Thinking of giving up Dragon Ball

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Thinking of giving up Dragon Ball

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:52 am

Yeah this has been on my mind a while now. As much as I love the series and enjoyed Super. I think my spark for the series is fading. While the new stuff has been fun, more and more I can’t help but feel what’s the point? As I see it Dragon Ball as a series really started to show problems in the Frieza arc, one of my favourites, the Android arc was a mess and the Buu arc was running on fumes. Since the the series has attempted to be continued twice, GT and Super, and while I liked them I just don’t see the point of them or continuing the series anymore. It’s fun sure but the series peaked long ago and it feels like it only keeps going because none will just let it be. Other series have there time then step aside, and I just can’t keep motivated in the series anymore.

This isen’t the only time I felt this. I read Naruto and enjoyed it, but I hated its bloated and overly convoluted ending and what that eventually lead to. I have never read Boroto. I don’t read Marvel or DC comics anymore because I read tons of them when I was younger and I’m old enough now to see story ideas and such repet themselves all be it with modern twists.

So I’m thinking of calling it quits and will probably sell of my Dragon Ball collection. If the series shows some real growth in the future, rather then just continuing, I’ll come back to it but for now I’m leaving Dragon Ball behind.

To quote the earths second smartest life form, “so long and thanks for all the fish”.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Re: Thinking of giving up Dragon Ball

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:22 pm

It's perfectly healthy/natural to take a break from it.

I did that around 2011. I was a middle school student just heading into high school and I was simply too absorbed in it. I spent 7-8 hours a day on this board and watching the series. It consumed me and my social/academic life took a hit. I took a break for two years, and came back around Battle of Gods but still don't really get involved anymore.

It's still my favorite show, always has, always will be, but you have to put it down every now and then. I started listening to more music, watching other anime and falling in love with them (Galaxy Express 999 is legendary).

You don't have to go away forever. Put it down for a few weeks or months and see how you feel. :)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:29 pm

A down time like now while the TV series is on break and the movie is over is a good time to do it, imo.

I'm way less active atm because the mainline part of the series is on break. The manga is once a month and that's been hit or miss for me. None of the upcoming games interest me and SDBH has mostly been a miss for me even though I like some of the new outfits. The most recent episode felt better, but it's still not what I'm here for.

I'm not at the selling my stuff point, but I can see how someone would get there. Lots of research involved in that with pricing stuff; good luck!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:33 pm

I cycle in and out of shows (particularly shows who have already ended) all the time

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:37 pm

I don't really get the whole selling merchandise stance.

Sure, if you've only been involved in a franchise for a relatively short amount of time I could understand, but Dragon Ball is an entity that's been a part of a lot people's lives for literally decades at this point, from childhood to adulthood. Obviously I don't know your specific history/relationship with the franchise, but if it ever got to the point where I call it quits with the series, selling merchandise is honestly an action I would never take.

Speaking from a personal stance, Dragon Ball has had a huge influence on me and my development at various stages of my life and there's just too much history for me throw it all away if I end up leaving the series for good. At the very least, I would store all of it for collectors purposes, or pass them on to my children in the future and let them experience the franchise that I once loved so dearly when I was a young man.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I just need a break, maybe I'm just going to drift away for good time will tell. But either way time away is something thats just enevitable at this point. The series just... it feels hollow now. Not that stuff isn't intreasting anymore its just I don't feel mind get the same rush. I did have a drop in my fandom back when dragon ball stopped airing in the UK, for years their was no way to watch it until I was able to by abroad but this feels different. I've been following it diligently for more then 15 years since then. Maybe its just me getting older and burn out.

Now days I also have other things I'm more interested in also. My first passion even till today was dinosaurs and prehistoric life, movies, games, science the lot. Well now that life's in a good place and I've finally got a decent job that I love, I've taken up amature fossil hunting and collecting as well as taking time to read more hard scientific data on the subject. It's an older love then even dragon ball for me and maybe it's now drawing off my passion. Hell it's gotten so bad that I'm translating a manga called Blue Hole purely because it has dinosaurs in it, which has lead to me getting interested in the works Yukinobu Hoshino. Most of his stuff is more mature, hard sci-fi style manga. Side Note - I'm not posting my translations online out of respect for the author and to avoid legal issues. I'm also pretty into giant robot style anime and am collecting that.

