Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:24 am

Robo4900 wrote:There's a panel you can find where Ian Corlett explains that, while writing scripts for BLT DB, they had some trouble with one particular scene and phoned up a guy from Toei of Japan to ask about it, and he very helpfully explained what was going on.

This, combined with the fact the BLT dub was pretty definitely based off of solid translations(Honestly, if it wasn't for the -- surprisingly minor -- censorship, it'd be Pioneer-level accuracy, pretty much), ditto for the Saban dub, and given what we saw with the Pioneer dub... I think it was just a case of Funi cheaping out and being incompetent, and even where they did get workable scripts somehow, their script adapting team always screwed it the hell up, beyond recognition; case in point: GT. Clearly based off of a solid translation, but rewritten and revised into something entirely different, and unspeakably worse, regardless of your thoughts on GT itself.
Huh, okay, I've always wondered about that. Thanks for the info!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:44 am

KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:There's a panel you can find where Ian Corlett explains that, while writing scripts for BLT DB, they had some trouble with one particular scene and phoned up a guy from Toei of Japan to ask about it, and he very helpfully explained what was going on.

This, combined with the fact the BLT dub was pretty definitely based off of solid translations(Honestly, if it wasn't for the -- surprisingly minor -- censorship, it'd be Pioneer-level accuracy, pretty much), ditto for the Saban dub, and given what we saw with the Pioneer dub... I think it was just a case of Funi cheaping out and being incompetent, and even where they did get workable scripts somehow, their script adapting team always screwed it the hell up, beyond recognition; case in point: GT. Clearly based off of a solid translation, but rewritten and revised into something entirely different, and unspeakably worse, regardless of your thoughts on GT itself.
Huh, okay, I've always wondered about that. Thanks for the info!
Isn't this WAY off topic here?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:17 am

Any news about this? I'm subscribed to Selecta Vision on YouTube but they've not shown anything. Though, what about Twitter?

Here's hoping for the best.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:37 am

KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:TBH, both Toei and Funi suck. It's just a question of who sucks less in any given situation, and us hoping and praying whichever one is in question at the time doesn't drop the ball again in a particular way.
Debatable honorable mention: not giving Funi any translated scripts back in the day. If that claim is true, it makes me wonder what DBZ would be like in the west (hopefully more faithful?), and how the fandom in the west would be different as a result.
From what I understand they gave them translated scripts just really bad ones. Barry Watson said “the English is sketchy at best”

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:41 am

Robo4900 wrote:(Honestly, if it wasn't for the -- surprisingly minor -- censorship, it'd be Pioneer-level accuracy, pretty much), .
Eh? I don’t really agree with this. Obviously there was a lot of material in early Dragon Ball that just wouldn’t fly on a Saturday Morning cartoon in the US but even ignoring that a lot of dialog was changed for the sake of changing it plus some of the added humor. Most of the dialog and added jokes carried over to the 2001 redub and any fix was mostly done to match the uncut footage.

The BLT’s dubs biggest strength is its voice acting and that it manages to retain most of the fun of the first arc in spite of being sanitized to death.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:43 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:(Honestly, if it wasn't for the -- surprisingly minor -- censorship, it'd be Pioneer-level accuracy, pretty much), .
Eh? I don’t really agree with this. Obviously there was a lot of material in early Dragon Ball that just wouldn’t fly on a Saturday Morning cartoon in the US but even ignoring that a lot of dialog was changed for the sake of changing it plus some of the added humor. Most of the dialog and added jokes carried over to the 2001 redub and any fix was mostly done to match the uncut footage.

The BLT’s dubs biggest strength is its voice acting and that it manages to retain most of the fun of the first arc in spite of being sanitized to death.
Comparisons I've done show the perception that it's super-sanitised to be heavily exaggerated.

It has some censorship, but it's surprisingly minor, and generally was very faithfully-scripted. Meanwhile, Funi's in-house dub constantly dropped added nonsense that was never there, it didn't fix the few mistakes BLT made -- in fact, it made a lot of it worse -- and arguably had more censorship, as it had to work around scenes that they didn't dub previously, and they often sort of tried to sanitise it to an extent...

The point is, not only was the censorship quite light in the BLT dub, but the censorship aside, it was pretty accurate, and combine that with the ace casting, and you have a generally really good dub that went far above and beyond the call of duty as a mid-'90s TV dub done on the cheap that would end up canned half-way through its first season order.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:58 pm

It will probably be the whole series in 1 set just like what discotek media is doing recently.

