Is the tv edit of Tree of Might available outside Rock the Dragon

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Is the tv edit of Tree of Might available outside Rock the Dragon

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Far as I know the only place it was made available was the Rock the Dragon set which includes the 3 movies as they aired on Toonami (movie 1 and 2 lightly edited for content and Rock the Dragon replacing Head Cha la, and the three part Tree of Might tv version edited into a single movie with the Saban music and mandated censorship)

superfan2024
Regular

Re: Is the tv edit of Tree of Might available outside Rock the Dragon

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Far as I know the only place it was made available was the Rock the Dragon set which includes the 3 movies as they aired on Toonami (movie 1 and 2 lightly edited for content and Rock the Dragon replacing Head Cha la, and the three part Tree of Might tv version edited into a single movie with the Saban music and mandated censorship)
Not as far as I know.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Unfortunately there's no other release for the TV dub of Tree of Might apart from the Rock the Dragon set. All the singles (which are out of print but can be found on Ebay from time to time) contain either the uncut Pioneer or remastered dub.

Now, if Manga UK goes through with their own version of Rock the Dragon (which seems unlikely now) perhaps there will be another way of obtaining that dub or if Funimation puts out a Saban dub Blu-Ray. Only time will tell.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:08 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Unfortunately there's no other release for the TV dub of Tree of Might apart from the Rock the Dragon set. All the singles (which are out of print but can be found on Ebay from time to time) contain either the uncut Pioneer or remastered dub.

Now, if Manga UK goes through with their own version of Rock the Dragon (which seems unlikely now) perhaps there will be another way of obtaining that dub or if Funimation puts out a Saban dub Blu-Ray. Only time will tell.
Madman didn't author a PAL version of Rock the Dragon so very unlikely Manga UK would, Manga UK generally just gets what Madman has already done. I love how people put so much faith in Manga UK.

This is from Manga UK's Dragon Ball Kai: Season 2, Disc 4:

Look up those names and it'll confirm this wasn't done by Manga UK. Manga UK only made the covers and even then, it was more or less the same covers as always, except with the BBFC rating logos.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:40 am

Manga's Dragon Ball Super BDs are just the Funimation discs with the region code and logos changed, even keeping the ads for Speed Racer (not licensed here) and Funimation Now (a rival).
Neither Manga UK or Madman are above using NTSC discs now, so I don't think a lack of PAL masters would be an issue, but they would have to pay the BBFC about £11,460 for an age rating.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:49 pm

I certainly don't have a lot of faith in Manga UK. As I said I think its unlikely we will get Rock the Dragon (and by extension another way of owning the TV edit of Tree of Might), but since they can theoretically acquire it from Funimation and have done releases without a PAL equivalent I still think there's a slim chance of it happening, certainly moreso than any of the post-Funi Ocean dubs getting released (which we know there's pretty much no chance of) and I urge anyone who wants it to happen to demand it.

That £11,460 might sound like a lot but its still a fraction of what Broly made at the UK box office and what Manga's cut of the profits would likely be.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:09 pm

LostTimeLord wrote:but they would have to pay the BBFC about £11,460 for an age rating.
So Manga UK said that their Dragon Ball Kai releases sold poorly but they still licensed Kai TFC? TFC may have been even worse in sales than Kai was.

UK has a really shitty anime distributor but hey, at least it has one unlike Portugal. :P

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:42 am

LostTimeLord wrote:Manga's Dragon Ball Super BDs are just the Funimation discs with the region code and logos changed, even keeping the ads for Speed Racer (not licensed here) and Funimation Now (a rival).
Neither Manga UK or Madman are above using NTSC discs now, so I don't think a lack of PAL masters would be an issue, but they would have to pay the BBFC about £11,460 for an age rating.
If Manga UK is sub-licensing shows from Funimation, then they are more of a business partner than they are a rival.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:49 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
LostTimeLord wrote:but they would have to pay the BBFC about £11,460 for an age rating.
So Manga UK said that their Dragon Ball Kai releases sold poorly but they still licensed Kai TFC? TFC may have been even worse in sales than Kai was.

UK has a really shitty anime distributor but hey, at least it has one unlike Portugal. :P
I get why you have a problem with Manga UK, but I don't agree with your example here. Fans had been asking for TFC for ages, so I don't see how them licensing it makes them shitty. If anything it shows they were willing to risk it underselling to please the fans who did care about it. What would have been shitty is if they'd never released TFC and left fans who bought Kai 1.0 hanging forever.

Really the only annoying thing is that they did take a very long time to release it, and even mislead fans by claiming it was unlikely they'd ever release it only to do so after. I even imported it because of their comments about probably not releasing it. But again the annoying thing isn't the fact that they released it, but the fact that they lead many people to believe they never would.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:33 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

I get why you have a problem with Manga UK, but I don't agree with your example here. Fans had been asking for TFC for ages, so I don't see how them licensing it makes them shitty. If anything it shows they were willing to risk it underselling to please the fans who did care about it. What would have been shitty is if they'd never released TFC and left fans who bought Kai 1.0 hanging forever.

