Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Gligarman » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:10 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
professorwho wrote:Watch it end up being the current Season BDs in "collectible" packaging...

I hope I'm wrong, but with this being FUNi, or as I call them- FAILimation, anything goes.
I've got my fingers crossed that they do it right this time, they have deprived the fans of a proper release for so long since the last attempt (Level BD's) and milked their DNR'd to hell remasters not once but twice.

For now i am going to hold tight to my Dragon Boxes, because FUNi has certainly let the fans down a multitude of times.
I think it might be likely since Toei has done the heavy lifting this time regarding the handling of the actual footage. All FUNi has to do is update the title cards and credits and they'll be good to go, right? That's practically what they did with Kai.
Speaking only for myself, if they do that I’m not buying it. I hate it when they edit their shows like that, especially their older titles. They should do what they did with the Dragon Boxes. Just leave everything in tact and add a credit roll at the end of the disc. That’s what pretty much every other anime distributor does.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Gligarman wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: I've got my fingers crossed that they do it right this time, they have deprived the fans of a proper release for so long since the last attempt (Level BD's) and milked their DNR'd to hell remasters not once but twice.

For now i am going to hold tight to my Dragon Boxes, because FUNi has certainly let the fans down a multitude of times.
I think it might be likely since Toei has done the heavy lifting this time regarding the handling of the actual footage. All FUNi has to do is update the title cards and credits and they'll be good to go, right? That's practically what they did with Kai.
Speaking only for myself, if they do that I’m not buying it. I hate it when they edit their shows like that, especially their older titles. They should do what they did with the Dragon Boxes. Just leave everything in tact and add a credit roll at the end of the disc. That’s what pretty much every other anime distributor does.
If it's coming directly from Toei themselves then it's possible they may do like what was done with the Dragon Box Z masters when they licensed them to FUNimation back in 2009, as in basically stipulate that the product itself must stay exactly as is and not be fiddled with.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Only time will tell what they'll announce, and I hope they announce it soon.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:05 pm

I hope they do what fansubbers do and just have text of the episode title pop up under the japanese text

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:20 pm

Gligarman wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: I've got my fingers crossed that they do it right this time, they have deprived the fans of a proper release for so long since the last attempt (Level BD's) and milked their DNR'd to hell remasters not once but twice.

I can see where you're coming from, but on the other hand this is an entirely new master of the show they get to work with.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:27 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Gligarman wrote:
KBABZ wrote: I think it might be likely since Toei has done the heavy lifting this time regarding the handling of the actual footage. All FUNi has to do is update the title cards and credits and they'll be good to go, right? That's practically what they did with Kai.
I can see where you're coming from, but on the other hand this is an entirely new master of the show they get to work with.
I have already guessed this may be similar to when Toei made the deal with FUNi to license the Dragon Box masters to them back in 2009, so if that's the case they may be licensed it on the condition that they don't mess around with it in that way.

It's speculation i know, but there is past precedent for something like that to happen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Gligarman wrote: Speaking only for myself, if they do that I’m not buying it. I hate it when they edit their shows like that, especially their older titles. They should do what they did with the Dragon Boxes. Just leave everything in tact and add a credit roll at the end of the disc. That’s what pretty much every other anime distributor does.
I have already guessed this may be similar to when Toei made the deal with FUNi to license the Dragon Box masters to them back in 2009, so if that's the case they may be licensed it on the condition that they don't mess around with it in that way.

It's speculation i know, but there is past precedent for something like that to happen.
True, but I guess that depends on how Toei and FUNimation approach this one. Would the 2019 re-scan be considered a replacement for FUNi's existing master that they are free to meddle with for broadcast and streaming (like it was back in the 90s), OR is it a boutique offering like the Dragon Box footage and they're only allowed to put in subtitles and their pre-existing voice track? Personally I would hope that (assuming it's still in 4:3) it would be a replacement for their existing master and they get creditless versions of the various intros and outros to add their own credits to. FUNi would be free to make any vocal revisions that they deem nessecary like with past releases, then they can put that out.

If they get the chance to do this with the original Dragon Ball, I hope to GOD they consider redoing the voices for AT LEAST Sean as Teen Goku in the final arc, and maybe adjust some existing lines to be less blatantly different like Daimao's claim that he's "been all over the universe".

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:41 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: I can see where you're coming from, but on the other hand this is an entirely new master of the show they get to work with.

True, but I guess that depends on how Toei and FUNimation approach this one. Would the 2019 re-scan be considered a replacement for FUNi's existing master that they are free to meddle with for broadcast and streaming (like it was back in the 90s), OR is it a boutique offering like the Dragon Box footage and they're only allowed to put in subtitles and their pre-existing voice track? Personally I would hope that (assuming it's still in 4:3) it would be a replacement for their existing master and they get creditless versions of the various intros and outros to add their own credits to. FUNi would be free to make any vocal revisions that they deem nessecary like with past releases, then they can put that out.

If they get the chance to do this with the original Dragon Ball, I hope to GOD they consider redoing the voices for AT LEAST Sean as Teen Goku in the final arc, and maybe adjust some existing lines to be less blatantly different like Daimao's claim that he's "been all over the universe".
Yep there's a lot to consider there, but i guess we'll see in due time where they are going to go as to the specs of this release assuming it's coming from Toei themselves.

I assume you mean something similar to how they did with the Level sets, although the main difference is it's a fresh high def remaster from Toei instead of FUNi's not so great quality multi generation masters.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:24 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: I have already guessed this may be similar to when Toei made the deal with FUNi to license the Dragon Box masters to them back in 2009, so if that's the case they may be licensed it on the condition that they don't mess around with it in that way.

Yep there's a lot to consider there, but i guess we'll see in due time where they are going to go as to the specs of this release assuming it's coming from Toei themselves.