The spanish dragon ball releases are bad , so don't expect anything.
My English is poor .

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:23 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Comparisons I've done show the perception that it's super-sanitised to be heavily exaggerated.
It was sanitized usually where I expected to be: Nudity, Goku’s discovering how boys and girls are different and his method of doing so, Roshi’s sexual predator nature etc.

I will say there was a surprising amount of stuff that the 1995 dub kept that I was expecting to be censored. Like they removed Yamcha accidentally groping Bulma in her sleep (which I had zero issue with) but surprisingly kept him taking the blanket off so he still saw her naked. (Albeit we don’t see the shot of her which wasn’t graphic to begin with) also they somewhat kept Oolong’s perversion though not to the extent of the uncut dub or the actual Japanese version.
. Meanwhile, Funi's in-house dub constantly dropped added nonsense that was never there,
The BLT/Funi dub did too though. Like Grandpa Gohan’s narration at the beginning (which I liked a lot honestly but it wasn’t in the original and even the redub removed it) added jokes (almost all of which the 01 redub kept)

it didn't fix the few mistakes BLT made
Removing Son Gohan’s narration in the beginning, not having Bulma somehow know that Emperor Pilaf was after the Dragon Balls in the first episode, Oolong in the BLT dun is talking about Yamcha in episode 5 when he’s suppose to be talking about the Ox King which the redub fixed. There were a few errors off the top of my head that the redub corrected. More often than not they did leave their mistakes in and didn’t bother to fix most of the dialog censorship unless they were forced too by the uncut footage

and they often sort of tried to sanitise it to an extent...
Oh they definitely still tried to sanitize the more racy stuff they were forced to kept in when possible. I’m hardly defending the in-house dub. It had no excuse to be this watered down while advertising an uncut product
not only was the censorship quite light
Other than I think they could have done a little better to meet halfway with Roshi yeah I would agree the censorship was fairly light. Or at least they only censored the stuff they were never going to get away with on Saturday Morning television in 1995

Ultimately that’s the key difference between the 95 dub and the 01 dub. The 95 dub never tried to be anything other than a fairly unoffensive Saturday morning cartoon and succeeded. The 01 dub tried to be the raunchier uncut version and wimped out.
and combine that with the ace casting
The casting was definitely the highlight. It was nice to not have my ears bleed listening to Goku, Bulma, and Pilaf talk.

It is a real shame they never got to dub all 153 episodes with this cast. I think the BLT dub would have done well if had ended up on Fox Kids or something.

Or if Funimation hadn’t decided they needed to make more money by skipping all the way to Z

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:It was sanitized usually where I expected to be: Nudity, Goku’s discovering how boys and girls are different and his method of doing so, Roshi’s sexual predator nature etc.

I will say there was a surprising amount of stuff that the 1995 dub kept that I was expecting to be censored. Like they removed Yamcha accidentally groping Bulma in her sleep (which I had zero issue with) but surprisingly kept him taking the blanket off so he still saw her naked. (Albeit we don’t see the shot of her which wasn’t graphic to begin with) also they somewhat kept Oolong’s perversion though not to the extent of the uncut dub or the actual Japanese version.
Exactly.
It is censored, just a lot more lightly than one would expect.
MasenkoHA wrote:The BLT/Funi dub did too though. Like Grandpa Gohan’s narration at the beginning (which I liked a lot honestly but it wasn’t in the original and even the redub removed it) added jokes (almost all of which the 01 redub kept)
As I hinted at, it didn't fix BLT's mistakes; yeah, BLT dropped some additions in. Nothing compared to the crap Funi tended to drop in, really.

I forgot Funi's version removed the Grandpa Gohan narration. I guess that's the one token fix they made.
MasenkoHA wrote:Removing Son Gohan’s narration in the beginning, not having Bulma somehow know that Emperor Pilaf was after the Dragon Balls in the first episode, Oolong in the BLT dun is talking about Yamcha in episode 5 when he’s suppose to be talking about the Ox King which the redub fixed. There were a few errors off the top of my head that the redub corrected. More often than not they did leave their mistakes in and didn’t bother to fix most of the dialog censorship unless they were forced too by the uncut footage
I'm not sure Bulma did know about Pilaf in the BLT dub at first; IIRC it was just a general "There are other people searching for these". Not sure what the Oolong thing you're referring to is; I remember his talk of both Yamcha and Gyumao/Ox-King being the same in both dubs.

