How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:17 am

How could a new DB movie be more successful than DBS: Broly and make more money?

What kind of DB movie could achieve that and under what circumstances?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Post by PFM18 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:43 am

It couldn't, and it won't.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 am

Maybe a crazy crossover with another franchise, a super notable director that's widely recognized abroad, or a film featuring some Hollywood talent in the dub. A wider release in North America could also bolster the next film's profits, though Funimation seems to think there's too much volatility involved. Broly was Funimation's chance in particular to pull in way more money on the film than they did, and they pretty much blew it by sticking with a limited release again.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:01 pm

A two-hour fight scene out of a runtime of two hours will most certainly surpass it.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:01 pm

I don't see how it could, but it wouldn't hurt anybody for them to try. Hopefully Toei will learn the right lessons from Broli i.e. its success behooves them to continue producing content of a similarly high calibre. It wasn't just successful because it was Dragon Ball - they clearly put a lot more love and care into this movie than any other piece of animation since the 2013 renaissance, and now they know that it pays off to go the extra mile in producing top-drawer stuff.

Word of mouth was definitely a factor in the international box office. Just anecdotally, my flatmate doesn't even like anime and she loved the movie and started recommending it to people. Literally all she knows about DB is that FighterZ is fun and there's a character who looks/acts like our sphynx cats.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:36 pm

I think it also helped that DBS left a good taste in everyone's mouth, from the UI fight, Goku & Freeza tag fight and the way the show ended with promise of new things and the fact there wasn't any new materiel between until the Broly film, DBS brand went strength to strength while it was off the air & the marketing both domestically and internationally was also great. Not to mention the biggest draw of a canonised Broly. Then of course the hype of new deisgns and showcase of animation.

I think it's gonna be hard to replicate these conditions, for example Shintani's deisgns might be the norm now so a new movie with similar art style to Broly won't have that omg wow factor anymore.

If we get a new film I don't think it would be right to hold it to Broly.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Well there's two parts to this.

1. The extent to which the movie is marketed and released.

2. The content of the movie and it's selling point.

The former is simple enough, because Broly was successful it guarantees that the next movie will once again receive more extensive marketing, will be released across more theatres, with more showing, more days and maybe more countries.. That will give it an advantage over Broly straight off.

As for the content of the movie that could be anything but they have been capitalising on bringing back fan favourite characters. First it was Frieza, then Future Trunks, then to a lesser extent Android 17 and now Broly.

There's only the one character left who would be popular enough that bringing him back would be considered a selling point and that's Bardock.

So I suppose some kind of story where Bardock didn't actually die or was brought back by some other antagonist to be used. He reunites with Goku, has a big fight with him, regains control, allies with his son and they defeat the true villain. Kinda like a Towa/Mira/Masked Saiyan deal but done properly.

Transformations are always a big selling point and there wasn't a new one in Broly so give Goku a new form, an Ultra Instinct 2 and people will show up to see that. They could not use Broly again for a while and save him for the next movie so seeing him again after what would be a few years would be a selling point.

Oh there's plenty they could do to have it surpass Broly if they put their mind to it, I have no doubt about that at all.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:30 pm

I don't think they'll match the hit of Broly in terms of the money it made.

But, I could absolutely see them making another movie this good in a couple of years. Perhaps even better, if they're more willing to go into new territory, as opposed to Broly's rather strong reliance on being more of a refreshed/rejigged take on older material.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:39 pm

Bullza wrote: Transformations are always a big selling point and there wasn't a new one in Broly so give Goku a new form, an Ultra Instinct 2 and people will show up to see that. They could not use Broly again for a while and save him for the next movie so seeing him again after what would be a few years would be a selling point.
There would be no need too, they could just make UI the new mascot form of modern DB. SSGSS managed to be the mascot form for modern DB for almost half decade now, it would probably have another few years left just in time for a new movie, then that would be a prefect time to make UI the new mascot form.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:42 pm

If we're talking financial success, it would need to be "Dragon Ball Super: Super Saiyan 4 Broly vs Golden Coola (feat. an original score by Faulconer Productions)" or some shit like that.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:24 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:If we're talking financial success, it would need to be "Dragon Ball Super: Super Saiyan 4 Broly vs Golden Coola (feat. an original score by Faulconer Productions)" or some shit like that.
So basically DBH the movie?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:04 am

I think Super Broly did fantastic considering the vast majority of people who went to see it were Dragon Ball fans rather than casual moviegoers.

