History of Sonic and Dragon Ball Z

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

History of Sonic and Dragon Ball Z

Post by Young-Jah » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:11 pm

The History between Sonic The Hedgehog and Dragon Ball Z can be trance back to the 90s, under the introduction of the SSJ Transformation.

Following the introduction of Super Saiyan in the Freeza Saga in 1991, the Dragon Ball Community was exploding in popularity, after the success of Sonic 1 in June of 1991, the blue blur's was gaining success, jumping Sega to the max against Nintendo Mario.

When Former Sonic Creator Yuji Naka and Sega Technical Institute started development of Sonic 2 in 1992, Naka added three things, the introduction of Tails The Fox aka Miles Tails Prowler, the addition of Seven Chaos Emeralds, and the debut of Super Sonic.

As many fans know, Yuji Naka was a huge fan of DB, and he created Super Sonic as a homage to Super Saiyan 1.

He also created Special Stage Blue Sphere as inspiration from King Kai's Planet.

Since then, this relationship between the two series has been going on to this very day, with Sonic fans also comparing many of Sonic and Co. to many DB characters, like Shadow to Vegeta, Silver to Future Trunks (which is true according to the Sonic Retro site forum), Amy Rose to Chi Chi, Knuckles to Piccolo, Tails to Gohan, the Chaos Emeralds to the Earth Dragon Balls, Super Emeralds to Super Dragon Balls, Chaos and Metal Sonic to Cell, Rouge The Bat to Bulma, and etc.

Dragon Ball fans even compared stuff to Sonic and Friends, Goku Black to Mephiles, Merged Zamasu to Solaris, SSG Red to Burning Blaze and Darkspine Sonic, and the biggest question ever, Ultra Instinct and MUI to Ultra Sonic and Hyper Sonic (even though Hyper Sonic has flash colors and MUI has silver white hair, come on Takashi Iizuka, bring back Hyper Sonic and remove the flashy seizures).

Now I know Geekdom101 had done a video about it in 2017 https://youtu.be/uwM_rq45v_Q, and JUST A ROBOT too, but I want to do my discussion about it.

Plus, Hyper Shadic from Chakra-X most popular fan animation series Nazo Unleashed was inspired by Vegito and Gogeta.

Do you guys agree with me or no.
Last edited by Young-Jah on Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: History of Sonic and Dragon Ball Z

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:12 pm

Hard disagree. Other than Super Sonic being an obvious riff on/nod to Super Saiya-jin in DBZ and Silver being based partly on Future Trunks, these two franchises have almost zero "history" with one another, apart from Western/U.S. fans of the two constantly projecting one onto them. Super Sonic/SSJ and Silver aside, most of the "similarities" are either sheer coincidence, or fans wildly grasping at straws.

Hell, most of the "crossover" between Western/U.S. fans of DB and Sonic didn't really even start until the early 2000s, when the Sonic Adventure games were ported to the Nintendo Gamecube and almost singlehandedly made Sonic into a bizarre "icon" to kids of the time who were mainlining FUNimation's DBZ on Toonami. Prior to that point, during the 90s there was almost NO overlap whatsoever between Dragon Ball and Sonic's fanbases. Like, whatsoever. And as far as I'm aware at least, no strong overlap between their fanbases has ever really existed over on Japan's end of things.

Again outside of Super Sonic and Silver, Dragon Ball and Sonic's "relationship" can be almost entirely 100% boiled down to Cartoon Network kids of the early 2000s falling in love with Sonic Adventure on Gamecube and DBZ on Toonami more or less around the same time period, and extrapolating their own ridiculous fanfiction from there; often rooted in VERY flimsy, threadbare pretenses.

For those who might be familiar with the internet figure Chris-Chan: the DBZ/Sonic "crossover appeal" can more or less be boiled down to a Sonichu-like phenomenon writ large on a mass scale. "I like this thing over here! I also like this other thing over here! Hey, what if the two were actually somehow DEEPLY connected!? What if I smooshed them together?! Cooooool!!!"