I really don't think they changed anything aside from rewording stuff to fit Funi's vision of the show at the time, which usually involved adding jokes, trying to "Punch up" the dialogue, etc.

Danfun64 and I did some pretty in-depth comparisons that he's working on formatting and getting ready for some kind of thread here on Kanzenshuu, so hopefully at some point soon I can show what I mean in more detail.
MasenkoHA wrote:Other than I think they could have done a little better to meet halfway with Roshi yeah I would agree the censorship was fairly light. Or at least they only censored the stuff they were never going to get away with on Saturday Morning television in 1995
Ultimately that’s the key difference between the 95 dub and the 01 dub. The 95 dub never tried to be anything other than a fairly unoffensive Saturday morning cartoon and succeeded. The 01 dub tried to be the raunchier uncut version and wimped out.
I don't think the '01 was even trying to be the raunchier uncut dub; it tried to bill itself as such, but ultimately it was only concerned with actually being something Funi could crap out to give them more episodes to air on Toonami for the kids who couldn't get enough Dragon Ball Z. The detail of it being uncut was just for the convenience of the home video releases.
MasenkoHA wrote:The casting was definitely the highlight. It was nice to not have my ears bleed listening to Goku, Bulma, and Pilaf talk.

It is a real shame they never got to dub all 153 episodes with this cast. I think the BLT dub would have done well if had ended up on Fox Kids or something.

Or if Funimation hadn’t decided they needed to make more money by skipping all the way to Z
Yeah.

I still think the biggest shame was that Westwood didn't make an effort to keep their dubbing in Vancouver. Ken Morrison's choice to move GT and DB to Calgary was a colossally poor decision to make, and much as those dubs did turn out pretty good, they could have been so much better.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:24 pm

Robo4900 wrote: As I hinted at, it didn't fix BLT's mistakes; yeah, BLT dropped some additions in. Nothing compared to the crap Funi tended to drop in, really.
Well you still had Barry Watson as a producer for both. Honestly I think the only thing changed on the writer's end from 1995 to the in-house redub was Terry Klassen and Ian Corlett were no longer directly involved but as the scripts were pretty much recycled as much as possible they still legally had to credit Klassen and Corlett for their work
I forgot Funi's version removed the Grandpa Gohan narration. I guess that's the one token fix they made.
Among a few other things but nothing to really say the in-house redub was superior product. Just technically a little bit more faithful in the most bare minimum sort of way.
I'm not sure Bulma did know about Pilaf in the BLT dub at first; IIRC it was just a general "There are other people searching for these".
"Now I have to find these Dragon Balls before this crazy emperor does"- Said right after Pilaf's scene in episode 1. Sure sounded like she somehow knew about Pilaf. It's a minor error though and Funimation fixing it in their redub is on par with the few errors Funimation fixed in their 2005 redub of the 1996-1998 dub of DBZ. Doesn't make it a good dub all of sudden.

Not sure what the Oolong thing you're referring to is; I remember his talk of both Yamcha and Gyumao/Ox-King being the same in both dubs.
In episode 5 Oolong is telling Goku and Bulma about Yamcha the desert bandit when he's suppose to be talking about Gyuumao. The redub fixed this to have him telling them about The Ox King. It's not even a bad change since Yamcha was the character introduced in the episode anyways. Of all the things for Funimation's in-house studio to "fix" this was one of the most minor changes. I kind of liked this change because it sets up the actual antagonist of the episode. But it still counts as something they fixed
I really don't think they changed anything aside from rewording stuff to fit Funi's vision of the show at the time, which usually involved adding jokes, trying to "Punch up" the dialogue, etc.
Aside from the obvious racier material being toned down/removed all together (totally understandable given the circumstances) there were things like the idiotic "Legend of the boy who will liberate the village terrorized by Oolong" which made absolutely zero sense and was carried over into the redub. Or Roshi initially going to give Goku eternal life from the phoenix being changed to a magic carpet (also carried over into the redub) or Chi Chi asking Goku to make her his bride being changed into asking if he'll think about her (also carried over into the redub except that one bit them in the ass later on where we never saw how BLT would have handled the proposal in the Piccolo Jr saga) a few other things I believe but those are what immediately came to mind
I still think the biggest shame was that Westwood didn't make an effort to keep their dubbing in Vancouver. Ken Morrison's choice to move GT and DB to Calgary was a colossally poor decision to make, and much as those dubs did turn out pretty good, they could have been so much better.
Oh my god I would have loved if dubbing for Dragon Ball was kept in Vancouver instead of being moved to Calgary. Especially since we would have gotten Scott Mcneil as King Piccolo (to be fair the Blue Water guy was really really good vastly superior to Sabat just using his Vegeta voice) I would have been a bit sad if Jillian Michaels had voiced Goku instead of Saffron Henderson though. Nothing against Michaels I just like Henderson as an actress better.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:26 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:It will probably be the whole series in 1 set just like what discotek media is doing recently.

