigned to get rid of Broly? I don't know, but anything other than that.
>Broly and Paragus take Cheelia and Lemo hostage instead of working with them and use their ship to escape their planet.
>Remove Broly's ear skirt. That story was lame.
>Broly is less Tarzan. Broly portrayed to be more out of control through a different scenario other than saving a girl from a drunk. That is incredibly lame and has been done to death.
>Remove Gogeta, he was not needed in this movie.
>Involve other characters. Doesn't matter if they job, allow them to be relevant. Or, write them to become stronger and catch up to Goku. The ToP should've encouraged them to do so.

I can't really remember what else happened in the movie. All I did was cringe as I watched it and wanted to forget it. I think I'm just not a fan of shonen over-the-top fighting where the powerscale is ridiculously broken. Jojo is the only anime I can enjoy atm. Dragon Ball feels so ridiculously repetitive and it baffles me how people continue to eat this shit up that Toei keeps throwing in their faces.
And yet you're on a forum dedicated to the series that made such a thing so big. Does not compute.

Anyway, what I would change, is that it would have received a full release, rather than the partial.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
Exline wrote: I can't really remember what else happened in the movie. All I did was cringe as I watched it and wanted to forget it. I think I'm just not a fan of shonen over-the-top fighting where the powerscale is ridiculously broken. Jojo is the only anime I can enjoy atm. Dragon Ball feels so ridiculously repetitive and it baffles me how people continue to eat this shit up that Toei keeps throwing in their faces.
And yet you're on a forum dedicated to the series that made such a thing so big. Does not compute.

Anyway, what I would change, is that it would have received a full release, rather than the partial.
I meant to say not anymore haha. I can't really get into series like Naruto either. I only watched the Black arc and the Top Arc in the anime. Anything before it is unwatchable. I preferred reading the Super Manga, but the ToP arc left a sour taste in my mouth, although I was enjoying this new arc with Moro.

This new Broly movie convinced me that I'm never going to get something coherent and engaging from this series anymore. It paints the future of dragon ball with the same repetitive fights that Super was filled to the brim with, as well as the non-stop fan pandering.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:35 pm

1) Remove the Minus story because it has no place in the story.
2) Have Broly see how dumb his father's revenge plan is, but then Vegeta beats the shit out of him in his attempt to send a message to Freeza, causing Broly' to fight back and let his anger and instincts overtake him, and then he transforms into his Wrathful form.
3) Make Super Saiyan Berserk (I still refuse to call it Super Saiyan Full Power) the only Super Saiyan form Broly achieves. Get rid of normal Super Saiyan Broly. When Freeza kills Paragus, that's when Broly goes Berserk, not him going SSJ, and then randomly getting Berserk during the final fight with Gogeta. And while I'm on this subject, have Vegeta reference Kale when he and Goku escape from Broly's wrath.
4) Have Vegeta tell Goku that Ultra Instinct would be really handy against Broly. Goku would then of course say he can't do it, making fusion their only option.
5) Have Gogeta only go Blue during the final fight.
6) Have Shenlong make three wishes: 1. Get Broly back to Vampa. 2. Wish for supplies for him. 3. Get Cheelye and Lemo to Vampa.

And... That's about it.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:05 pm

-Remove much of the beginning and just focus on the Broly side of it.
-Have Broly talk a bit at first during his fight with Goku and Vegeta.
-Give Broly a better sad or tragic backstory than the one involving Bah.
-Show Broly having a motivation to go on his rampage against Goku and Vegeta.
-Have Broly's green-haired legendary super saiyan form have more screen time.
-Remove some of the repetitive rants Cheelai gives about Paragus in the latter part of the movie.
-Have Gogeta be more in line with his Z movie 12 counterpart.
-Keep Beets around although I'm not sure how.
-Age up Goten and Trunks.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:19 pm

Get rid of any and all of the super obviously 3d CGI stuff. It really didn't look very good at all considering how amazing the rest of the film looked. It made ssb Goku vs broly really underwhelming for me, and I hate the whole section where Broly and Gogeta fight in the other dimension.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:25 pm

Honestly, I'd only change a few minor things:

