Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Zillamon51 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:24 am

Ass. I just got the Blu-ray boxed set from Amazon.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:29 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
professorwho wrote:Watch it end up being the current Season BDs in "collectible" packaging...

I hope I'm wrong, but with this being FUNi, or as I call them- FAILimation, anything goes.
I've got my fingers crossed that they do it right this time, they have deprived the fans of a proper release for so long since the last attempt (Level BD's) and milked their DNR'd to hell remasters not once but twice.

For now i am going to hold tight to my Dragon Boxes, because FUNi has certainly let the fans down a multitude of times.
I think it might be likely since Toei has done the heavy lifting this time regarding the handling of the actual footage. All FUNi has to do is update the title cards and credits and they'll be good to go, right? That's practically what they did with Kai.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:44 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
professorwho wrote:Watch it end up being the current Season BDs in "collectible" packaging...

I hope I'm wrong, but with this being FUNi, or as I call them- FAILimation, anything goes.
I've got my fingers crossed that they do it right this time, they have deprived the fans of a proper release for so long since the last attempt (Level BD's) and milked their DNR'd to hell remasters not once but twice.

For now i am going to hold tight to my Dragon Boxes, because FUNi has certainly let the fans down a multitude of times.
I think it might be likely since Toei has done the heavy lifting this time regarding the handling of the actual footage. All FUNi has to do is update the title cards and credits and they'll be good to go, right? That's practically what they did with Kai.
I would guess so, just take what Toei ships them and alter the titles/credits to English and all done. If that's what we are getting then it will be good for those who have been waiting all this time for a non cropped and properly remastered release.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:01 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: I've got my fingers crossed that they do it right this time, they have deprived the fans of a proper release for so long since the last attempt (Level BD's) and milked their DNR'd to hell remasters not once but twice.

I would guess so, just take what Toei ships them and alter the titles/credits to English and all done. If that's what we are getting then it will be good for those who have been waiting all this time for a non cropped and properly remastered release.
It'll be interesting because for that, Toei will essentially have to make brand new textless credits and title cards so that Funimation (and others) can put their own titles and credits in. Hope they'll make it as special features!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:24 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: I think it might be likely since Toei has done the heavy lifting this time regarding the handling of the actual footage. All FUNi has to do is update the title cards and credits and they'll be good to go, right? That's practically what they did with Kai.
It'll be interesting because for that, Toei will essentially have to make brand new textless credits and title cards so that Funimation (and others) can put their own titles and credits in. Hope they'll make it as special features!
Yeah, especially since FUNi stopped including alternate angles and branching video tracks like how they used to on their older DB DVDs. Toei will probably have to go that route in order to provide them with textless openings and endings to make that happen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:40 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: I would guess so, just take what Toei ships them and alter the titles/credits to English and all done. If that's what we are getting then it will be good for those who have been waiting all this time for a non cropped and properly remastered release.
Yeah, especially since FUNi stopped including alternate angles and branching video tracks like how they used to on their older DB DVDs. Toei will probably have to go that route in order to provide them with textless openings and endings to make that happen.
It'll be interesting to see how FUNi will format the title cards and credits text. Will it match Kai? That would work for the credits for sure, but I would expect some fans would question if the title cards used the same font as the Kai ones. I tried this approach back when I did for The First Chapters (with a bit of blurring and off-white to make it look as old as the show):