Really the only annoying thing is that they did take a very long time to release it, and even mislead fans by claiming it was unlikely they'd ever release it only to do so after. I even imported it because of their comments about probably not releasing it. But again the annoying thing isn't the fact that they released it, but the fact that they lead many people to believe they never would.
I don't have as much of a problem with Manga UK as most people do. The problem with the subbed Fortuneteller Baba episode was inexcusable. Keeping Yamamoto for episodes 1-39 on the Kai Blu-Rays was also nice, but likely a happy accident. I fully understand that they copy and paste disc content from Funimation and Madman for budgetary reasons. That's not a big deal. Their packaging is also not bad. The banana bricks and their releases of the movies are probably the most aesthetically pleasing of any release out there, even though the actual art on the cover of the movie Blu-Rays is not by Manga UK, they still make good selections, and the holographic slipcover for the Resurrection F Collector's Edition was gorgeous.

TFC is just an example of where I think its necessary to give Manga UK constructive criticism. They could have said "We're looking into it" to questions about TFC, I think that would go a lot further in developing trust between Manga and their customers when it comes to keeping their hopes and desires in mind. I think a lot less of Manga's customers would have been willing to import if they were given some indication that it was being seriously considered. They were only shooting themselves in the foot by giving the fans any reason to doubt them, and now they are doing the same thing with Rock the Dragon by not giving any hints it is still coming. And in relation to the thread topic, releasing Rock the Dragon would mean a lot of fans could collect rarities like the old Saban dub, and especially the edited Tree of Might for much cheaper prices than they will find on the second hand market, even if it would be a risk and wouldn't sell as well as the standard releases, which a lot of people import anyway.

As I said I don't think Manga UK are a terrible company, they just need to be made more aware of the many ways they can distinguish themselves from other distributors that release Dragon Ball, because they could do much more.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:53 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I get why you have a problem with Manga UK, but I don't agree with your example here. Fans had been asking for TFC for ages, so I don't see how them licensing it makes them shitty. If anything it shows they were willing to risk it underselling to please the fans who did care about it. What would have been shitty is if they'd never released TFC and left fans who bought Kai 1.0 hanging forever.

Manga UK has little to no control in regards to quality control and just release it as is. Take the Dragon Ball Saga Sets, they just used Madman's discs exactly as they were and never bothered to fix the errors that were on the Fortuneteller Baba arc.

Selecta Visión, Kazé, Madman and FUNimation are all vastly superior and act professionally. Well, FUNimation and professionalism is debatable but, at least for the products themselves are mostly professional.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:35 am

I think its sad no recordings exist of the T.O.M dub as it originally aired in November 1997, sliced into three TV episodes. It might be the only thing FUNi and Ocean have done that doesn't exist in any capacity on the internet. I mean, even all the Westwood and Blue Water era stuff that only ever aired once has been preserved online, yet this (and most of the promotional stuff from when DBZ was airing in syndication) has seemingly been lost to the ages.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:40 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:I think its sad no recordings exist of the T.O.M dub as it originally aired in November 1997, sliced into three TV episodes. It might be the only thing FUNi and Ocean have done that doesn't exist in any capacity on the internet. I mean, even all the Westwood and Blue Water era stuff that only ever aired once has been preserved online, yet this (and most of the promotional stuff from when DBZ was airing in syndication) has seemingly been lost to the ages.
I feel like they should have included it in Rock the Dragon but I guess they wanted to present that set “as it aired on Toonami”

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:14 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:I think its sad no recordings exist of the T.O.M dub as it originally aired in November 1997, sliced into three TV episodes. It might be the only thing FUNi and Ocean have done that doesn't exist in any capacity on the internet. I mean, even all the Westwood and Blue Water era stuff that only ever aired once has been preserved online, yet this (and most of the promotional stuff from when DBZ was airing in syndication) has seemingly been lost to the ages.
That surprises me as well, I remember when they aired it that way and had no idea it was a movie, and wasn't even bothered by the fact that people who died were alive in this mini saga :lol:
I wonder if it's lost, or FUNimation just forgot they cut up the movie like that?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:37 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
That surprises me as well, I remember when they aired it that way and had no idea it was a movie, and wasn't even bothered by the fact that people who died were alive in this mini saga :lol:
I wonder if it's lost, or FUNimation just forgot they cut up the movie like that?
I mean, you would think they would have that split up episodic version somewhere in their archives along with the full length movie version. That is really quite surprising because i can remember that version airing on Cartoon Network back when they played movies 1-3 on Toonami.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)