I assume you mean something similar to how they did with the Level sets, although the main difference is it's a fresh high def remaster from Toei instead of FUNi's not so great quality multi generation masters.
Which will itself determine what approach this will be. If it's a Dragon Box situation where the footage will be untouched, it will also likely be released in a limited capacity. If FUNi are able to make their own title cards and credits, it will likely be a more long-lasting release that might even replace what appears on Toonami and streaming sites.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:33 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: True, but I guess that depends on how Toei and FUNimation approach this one. Would the 2019 re-scan be considered a replacement for FUNi's existing master that they are free to meddle with for broadcast and streaming (like it was back in the 90s), OR is it a boutique offering like the Dragon Box footage and they're only allowed to put in subtitles and their pre-existing voice track? Personally I would hope that (assuming it's still in 4:3) it would be a replacement for their existing master and they get creditless versions of the various intros and outros to add their own credits to. FUNi would be free to make any vocal revisions that they deem nessecary like with past releases, then they can put that out.

Which will itself determine what approach this will be. If it's a Dragon Box situation where the footage will be untouched, it will also likely be released in a limited capacity. If FUNi are able to make their own title cards and credits, it will likely be a more long-lasting release that might even replace what appears on Toonami and streaming sites.
True, though i gotta say if it does ends up being the former i.e. a Dragon Box-esque release then i would get at least the parts that cover the volumes i don't have which are boxes 4 and 7. Mostly because at this point i'm just not having any luck finding remotely decent prices for those two on auction sites.

If it's the latter as in a Level set type of thing, it will be great for all of the fans who have been clamoring up and down for a proper HD version of the show in 4:3 and that may become the general standard that FUNi keeps from now own instead of those crap Season BD's that they've already milked plenty enough since 2013.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:39 am

I don't know if anybody said this , but it could be the new remasters of the movies that Toei released a while ago.
My English is poor .

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:13 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:I don't know if anybody said this , but it could be the new remasters of the movies that Toei released a while ago.
We'll just have to wait until they announce to see what this release actually is.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:34 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:I don't know if anybody said this , but it could be the new remasters of the movies that Toei released a while ago.
That would be nice considering that they never got around to releasing DBox the Movies. However, I think Japan is overdue for a new full home release and if Toei has a hand in this 30th anniversary home video release, I'd like to think that it's the whole series.

I'm hoping it's uncensored, in 4:3, and will actually be fully released.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:37 am

Kendamu wrote:
That would be nice considering that they never got around to releasing DBox the Movies. However, I think Japan is overdue for a new full home release and if Toei has a hand in this 30th anniversary home video release, I'd like to think that it's the whole series.

Agreed. We've all complained about the various flaws with the Blu-Rays that can extend beyond just the 16:9 crop, namely the DNR and in particular the colour grading making it look like over-exposed trite. It'd be nice to remedy these aspect and put out a more definitive boxset that will last for years to come (and provide a solid base for streaming).

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:53 am

KBABZ wrote:
Kendamu wrote:

Agreed. We've all complained about the various flaws with the Blu-Rays that can extend beyond just the 16:9 crop, namely the DNR and in particular the colour grading making it look like over-exposed trite. It'd be nice to remedy these aspect and put out a more definitive boxset that will last for years to come (and provide a solid base for streaming).
As a collector's edition I would assume that they're going to go beyond what we get from the standard Funimation DB release in terms of video quality. That said, if it's a special anniversary edition, I fully expect it to be limited edition just like the Dragon Box. Hopefully Funimation is upfront about it this time around because that really burned some DBox fans back in the day.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:37 am

Kendamu wrote:As a collector's edition I would assume that they're going to go beyond what we get from the standard Funimation DB release in terms of video quality. That said, if it's a special anniversary edition, I fully expect it to be limited edition just like the Dragon Box. Hopefully Funimation is upfront about it this time around because that really burned some DBox fans back in the day.
Agreed, their wording is very much in the line of it being a limited Dragon Box Z release last like time. Makes sense from FUNi's end as well because that way that don't have to explain why the Blu Bricks are inferior and being replaced.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:12 am

KBABZ wrote:
Kendamu wrote:As a collector's edition I would assume that they're going to go beyond what we get from the standard Funimation DB release in terms of video quality. That said, if it's a special anniversary edition, I fully expect it to be limited edition just like the Dragon Box. Hopefully Funimation is upfront about it this time around because that really burned some DBox fans back in the day.
Agreed, their wording is very much in the line of it being a limited Dragon Box Z release last like time. Makes sense from FUNi's end as well because that way that don't have to explain why the Blu Bricks are inferior and being replaced.
I just hope it's not the censored movies...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:41 am

sangofe wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Yeah. I mean, I don't own any of them outside Path to Power, so I'll be getting them regardless, but I'd prefer them uncensored.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:43 am

KBABZ wrote:
sangofe wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Agreed, their wording is very much in the line of it being a limited Dragon Box Z release last like time. Makes sense from FUNi's end as well because that way that don't have to explain why the Blu Bricks are inferior and being replaced.
Yeah. I mean, I don't own any of them outside Path to Power, so I'll be getting them regardless, but I'd prefer them uncensored.
Wouldn't it be better to actually get FUNimation's old release?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:21 am

I've got my fingers crossed that this is indeed a Dragon Box style remastered release, mostly because of the holes that are in my FUNi Box set due to missing volumes 4 and 7. We have definitely been long overdue for a proper 4:3 release since the last attempt with the Level sets that sadly went belly up, so assuming this is what's coming then it's good they are finally providing this so those who were dissatisfied with the last release can have the show as it was truly meant to be seen.

If this is what appears we are getting, then i will definitely be buying because i so desperately want to complete my collection of the entire series in 4:3.