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:44 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: It'll be interesting because for that, Toei will essentially have to make brand new textless credits and title cards so that Funimation (and others) can put their own titles and credits in. Hope they'll make it as special features!
It'll be interesting to see how FUNi will format the title cards and credits text. Will it match Kai? That would work for the credits for sure, but I would expect some fans would question if the title cards used the same font as the Kai ones. I tried this approach back when I did for The First Chapters (with a bit of blurring and off-white to make it look as old as the show):
That looks pretty cool, something like the font used for Kai's title cards would look good for this new release.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:54 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Yeah, especially since FUNi stopped including alternate angles and branching video tracks like how they used to on their older DB DVDs. Toei will probably have to go that route in order to provide them with textless openings and endings to make that happen.
That looks pretty cool, something like the font used for Kai's title cards would look good for this new release.
Thanks! I do wonder if FUNi will rename the episodes to match the original Japanese ones better, or go super-authentic and recreate the font of the originals:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:00 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: It'll be interesting to see how FUNi will format the title cards and credits text. Will it match Kai? That would work for the credits for sure, but I would expect some fans would question if the title cards used the same font as the Kai ones. I tried this approach back when I did for The First Chapters (with a bit of blurring and off-white to make it look as old as the show):
Thanks! I do wonder if FUNi will rename the episodes to match the original Japanese ones better, or go super-authentic and recreate the font of the originals:
Instead of using those completely inaccurate shortened dub name titles from about every release aside from the Dragon Boxes, yeah accurate translations and the font style of the originals would be better suited like how they did with Kai.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:04 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: That looks pretty cool, something like the font used for Kai's title cards would look good for this new release.
Instead of using those completely inaccurate shortened titles from about every release aside from the Dragon Boxes, yeah accurate translations of the originals would be better like they did with Kai.
I tried a mix with my T1C title cards since back in the Dragon Ball anime even the Japanese titles were a bit short. So for example the Ep1 example from earlier is literally the FUNi name followed by the Toei name: "The Secret of the Dragon Balls! Bulma and Son Goku!" (with the Son thrown in there as a one-off nod for Goku's full name).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:08 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Thanks! I do wonder if FUNi will rename the episodes to match the original Japanese ones better, or go super-authentic and recreate the font of the originals:
Instead of using those completely inaccurate shortened titles from about every release aside from the Dragon Boxes, yeah accurate translations of the originals would be better like they did with Kai.
I tried a mix with my T1C title cards since back in the Dragon Ball anime even the Japanese titles were a bit short. So for example the Ep1 example from earlier is literally the FUNi name followed by the Toei name: "The Secret of the Dragon Balls! Bulma and Son Goku!" (with the Son thrown in there as a one-off nod for Goku's full name).
Something like that i think would look nice for the release, because i definitely prefer the Japanese titles over the dub's titles like the ones in the above photos.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:33 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Instead of using those completely inaccurate shortened titles from about every release aside from the Dragon Boxes, yeah accurate translations of the originals would be better like they did with Kai.
Something like that i think would look nice for the release, because i definitely prefer the Japanese titles over the dub's titles like the ones in the above photos.
The longer-form names would definitely be more authentic, but they could get blatantly spoilery (especially when they'd be given in the Next Episode Previews). Like DBZ episode 86, "Such Regret…!! The Proud Saiyan, Vegeta Dies", or "Son Goku Survived — The Z Warriors Are All Resurrected!!"

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:45 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: I tried a mix with my T1C title cards since back in the Dragon Ball anime even the Japanese titles were a bit short. So for example the Ep1 example from earlier is literally the FUNi name followed by the Toei name: "The Secret of the Dragon Balls! Bulma and Son Goku!" (with the Son thrown in there as a one-off nod for Goku's full name).
The longer-form names would definitely be more authentic, but they could get blatantly spoilery (especially when they'd be given in the Next Episode Previews). Like DBZ episode 86, "Such Regret…!! The Proud Saiyan, Vegeta Dies", or "Son Goku Survived — The Z Warriors Are All Resurrected!!"
Ikr, some of those are basically dead giveaways of the plot. :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:54 am

Why are people assuming that Funi is redoing the title cards and credits for this release? Remember how Funi left those untouched in their Dragon Box release?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:18 am

I know for a fact they have 4:3 remastered visual tapes (given the Bardock remaster), and the broadcast audio for all 291 episodes (and both TV specials) are also available. It would be best for Funi to release an entire bundle for all 291 eps and both TV specials, but if they can't do that, they should split the bundle into two releases, like the Dragon Box.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:47 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Why are people assuming that Funi is redoing the title cards and credits for this release? Remember how Funi left those untouched in their Dragon Box release?
Good point, since if this new release is coming straight from Toei and isn't FUNimation's own masters then they'll likely leave them as is. That may also mean this will have the next episode previews as well. :thumbup:

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:12 pm

I hope they don't touch the titles or credits, it's a Japanese series, if you can't read the title cards then there should be subtitles. Changing them from Japanese to English is just annoying if you're a collector.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:24 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:I hope they don't touch the titles or credits, it's a Japanese series, if you can't read the title cards then there should be subtitles. Changing them from Japanese to English is just annoying if you're a collector.
Though of course as mentioned in the one post above mine FUNi didn't mess with the Dragon Boxes since those basically had been licensed to them from Toei, probably with the stipulation that they must be released exactly as is. The only time when in which they have is on their own releases which use those digibeta/film prints with creditless masters for the openings and endings as well as title cards.

It really does suck that they don't use alternate angles or branching video tracks any more, but that mostly owes to the fact they don't make just three to four episode volumes anymore where putting that stuff on there wasn't overkill to the quality and their current releases with as many episodes packed on there simply wouldn't fit those without quality loss.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Am I the only one still worried that Toei will censor instances of the middle finger or do a bad remastering? We saw the colors being off for movies 1-13. I want a product like Kai 1.0 in terms of the colors, but not the censorship. I think this is an uphill battle and we shouldn't rest on it, even though there is nothing we can actually do...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:31 pm

I'm just hoping that whatever it is will be the correct aspect ratio. A few of my DVD's have been ruined without me doing anything so if one of my DBox DVDs goes bad, even without me doing anything, I'm screwed.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.