-More to the backstory: we suddenly cut to Bardock, battle damaged making his last stand. Show us how he got that battle damage. Even if it's a retelling of his fight in the special

-Change Frieza's Wish: I wasnt a fan of Frieza wanting to use the Dragonballs to grow in height. Change his wish to resurrecting his father, per the advice of Berribleu, so he can properly rebuild the empire, leading to the discovery of Broly and Paragus

-More emphasis on Full Power Broly: it came off as an afterthought. He just blips into it. The scene where he turned Super Saiyan shouldve been him going Full Power. You can still have him go Super Saiyan briefly before exploding into his green haired form, and have that be the form Goku and Vegeta need Gogeta for.

Other than those few things, I very much enjoyed this movie and wouldnt change much else

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:18 am

1. Expand the first act considerably (there are some transitional elements missing, like when Freeza leaves >> King Vegeta goes to the incubator chamber, Goku is sent away >> Freeza destroys the planet).
2. Make Vegeta go SSGSS instead of SSG.
3. Tone down the last act, not make it so over the top.
4. Drop the whole 'full power' form.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:18 am

> Show Bardack trying to attack Frieza.
> No base and SSJ Goku vs Broly
> Like others said, have Broly go shortly SSJ (which can match/overpowered SSB but not by much) THEN have him go LSSJ.
> Make the whole Paragus/Broly situation a bit more grayer. It is threated like Broly is only the poor victim and Paragus the abusive evil father, while actually Broly has concerning rage issues.
> Tying with the prior point, make Broly a bit "darker", aka threat his rage issues like a problem/more like a character flaw instead of him just losing all control.

What made me especially irk is how much the movie hammers your head over the fact that Paragus "made him a battle machine" or something like that.
Yeah it would be much more interesting if Broly is both a victim and somebody who is aware of his rage issues.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:20 am

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:24 am

Definitely gut the CG. It never looks nice. For the weird pocket dimension they go into, it'd have been sweet to get Masaaki Yuasa on that shit. It'd also have been nice to see Masaki Sato come back to animate a cut for the film (or the ending, as he was planned to do).

The soundtrack could have used more chanting. Where were Vegeta's and Freeza's hilarious hype songs?

The "Minus" portion either needs to go, or actually do something for the story. You could remove it, and nothing would change, outside of one nice scene transition into the present. The trailers seemed to set up that the three Saiyan children and their distinct baggage from each of their fathers' dreams for them would be a major point of thematic contrast in the film proper, but Goku's doesn't come into play at all. Planet Vegeta's destruction was also totally tone deaf; this is a race of evil space barbarians, their extinction shouldn't be presented as tragic (or, at least, not strictly as tragic; I'm down to feel bad to see them go, but I'd like to at least feel emotionally conflicted about it).

The way that Super (via Battle of Gods and Minus) re-contextualizes Planet Vegeta's destruction as something precipitated by Beerus, and involving Freeza learning about the Super Saiyan God, isn't given any attention in a story that continues to feature Beerus, Freeza, and the Super Saiyan God forms. Up to this point, I've been fine with these details being treated as unimportant background tidbits in a story about other things. However, once again, the film sees it as important to show the planet's destruction; this, to me, feels like an actual genuine case of "wasted potential" (a phrase I usually roll my eyes at seeing, and am apprehensive about using myself).

Looking at Super in the big picture, Kale's existence foreshadows Broli's. Moreover, the incredible destructive capabilities that she demonstrated during the Tournament of Power (especially in the manga) really helps to set up how insanely dangerous Broli will be. It'd track a bit better for Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza to find Broli's state both familiar and frightening (also could have been mined for some sort of meta-humor, surely). Now, Toriyama neither made Kale, nor scripted Broli to use his "Legendary/Full Power/Green" Super Saiyan form, so I'm not surprised this isn't a thing, but I'd have expected Nagamine to be wise to this.

---

Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with the film. The script isn't doing a whole lot, but that's fine, it does enough to build on what came before and set up more in the future. It otherwise looks and sounds great for the most part, and the comedy bits are as on point as they should be.
Last edited by Zephyr on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:29 am

I'd replace Gogeta with Gokuu, Vegeta and Freeza teaming up to corner Broli while using Omen despite being exhausted.

