"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by Noah » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:03 pm

Doctor. wrote:Not the appropriate thread, but I feel it's more likely to get a response here: do we know who did the sound effects for this? Was it Arai?
It wasn't, but gosh I miss Hidenori Arai in this series... Can't believe they made a Broly movie without this iconic sound.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:33 am

About Shintani’s latest interview, I have to say that I’m extremely glad of the approach they took for the movie, and I hope they will stick to it in the future. Ever since I saw One Punch Man I wanted Dragon Ball to take a similar approach to its shading, as it’s a perfect compromise for fans who like the minimal shading we had during the Maeda era, and fans who preferred the more intense shading the anime started to use later on the series, especially when Yamamuro took over.

I wouldn’t mind it if they sticked to simple shading for fighting scenes too, but it seems like that’s still up to the animators’ freedom. For example, I absolutely loved the short sparring between Goku and Vegeta: I think that’s a perfect example to show how minimalistic shading works so well for fighting scenes too, but then I wouldn’t want animators like Shida to stop doing their awesome shading.

I’m also happy to see Toriyama finally having an hands-on approach over the animation designs. Shintani is absolutely incredible, but having Toriyama oversee and correct his work is absolutely needed and appreciated by me.
I would like it if they could show more of this behind the scenes stuff that happened, such as Shintani’s audition drawings, and all the corrections Toriyama did. I mean, they show this kind of stuff for the manga so I don’t see why they shouldn’t do the same for the movie.
A while ago they said that Toriyama’s own designs for the movie would have been unveiled at a later date, so I’m crossing my fingers they will include all this interesting stuff in the Blu-Ray release of the movie.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:51 pm

Did Koudai Watanabe animate the scene where Broly kicks the shit outta Freeza, forcing him to go Golden and the fusion dance that follows it? There's something about all of that stuff that reminds me of his work after rewatching the film several times.

SkyZer0

Post by SkyZer0 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:10 pm

Man, that's a lot pages to catch up on. What's up guys? After finding this forum/thread from Ajay a few days ago, I decided to read from pretty much beginning to end. I've been a lifelong Dragonball fan growing up with the original Ocean dub in the 90's on cartoonnetwork. I'm also a big fan and have always had an interest in animation and old-school pencil drawings I've done here and there of Dragonball myself, but little did I know I'd find this level of animation discussion to be so interesting.

I've been a big fan of Ajay for quite some time now. He probably doesn't remember or recognize my name but we've interacted off and on through twitter. I first discovered Ajay toward the end of Super in the ToP arc as it was still running. Probably around November or December of 2017? I ran across this video about "animation breakdown episode ###" and was like, "well this seems different/interesting". And ever since then pretty much been hooked on his content and knowledge. Before this discovery I knew absolutely NOTHING about Dragonball staff, directors, art directors, supervisor history, really nothing. My world was blown wide open into this aspect of Dragonball and quite frankly had no idea I had such a HUGE interest in this stuff. Obviously I knew Toiryama, and I always knew of certain styles, particularly Takahashi's style, and that aethstetic, just not familiar with any of the names. To be quite honest, I really had no idea how bad Dragonabll had looked for the past decade + until I saw Ajay talk about this new movie that was announced since Dec. 2017. Seeing the new footage, and listening to why this new animation style makes for better animation just made it so blatant and abundantly clear that Yamamuro's way of animation from movies like F, BoG and just Super in general were the antithesis of fluid animation in general. I seriously owe all my new knowledge to Ajay and can't thank him enough. whole reason I'm here lol.

I will admit, I am a huge Takahashi fan. I've always loved his art and how he particularly draws the eyes of Dragonball and the shading. HOWEVER, while I still am a fan, I can't quite say I am the same fan I once was after this new movie. Naotoshi Shida absolutely blew my mind this movie, and I particularly really love his art aside from the actual animation he's known for. As well as people like Ryo Onishi, I couldn't appreciate these guys enough and their animation and style differences compared to someone like Takahashi, who I've always loved in terms the "look" of Dragonball. It took me a second to adjust to these new designs from Shintani, especially some of Ryo Onishi's stuff, and then the movie in general at first. but god. I love it all to death now. And at the moment particularly in love with the combination of Shida and Shintani. I had been mega-hyped for this movie since it was first announced December of 2017, and the time leading up until it's release had been sharing Yamamuro design sheet comparisons with Shintani's to show to friends; just how much of a big deal this movie was and I absolutely couldn't stress that enough, and I never would've fully realized how big of a deal the movie was had it not been for discovering Ajay.