Other than Sonic having a couple of random DB shout outs, they're not really connected in any meaningful way: early 2000s CN kids were apparently just MASSIVELY over-caffeinated and never really outgrew it.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:35 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Hard disagree. Other than Super Sonic being an obvious riff on/nod to Super Saiya-jin in DBZ and Silver being based partly on Future Trunks, these two franchises have almost zero "history" with one another, apart from Western/U.S. fans of the two constantly projecting one onto them. Super Sonic/SSJ and Silver aside, most of the "similarities" are either sheer coincidence, or fans wildly grasping at straws.

Hell, most of the "crossover" between Western/U.S. fans of DB and Sonic didn't really even start until the early 2000s, when the Sonic Adventure games were ported to the Nintendo Gamecube and almost singlehandedly made Sonic into a bizarre "icon" to kids of the time who were mainlining FUNimation's DBZ on Toonami. Prior to that point, during the 90s there was almost NO overlap whatsoever between Dragon Ball and Sonic's fanbases. Like, whatsoever. And as far as I'm aware at least, no strong overlap between their fanbases has ever really existed over on Japan's end of things.

Again outside of Super Sonic and Silver, Dragon Ball and Sonic's "relationship" can be almost entirely 100% boiled down to Cartoon Network kids of the early 2000s falling in love with Sonic Adventure on Gamecube and DBZ on Toonami more or less around the same time period, and extrapolating their own ridiculous fanfiction from there; often rooted in VERY flimsy, threadbare pretenses.

For those who might be familiar with the internet figure Chris-Chan: the DBZ/Sonic "crossover appeal" can more or less be boiled down to a Sonichu-like phenomenon writ large on a mass scale. "I like this thing over here! I also like this other thing over here! Hey, what if the two were actually somehow DEEPLY connected!? What if I smooshed them together?! Cooooool!!!"

Other than Sonic having a couple of random DB shout outs, they're not really connected in any meaningful way: early 2000s CN kids were apparently just MASSIVELY over-caffeinated and never really outgrew it.
What about Mario, even though he's not a important part of this, he's one of the only character to never be rip off or inspired by any Shonen Jump Heroes.
Plus, this thing has been going on way better than the Sonic/Mario discussion.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:37 am

Young-Jah wrote:The History between Sonic The Hedgehog and Dragon Ball Z can be trance back to the 90s, under the introduction of the SSJ Transformation.

Following the introduction of Super Saiyan in the Freeza Saga in 1991, the Dragon Ball Community was exploding in popularity, after the success of Sonic 1 in June of 1991, the blue blur's was gaining success, jumping Sega to the max against Nintendo Mario.

When Former Sonic Creator Yuji Naka and Sega Technical Institute started development of Sonic 2 in 1992, Naka added three things, the introduction of Tails The Fox aka Miles Tails Prowler, the addition of Seven Chaos Emeralds, and the debut of Super Sonic.

As many fans know, Yuji Naka was a huge fan of DB, and he created Super Sonic as a homage to Super Saiyan 1.

He also created Special Stage Blue Sphere as inspiration from King Kai's Planet.

Since then, this relationship between the two series has been going on to this very day, with Sonic fans also comparing many of Sonic and Co. to many DB characters, like Shadow to Vegeta, Silver to Future Trunks (which is true according to the Sonic Retro site forum), Amy Rose to Chi Chi, Knuckles to Piccolo, Tails to Gohan, the Chaos Emeralds to the Earth Dragon Balls, Super Emeralds to Super Dragon Balls, Chaos and Metal Sonic to Cell, Rouge The Bat to Bulma, and etc.

Dragon Ball fans even compared stuff to Sonic and Friends, Goku Black to Mephiles, Merged Zamasu to Solaris, SSG Red to Burning Blaze and Darkspine Sonic, and the biggest question ever, Ultra Instinct and MUI to Ultra Sonic and Hyper Sonic (even though Hyper Sonic has flash colors and MUI has silver white hair, come on Takashi Iizuka, bring back Hyper Sonic and remove the flashy seizures).