This ties into why I might to sell my stuff. I don't need it. While parts of super slip my mind now and again, I know the entire plot of Dragon Ball from start to finish, to movies, to GT and game stories almost like the back of my hand minus maybe some of the filler. I dare say there are few other works of fiction I could recount in almost perfect detail as I could dragon ball. On the subject if the future and kids, well lets just say that while everything else is green, that side of my life is practically non-existent. I'm not an ogre or anything, but I've had to put a lot of time into my studies and work so I never really developed the skills or social circle for that kind of thing. While I am doing something about it, matters of the heart and attraction are things completely beyond our control so I cannot say with any certainty that that kind of stuff is in my future. So I'm not making any hard plans on that front. With that bit of melancholic, over sharing out of the way, if I sell my dragon ball stuff it will also give me the funds and room to put towards fossil hunting.

What ever I do, I'll give it some time and think on it first. But I'm also not one to drag my feet when it comes to getting a move on either. So this is gonna be good Kanzenshuu, be it temporary or permanent. I've had a lot of fun here and while I did have my jerk moments I hope I wasn't totally insufferable. Good luck to you all and good luck Dragon Ball. I hope the future of the franchise is a bright one and if it burns bright enough, maybe I'll come back.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:14 am

I can honestly see why You would want to take are break or lesson your fandom overtime. Honestly I have been their and was for a good portion of the Last few years even when Super started. I was up and down and still always liked the concepts of fights and power ups, but it was more style then anything else. Super Felt like it was on Cruise Control for most of its run until the ToP saga started, so I was never into it and can see why many fans either leave or never get back in at all for SO many reasons.

Each fan has a choice and sometimes it is good to take a break or if you decided to quit slowly all together cause it makes total sense with the reasons you are giving. I have been their recently too even after the ToP Saga and if Super 2.0 does not end up filling out what I hope it does I might find myself entering the exit door as well down the line, Seriously!

But the only thing I would suggest is don't be to hasty in selling off all you collections and stuff. That is a Big Decisions and I know from experience that I say thing it over cause once it is done it is a hard craw to get it back if you figure out later on you made a mistake in selling it off. Make sure you think it over and commit this is the right course, just some health advice form one collector and friend to the next Lord Frieza.

Also just one other thing that might keep you in DB. With how I saw and experience your enthusiasm for Universe 11 and Jiren, usually I find the additions to such New Blood to such long running series to be the main driving force in keeping a fandom alive. I can be a refreshing way to stick to a series, being their to support New Characters you want to succeed and see how they evolve with the show, it honestly is a Major Up-Lifter to ones fandom when you are feeling down about it!

Honestly it has worked Wonders for me, ALL the Reasons I have come back to DB Fandom and the Franchise is Mostly ALL thanks to the intro of Universe 2 and Ribrianne/Brianne for me and You know how much I LOVE those characters and concepts! Same can be with you, Jiren, Toppo and Universe 11!

Indeed such in depth fandom can be a maker or breaker of a series indeed if things don't work out for who you like, I am fully aware of this for myself as well, but it makes the show more interesting and exciting to see and speculate how you want your new favorites to go forward and progress!

Anyways Any Choices are Fully yours, Peace and Honor Always to you Lord Frieza in what you do!

You are a Good Friend, Knowledgeable and and Good Fan, Good Luck in anything you do! :thumbup: :angel:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:48 am

Not only I think of giving up Dragon Ball, but I think of giving up Kanzenshuu too.

I just don't have the same time or patience to it anymore.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:18 am

Lord Frieza wrote:
Now days I also have other things I'm more interested in also. My first passion even till today was dinosaurs and prehistoric life, movies, games, science the lot. Well now that life's in a good place and I've finally got a decent job that I love, I've taken up amature fossil hunting and collecting as well as taking time to read more hard scientific data on the subject. It's an older love then even dragon ball for me and maybe it's now drawing off my passion. Hell it's gotten so bad that I'm translating a manga called Blue Hole purely because it has dinosaurs in it, which has lead to me getting interested in the works Yukinobu Hoshino.
For what it's worth, this is a Good Thing :) Few things are better than a job you actually enjoy. DB, in the end, is a children's show/comic. Branching out beyond that is fantastic. Go do other things; DB isn't going anywhere :)
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:39 am

