Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by DBZimran » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:46 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I still think a print on demand type situation (Pokemon are doing exactly this for a giant Furret doll that was just announced) would be perfect route for them to take if these are the full series. There is currently so many ways to watch DBZ atm even moreso than back in the level set days (not to mention all the new material for people to invest in too, and Japan has showed Z doesn't exactly carry the weight it's brand used to have). Plus this way they can insure fans investment up front instead of even a regular limited release where fans might not invest immediately like the Dboxes in which if I am not mistaken where marked down significantly in price at one stage.

I don't give a shit about Z at all and I won't invest in these at all but I do want it to be a success so we can maybe one day get the vastly superior OG DB series on BD, but the above situation is the only way I can see it being so but even then would fans be willing to part something like $500 all in one go? 291 eps of a good remaster ain't gonna be cheap...
Recently Shieusha released a limited print Art Book for BLEACH. It was a print on demand scenario, costing around $100 dollars. It sold so well that more copies were printed and was generally the best way to deal with a limited release. If it does well just manufacture more. Like you said be prepared for a high price tag.

Also I am expecting this release to include OG Dragon Ball and GT. Toei are seriously out of touch with how successful Dragon Ball as a home release is globally. I'm sure it was only recently they realised how much demand there is for it.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:59 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:"Buy the 4:3 digital streaming version from Funimation's site"

Where is this? I can't find it.
Doesn't exist. Z isn't available in any other format than their shitty "remastered" cropped versions of the episodes thrown on their streaming service. Also, you can't actually buy episodes from their streaming service. You pay for the service & watch the episodes after that.
Well shit, good thing I have my FUNimation singles. Here's hoping this 30th home collection has the US broadcast audio and 4:3.
4:3? Broadcast audio? You mean, you actually thought it was a possibility? Is everyone forgetting the meeting I had with Christopher Sabat at the High School? He didn’t “promise” us anything. Chris told me it wouldn’t be his decision to make, but that he would “try”. At the time, Chris had emailed me to say he was impressed by Big Box audio and VHS/Betamax/Hi8 recordings, however at this point it doesn’t mean dick because the decision makers at FUNimation only care about where the money’s at. And had people (you know who I’m talking to) not supported every single re-release (which was an abomination btw), we wouldn’t be in this giagantic cesspool of retardation.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:04 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:4:3? Broadcast audio? You mean, you actually thought it was a possibility? Is everyone forgetting the meeting I had with Christopher Sabat at the High School? He didn’t “promise” us anything. Chris told me it wouldn’t be his decision to make, but that he would “try”. At the time, Chris had emailed me to say he was impressed by Big Box audio and VHS/Betamax/Hi8 recordings, however at this point it doesn’t mean dick because the decision makers at FUNimation only care about where the money’s at. And had people (you know who I’m talking to) not supported every single re-release (which was an abomination btw), we wouldn’t be in this giagantic cesspool of retardation.
Can you show any proof that Sabat exchanged any pleasantries with yourself. If this release does indeed have broadcast audio I'll be thoroughly surprised, so I can agree with you on that.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:29 pm

DBZimran wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:4:3? Broadcast audio? You mean, you actually thought it was a possibility? Is everyone forgetting the meeting I had with Christopher Sabat at the High School? He didn’t “promise” us anything. Chris told me it wouldn’t be his decision to make, but that he would “try”. At the time, Chris had emailed me to say he was impressed by Big Box audio and VHS/Betamax/Hi8 recordings, however at this point it doesn’t mean dick because the decision makers at FUNimation only care about where the money’s at. And had people (you know who I’m talking to) not supported every single re-release (which was an abomination btw), we wouldn’t be in this giagantic cesspool of retardation.
Can you show any proof that Sabat exchanged any pleasantries with yourself. If this release does indeed have broadcast audio I'll be thoroughly surprised, so I can agree with you on that.
You want proof? Absolutely. Here’s your proof. Three pictures should be enough... just don’t pester the guy.

