"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kaiosama » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:02 am

alakazam^ wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:''I can't...turn into Super Saiyan?''

Is this the correct dialogue?
Yep, it is.

Edit: some more information available from some panels:

Moro can turn the energy he absorbs from planets and life into attacks.
Vegeeta can't beat Moro and, while in God, bluffs about not having any more power ups. Eventually, he turns Blue, with a flame-like aura, and can now evade Moro's magic attacks.
Flame-like aura. Isn't that the manga version of SSB Evolution?

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:04 am

Kaiosama wrote:Flame-like aura. Isn't that the manga version of SSB Evolution?
I don't remember well but it probably is.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:44 am

Kaiosama wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:''I can't...turn into Super Saiyan?''

Is this the correct dialogue?
Yep, it is.

Edit: some more information available from some panels:

Moro can turn the energy he absorbs from planets and life into attacks.
Vegeeta can't beat Moro and, while in God, bluffs about not having any more power ups. Eventually, he turns Blue, with a flame-like aura, and can now evade Moro's magic attacks.

Flame-like aura. Isn't that the manga version of SSB Evolution?
Yes
I'm glad Toyotaro did not forget the "Blue Evolved" as the Broly movie did.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 am

alakazam^ wrote:
I have a very serious question to ask someone about, why do you think the ever-Trollish likes of Akira Toriyama, Toyotarō, and the rest of the staff of Toei Animation really don't want Son Goku, Vegeta, and the rest of the main cast to ever want to learn from their many, many mistakes in order for all of the Z Fighters to take things seriously for a change? I mean a little bit of thinking would save them a lot of trouble in the long run, but of course obviously those Puppeteering them from just behind the very poorly-executed scenes aren't having any of it.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:05 am

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:17 am

RecolorSaiyan wrote:
How does it work? Can they no longer use their transformations or is it just the effect of Moro's magic at this moment?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:20 am

According to Cipher: "He can absorb the energy from every living thing on a planet, so Merus guesses that could mean Goku and Vegeta are having energy stolen just by being around him. As in, he could be doing his energy-robbing stuff as he's fighting."
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

micah007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by micah007 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:23 am

The energy drain is a nice touch but please let him have more creative magic attacks when he gets serious and as he gets stronger.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:30 am

4 chapters in. Still pretty solid. Hope the tension and pace pick up in the next chapter. Also hope Moro has more magical abilities.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:33 am

Kaiosama wrote: Flame-like aura. Isn't that the manga version of SSB Evolution?
Yes and no. You could say it's an equivalent to the anime's Blue Evolution, but the manga never presents it as anything more than another power-up for Blue rather than a transformation. It's just Blue with a new aura.

Similarly for Goku, in the manga's Tournament of Power, it's not Kaioken -- just a power-stressed Blue.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:38 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
Yes and no. You could say it's an equivalent to the anime's Blue Evolution, but the manga never presents it as anything more than another power-up for Blue rather than a transformation. It's just Blue with a new aura.

Similarly for Goku, in the manga's Tournament of Power, it's not Kaioken -- just a power-stressed Blue.
Which, imo, is stupid. Why not just use SSBKK and SSBE? Merge the continuities!
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:48 am

Steven Bloodriver wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:
I have a very serious question to ask someone about, why do you think the ever-Trollish likes of Akira Toriyama, Toyotarō, and the rest of the staff of Toei Animation really don't want Son Goku, Vegeta, and the rest of the main cast to ever want to learn from their many, many mistakes in order for all of the Z Fighters to take things seriously for a change? I mean a little bit of thinking would save them a lot of trouble in the long run, but of course obviously those Puppeteering them from just behind the very poorly-executed scenes aren't having any of it.

Probably because characters who aren’t perfect and make mistakes are far more intestesting characters. Though it is also true that characters that continue to make the same mistakes over and over again isn’t exactly good writing.

I love Goku and Vegeta as characters . I love their odd couple relationship and I love that the fact that their Saiyan nature is both a strength but can also be a weakness. However story wise it’s not interesting to always have Goku and Vegeta do the same thing. This is how really bringing in other characters can benefit. There needs to be conflict and the fight can’t be easy for Goku and Vegeta. So having a character make a mistake to push the story forward is not bad writing. The problem comes when it’s always Goku or Vegeta (well more often than not Vegeta) . Why not let another new character push the conflict forward and create character arcs for new characters instead?

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:57 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Which, imo, is stupid. Why not just use SSBKK and SSBE? Merge the continuities!
My guess is that Toriyama didn't create them, so Toyotaro didn't want to make that leap. I've noticed that he tends to create new variations for existing transformations rather than all-new transformations, like Trunks' strengthened Super Saiyan 2 (vs. Super Saiyan Rage) or the "completed" Blue.

I guess whichever you like more is up to preference, but given the way they were used in the story, I'm definitely partial to the manga's approach.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrolySSJL » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:58 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:

Which, imo, is stupid. Why not just use SSBKK and SSBE? Merge the continuities!
Are you serious?

SSBKK and SSBE are from Toei, not Toriyama... Thanks god is only an anime thing. Well, even in the Broly movie nobody mentions that shitty transformations.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:21 am

It looks good so far.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:24 am

We've seen energy stealing before from Yakon and the Androids, but we've never seen anyone using energy steal on such a mastered level before. So Moro has OP Lvl.100 energy stealing in the same way that Goku and Vegeta have OP Lvl.100 fighting power.
micah007 wrote:The energy drain is a nice touch but please let him have more creative magic attacks when he gets serious and as he gets stronger.
I think the only way to get creative here is if he really can do illusion based stuff. As regards more straightforward abilities, Dragonball has had them all already; time stopping, energy stealing, body swapping, absorption, transformation beams etc.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:30 am

Well that was boring.

We spent 40 pages going over something we learned of in Moro's introductory chapter.

I don't get the point of this arc. This is stupid and bad right now. This is like a Toei movie.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:35 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:4 chapters in. Still pretty solid. Hope the tension and pace pick up in the next chapter. Also hope Moro has more magical abilities.
Agreed, I have some hopes his magic isnt just an alternative to Ki and we get some Dr Strange, Western Wizardy stuff going on

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

TKA wrote:Well that was boring.

We spent 40 pages going over something we learned of in Moro's introductory chapter.

I don't get the point of this arc. This is stupid and bad right now. This is like a Toei movie.
Its early, some said 'I dont get the point of super' when it started, and its not like this is going to be over as fast as the mangas ROF arc. Patience my padawan.

Stupid and bad is subjective.

Toei movies are animated, dont be silly :P