So yeah, that's my introductory post. Haven't been on a proper old-school message board in quite a while too. always nice to get away from the 'twitters' and 'reddits' that make up the net nowadays :P

Thanks guys, can't wait for what the future of DB has in store for us and am really glad I'll be here this time around from the beginning to talk about and discuss it with you all!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:04 am

SkyZer0 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:10 pm Man, that's a lot pages to catch up on. What's up guys? After finding this forum/thread from Ajay a few days ago, I decided to read from pretty much beginning to end. I've been a lifelong Dragonball fan growing up with the original Ocean dub in the 90's on cartoonnetwork. I'm also a big fan and have always had an interest in animation and old-school pencil drawings I've done here and there of Dragonball myself, but little did I know I'd find this level of animation discussion to be so interesting.

I've been a big fan of Ajay for quite some time now. He probably doesn't remember or recognize my name but we've interacted off and on through twitter. I first discovered Ajay toward the end of Super in the ToP arc as it was still running. Probably around November or December of 2017? I ran across this video about "animation breakdown episode ###" and was like, "well this seems different/interesting". And ever since then pretty much been hooked on his content and knowledge. Before this discovery I knew absolutely NOTHING about Dragonball staff, directors, art directors, supervisor history, really nothing. My world was blown wide open into this aspect of Dragonball and quite frankly had no idea I had such a HUGE interest in this stuff. Obviously I knew Toiryama, and I always knew of certain styles, particularly Takahashi's style, and that aethstetic, just not familiar with any of the names. To be quite honest, I really had no idea how bad Dragonabll had looked for the past decade + until I saw Ajay talk about this new movie that was announced since Dec. 2017. Seeing the new footage, and listening to why this new animation style makes for better animation just made it so blatant and abundantly clear that Yamamuro's way of animation from movies like F, BoG and just Super in general were the antithesis of fluid animation in general. I seriously owe all my new knowledge to Ajay and can't thank him enough. whole reason I'm here lol.

I will admit, I am a huge Takahashi fan. I've always loved his art and how he particularly draws the eyes of Dragonball and the shading. HOWEVER, while I still am a fan, I can't quite say I am the same fan I once was after this new movie. Naotoshi Shida absolutely blew my mind this movie, and I particularly really love his art aside from the actual animation he's known for. As well as people like Ryo Onishi, I couldn't appreciate these guys enough and their animation and style differences compared to someone like Takahashi, who I've always loved in terms the "look" of Dragonball. It took me a second to adjust to these new designs from Shintani, especially some of Ryo Onishi's stuff, and then the movie in general at first. but god. I love it all to death now. And at the moment particularly in love with the combination of Shida and Shintani. I had been mega-hyped for this movie since it was first announced December of 2017, and the time leading up until it's release had been sharing Yamamuro design sheet comparisons with Shintani's to show to friends; just how much of a big deal this movie was and I absolutely couldn't stress that enough, and I never would've fully realized how big of a deal the movie was had it not been for discovering Ajay.

So yeah, that's my introductory post. Haven't been on a proper old-school message board in quite a while too. always nice to get away from the 'twitters' and 'reddits' that make up the net nowadays :P

Thanks guys, can't wait for what the future of DB has in store for us and am really glad I'll be here this time around from the beginning to talk about and discuss it with you all!
Welcome to the forum.

What would people say the best scene from the movie in terms of animation?

Going to go with the de facto answer, and say that Ryo Onishi's four minute monstrosity of a scene is the best animated in the film(as well as probably from the entire franchise).