1/24/15
1/25/15
11/28/16
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:40 pm

jaisonas wrote:Dnr and frame stabilizing are 2 completely different things. So is removing film splicing marks.
I dunno... I think we can make some arguments those two are within the same realm though. Usually we talk about DNR as grain removal. Technically, it is noise reduction... noise relative to a true (often unobservable) signal. Think of it as a sine wave... the grain could be fluctuations in the amplitude (a stronger or lighter green)... stabilization could be thought of as fluctuations in its phase (a slight difference in it's position). The techniques are looking to correct any and all issues. It's just that different techniques are used to target specific problems.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Use spoiler tags on shit that will fill your screen!
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:00 pm

ect5150 wrote:Use spoiler tags on shit that will fill your screen!
Sorry, I don’t frequent anime forums like I used to, so I’m not used to the “newer” way of doing things.
My YouTube

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:25 pm

jaisonas wrote:Dnr and frame stabilizing are 2 completely different things. So is removing film splicing marks.
Just for transparency, I don't defend FUNi's use of it the way they did in the Orange Bricks, or Season Blu-Rays. I'm just saying why they used it, as other companies do as well, but only when needed. Every restoration/remastering of a film or TV series has to go through DVNR to be workable, but it's when they don't give half of a shit to make sure quality is preserved is where it goes wrong.
DBZimran wrote:They do DNR and due to its automation it removes details which otherwise would be there. The film is aged but removing the grain and making it a brand spanking new 2019 product is not feasible. It is a product of its time, hence why the imperfections make it what it is (a series made in the 90s). As mentioned before frame stabilisation is completely different to noise removal.
Actually, that was due to the grain removal process they used being overly applied & absolutely no QC being done before programing & shipping out of the discs. That was for the Orange Bricks. The Blu-Rays used a process I don't think has ever been used elsewhere. It looks like they went through & oversaturated the colors ON TOP of the DVNR & grain removal to remove the grain from the film. It also looked like they went through & water-colored over the images with Microsoft Paint or something, since the colors are so vibrant & bright despite the fact that the episodes now make your eyes bleed with how much they hurt your eyes.
DBZimran wrote:The level set approach would be the most ideal situation, to frame by frame remedy any imperfections. Of course it is a costly procedure. Would it yield profits with a higher price tag, due to their costly investment to do such a task?
Yes, it would.
DBZimran wrote:The success of the cheap 16:9 releases speaks for itself. A lot of fans have a lack of knowledge of how the anime was originally presented. People just want a higher ratio of episodes per dollar spent on the release. So a release that has been properly remastered, and they have taken the time and attention to preserve the media would cost more (Level Sets). Fewer fans will part with cash now that the market for DBZ releases is so overly saturated. As a result this 30th anniversary release needs to be something that will have to please the neglected fan base who want a Dragon Box-esque release, and has to be affordable to even be considered worth releasing. Otherwise it may just be a repeat of the level sets. This argument just makes me believe that this release will be a limited collectors only situation (which they have stated) like the Dragon Boxes, so I'd advise ordering early to avoid a similar situation to the Dragon Boxes.
As you've noted, here's why the level sets failed: Oversaturation, price, & timing.

Oversaturation because in the preceding half a decade alone, we got the Orange Bricks, the Dragon Boxes, & Kai, which in of itself was also a remastered version of Z with most of the filler cut out. Each of these products satisfied different sections of the fanbase in their own ways, with the Orange Bricks satisfying fans of the show wanting a steady home release of the series who didn't care about preservation of quality & LOVED the English dub, the Dragon Boxes satisfying the section who wanted a release catered to fans of the Japanese version first & foremost who hated the dub & the section who wanted preservation of quality who were willing to sacrifice the English dub's replacement score, & Kai satisfying the section who wanted a better English dub, wanted preservation of quality, & wanted a version of the series that was cut down to eliminate the endless amounts of filler & fix the pacing problems it caused to have a more better-paced version of the series. Essentially, FUNi cucked themselves by accident with these. Granted, they didn't see Kai coming until it was announced, but still.
A Blu-Ray release of the series that fixed every single problem the Orange Bricks should've never had should've been delayed a bit longer & welcomed with open arms as a result, since they had done so at a time where people were still enjoying whichever release they'd gotten. Hell, Kai's Season sets were starting to come out in 2012. With these releases coming out in late 2011, literally starting a month after the Dragon Boxes were finished, they didn't give any of these sets, or Kai, a good amount of time for the dust to settle.