What makes you think it will be in one set? Selecta usually have been putting out the series in sets.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:56 am

sangofe wrote:What makes you think it will be in one set? Selecta usually have been putting out the series in sets.
True. The Spanish releases of Dragon Ball home media are generally really good, usually much better than what FUNimation puts out there.

This will probably be published in 3-4 or 5 volumes.

The only times SV sells it in one go, it's during special offers where the price is unbeatable.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:57 am

sangofe wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:It will probably be the whole series in 1 set just like what discotek media is doing recently.

What makes you think it will be in one set? Selecta usually have been putting out the series in sets.
Because i don't think they're going to actually remaster the series.
My English is poor .

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:05 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
sangofe wrote:What makes you think it will be in one set? Selecta usually have been putting out the series in sets.
True. The Spanish releases of Dragon Ball home media are generally really good, usually much better than what FUNimation puts out there.

The only times SV sells it in one go, it's during special offers where the price is unbeatable.

Around 2 years ago i bought the whole Z series for around 50 buck only , very cheap but the overall quality of the product was bad even compared to Funimation.
My English is poor .

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:35 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
sangofe wrote:

Here's my theory about this: they're waiting for the Toei remaster and will apply some filter on it calling it their remaster.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:44 am

sangofe wrote:Here's my theory about this: they're waiting for the Toei remaster and will apply some filter on it calling it their remaster.
I don't think so; I think Funimation will just do the usual visual localizations like they did with Kai and Dragon Box Z, which is putting in their title cards and credits. There will also be a slight darkening of the image too, but that's due to how NA displays are slightly lighter than Japanese ones.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:37 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
sangofe wrote:

They remastered Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT on DVD which are based on the Dragon Box source, so it's entirely possible SV is doing it.
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

Around 2 years ago i bought the whole Z series for around 50 buck only , very cheap but the overall quality of the product was bad even compared to Funimation.
50 "bucks"? Spain doesn't use dollars and for that low you probably bought pirated DVDs thinking they were genuine.

SV's DVD remaster of the Dragon Ball Z series looks really good to me, and features multiple dubs.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:43 am

KBABZ wrote:
sangofe wrote:Here's my theory about this: they're waiting for the Toei remaster and will apply some filter on it calling it their remaster.
I don't think so; I think Funimation will just do the usual visual localizations like they did with Kai and Dragon Box Z, which is putting in their title cards and credits. There will also be a slight darkening of the image too, but that's due to how NA displays are slightly lighter than Japanese ones.
Why are you throwing Funimation into this discussion?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:26 am

sangofe wrote:Why are you throwing Funimation into this discussion?
Herpaderp, I thought that's who you were talking about... :crazy:

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:57 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
sangofe wrote:
They remastered Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT on DVD which are based on the Dragon Box source, so it's entirely possible SV is doing it.
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote: True. The Spanish releases of Dragon Ball home media are generally really good, usually much better than what FUNimation puts out there.

50 "bucks"? Spain doesn't use dollars and for that low you probably bought pirated DVDs thinking they were genuine.

SV's DVD remaster of the Dragon Ball Z series looks really good to me, and features multiple dubs.
Yes of course , i'm just telling you how much they cost in USD.

You could be right , they might be bootleg.

here is an example of the sets that i own :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DRAGON-BALL-Z- ... 2494620860

They left a bad taste in my mouth and i just ignored all of the Spanish home media for Dragonball.

also i haven't bought them myself as i already have all of funimation singles including the ultimate uncut edition , i got them as a birthday gift , the person who got them for me most likely didn't know whether they were legit or not.
My English is poor .