Now I know Geekdom101 had done a video about it in 2017 https://youtu.be/uwM_rq45v_Q, and JUST A ROBOT too, but I want to do my discussion about it.

Plus, Hyper Shadic from Chakra-X most popular fan animation series Nazo Unleashed was inspired by Vegito and Gogeta.

Do you guys agree with me or no.
(Long time Sonic fan here) Ugh this crap again. Shadow and Vegeta have one thing in common and thats folding their arms and go hmph. Silver and Trunks yeah there is a similarities but that can be said for like the Terminator movies. Amy and Chi Chi have one thing in common and that they love the protagonist. Yes, they're both hot heads but Chi Chi lashes that out on Goku and Amy does it to others. Knuckles and Piccolo are different in several reason. The obvious one is KNUCKLES IS AN IDIOT. Sure they're former rivals but Piccolo isn't Goku's first rival. Tails and Gohan are nothing alike PERIOD. The Chaos Emeralds and Dragon Balls are completely different. The emerald give out power and DB's just make wishes. One Emerald is powerful and One Dragon Ball is useless. The Super Emeralds came before the Super Dragon Balls. Metal Sonic was made to be better than Sonic at everything, while Cell was made to become perfect. Rouge and Bulma? HA
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:11 am

The Patrolman wrote:Shadow and Vegeta have one thing in common and thats folding their arms and go hmph.
Which is about as common a Japanese anime cliche as they get, both well long before and far apart from just Dragon Ball.
The Patrolman wrote:Silver and Trunks yeah there is a similarities but that can be said for like the Terminator movies.
Thing is, at least there's been official creator confirmation from Sonic Team that Silver was partly based on Trunks. The grand total of Sonic elements that have been directly confirmed by Sega developers to have been directly inspired by/derived from Dragon Ball are: Super Sonic, Silver, and the Blue Sphere mini-game being based on Kaio's planet. That's pretty much about it.

Apart from those, just about ALL the rest are things that over-zealous Western fans from the early 2000s have largely made up in their own minds to grasp desperately at straws. The Shadow/Vegeta and Knuckles/Piccolo shit being particularly stupid and based in nothing whatsoever.
The Patrolman wrote:The Chaos Emeralds and Dragon Balls are completely different. The emerald give out power and DB's just make wishes. One Emerald is powerful and One Dragon Ball is useless.
Even the Chaos Emeralds=Dragon Balls thing is something that fans have largely pulled from their collective asses: apart from the Emeralds and the Dragon Balls having nothing remotely in common with one another in general, there were originally only six Chaos Emeralds in Sonic 1: bumping them up to 7 from Sonic 2 and onward is overwhelmingly likely to have been done purely for gameplay reasons, and has nothing to do whatsoever with Dragon Ball.
The Patrolman wrote:The Super Emeralds came before the Super Dragon Balls.
I hadn't even heard this one yet. This was a thing?

Weren't the Super Emeralds first introduced in Sonic 3 & Knuckles? That was like... 1994 wasn't it? And Dragon Ball Super was like... 4 or 5 years ago now?

Um... are Sonic fans aware of the basic fundamentals of how time and chronology work? Unless they're trying to say that Dragon Ball somehow took from Sonic in that one particular area: which is a BEYOND tenuous grasp at best, since once again, the Chaos Emeralds and Dragon Balls literally have exactly ZERO in common whatsoever.
Young-Jah wrote:What about Mario, even though he's not a important part of this, he's one of the only character to never be rip off or inspired by any Shonen Jump Heroes.
I'm just going to let this one sit here folks. If I'm reading this person right, Nintendo's Mario is apparently one of the ONLY characters in ALL of fiction or media throughout history to have never ripped off or been inspired by Shonen Jump heroes.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:15 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:Shadow and Vegeta have one thing in common and thats folding their arms and go hmph.
Which is about as common a Japanese anime cliche as they get, both well long before and far apart from just Dragon Ball.
The Patrolman wrote:Silver and Trunks yeah there is a similarities but that can be said for like the Terminator movies.
Thing is, at least there's been official creator confirmation from Sonic Team that Silver was partly based on Trunks. The grand total of Sonic elements that have been directly confirmed by Sega developers to have been directly inspired by/derived from Dragon Ball are: Super Sonic, Silver, and the Blue Sphere mini-game being based on Kaio's planet. That's pretty much about it.