Price. They also only had 17 episodes per set which, while better than the rest of the shows they dub & release in its first release, left a lot scratching their heads, since the previous sets had anywhere in the upwards of ~40 per set & for a much less expensive price tag. Granted, every single anime ever deals with this, but it's usually in their initial DVD releases. For example, Bleach had initially 3-4 episodes per set, then eventually going up to 10, then 13 to compete with their competition, for $30 per set, with later releases of repackagings of episodes (up to 20) on less discs for convenience sake & to make an Author's Saving Throw. Now, we're getting Blu-Rays for the same price that have close to 30 each. From a marketing standpoint, that's the way you escalate that kind of thing. Going down in episodes, yet up in price, after previously having more episodes forr less really limited the potential market of the sets. Despite having everything from the previous Orange Brick sets in terms of features (the episodes & the 3 different audio options), they were essentially only marketing to the videophiles of the franchise which, while good to appeal to them, cucked their bottom line unintentionally & they were surprised when their seemingly bottomless well of money of a franchise suddenly went mostly dry.

Timing. A bit redundant, but as mentioned above, the previous 4 years were overstuffed with releases of Z that satisfied at least one section of the fanbase. Plus Kai was still releasing at this time & its own Season sets were on the horizon. Had they waited till when they released the Season Blu-Rays; 2013/14 or so, they could've given it more time for the dust to settle & banked off of the trend of other companies remastering their old shows, plus with the growing 90s nostalgia of younger Millennials we're seeing right now, they could've banked heard off the want for a new remaster of the series. It also would've been more poignant with the fact that Battle of Gods came out in 2013 & they released it in 2014. They could've spaced out the releases for every few months, had more episodes perr set, & even put out a new DVD release to replace the older ones. That would've made the sets more profitable & marketable in the longrun. The fact that they still questioned if people wanted the series in 16:9 on the discs just showed they really went with marketability over quality preservation, so this would've satisfied both niches.
DBZimran wrote:They have mentioned they will have a collectors release, but surely it will cater to the audience who want a proper remastered release...Right? At this point only the devoted fans will be willing to part with cash after paying for the Dragon Boxes and one or more of the other sub par releases. :lol:

I am really hopeful for this release, but at the same time very cautious. Damn it they better get this right. :lol:
I mean, I'm sure FUNi & all involved have heard the countless complaints for both botched releases. Considering they made up for the Orange Bricks with the Dragon Boxes, it's about time they made up for the Season Blu-Rays with something similar. Just as long as they market it right, have the right price, & a good amount of episodes. Also if they put the terrible DVDs & Blu-Rays out of print. That'll help.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:50 pm

In regards to when this anouncement may be made, today is the 33rd Anniversary of the original Dragon Ball anime. It is to be noted that MangaUK have posted a celebratory message on social media. However, Toei Animation nor Funimation have made any post on social media as of yet. Maybe they are waiting to post it alongside the anouncement of the 30th Anniversary Home Video Release of DBZ.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:22 pm

DBZimran wrote:In regards to when this announcement may be made, today is the 33rd Anniversary of the original Dragon Ball anime. It is to be noted that MangaUK have posted a celebratory message on social media. However, Toei Animation nor Funimation have made any post on social media as of yet. Maybe they are waiting to post it alongside the announcement of the 30th Anniversary Home Video Release of DBZ.
Here you go, my dude. https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/statu ... 7641788427

