Bootleg topic! Real vs fake

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:12 am

My copy (from Amazon and in the digipack) is 7.42 GB, which unfortunately means that your copy must be a bootleg where they've compressed two layers in one. I don't think having over 170 minutes of video on a single layer even qualifies for the official DVD spec.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:38 am

Shame the discs are bootleg. If the OP bought it relatively recent or so, he might be able to get his money back via Paypal if he paid by such.

Don't know how a chargeback would work in his country.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:13 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Shame the discs are bootleg. If the OP bought it relatively recent or so, he might be able to get his money back via Paypal if he paid by such.

Don't know how a chargeback would work in his country.
I know right, if the packaging and discs themselves don't convince someone then looking at the disc capacity will because a legit DVD will have way more than the bootleg discs do. If i would have to guess the video quality probably isn't nearly as good as the official sets and also highly compressed as well.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:04 am

Can you post a few screenshots? I'm interested to see how it looks. Its a shame cause I think the packing is better than the official lol

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:54 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Can you post a few screenshots? I'm interested to see how it looks. Its a shame cause I think the packing is better than the official lol
That time a bootlegger has better packaging for Dragon Ball than FUNimation's own. xD

I wonder if that's purchasable somewhere (just the cases).

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:14 pm

I also remember reading several years ago that there were orange brick bootlegs that looked identical to the real things, but they were compressed to single layer and looked way shittier than normal.

So if you're in the used market for some orange bricks, you need to be extremely careful there too, and make sure you check your disk size.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks for all the info and help. I bought them brand-new sealed as well. I'm in conversation with the seller.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I also remember reading several years ago that there were orange brick bootlegs that looked identical to the real things, but they were compressed to single layer and looked way shittier than normal.

So if you're in the used market for some orange bricks, you need to be extremely careful there too, and make sure you check your disk size.
Yeah, just looking at the packaging and discs themselves won't do you any good because bootleggers can make them look almost like the real things. It's once you delve deeper with actually inspecting the contents on the computer that it becomes clearer.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:07 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:I also remember reading several years ago that there were orange brick bootlegs that looked identical to the real things, but they were compressed to single layer and looked way shittier than normal.

Yeah, just looking at the packaging and discs themselves won't do you any good because bootleggers can make them look almost like the real things. It's once you delve deeper with actually inspecting the contents on the computer that it becomes clearer.
This happens with Music CDs too but if you know the catalog number and label, it's easy to tell if it's fake or genuine.

Dragon Ball: The Path to Power - Original Soundtrack has an official CD release and a bootleg one, the bootleg honestly looks like the real deal and I fell for it, only to realize sometime later I had bought a bootleg copy.

Real: https://vgmdb.net/album/55431
Fake: https://vgmdb.net/album/55435

Still enjoyed the score, though. :)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:23 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

This happens with Music CDs too but if you know the catalog number and label, it's easy to tell if it's fake or genuine.

Dragon Ball: The Path to Power - Original Soundtrack has an official CD release and a bootleg one, the bootleg honestly looks like the real deal and I fell for it, only to realize sometime later I had bought a bootleg copy.

Sometimes it's easy to miss the little details and think something is legit when it really isn't.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

I learnt from My Life in Gaming that a fair way to tell if a soundtrack is official is if it prominently displays the logo(s) of the creators. For example, the Chrono Cross soundtrack has a big fat Square Enix logo on the back of the cover. SM I think was actually one of the companies they talked about who are well-known for their bootleg OSTs.

Also, am I the only one who feels that Path to Power has one of the best scores in a Dragon Ball product? I love the little theme they play throughout Bulma meeting Goku.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:04 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

Not if the digital files are identical, as they are in many bootlegs.

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:12 pm

cgeorge1989

Post by cgeorge1989 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:23 pm

So I just recieved these from Amazon.

http://dvdhall.com/dragon-ball-season-1-5-3

I looked up the size of the discs. Their each 4.1GB. However the menus and video quality is compressed...

My verdict = definitely bootleg.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:26 pm

cgeorge1989 wrote:So I just recieved these from Amazon.

http://dvdhall.com/dragon-ball-season-1-5-3

I looked up the size of the discs. Their each 4.1GB. However the menus and video quality is compressed...

My verdict = definitely bootleg.
Wow, that blue is seriously off, it's more of a cyan colour than what it's supposed to be!

cgeorge1989

Post by cgeorge1989 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:33 pm

The ones I got are the right color. Not like these but everything else is the same.

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi! because I don't want to start a new topic, I place my question here:

Are those real? It said: King piccolo saga part 4. I dont see these very often.

Image$_86 (81) by Bernhard I, on Flickr

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Unless it's a different region than N America, there is no King Piccolo Saga Part 4. There are only two.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:33 pm

ahh... and some research!: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17076

Is it so hard in the Netherlands to find the right stuff? :| :problem:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:45 pm

bernhard90 wrote:Hi! because I don't want to start a new topic, I place my question here:

Are those real? It said: King piccolo saga part 4. I dont see these very often.

Image$_86 (81) by Bernhard I, on Flickr
I can tell those are (well done) bootlegs, because....

A. While with the exception of the fourth pack that is the official artwork used on the old Saga set releases the Piccolo Daimao portion was in fact two sets only.

B. No company/distributor logos of any kind.