I still think a new movie could do even better if it gets an even wider release and longer run, especially if the story involves Goku, Vegeta, Broly, Freeza and one more fan favourite character like Cooler or Bardock.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:04 am

Well, Super Broly was far, far more toward what people stateside remember fondly about DBZ - it being absolutely badass rather than typical exposition-heavy shonen fare. It went against the grain of the mood of DBS, and that was a good thing if you're going to rehash a character from those days.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:04 am

Idk, Broly was one of DB's biggest mainstream/canon fanservice projections ever. Like, we got Gogeta, Broly, and Bardock (some of the most popular characters in the franchise) all in one movie, and i'm honestly not sure how that can be topped unless we get some huge ass finale movie with Ultra Instinct Goku teaming up with all of the God of Destructions and angles to fight a canon Janemba. (jk)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:22 am

superfan2024 wrote:Idk, Broly was one of DB's biggest mainstream/canon fanservice projections ever. Like, we got Gogeta, Broly, and Bardock (some of the most popular characters in the franchise) all in one movie, and i'm honestly not sure how that can be topped unless we get some huge ass finale movie with Ultra Instinct Goku teaming up with all of the God of Destructions and angles to fight a canon Janemba. (jk)
I think people want a lot more Bardock than what we got in Super Broly, because his appearance in that movie was after all part of an extended fleshback. Ironically I've heard lots of people saying they want Goku to meet this father he never knew and build a relationship with him. Who knows maybe Goku's acknowledgement of his true name and accepting his saiyan heritage will lead to something.

Maybe we will get a movie where Goku uses the Dragon Balls to revive planet Vegeta, and all the saiyans to have another world of warriors to fight with, the saiyans join Freeza and Cooler out of fear of annihilation but Bardock and later Vegeta and Broly when they hear about what happened team up with Goku and they end up having to take on Freeza and Cooler's new forces in a massive battle royale. Throw in Gogeta, give him a purple haired form and you have a movie that could hit $150 million worldwide.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:28 am

Gogeta vs Vegetto.

The final answer to this settled in a fully canon movie :lol:

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:11 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Idk, Broly was one of DB's biggest mainstream/canon fanservice projections ever. Like, we got Gogeta, Broly, and Bardock (some of the most popular characters in the franchise) all in one movie, and i'm honestly not sure how that can be topped unless we get some huge ass finale movie with Ultra Instinct Goku teaming up with all of the God of Destructions and angles to fight a canon Janemba. (jk)
I think people want a lot more Bardock than what we got in Super Broly, because his appearance in that movie was after all part of an extended fleshback. Ironically I've heard lots of people saying they want Goku to meet this father he never knew and build a relationship with him. Who knows maybe Goku's acknowledgement of his true name and accepting his saiyan heritage will lead to something.

Maybe we will get a movie where Goku uses the Dragon Balls to revive planet Vegeta, and all the saiyans to have another world of warriors to fight with, the saiyans join Freeza and Cooler out of fear of annihilation but Bardock and later Vegeta and Broly when they hear about what happened team up with Goku and they end up having to take on Freeza and Cooler's new forces in a massive battle royale. Throw in Gogeta, give him a purple haired form and you have a movie that could hit $150 million worldwide.
No offense, but i'm getting a bit tired of all this Saiyan mumbo jumbo. I just want to go back to seeing a new villain with new fresh stories and techniques without having Saiyan ancestry or SAIYANS LOVE TO FIGHT, MY PRIDE, BLAH BLAH BLAH. Hopefully this new Moro arc doesn't take that turn.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:24 pm

Just come up with appealing new characters, provide more broader and mainstream distribution of the film internationally and market the hell out of Toriyama's creative involvement, and you've got a money printer on your hands.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:02 pm

I'd be up for the crossover idea. Like with say, Marvel or DC.

Not the comic book branch of DC at the moment (the turn that branch of the company has taken recently is NOT good), but with an animated universe or something. It could be a reality warping event/crisis where the two franchises find their Earths suddenly combined (not the characters, just the Earths). Goku pesters Superman for a fight while he's trying to be a reporter, Vegeta gets ticked off by finding a bat-shaped shuriken spying on him, Piccolo and Martian Manhunter see one another, then go about their own business, Wonder Woman finds Beerus' pettiness different, if just as frustrating as that of the Greek pantheon, etc.

The event or person responsible could be say, a 5th Dimensional Imp. A being whom would be completely out of the Dragon Ball world's depth, with the DC people wondering which one it was that made the whole mess happen. And the only way to beat an Imp, is to either make them say their name backwards, or otherwise beat them at their own game.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 pm

The Broli movie itself probably could have sold more tickets in the US if it had a wider, longer running release. That's something worth considering once you get another good movie going.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!