I’ll give my two cents sense I actually did quit DB after the ToP as evidenced by me not even coming to this site anymore. To be honest I was already disconnected and forcing myself to be aware of what was going on in DB. I’ve decided modern DB is not for me and I completely ignore any and all post GT works. I just can’t seem to get myself into new Dragonball and that’s ok. I ever tried to go manga only but everything just feels like an empty fan made rehash at this point. Even the new arc in the manga is revisiting Boo and the kaioshin... and seriously it’s tiring and on a deeper level makes my stomach twist in knots knowing DB has really lost its ability to make new and interesting stories for me.

I’m not going to really go down this road but BoG was fresh but then came RoF which rehashed Frieza then Super which rehashed 2 movies, then Future Trunks arc which brought back Kaioshin and Trunks. Then the ToP which Tournaments seem like the go to arcs in DB for padding out plots. Now we get a rehashed Broly and DB minus. I’m tired of it. It doesn’t feel like the lore is added to. Rather the lore being created is bolted on to existing lore which is really uninteresting and makes Goku feel like the center of the mutltiverse rather just being a resident in a massive and interesting world.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:50 pm

There's quite literally absolutely nothing wrong with feeling that way. Eventually things like this can become stale and just feel like they aren't worth the time investment anymore. I have gone in and out of following/discussing Dragon Ball basically since 2001. I get bored of re-reading, or re-watching, or just talking about the series eventually, but I always get sucked back in. It's just natural to feel like it isn't a fit for your life anymore, and I wouldn't necessarily blame you if you never feel like it is worth the time investment again. As much as any of us would like to, you'll probably never be able to re-create that feeling you had for Dragon Ball from first experiencing it, and a lot of people spend time chasing that feeling. At the end of the day, it is a "kid's show", that may not be able to satisfy every adult's mind anyway. But if you decide to come back, it isn't going anywhere, and I'm sure people here would be happy to discuss things with you again!

And like others have said, if this is a temporary break, then it is a great time for one given that the main show is on break at the moment.

As fat as modern Dragon Ball souring you on the series, I can't really relate to you at all. When the series ended originally, the Buu arc just left a bad taste in my mouth, and it always felt incomplete to me, like it was just itching to continue with new stories. I've had an absolute blast witnessing all of the lore being added to, and all of the new stories that have been added to this franchise. I could go on and on about everything I've enjoyed about it, even though obviously there's some things that frustrate me. And I don't really hold the retellings against the series, or even consider them really "rehashes" because they were vital to implement with the rest of the series in mind, because without some important changes made to it, those two stories wouldn't work with the rest of Super and it needed a way to stand-alone as it's own series rather than depending on the movies to "bridge the gap."

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:10 pm

I honestly think some of us should just move on. I am thinking about creating a thread for this. :thumbup:

Edit: 100th post.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:49 am

I eventually get tired of every one of my fandoms, but I always inevitably want to come back to it someday. Usually, it's just short breaks, but I'd never sell off the things I love because eventually I always return to them.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

coltigore

Post by coltigore » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:53 am

I only got into dragon ball around Summer of 2018. I quickly got obsessed and in March of 2019 it was all I was capable of talking about and it wasn't exactly healthy. I ended up taking a break by branching out into other animes, and now I love shows like JoJo, My Hero Academia, and one piece. I still love DB to death, and still read the manga monthly, but I needed a break, and I took it. It was ultimately for the better good of my social health.

mancini

Post by mancini » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:26 am

a sudden break would arouse huge enthusiasm after a short while. Deploy your break on something mind-blowing

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:55 am

Being a fan of something (it can be everything) does not mean, in my opinion, one should be invested in it constantly, day in day out, for years and years non-stop without taking a break. Being invested in something, even when it's a hobby and not work, demands energy. Taking a time off from a certain hobby gives energy for new things, as well as it is a manner to harvest renewed energy for a latter period of intrest in the same thing. Taking a break now and then helps staying invested in the long run.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:05 pm

Yeah, I honestly need to get away from fandom. It's just too stressful and I stress enough over important issues that effect me and the real world already.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter