Bruce Faulconer returning to compose the score for DBS?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Bruce Faulconer returning to compose the score for DBS?

Post by Shaddy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:12 am

That's literally another fan saying "what if" fifteen years after the fact, it's not evidence of a dub existing. Please pay better attention to what we're saying.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:54 am

Valerius Dover wrote:
Young-Jah wrote:
Kakacarrottop wrote: I believe there will always be outlier companies. Just two years ago Saban Brands were using replacement music for their Glitter Force and Digimon dubs, although they went the way of 4kids last year
Didn't Funimation at one point try to dub Sonic X before 4Kids beat them to the punch.
Never heard that one before. Funimation did, however, have their eyes set on One Piece even before 4Kids got it. That might be what you're thinking of.
I’m surprised 4Kids got One Piece before Funimation did. I know 4KIDs ensured Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh became phenomenons in the English speaking world, but those series had commercial collectible gimmicks. Less shamelessly marketing gimmicks but still dumb shonen anime seems to be more of a Funimation thing.

Even ignoring all the censorship 4Kids did One Piece always felt like a Funimation property to license not 4Kids.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
Young-Jah wrote:
Shaddy wrote:He knows what Sonic X is, he's saying there's no record of Funimation ever having anything to do with it.
https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/ ... e-hedgehog
A little summary for those of us outside the US who can't access the site would be helpful, but this is getting off-topic anyway.

Not sure what else there is to say. Faulconer isn't coming back. Dragon Ball hasn't had a region based replacement score since Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Nobody besides 4KMedia or TPCI does those anymore.
Why. Cause the original DBZ score ruined everything.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:39 pm

Young-Jah wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:
A little summary for those of us outside the US who can't access the site would be helpful, but this is getting off-topic anyway.

Not sure what else there is to say. Faulconer isn't coming back. Dragon Ball hasn't had a region based replacement score since Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Nobody besides 4KMedia or TPCI does those anymore.
What exactly does the original score "ruin"? Any answer you give to that question can only be subjective. They're not going to spend extra money on replacing the music, as that would lead to the alienation of the majority of the fanbase.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:40 pm

Young-Jah wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:

How did the original score ruined everything? Funimation should have left it alone in the first place. Literally every other company besides Funimation and Westwood left the music alone.

Even if Funimation hadn’t realized their mistake in using that god awful dub music Faulconer isn’t coming back. He and the guys at Funimation ended on bad terms. This is why Mark Menza scored GT and Nathan Johnson scored the ultimate uncut redub of the first 67 episodes. If Funimation had continued to use replacement music most likely Mark Menza would have done the score for Kai and Super I am sure.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:05 am

Why Menza over Johnson?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:15 am

Danfun64 wrote:Why Menza over Johnson?
Didn’t Johnson stop composing music (not just Dragon Ball but in general) fairly early on? Like before Kai

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:08 pm

Young-Jah wrote:
Broly深蓝 wrote:Bruce Falcouner most likely won’t return to Funimation.

On a slightly unrelated note, I would love to see Kikuchi compose again.
Seriously, WTF.
Reason he won't come back is due to most of his songs were by Scott Morgan and not him.
Hey guys. The real reason Faulconer Productions music has no chance of coming back is a lawsuit that happened. I discovered the whole thing while digging for more info on his bankruptcy (looks like that thread got re-titled)
viewtopic.php?t=16880

I mean, the studio wasn't rehired anyway...you'd have to ask the old Funimation guys why. I have my own theories based on what I heard privately, but I'll keep that private.

I also have part of a video dedicated to the subject on why the Faulconer Productions music will not return.
https://youtu.be/rHPv58xYiv4?t=1085
I think Geekdom used this as a source for some of his info in his video on Faulconer.

Also, I didn't write most of the music. Mike Smith wrote the lion's share. In reality there were four composers: Mike Smith, Julius Dobos, Scott Morgan, and Bruce Faulconer. I don't know exactly how we rank in terms of output, but I'm probably somewhere in the middle.

Just wanted to clear that stuff up :)
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:13 pm

cRookie_Monster wrote:
Young-Jah wrote:
Broly深蓝 wrote:Bruce Falcouner most likely won’t return to Funimation.

On a slightly unrelated note, I would love to see Kikuchi compose again.
Seriously, WTF.
Reason he won't come back is due to most of his songs were by Scott Morgan and not him.
Hey guys. The real reason Faulconer Productions music has no chance of coming back is a lawsuit that happened. I discovered the whole thing while digging for more info on his bankruptcy (looks like that thread got re-titled)
viewtopic.php?t=16880

I mean, the studio wasn't rehired anyway...you'd have to ask the old Funimation guys why. I have my own theories based on what I heard privately, but I'll keep that private.

I also have part of a video dedicated to the subject on why the Faulconer Productions music will not return.
https://youtu.be/rHPv58xYiv4?t=1085
I think Geekdom used this as a source for some of his info in his video on Faulconer.

Also, I didn't write most of the music. Mike Smith wrote the lion's share. In reality there were four composers: Mike Smith, Julius Dobos, Scott Morgan, and Bruce Faulconer. I don't know exactly how we rank in terms of output, but I'm probably somewhere in the middle.

Just wanted to clear that stuff up :)
What, really, is the lawsuit still going today or is it already settled.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:20 pm

Settled, ages ago ( December 21, 2005)
Check out the thread I linked above for more details.

Also, btw something I've learned through the grapevine since that old thread and video was that Toei themselves were VERY angry about the whole thing and mandated that Faulconer Productions Music never be used again. 'Cause Toei had to pay legal fees and stuff...so yikes. Bad, real bad.
- Scott

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:28 pm

cRookie_Monster wrote:Settled, ages ago ( December 21, 2005)

Also, btw something I've learned through the grapevine since that old thread and video was that Toei themselves were VERY angry about the whole thing and mandated that Faulconer Productions Music never be used again. 'Cause Toei had to pay legal fees and stuff...so yikes. Bad, real bad.
Does Funimation have a long history of selling scores in the past.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Young-Jah wrote:

No, DBZ was really what Funimation started with and I think is the only show they ever did a replacement score for. Bruce negotiated like crazy to get rights to sell those CDs, took quite a while I remember. I don't think Funimation is even the party that sells them even though technically the copyright is theirs. After the lawsuit everything got confusing....
- Scott

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:41 pm

cRookie_Monster wrote:
Young-Jah wrote:

No, DBZ was really what Funimation started with and I think is the only show they ever did a replacement score for. Bruce negotiated like crazy to get rights to sell those CDs, took quite a while I remember. I don't think Funimation is even the party that sells them even though technically the copyright is theirs. After the lawsuit everything got confusing....
Why did he signed with them in the first place.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:37 pm

Had no idea that Toei was pissed about it, too. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what's different about the other composers like Johnson and Menza. At least one other anime that Toei had dubbed themselves also had a replacement score, so I don't think it was the concept they were against.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:45 pm

What's missing from your premise (aside from a number of question marks to denote that said statements are, indeed, questions) is the reason. There's always a series of negotiations and legal jargon behind everything, and when a perfectly serviceable soundtrack exists with zero licensing issues for a wealthy company that, as far as I can tell (as someone who isn't really an overall anime consumer), has a majority market-share on the American anime dubbing industry, you are missing the reason as to why they would ask him to return. At the end of the day, FUNimation is a business that wants to make money; doing that wouldn't really increase (it would decrease, if anything) cash-flow. All you'd accomplish is that in the instant the first episode drops, a boycott would arise and Twitter would be awash with people questioning why you, as a company entrusted to bring overseas media stateside, are not doing your job in adapting an existing product. The 90's were a different time altogether and that shit wouldn't fly now, so the most you can hope for is that in future releases FUNimation tries once again (after the Rock the Dragon DVD set) to appeal to the nostalgia market by re-releasing something with the old dub... though with the aforementioned lawsuits I'm not sure they'd even do that.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Holy shit. This is news to me.

If that didn't make TOEI break their deals with FUNimation, then what will.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:21 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

Holy shit. This is news to me.

If that didn't make TOEI break their deals with FUNimation, then what will.
But again, I still don't know why Bruce signed with Funi is the first place, he know how the way they act then most business studio companies.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Young-Jah wrote:But again, I still don't know why Bruce signed with Funi is the first place, he know how the way they act then most business studio companies.
For him he might have looked at it as just another company who wanted a musician to compose music for. Maybe cRookie_Monster can say why since he was part of the Faulconer Productions' score.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:34 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Young-Jah wrote:But again, I still don't know why Bruce signed with Funi is the first place, he know how the way they act then most business studio companies.
For him he might have looked at it as just another company who wanted a musician to compose music for. Maybe cRookie_Monster can say why since he was part of the Faulconer Productions' score.
He though their notorious for not paying musician scorers money.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:14 am

Like I was saying, Funimation had no history. They started with DBZ. The whole reason that company was formed was to work on DBZ(Gen had an uncle who worked for Toei I believe, so they landed the DBZ license). So Mike and Bruce (who are the people who landed the contract) didn't have anything to analyze. Actually Bruce was going to turn it down is my understanding, but Mike convinced him to take it. I think it was a great move actually, maybe not money-wise, but fame\reputation wise it was a good call.
- Scott