Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by Bullza » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Are the UK numbers for the Pokemon film known? BM doesn't have the UK breakdown.
Yes this site has the UK box office figures.

https://www.25thframe.co.uk/detail-page ... irst_movie

Pokémon The First Movie made £2.8 million opening weekend and £10.7 million before it stopped tracking.

https://www.25thframe.co.uk/detail-page ... movie_2000

Pokémon The Movie 2000 made £2 million in total. Digimon is listed at £1.1 million as well.

Pokémon was huge, everyone knows that, the movie had a proper wide release where they even gave away a promotional card, it's also by far the most successful in America as well. So how they somehow have Spirited Away is being #1 makes no sense.
Fearless wrote:So is the movie done in US?
I think so, I don't see any more showings listed on AMC, I think it's why Box Office Mojo updated all the figures through the week in one go but that was meant to be the end.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:34 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
The Numbers have UK at $3,234,053 (as of February 12). What's going on? :?
That's a mistake. They listed what was the previously reported Argentina gross for the UK gross as well to the exact dollar.

It's different now but you can see that Argentina was listed at making exactly that amount before.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?p ... zbroly.htm

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:28 am

Well I got an answer directly from MangaUK itself.

"Pokémon The First Movie is classified in a different box office chart than Broly & Spirited Away. It's considered 'Kids & Family'."

So there's that cleared up.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:16 am

I'm a little surprised it didn't do more in Korea. I was certain DB was pretty big there.

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:25 am

Bullza wrote:"Pokémon The First Movie is classified in a different box office chart than Broly & Spirited Away. It's considered 'Kids & Family'."
Dragon Ball is for adults confirmed :!:

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 am

It always has been for teens and up so...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:51 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:It always has been for teens and up so...
No, it hasn't. Dragon Ball's demographic ranges from single digits to double digits.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:23 pm

Michsi wrote:I'm a little surprised it didn't do more in Korea. I was certain DB was pretty big there.
Well it's up to $254,000 having made $3,800 today. So it ain't got too much left in it. Still it's over $100,000 more than the last one. Any improvement is a good one.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Movie went up to $103.25 million worldwide as of the 19th. So an increase of almost $300,000 across the week. That doesn't look like it would be including the $250,000 or so from South Korea because it leaves virtually nothing for the remainder.

I don't know for sure but I also doubt it's been distributed by Fox in South Korea so it wouldn't be included anyway.

When you include all the non distributed Fox markets and the latest figures I at least know of, I get $111 million. Give or take.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:19 am

Bullza wrote:Movie went up to $103.25 million worldwide as of the 19th. So an increase of almost $300,000 across the week. That doesn't look like it would be including the $250,000 or so from South Korea because it leaves virtually nothing for the remainder.

I don't know for sure but I also doubt it's been distributed by Fox in South Korea so it wouldn't be included anyway.
Both Box Office Mojo and The Numbers added South Korea. The movie has made $211,843 (so far) there.

By the way, the movie in South Korea was distributed by Daewon Media.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:01 am

TheRed259 wrote:Both Box Office Mojo and The Numbers added South Korea. The movie has made $211,843 (so far) there.

By the way, the movie in South Korea was distributed by Daewon Media.
The $211,000 was as of Sunday. By Thursday it was at $255,000. Thanks for telling me the distributor because Mojo hasn't listed it for some reason.

Anyway it's also made $1.77 million in Spain. That's six times as much as Resurrection F.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:40 am

Bullza wrote:The $211,000 was as of Sunday. By Thursday it was at $255,000. Thanks for telling me the distributor because Mojo hasn't listed it for some reason.
I said that because The Numbers say that the movie has made $211,843 as of February 21. Don't know if this is a mistake or not though.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:18 am

TheRed259 wrote:I said that because The Numbers say that the movie has made $211,843 as of February 21. Don't know if this is a mistake or not though.
It's not a mistake, the difference is that on Box Office Mojo they give the date "As of" a certain date whereas The Numbers just gives the date the figure was reported.

So basically it was reported on the 21st that it made $211,000 as of the 17th.

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:35 am

So did the movie hit 4 billion mark yet?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:00 pm

Fearless wrote:So did the movie hit 4 billion mark yet?
That's something we won't know for a while. They've stopped tracking the movie now, the last known official figure was ¥3.90 billion and the last estimate I saw was ¥3.94 billion.

The final figure will be given in time when it's all finished and maybe when it's on the verge of being released on Blu Ray. Resurrection F went up ¥70 million after tracking so as long as Broly can do the same then it should reach it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:28 am

The movie will be released in Italy and France soon, which are two important markets.
In Italy it will be a wide release so I expect it to make at least 1 million of euros but it could easily make more.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:30 pm

Is there any update about China as well?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:08 am

emperior wrote:In Italy it will be a wide release so I expect it to make at least 1 million of euros but it could easily make more.
Well Italy was the biggest European market for Resurrection F last time. Doesn't mean that'll happen again but yeah that movie made $870,000 in Italy so anything above $1 million would be welcome.

Along with France and Portugal, a good $3 million between them would be pretty decent.
Fearless wrote:Is there any update about China as well?
I don't think so. One Piece Film Gold released in Japan 7/16 and then in China 11/16. So a gap of what was three and a half months. As that was a Toei movie, that might be the closest comparison.

Broly came out in Japan in the middle of December so if the gap was the same then it would release in China at the start of April. That's just a rough idea though, it could be whenever.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:11 am

Bullza wrote:
emperior wrote:In Italy it will be a wide release so I expect it to make at least 1 million of euros but it could easily make more.
Well Italy was the biggest European market for Resurrection F last time. Doesn't mean that'll happen again but yeah that movie made $870,000 in Italy so anything above $1 million would be welcome.

Along with France and Portugal, a good $3 million between them would be pretty decent.
Fearless wrote:Is there any update about China as well?
I don't think so. One Piece Film Gold released in Japan 7/16 and then in China 11/16. So a gap of what was three and a half months. As that was a Toei movie, that might be the closest comparison.

Broly came out in Japan in the middle of December so if the gap was the same then it would release in China at the start of April. That's just a rough idea though, it could be whenever.
France's market for dragon ball has declined a lot since the show went on pay TV only. And it didn't help battle of gods and F were limited or small runs. Maybe it'll help this time as they show the dub (which they didn't for the other mentioned movies), but the movie is kinda old news at this point.