Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:08 am

sangofe wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
sangofe wrote: I just hope it's not the censored movies...
Yeah. I mean, I don't own any of them outside Path to Power, so I'll be getting them regardless, but I'd prefer them uncensored.
Wouldn't it be better to actually get FUNimation's old release?
Dunno, how do they compare to the Toei Blu-Rays?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:38 am

KBABZ wrote:Dunno, how do they compare to the Toei Blu-Rays?
Well they ain't censored.

I think they're fine other than the English credits and titles, though I've also heard people prefer the Dragon Box DVDs to the Funi Blu-rays, which makes sense considering the darker colors of the blu-rays.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:51 am

The Time Traveller wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Dunno, how do they compare to the Toei Blu-Rays?
Well they ain't censored.
Okay, aside from that. The censoring is a preference for me, not a deal-breaker unless it's particularly absurd.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:01 pm

I hope they use the amazon masters. It would suck for them to be censored, especially after years of being uncut.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:16 pm

sangofe wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Yeah. I mean, I don't own any of them outside Path to Power, so I'll be getting them regardless, but I'd prefer them uncensored.
I'm willing to grit my teeth and give up a couple middle fingers if it means upgrading from the Funimation movie remasters to Toei's.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Kendamu wrote:I'm willing to grit my teeth and give up a couple middle fingers if it means upgrading from the Funimation movie remasters to Toei's.
But that means the terrorists win!

I doubt we'd get Toei's BD releases, maybe for TV viewings but for a niche market like people who collect anime, they HAVE to use the Netflix and Amazon versions...

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:14 pm

sangofe wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
I wonder if people actually know what's censored in the movies. Most of the blu rays look really good. If the dnr and censoring bother you then dbox dvds.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:02 pm

If it is the movies, if it's a anniversary set I hope it included the pioneer audio with the Funimations and the Japanese

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:36 pm

I hope its a collectors set like the Dragon Boxes were not just a blu ray disc :/. Lets hope, Lets finally get:

4/3
No DNR
No Color Correction
No Censorship
Collectors Set with Dragon Book or something extra

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:04 pm

even if we get it too, the Dragon Boxes on Blu-ray would b worth Importing from Japan

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:09 pm

If we got it too why would i import it i already have the Japan Dboxes and the US Dboxes i would only import if we didn't get the set :/

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:21 pm

they would be the Holy Grail of my collection

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:43 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:If we got it too why would i import it i already have the Japan Dboxes and the US Dboxes i would only import if we didn't get the set :/
I mean i have most of the FUNi Dragon Boxes myself, with the exception of volumes 4 and 7 so the main reason i'd get this is to fill in the gaps if it turns out that it is indeed a Dragon Box style release we're getting.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:52 pm

sangofe wrote:I just hope it's not the censored movies...
Aren't these already released in Japan though? I mean, the announcement said:
In February, along with Funimation, we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement
It appears it's a joint release/announcement by the wording. I don't think it makes sense for Toei to announce something that's already available. At least I hope not. I'm with most people here... I want an untouched 4:3 release with the video cleaned up (i.e. damage repaired and the color cast removed from the original prints).

Both the English and Japanese title cards and credits can be placed onto discs. BluRays have the technology to use alternate angles. Watch Star Wars, change the language, and watch the wall of text scroll up in Spanish on your English disc. There is not reason they cannot provide both on the same disc (only reason is lazy and cheap).

I do fear it might just be a "here's a new Dragon Box Movies" using the current footage in one box though (therefore making it collectible).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:43 pm

My problem with all this is it's just the Dragon Boxes all over again.

It's gonna be a solid release that's actually worthy of our time, but it's going to be super-limited, very overpriced for what it is, and in even a year or two from now, you're not going to be able to pick even a single volume of the series up in this format.

Making it "Collectable" is a surefire way of ruining a home video release, because its purpose as a good way of watching the show is thrown aside in favour of it becoming something for people to put on their shelf for their collection, and to sell on eBay for ten times what the thing's actually worth.
Much as I have my criticisms with the video mastering on the Rock The Dragon DVDs -- and believe me, I do; they're blurry, washed-out, and generally dull-looking compared to the original singles -- if you could actually buy the damn thing for a reasonable price, I wouldn't care, because it would mean I could actually buy a release of the version of Dragon Ball I grew up on. Instead, it's some ridiculous giant box that goes for several hundred pounds for a used copy imported from America that probably won't even play on my TV's DVD player because of region locking.

So... It'll be nice to see some good home video out for Dragon Ball, but it's going to be an overpriced, "Collectable", limited edition thing, and Funi will probably end up skipping DB and GT, even if Japan get those. So, even if it's a nice master, it's going to suck for anyone who's not got ridiculous amounts of disposable income, and it's going to suck for anyone who isn't actively keeping a pulse on goings-on with home video, and it's really going to suck for even the hardcore fans who can/will get it, because as I say, Funni will probably end up skipping DB and GT anyway, so even if you're going to drop a small fortune on this thing, you'll be getting less than two thirds of the run.

I hope I'm wrong; I hope all three series are covered, and it's kept in-print as a new wave of release that essentially phases out the Z Season BDs as anything other than the bargain bin release people pick up to save money, especially since DB and GT haven't been issued on BD yet, so having those in-print in HD is smart, and big boxsets of this sort tend to be the best way to buy a long-running show like this, so it would make sense to have something like that on shelves, and even if it's not limited, arguably that would still make it "Collectable", and if it's financially viable to do one run of this stuff, keeping it in print to suit demand could only be a good thing financially speaking, so it is possible, and I do hope I'm wrong and it goes this way...