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 am

JazzMazz wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:04 amGoing to go with the de facto answer, and say that Ryo Onishi's four minute monstrosity of a scene is the best animated in the film(as well as probably from the entire franchise).
Onishi's scene is so good that it makes me want to forget everything about it just so I can experience it for the first time again. My jaw was on the floor when one shot seamlessly transitioned into Broly's point of view. That was unbelievable. Easily the best piece of animation in all of Dragon Ball.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:21 pm

Looks like no battle damaged designs, so they may have just been SB in then which would explain why things like Bandai's Masterlise SSGSS Goku albeit was blue shirt had no actual damage. Think the only new thing design wise the "special booklet" had were some expressions. Still no Toriyama designs too by the looks of it. What could they be saving them for then?

SkyZer0

Post by SkyZer0 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:01 pm

I absolutely love these

wish we got more from SSB Vegeta. most of him was CGI.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:33 am

SkyZer0 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:01 pm I absolutely love these

wish we got more from SSB Vegeta. most of him was CGI.
LOL at creating a design for a character that wasn't even animated for the most part. :lol:

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:01 am

JazzMazz wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:33 am LOL at creating a design for a character that wasn't even animated for the most part. :lol:
SSJB Vegeta was literally only on screen for around 50 seconds and was only hand drawn in Tate's bit of animation where him and Goku retreat from the fight with instant transmission. Besides that, he was a CG model for the whole time. :lol:

SkyZer0

Post by SkyZer0 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:26 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:01 am
JazzMazz wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:33 am LOL at creating a design for a character that wasn't even animated for the most part. :lol:
SSJB Vegeta was literally only on screen for around 50 seconds and was only hand drawn in Tate's bit of animation where him and Goku retreat from the fight with instant transmission. Besides that, he was a CG model for the whole time. :lol:
yeah that was annoying....

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:11 pm

Ryota Nakamura, who served as series director for Super when the Universal Survival arc began with Tatsuya Nagamine and then was the sole series director when Nagamine was appointed as director for DBS Broly, is an assistant director for the One Piece Stampede movie.

At least we now know what he's been doing since Super ended.

SkyZer0

Post by SkyZer0 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:11 pm Ryota Nakamura, who served as series director for Super when the Universal Survival arc began with Tatsuya Nagamine and then was the sole series director when Nagamine was appointed as director for DBS Broly, is an assistant director for the One Piece Stampede movie.

so what you're saying is Super is never coming back. ever.

got it

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:07 pm

SkyZer0 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:49 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:11 pm Ryota Nakamura, who served as series director for Super when the Universal Survival arc began with Tatsuya Nagamine and then was the sole series director when Nagamine was appointed as director for DBS Broly, is an assistant director for the One Piece Stampede movie.

got it
I didn't say that. I'm just saying we at least have an idea of what he's been doing since Super ended.

SkyZer0

Post by SkyZer0 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:54 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:07 pm
SkyZer0 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:49 pm

got it
I didn't say that. I'm just saying we at least have an idea of what he's been doing since Super ended.
I know, just meming.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:34 pm

It could be that Karasawa is the series director...or even someone else. We know that the series has been in production so it's interesting to see that Nakamura was on this movie but let's not forget: do you not remember how much Nishio Daisuke and Yama'uchi Shigeyasu personally did themselves while being the series directors of Dragon Ball Z? Storyboards and directing on episodes and movies very regularly. Nakamura could still have been working on both projects.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:48 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:34 pm It could be that Karasawa is the series director...or even someone else. We know that the series has been in production so it's interesting to see that Nakamura was on this movie but let's not forget: do you not remember how much Nishio Daisuke and Yama'uchi Shigeyasu personally did themselves while being the series directors of Dragon Ball Z? Storyboards and directing on episodes and movies very regularly. Nakamura could still have been working on both projects.
Why not bring back Daisuke & Shigeyasu for SUPER??? why don't other veterans of the Dragon Ball Anime return?
more Cel Animation blend with new Animation techniques and stuff the same type of experimentation that made 'Broly' a success

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:28 pm

I not had noticed some references

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:28 pm I not had noticed some references
The difference in quality is truly night and day. This really hammers home how much a good character design can elevate any given scene from an aesthetic standpoint.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:16 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:28 pm I not had noticed some references

The yam shots look better tbh