Apart from those, just about ALL the rest are things that over-zealous Western fans from the early 2000s have largely made up in their own minds to grasp desperately at straws. The Shadow/Vegeta and Knuckles/Piccolo shit being particularly stupid and based in nothing whatsoever.
The Patrolman wrote:The Chaos Emeralds and Dragon Balls are completely different. The emerald give out power and DB's just make wishes. One Emerald is powerful and One Dragon Ball is useless.
Even the Chaos Emeralds=Dragon Balls thing is something that fans have largely pulled from their collective asses: apart from the Emeralds and the Dragon Balls having nothing remotely in common with one another in general, there were originally only six Chaos Emeralds in Sonic 1: bumping them up to 7 from Sonic 2 and onward is overwhelmingly likely to have been done purely for gameplay reasons, and has nothing to do whatsoever with Dragon Ball.
The Patrolman wrote:The Super Emeralds came before the Super Dragon Balls.
I hadn't even heard this one yet. This was a thing?

Weren't the Super Emeralds first introduced in Sonic 3 & Knuckles? That was like... 1994 wasn't it? And Dragon Ball Super was like... 4 or 5 years ago now?

Um... are Sonic fans aware of the basic fundamentals of how time and chronology work? Unless they're trying to say that Dragon Ball somehow took from Sonic in that one particular area: which is a BEYOND tenuous grasp at best, since once again, the Chaos Emeralds and Dragon Balls literally have exactly ZERO in common whatsoever.
Young-Jah wrote:What about Mario, even though he's not a important part of this, he's one of the only character to never be rip off or inspired by any Shonen Jump Heroes.
I'm just going to let this one sit here folks. If I'm reading this person right, Nintendo's Mario is apparently one of the ONLY characters in ALL of fiction or media throughout history to have never ripped off or been inspired by Shonen Jump heroes.

He is, Mario is the only guy never be competing against any of those shonen guys who are mocking the same aspect of him.
Unless your not One Piece or Naruto

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:28 pm

I gain a tremendous amount of second-hand embarrassment from reading these threads.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:33 pm

Shaddy wrote:I gain a tremendous amount of second-hand embarrassment from reading these threads.
What is wrong with my thread.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:42 pm

Shaddy wrote:I gain a tremendous amount of second-hand embarrassment from reading these threads.
Honestly, I feel the same way lol

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:49 pm

NewKakarot wrote:
Honestly, I feel the same way lol
Seriously, what's wrong with it.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:23 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Seriously, what's wrong with it.
They don't have any real history together. Sure, Sonic games have occasionally been inspired by Dragon Ball, but it ends there. Everything else you mentioned is their based on coincidence or tropes. And some parallels you mentioned make little to no sense. Rouge the Bat to Bulma? What?

There's just no relationship

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:52 pm

NewKakarot wrote:
They don't have any real history together. Sure, Sonic games have occasionally been inspired by Dragon Ball, but it ends there. Everything else you mentioned is their based on coincidence or tropes. And some parallels you mentioned make little to no sense. Rouge the Bat to Bulma? What?

They do.

https://youtu.be/rcxjpnvMC2Y

Watch this video.
Rouge is smart, Bulma is smart.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:05 pm

Young-Jah wrote:.
Well shit. Let me explain how similar Dragon Ball Z is to Sailor Moon.

They’re both Japanese anime

Usagi and Son Goku both like to eat

Yamucha and Tuxedo Mask have the same voice actor in Japanese

Both shows were syndicated in the US then moved to Toonami

Bulma is smart and has blue hair. Sailor Mercury is smart and has blue hair.

Both series have a white cat that can talk

Both Sailor Moon and Son Goku have a child

Both Sailor Moon and Son Goku die like twice

Damn. Practically the same series amirite?

