Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:57 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Is it just me, or does the image Toei posted on Twitter look like DB remaster? Especially the blue skys and skin tones.
I'm not entirely sure about them being remasters, they sorta look more like cels than screenshots to me, there's little to no grain visible (or at least from what I can see), that and the fact that each shot is somewhat small makes it hard to tell whether they're actually cels or screenshots. That being said, I'm really hopeful that they actually are screenshots and not just cels, one thing of interest to me from that post is the shot of Yajirobe, when I first saw that, I literally had to do a double take and my jaw nearly hit the floor as to the best of my knowledge, this is the first time since at least 2004 where we've seen ANY traces of the 2nd OG DB opening animation without Japanese text on it (the only reason we got any of the 2nd DB opening animation in 2004 in the first place is because they were part of those DB education/PSA videos "Goku's Fire Brigade" and "Goku's Traffic Safety", otherwise we probably wouldn't have got to see anything from that animation without text until now), hopefully we'll have more info about what Toei and Funimation are up to in the near future.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:26 pm

I think I should point out here that there was no exact date given by Toei or FUNi that the announcement was going to be the 26th, which is why there hasn't been anything today. As quoted by Kanzenshuu here, “In February, along with Funimation, we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement,” says [senior manager of licensing and marketing at Toei Animation, Lisa] Yamatoya. “This summer, we will partner with Overlook to host a ‘Dragon Ball Z’ symphony concert in the U.S. and Canada. The audience can listen to the symphony while clips from the show play, allowing fans to see the story on-screen with live music.”
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2019/02/14/li ... ary-plans/

I think people are conflating the 26th with something Comicbook.com said in their article about it, in that April 26th is the 30th anniversary of when Z premiered. So, it'll probably be in the next few days when we'll see the announcement.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:30 pm

Could also be that the schedule's slipped too. Happens in games all the time!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:59 pm

KBABZ wrote:Could also be that the schedule's slipped too. Happens in games all the time!
True. We'll see.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:44 am

ect5150 wrote:
Is it just me, or does the image Toei posted on Twitter look like DB remaster? Especially the blue skys and skin tones.
Those are definitely animation cels. There is no grain whatsoever, and yet they're also incredibly detailed, so they couldn't be DNR'd.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:50 pm

Still no announcement. I wonder why Toei gave a time frame for it, unless it comes tomorrow.
Fingers crossed, not sure why they are keeping us waiting.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:49 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Still no announcement. I wonder why Toei gave a time frame for it, unless it comes tomorrow.
If its not tomorrow, it sure will be odd and there'll be a lot of speculation as to why

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:51 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:Still no announcement. I wonder why Toei gave a time frame for it, unless it comes tomorrow.
If its not tomorrow, it sure will be odd and there'll be a lot of speculation as to why
Schedule slipped, they announced the announcement too early. Easy as that!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:30 pm

KBABZ wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
I'm kinda worried they won't say anything :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:35 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote: If its not tomorrow, it sure will be odd and there'll be a lot of speculation as to why
I'm kinda worried they won't say anything :lol:
I suspect they won't even acknowledge they said February in the first place and just act as normal to save face.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:30 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Toei needs more time to paint over the middle fingers and FUNi still needs to put it through their trusty auto-DVNRing and cropping machine.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:02 am

Maybe Toei mistakenly thought it was a leap year, so thought they'd have an extra day to announce it. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:34 am

Guys I think ya'll shouldn't have taken the we'll announce in Feb line seriously. Think back to BTAS on BD how long we went without any info on that but at least we had confirmation it was coming. I don't think this is anything to be mad at Toei or FUNi at these things happen, I mean we've been waiting 2 months for Bandai to just price and open reservations for X Plus' Gigantic Series Gogeta! So a delay in the announcement for a collectable home release is understandable & I think they have to get the announcement spot on.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:11 pm

Sigh... I'd really hoped we'd see an announcement by now. If not in February, I wonder when we can expect to hear anything?
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:23 pm

sumpter360 wrote:Sigh... I'd really hoped we'd see an announcement by now. If not in February, I wonder when we can expect to hear anything?
Toei: "A-ah! We meant February 2020! O-of course...!"

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:36 pm

KBABZ wrote:
sumpter360 wrote:Sigh... I'd really hoped we'd see an announcement by now. If not in February, I wonder when we can expect to hear anything?
Gee that would be a hoot, though of course i can't see them doing that because this is obviously supposed to be for the 30th anniversary of Z's debut like how Kai came out back in 2009 specifically billed as a recut in part to commemorate the big 2-0 of the series.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:53 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Gee that would be a hoot, though of course i can't see them doing that because this is obviously supposed to be for the 30th anniversary of Z's debut like how Kai came out back in 2009 specifically billed as a recut in part to commemorate the big 2-0 of the series.
Yeah, I suspect it'll be sometime in March, but since we don't know what's caused the hypothetical slip, it could be an extra month or two after that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:57 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Toei: "A-ah! We meant February 2020! O-of course...!"
Yeah, I suspect it'll be sometime in March, but since we don't know what's caused the hypothetical slip, it could be an extra month or two after that.
Perhaps, or maybe in April even around the 30th anniversary itself since that's when DBZ premiered on TV back in 1989. Though i guess we will see in the coming weeks when the announcement eventually comes.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:58 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Perhaps, or maybe in April even around the 30th anniversary itself since that's when DBZ premiered on TV back in 1989. Though i guess we will see in the coming weeks when the announcement eventually comes.
I agree. I think it may even be possible that Lisa Yamatoya simply got the anniversary dates wrong. Dragon Ball started in February, Z started in April. It's an easy mistake to make.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:18 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Perhaps, or maybe in April even around the 30th anniversary itself since that's when DBZ premiered on TV back in 1989. Though i guess we will see in the coming weeks when the announcement eventually comes.
I agree. I think it may even be possible that Lisa Yamatoya simply got the anniversary dates wrong. Dragon Ball started in February, Z started in April. It's an easy mistake to make.
it doesn't make sense, for me it would have been logical to release the first box for the z anniversary so meaning that for an april release, an announcement before , if they just make the announcement and that you need to wait months to buy them it can't be 30th anniversary edition, it's like someone birth in may having gift in december.
just idiot

using db first airing would have been a great things, now they are just playing with fans as usual