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:24 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Sorry, I don’t frequent anime forums like I used to, so I’m not used to the “newer” way of doing things.
Much better --- thanks! (I'm on a desktop and huge pics like that just fill my screen altogether)
ect5150

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:28 pm

Scsigs wrote:
DBZimran wrote:In regards to when this announcement may be made, today is the 33rd Anniversary of the original Dragon Ball anime. It is to be noted that MangaUK have posted a celebratory message on social media. However, Toei Animation nor Funimation have made any post on social media as of yet. Maybe they are waiting to post it alongside the announcement of the 30th Anniversary Home Video Release of DBZ.
Here you go, my dude. https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/statu ... 7641788427
Funimation... Please... I know that if it isn't today then it has to be within the next 2 days. Just honestly teasing us so hard at this point.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:23 pm

Wouldn't be terribly shocked at this point if they were lying about the announcement being in February.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:41 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:Wouldn't be terribly shocked at this point if they were lying about the announcement being in February.
A lot of the time in situations like this, the messenger usually isn't a high level employee of the company the message is coming from. It's likely that Toei intends to make the announcement on the 30th anniversary date, but that's not until April 26th. It's very possible that whoever made the announcement that the news was coming in February got the 1st episode airdate of DB and DBZ mixed up, and then went to make that post.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:58 pm

Is it just me, or does the image Toei posted on Twitter look like DB remaster? Especially the blue skys and skin tones.
ect5150

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:13 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Is it just me, or does the image Toei posted on Twitter look like DB remaster? Especially the blue skys and skin tones.
Those screenshots do look really good.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:25 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:
Eh... may have jumped the gun... tried finding a screen for comparison and I can't get a match. Here is that Yamcha shot from the FUNI discs.

The trees don't line up with his hands and I can't find anywhere in that small sequence where they do. It's probably a production cell on a slightly different background I guess.
ect5150

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:26 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:You want proof? Absolutely. Here’s your proof. Three pictures should be enough... just don’t pester the guy.
Well, it is worth noting that when the audio eventually made it into Sabat's hands thanks to Derek Padula, he said he'd do everything in his power to get it on a release. Naturally, that's no guarantee, but it shows he didn't think it was hopeless, and now that even recordings of the original series are being gathered, there's ample opportunity for something great to be made of such a release.

And remember, much as Funi's repeatedly screwed up the video, they've done a pretty great effort on the Japanese audio; the Season BDs had some rather well-done filtering that mitigated the crappiness of the sound to a rather impressive degree. Still sounds a bit crap, but it's a notable improvement, and if they apply that to the broadcast audio they have on hand... Well, we could get something rather brilliant.

I'm just saying... It's all well and good to say it's hopeless and the guys up top are evil monsters only concerned with money, but if something like the Levels can happen -- albeit briefly, due to the poor timing of the release -- and if Sabat was so optimistic, I don't think being a naysayer does anything except depress everybody and encourage the prevalant attitude of "it's pointless so don't bother trying to improve a bad situation, instead let's all wallow in our misery and complain about it."
Ultimately, with all the audio now either in Sabat's hands or on its way there, we've done our best, and if there ends up being the crappy optical audio on there anyway, then we all did the best we could -- Sabat included -- and we lost nothing by trying. Remember: It's easy to say "it'll never happen", but it's always worth trying for a better situation. Not like things could get worse; Toei's not exactly going to throw out their optical audio masters and leave us with no audio at all. :lol:
And of course, if it does end up that Sabat succeeded, and we get a new HD release with broadcast audio, then we'll have achieved the dream, and we can all just sit and enjoy it. :)
SupremeSSJ wrote:
ect5150 wrote:
They're not screenshots.
Toei has a ton of publicity stills shot on 35mm film using the original cels. These tend to be used on Toei's Twitter feed quite a lot. Geekdom at one point made the same mistake, and was corrected by the Twitter user TeeHallums; happens to the best of us.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:49 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Well, it is worth noting that when the audio eventually made it into Sabat's hands thanks to Derek Padula, he said he'd do everything in his power to get it on a release. Naturally, that's no guarantee, but it shows he didn't think it was hopeless, and now that even recordings of the original series are being gathered, there's ample opportunity for something great to be made of such a release.