But I'm probably right. >_<
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:03 pm

Robo4900 wrote:So... It'll be nice to see some good home video out for Dragon Ball, but it's going to be overpriced, "Collectable", limited edition, and Funi might end up skipping DB and GT, even if Japan get those. So, even if it's a nice master, it's going to suck for anyone who's not got ridiculous amounts of disposable income.
All of this is further compounded by how a large amount of anime much less popular than Dragon Ball manage to get quality, affordable home releases just as a matter of course. This franchise is always the odd one out despite being world renowned. For how influential they are, there need to be reference-quality, archival releases for Dragon Ball, Z, and GT... But the powers that be at Funimation and Toei can't even nail down basic features. Inconsistent color grading. Improper aspect ratios. Weird dub revisions. Lack of original broadcast Japanese audio, even in instances where it's readily available. Censored versions of the films. The casual fans are catered to because the idea is that they're too stupid to notice or care anyway, so why even bother?

And who can blame them? When the Levels came onto the scene, they were as close to perfect as a release could ever get at the time... And they under-performed. Previous releases of Dragon Ball and GT are good enough for me, but it's for that reason that I've almost given up any hope of there being a more than serviceable release of the Z portion. The only real glimmer of hope is Sabat getting a hold of the broadcast audio and the passionate fans that helped make it happen.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:07 pm

Kuwabara wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:So... It'll be nice to see some good home video out for Dragon Ball, but it's going to be overpriced, "Collectable", limited edition, and Funi might end up skipping DB and GT, even if Japan get those. So, even if it's a nice master, it's going to suck for anyone who's not got ridiculous amounts of disposable income.
All of this is further compounded by how a large amount of anime much less popular than Dragon Ball manage to get quality, affordable home releases just as a matter of course. This franchise is always the odd one out despite being world renowned. For how influential they are, there need to be reference-quality, archival releases for Dragon Ball, Z, and GT... But the powers that be at Funimation and Toei can't even nail down basic features. Inconsistent color grading. Improper aspect ratios. Weird dub revisions. Lack of original broadcast Japanese audio, even in instances where it's readily available. Censored versions of the films. The casual fans are catered to because the idea is that they're too stupid to notice or care anyway, so why even bother?
Yep. It's a profoundly sucky situation.
Kuwabara wrote:And who can blame them? When the Levels came onto the scene, they were as close to perfect as a release could ever get at the time... And they under-performed. Previous releases of Dragon Ball and GT are good enough for me if nothing else ever comes along to replace them, but it's for that reason that I've almost given up any hope of there being a more than serviceable release of the Z portion.
In fairness, by then the damage was done, and the Levels dropped at the worst possible time. No one wanted a new release of Dragon Ball Z in 2011. It was profoundly stupid, and the death of the Levels was -- as with most problems Funimation runs into in Dragon Ball -- entirely their own fault, unfortuantely.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:12 pm

If it's the series and collab between funi and tori, do you think we could get broadcast audio?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Kuwabara wrote:
Kuwabara wrote:And who can blame them? When the Levels came onto the scene, they were as close to perfect as a release could ever get at the time... And they under-performed. Previous releases of Dragon Ball and GT are good enough for me if nothing else ever comes along to replace them, but it's for that reason that I've almost given up any hope of there being a more than serviceable release of the Z portion.
In fairness, by then the damage was done, and the Levels dropped at the worst possible time. No one wanted a new release of Dragon Ball Z in 2011. It was profoundly stupid, and the death of the Levels was -- as with most problems Funimation runs into in Dragon Ball -- entirely their own fault, unfortuantely.
Yeah and it's really a damn shame too, because i was actually looking forward to them at the time but sadly FUNi screwed it up by releasing the sets right smack in the middle of the other releases at the same time (Kai, Dragon Box.etc) and with all of that going on nobody was interested or cared so sales sadly disappointed. If they had waited another two or three years until 2013 or 2014 then perhaps they would have been better received.

They were a great release in the wrong place at the wrong time, to put it frankly. I am quite glad that i decided to go with tracking down the FUNi Dragon Boxes because it really sucks that Z doesn't have even a remotely acceptable average joe release video quality and aspect ratio wise currently available in the States as of now.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:40 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Kuwabara wrote: All of this is further compounded by how a large amount of anime much less popular than Dragon Ball manage to get quality, affordable home releases just as a matter of course. This franchise is always the odd one out despite being world renowned. For how influential they are, there need to be reference-quality, archival releases for Dragon Ball, Z, and GT... But the powers that be at Funimation and Toei can't even nail down basic features. Inconsistent color grading. Improper aspect ratios. Weird dub revisions. Lack of original broadcast Japanese audio, even in instances where it's readily available. Censored versions of the films. The casual fans are catered to because the idea is that they're too stupid to notice or care anyway, so why even bother?
Yeah and it's really a damn shame too, because i was actually looking forward to them at the time but sadly FUNi screwed it up by releasing the sets right smack in the middle of the other releases at the same time (Kai, Dragon Box.etc) and with all of that going on nobody was interested or cared so sales sadly disappointed. If they had waited another two or three years until 2013 or 2014 then perhaps they would have been better received.

They were a great release in the wrong place at the wrong time, to put it frankly. I am quite glad that i decided to go with tracking down the FUNi Dragon Boxes because it really sucks that Z doesn't have even a remotely acceptable average joe release video quality and aspect ratio wise currently available in the States as of now.
I remember people complaining how grainy the footage was too, which prolly helped funi decide super dnr