I'd also replace the CG with hand-drawn fights, especially the pocket dimension fight so that Shida can have an even longer sequence.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:41 am

Everything except for Frieza's wish because it was actually good.

But the most important changes:
-Make new story instead of rehashing old stories without anything new
-Make Gogeta actually cool and not garbage or simply do not include him in movie
-Make original villain instead of putting even worse version of Broly
-Make ANY logic in power levels because this movie reached level far beyond any stupidity we've seen so far in entire franchise
-Remove lame CG that doesn't even fit this movie's artistic style
-Make it look more like Battle of Gods/Ressurection 'F' movies
-Make Beerus actually matter instead of making some random savage that never even fought before stronger than GOD OF DESTRUCTION
-Completely get rid of unnecesary color effects like green SSJ transformation
-Chirai was okay but how about not making her some lame waifu material that risks her life and save someone she just met?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Making Bulma have a more significant role, have her find the last DB for example. And obviously CG but other then that nothing it's an almost perfect film and easily the best thing to come out this franchise by far.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Re: Full Power Broly

I would definitely change this. There's nothing wrong with the form by itself, but as it stands, it's disappointingly shoehorned. Putting more emphasis into Broly's transformation would have almost certainly given it enough oomph to make the subversion of "he still can't do shit to Gogeta" much more effective in the story proper.

Re: Minus

I wouldn't change anything about the Minus portion (other than showing more of Bardock's last stand) since its placement in the film works for what it aims to accomplish. Trying to develop Goku and Vegeta's backstories into some greater character arc for them in the present would have completely missed the point -- they're foils, so they didn't need character arcs; it's not their story. Their origins were specifically included in the film to contrast with (and thereby emphasize) Broly's backstory/arc, which they both succeed at doing. Likewise, "badass" Gogeta's one-sided beatdown was specifically included to emphasize how conflicted and troubled you should feel about a conflicted and troubled person. Cheelai and Lemo serve a similar purpose, as those two exist to exposit Broly's emotions and relationships with others.

Nearly everything in the movie lends to Broly's character arc, his tragic upbringing and the underlying themes of his story. Broly himself isn't an expressive guy, so that's why all this contrast work is put in place throughout the film to communicate that.

Re: CG

I wasn't as bothered by this as others - they implemented the CG about as well as they could have, and it gels surprisingly well with the crazy dimensional stuff - but if given the choice, I'd absolutely take it out. Shit with candy sprinkled on top is still shit.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:29 pm

1. Give Bardock & King Vegeta their 90's Z storylines, characterizations and designs.
2. Give Bardock's crew screentime along with Gine.
3. Make Broly more psychotic and crazy like in Movie 8 (but still sympathetic in the ways DBS Broly shows).
4. Have Goku & Vegeta try using SSBKKx20 & SSBE against SSJ1 Broly.
5. Include the Legendary SSJ mythos to explain Broly's power growth.
6. Give Gogeta his Movie 12 personality (to distinguish him from Vegito).
7. Make SSB Gogeta vs FP Broly a more even fight (similar to SSJ1 Goku vs 100% Freeza)
8. Give Bulma a bigger supporting role.
9. Remove Freeza's dumb "I want to be taller" wish motivation.
10. Have Gohan & Android 17 join in to fight Broly (there's no reason why they weren't involved considering the level of power they showed in the ToP). They could hold off Broly along Freeza, while Goku and Vegeta try to fuse.
11. Declare Broly to be definitely stronger than Beerus & Jiren.
12. Make at least one mention/comparison between Broly and Kale.
13. Remove the CG and make the film 100% hand-drawn.
14. Mention Ultra Instinct as an option at least once.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:35 pm

I would've dwelled onto the origin of saiyan power. IIRC, it was an early tagline. Some explanation for the FP form would've been nice, or a reference to Kale.

Or perhaps a different movie where Freeza has perfected his golden form and actually trashes SS Broly, and Gogeta and Broly team up to kill Freeza once and for all.