And remember, much as Funi's repeatedly screwed up the video, they've done a pretty great effort on the Japanese audio; the Season BDs had some rather well-done filtering that mitigated the crappiness of the sound to a rather impressive degree. Still sounds a bit crap, but it's a notable improvement, and if they apply that to the broadcast audio they have on hand... Well, we could get something rather brilliant.

I'm just saying... It's all well and good to say it's hopeless and the guys up top are evil monsters only concerned with money, but if something like the Levels can happen -- albeit briefly, due to the poor timing of the release -- and if Sabat was so optimistic, I don't think being a naysayer does anything except depress everybody and encourage the prevalent attitude of, "it's pointless so don't bother trying to improve a bad situation, instead let's all wallow in our misery and complain about it."
Ultimately, with all the audio now either in Sabat's hands or on its way there, we've done our best, and if there ends up being the crappy optical audio on there anyway, then we all did the best we could -- Sabat included -- and we lost nothing by trying. Remember: It's easy to say "it'll never happen", but it's always worth trying for a better situation. Not like things could get worse; Toei's not exactly going to throw out their optical audio masters and leave us with no audio at all. :lol:
And of course, if it does end up that Sabat succeeded, and we get a new HD release with broadcast audio, then we'll have achieved the dream, and we can all just sit and enjoy it. :)
SupremeSSJ wrote:
ect5150 wrote: Is it just me, or does the image Toei posted on Twitter look like DB remaster? Especially the blue skies and skin tones.
They're not screenshots.
Toei has a ton of publicity stills shot on 35mm film using the original cels. These tend to be used on Toei's Twitter feed quite a lot. Geekdom at one point made the same mistake, and was corrected by the Twitter user TeeHallums; happens to the best of us.
With Sabat hopefully getting the higher quality broadcast audio on any possible future sets, remember, they weren't originally gonna have the original '88 dub of Akira until a guy who had the audio masters for it came up to him at a con after they announced they licensed the movie & he managed to get that dub on to the discs for people who preferred it, or for those who were curious (I prefer the '01 dub after viewing both due to the better voices, acting, & script, but to each their own), so it's entirely possible he's gonna have the sets use the broadcast audio, which would be really great. Your points hit the nail on the head too.

And, yeah, that's what I was thinking for those images. Clearly, Toei still has the animation cells for key moments of the shows & movies to use for publicity reasons & we'll have to wait for a trailer or clips to surface to see how their remastering job would be. Considering I've heard the movies & TV specials look fantastic with the remasters, though, minus a tiny bit of censoring for a few of the movies for the disc releases, the shows would, hopefully, receive a similarly good remastering. Hopefully these won't end up like Dekaranger, where even though they shot it on film, the Blu-Rays actually have upscales of each episode rather than an actual remastering.
Last edited by Scsigs on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:50 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:You want proof? Absolutely. Here’s your proof. Three pictures should be enough... just don’t pester the guy.
Well, it is worth noting that when the audio eventually made it into Sabat's hands thanks to Derek Padula, he said he'd do everything in his power to get it on a release. Naturally, that's no guarantee, but it shows he didn't think it was hopeless, and now that even recordings of the original series are being gathered, there's ample opportunity for something great to be made of such a release.

I'm just saying... It's all well and good to say it's hopeless and the guys up top are evil monsters only concerned with money, but if something like the Levels can happen -- albeit briefly, due to the poor timing of the release -- and if Sabat was so optimistic, I don't think being a naysayer does anything except depress everybody and encourage the prevalant attitude of "it's pointless so don't bother trying to improve a bad situation, instead let's all wallow in our misery and complain about it."
SupremeSSJ wrote:
ect5150 wrote:
They're not screenshots.
Thanks for the info!!