Am I doing this correctly?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:20 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Young-Jah wrote:.
Well shit. Let me explain how similar Dragon Ball Z is to Sailor Moon.

They’re both Japanese anime

Usagi and Son Goku both like to eat

Yamucha and Tuxedo Mask have the same voice actor in Japanese

Both shows were syndicated in the US then moved to Toonami

Bulma is smart and has blue hair. Sailor Mercury is smart and has blue hair.

Both series have a white cat that can talk

Both Sailor Moon and Son Goku have a child

Both Sailor Moon and Son Goku die like twice

Damn. Practically the same series amirite?

Am I doing this correctly?
*Ahem* If I may?

Dr. Robotnik and Dr. Gero are clearly the same character! They're both mad doctors and they both build robots! Nothing else in ALL of fiction has EVER done that before!

Dragon Ball and Sonic are both EXACTLY the same! Dragon Ball's cool and Sonic's cool! Goku's fast and Sonic's fast! Knuckles punches stuff and so does Piccolo! See? Same thing! I liked them both when I was 7!

Hey, did I tell you yet about my TOTALLY original character Sonichu yet? He's Sonic, combined with Pikachu! Sonic and Pokemon are both cool! They're the same thing too! I liked them both when I was 7 also!

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:25 pm

And here I thought the Fred Patten tribute was the best post you were ever going to make. LOL.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:05 am

Young-Jah wrote:https://youtu.be/rcxjpnvMC2Y

Watch this video.
Lol, the video lists their similarities as "Treasure Hunter", gadgets & weapons, and that they're both with the main rival.

So, for starters, Bulma isn't a treasure hunter. She's not collecting the Dragon Balls in the start of the series because of their value or anything, she's doing it because she wants her wish granted. Gadgets & Weapons? That's not limited to these characters. And as for their relationship with the rival, just no. Pretty sure Rouge and Shadow are supposed to be seen as just friends (it's mainly the fanbase that makes it weird), and the Vegeta-Bulma relationship is very different from theirs.

And now, I'll admit, I didn't watch the whole video, but based on the title, these are just similarities. It doesn't mean they have a real connection. By that logic, I could talk about how Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon have a history together, but I won't because that would be silly and someone already made that joke lol

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:07 am

NewKakarot wrote:
Young-Jah wrote:https://youtu.be/rcxjpnvMC2Y

Watch this video.
Lol, the video lists their similarities as "Treasure Hunter", gadgets & weapons, and that they're both with the main rival.

So, for starters, Bulma isn't a treasure hunter. She's not collecting the Dragon Balls in the start of the series because of their value or anything, she's doing it because she wants her wish granted. Gadgets & Weapons? That's not limited to these characters. And as for their relationship with the rival, just no. l

Sounds like the video creator confused manga/anime Bulma with Dragon Ball Evolution Bulma.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:12 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Sounds like the video creator confused manga/anime Bulma with Dragon Ball Evolution Bulma.
Eh, maybe but I don't remember much about her character in Evolution (for the best, I hope)

Anyway, I kept watching the video for a few more minutes. Apparently Tenshinhan is a ninja, just like Espio. Huh, that's funny, I could've sworn that he was training to become a mercenary (which he ultimately didn't).

Oh, and Cream the Rabbit and Gohan are 100% alike. Practically the same character. Yep.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:15 am

Young-Jah wrote:
NewKakarot wrote:

They do.

Watch this video.
Soo...they're connected in a way that you can superficially connect just about any random show to each other? :eh:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:17 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Young-Jah wrote:
NewKakarot wrote: They don't have any real history together. Sure, Sonic games have occasionally been inspired by Dragon Ball, but it ends there. Everything else you mentioned is their based on coincidence or tropes. And some parallels you mentioned make little to no sense. Rouge the Bat to Bulma? What?

They do.

Watch this video.
Soo...they're connected in a way that you can superficially connect just about any random show to each other? :eh:

In this essay I will explain how Bulma and Batman are basically the same character